• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Starfield is nowhere near done

FrankWza

Give me a break. These games have the potential to be very popular, and very good.

And if you look at Skyrim sales, it looks like it sold quite a bit more initially on 360 than PS3 which means maybe Bethesda games skew more towards the MS demographic. Maybe that just meant it made more sense for MS to buy them.

if Sony bought them plenty of Sony only players would be saying it was a killer acquisition. Obviously the proof is in the pudding and we won't know what the effect is, but this downplaying of whatever is occurring on the "other side" drives me bonkers.

I really question if people like playing good games, or just need to engage in team sports, more or less.
I was commenting on the rumor they tried to make starfield an exclusive before the purchase. If that were true and they had secured the exclusive window they might have been counting it for this year and maybe wouldn’t have launched Ratchet and Horizon or whatever else they have planned for the rest of this year. These delays have a domino effect. So, like I said, sometimes the best deal is the one you don’t make.

Dr Bass

I was commenting on the rumor they tried to make starfield an exclusive before the purchase. If that were true and they had secured the exclusive window they might have been counting it for this year and maybe wouldn’t have launched Ratchet and Horizon or whatever else they have planned for the rest of this year. These delays have a domino effect. So, like I said, sometimes the best deal is the one you don’t make.
Ok, my bad for misreading what you meant. I honestly didn't see the context of what you were responding to and thought it was just more "Bethesda games suck" type of stuff I am seeing around at parts. My point would stand if responding to that, but that's not what you were talking about.

FrankWza

Ok, my bad for misreading what you meant. I honestly didn't see the context of what you were responding to and thought it was just more "Bethesda games suck" type of stuff I am seeing around at parts. My point would stand if responding to that, but that's not what you were talking about.
Np. As far as that thought, whenever people say that they may be commenting on the dev and not the publisher. I think they’re both called Bethesda. Not everyone is into elder scrolls but they may like arkane or ew 1 and 2 from tango. I don’t believe they’re talking about the entire catalog of games they publish.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Now compare how many first party games Sony showed last year that are out now vs Microsoft

I get it, folks have a fav brand. Its understandable.

But it amuses me that some keep trying to compare Sony and MS in this regard....when Sony has actual PS5 exclusives that are out now.....

Never mind that they have a cross gen game that's basically being bought with every PS5. Yeah, the PS5 version is probably outselling the PS4 version.

Lets also look at the PS4 games that launched the same year the PS5 launched.

Its literally no contest.

jroc74

This is Microsoft we're talking about, not Sony who shows their games at three E3s in a row.
Do you even realize how long its been since this happened?

Folks trying to compare MS to Sony for some of this stuff is not a good look.

Rolla

Banned
There's been a lot of hostility around this IP which oddly enough comes from gamers asking fellow gamers "What is Starfield." The fact that Schreier has been in the development of the game claiming the game isn't close to being ready is much needed context.

kyussman

It's hard to care about news like this when I've no idea when I'll even be able to get my hands on next gen consoles.

Disappointing news if true, other than hopefully halo, what else is there, Forza maybe? Again, I want to see something other than halo, forza, gears soon.

Yoboman

Gold Member
- Hellblade 2: Shown in 2019. No release date yet
- Everwild: Shown in 2019. No release date yet.
- Perfect Dark: Shown in 2020 as early in development. No release date yet.
- Fable: Shown in 2020 as early in development. No release date yet.
- Forza Motorspot: Shown in 2020 as early in development. No release date yet
- Starfield: Shown in 2018. No release date yet.
- Elder Scrolls 6: Shown in 2018. No release date yet. Not even in full production.
- Indiana Jones. Revealed in 2020. No release date yet.
- Halo Infinite. Shown in 2018. No release date yet.
He said Phil doesn’t like to do it. Sony made him do it. Phil was shedding tears as he was forced to make those announcements of games that won’t be seen for years. It was very tough on him. Phil is a nice guy, a games journalist told me so

Dick Jones

Gold Member
He said and I quote "nowhere near done". I mean I'm not bothered either way but E3 will put this to bed.
Unless there is a date at E3, both can be true. A showing of Starfield doesn't mean it is anywhere near done. An earlier comment that Spiderman was shown at E3 2016, 2017 & 2018 before being released that September.

Last edited:

Loope

I don't see a problem with it personally but with that strategy you gotta have good stuff to release during the meantime while people are waiting
Neither do i, i'm only waiting for Avowed right now, there are plenty of games on the market. But we all know how it goes when a company presents a game way ahead of time.The backlash is always immense. They could do it when they launch some quality games from the studios they bought/formed.That should bring them some goodwill.

Markio128

Gold Member
This could be reverse psychology so that when Starfield is announced as a late 2021 release, the E3 crowd go wild. Or it might not be out until next year. To be honest, I can’t see MS releasing another big game alongside Halo Infinite.

EDMIX

Gold Member
So, late 2022 or (more likely if development didn't really get going until 2019) early 2023 then?
yea, no to all of this. Late 2022? Do some of you really not hear just how little development we are talking about here on a NEW AAA IP....IN SPACE?

It sounds very unlikely.

The bulk of the team was working on Fallout76?!? Really?!? I had thought that only a small team made that piece of shit Fallout76 because most of the “A” team was working on Starfield.

That really worries me about Bethesda’s ability to make games that aren’t shit.

I'm a little worried hearing that too, but they were told to make Fallout 76, it sucks sure, but for all we know Starfield is nothing like it. Who knows.

Just over 2 years of full production for Bethesdas new huge space game?

Nah. Even without COVID it was never coming this year

Agreed completely. Thats like fucking saying God Of War is coming this year or something.

Its an established IP, has an existing engine, from a trusted team.....we all know that shit isn't coming this year.

Yet hey, a new IP, new engine assets, with covid and magically its coming in 2021 and started development in 2019? That sounds greatly unlikely.

Larlight

I'm gonna say right now this Jason guy is full of it. It doesn't make sense to show it this year if it's so way off.

Well that's how Bethesda USED to roll. Release a game shortly after E3. But now they are under Microsoft. They call the shots and they decide what and when something can be shown now.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Pandemic is a weak excuse. They knew this gen was coming 5 years ago. Should have been ready to launch some games in the first bloody Christmas.

Games sell consoles.
They released games for Xbox 1 in the build up to the new gen. The had a beta for Grounded released and a few days later claimed Halo is delayed, Battletoads was in August before the new console. Like fucking move Grounded and Battletoads to day 1 Series X, first and Xbox 1 three months later. Tell me Why was released after Halo was cancelled and before November. Give the new console something new and exclusive. How some cunts there never got sacked for the piss poor first party efforts breaks me. Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem or Bryank75 Bryank75 are huge Sony supporters and they couldn't actively fuck up MS's launch as bad if they tried.

Last edited:
I mean, are Bethesda games ever really done?

ClearSeparateBustard-size_restricted.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They released games for Xbox 1 in the build up to the new gen. The had a beta for Grounded released and a few days later claimed Halo is delayed, Battletoads was in August before the new console. Like fucking move Grounded and Battletoads to day 1 Series X, first and Xbox 1 three months later. Tell me Why was released after Halo was cancelled and before November. Give the new console something new and exclusive. How some cunts there never got sacked for the piss poor first party efforts breaks me. Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem or Bryank75 Bryank75 are huge Sony supporters and they couldn't actively fuck up MS's launch as bad if they tried.

We really can't, when Phil is still considered a good CEO after all the mess. He's probably using some Voodoo shit on the crowd and Satya.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
We really can't, when Phil is still considered a good CEO after all the mess. He's probably using some Voodoo shit on the crowd and Satya.
They released more exclusives in the six months prior to release of a new console than in the six months after release. If Xbox wasn't releasing games in a steady flow they should release the deadwood that caused it.

ZehDon

I mean, the being nowhere nearly done doesn't mean it isn't launching in 2021. Welcome to video games, I guess?

Lone Wolf

The bulk of the team was working on Fallout76?!? Really?!? I had thought that only a small team made that piece of shit Fallout76 because most of the “A” team was working on Starfield.

That really worries me about Bethesda’s ability to make games that aren’t shit.
This contradicts what Todd Howard said. He stated that it went to full production after Fallout 4.

jroc74

I dont know whats gonna be at MS/Bethesda's E3....but we are about to have a situation where Sony is gonna have 2 games from Bethesda that are 1 year timed exclusive to Playstation 5, probably both launching this year, while we have no idea what is even gonna launch this year for Xbox.

This shit is wild.

Top Bottom