• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grub] Playstation Showcase before E3: "Massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5"

Sony itself is saving its own actual good stuff for something else which is what's happening here, they're saving their good stuff for the PlayStation Showcase that's gonna happen before E3. It was supposed to happen last Fall but they kept pushing it back cause their developers weren't ready, but now that those developers are ready, they're going to have a massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5.

Drake Reaction GIF by DJ Khaled
Rebuilding Kelvin Gastelum GIF by UFC
GIF by South Park
season 4 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Edit: Apologies to Grubb for missing a B in his grubby name

Any predictions?

A few studios that could reveal things:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Factions / TLOU2 PS5 Remaster
  • Bluepoint's Next Game
  • Bend Studio Teaser / Sucker Punch Teaser
  • New Uncharted project from unknown studio
  • Team Asobi - AstroBot's next Game
  • Third party PSVR2 announcements - HL:Alyx
  • Partner Studio Games (Deviation, etc)
They certainly SHOULD have an amazing show since they've revealed so little

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Second phase....what is this? MCU? Sony needs to just show their stuff,enough with this pretentious shit.

Also I swear to God,If I hear the phrase "they're saving the good stuff for x show" one more time....They always say this and when the big show arrives it's always followed by...."Well of course they didn't show all the good stuff, they're saving it for the next show"....rinse and repeat bullshit tactic that breeds dissapointment! I used to get so excited for this stuff but after years of this industry just teasing hype with nothing coming out of it I'm just left jaded.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Anything less than a 10/10 show is weak. Been a year and a half since a showcase. Not a single new game announcement since what, Spiderman/God of War?

Its time to show up with actual NEXT GEN looking games, New IP, and generation defining games.

Last edited:
I'm assuming Sony is going to announce a bunch of first party 2024-2025 releases. Some of them will have CGI trailers like Spider-Man 2 had over a year ago. And I'm guessing we get gameplay of FF16, Spider-Man 2, Factions, and a few of their smaller studios working on GAAS.

But I think the days of Sony showing gameplay footage years out is over. They have already stated that they don't want to put undue pressure on their devs. Not to mention, I don't believe Sony needs much advertising to sell gamers on any new releases from any of their premiere studios. God of War Ragnarok had the least amount of marketing of any Sony game I can remember, and it sold like hot cakes

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hell yeah, imagine a show that would have:
  • TLOU Online gameplay and explanation
  • Santa Monica's next IP
  • Bend's new IP
  • Firewalk's new game
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2 announcement
  • KOTOR Remake gameplay (maybe)
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Horizon Online
  • Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Twisted Metal
  • Helldivers 2
  • Wolverine in-engine trailer
  • Death Stranding 2 gameplay
  • Next Astrobot
  • Spider-Man 2 gameplay
Not to mention other unannounced first-party titles and some big third-party titles. 🔥

Last edited:
I'm assuming Sony is going to announce a bunch of first party 2024-2025 releases. Some of them will have CGI trailers like Spider-Man 2 had over a year ago. And I'm guessing we get gameplay of FF16, Spider-Man 2, Factions, and a few of their smaller studios working on GAAS.

But I think the days of Sony showing gameplay footage years out is over. They have already stated that they don't want to put undue pressure on their devs. Not to mention, I don't believe Sony needs much advertising to sell gamers on any new releases from any of their premiere studios. God of War Ragnarok had the least amount of marketing of any Sony game I can remember, and it sold like hot cakes
you lack of vision

Konami is now Sony's first party studio followed by sega or capcom ( joking ) be surprised if konami did join Sony's first party studios. But if the rumours are true about castlevania then I'm all for it

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Konami is now Sony's first party studio followed by sega or capcom ( joking ) be surprised if konami did join Sony's first party studios. But if the rumours are true about castlevania then I'm all for it
The rumors are that Sony and Konami will soon announce a partnership.

I don't think it'll be an acquisition, but more like a partnership where Sony will help revive Konami old IPs with their production support, and Konami will bring their games exclusively to PlayStation.

Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Metal Gear Solid are all inbound on PS5! 🔥

Iced Arcade

Spider-Man 2
Factions
Bluepoint's Next Game
AstroBot VR game
More Konami licenced IPs
Ghost of toshima 2 title screen
Wolverine
More PC releases

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are people really that obtuse they don’t realise that every 1st party game revealed by Sony in 2020 has released now?
Except for Wolverine and Spider-Man 2. But yes, they have released like more than 90% of the games they showed before the console launch. It's time to for the next slate of games to be revealed.

Edit: Poltz is right. Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 were revealed in 2021, not 2020.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The rumors are that Sony and Konami will soon announce a partnership.

I don't think it'll be an acquisition, but more like a partnership where Sony will help revive Konami old IPs with their production support, and Konami will bring their games exclusively to PlayStation.

Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Metal Gear Solid are all inbound on PS5! 🔥

This, to me, really makes the most sense. Konami's market cap is $6.5 billion. Even without paying any kind of additional premium, that's way too much cash for maybe 3 decently valuable IP and virtually no real development teams to add to PlayStation. Partnering up and helping Konami revive its gaming segment while getting exclusive titles in exchange is definitely the way to go here. Plus, I never got the impression that Konami was open to the idea of acquisition anyway.

It seems like you missed a lot. The first phase had:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Sackboy
  • Astrobot
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • TLOU Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • PS VR 2
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Firewall Ultra
  • GT 7 PS VR 2
james franco GIF

Funny thing is after beating FarCry 6 I felt like hurting myself. Had a good time with the game but I felt like it didn't punish me enough. So I'm going with a PS4 title called Sekiro.

Kind of funny how I still have plenty to play since I missed out on many titles from the PS4 era. Even though I had a PS4 since launch.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This, to me, really makes the most sense. Konami's market cap is $6.5 billion. Even without paying any kind of additional premium, that's way too much cash for maybe 3 decently valuable IP and virtually no real development teams to add to PlayStation. Partnering up and helping Konami revive its gaming segment while getting exclusive titles in exchange is definitely the way to go here. Plus, I never got the impression that Konami was open to the idea of acquisition anyway.
yep, acquiring Konami won't do much. They can use that $7-$8 billion in so many better ways. Getting full exclusivity on these 3 Konami IPs (and maybe even Bomberman and Contra) would be much more strategic and financially viable.

Sony is also helping produce the upcoming Oscar Isaac's Metal Gear Solid film, so they are trying to create the same type of synergy that they did with TLOU P1 and TLOU HBO Show. That means the upcoming Metal Gear game will be a PS5 exclusive, in exchange of Sony's help with the game and the movie, and maybe even funding for the game.

0neAnd0nly

Instead of focusing on guesses of what may be there, as so much has been covered - I will mention a few things I would personally want to see (some more realistic than others):

• Update on Wolverine game. This is probably the biggest for me.
  • The rumor of Sony’s FPS/ TPS that’s been in development for a while to be SOCOM or Killzone and to be teased in some capacity.
  • Confirmation of a future game featuring the LBP -OR- Astrobot world
  • Ueda / GenDesign teasing new game

Top Bottom