• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grub] Playstation Showcase before E3: "Massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5"

Yoboman

Depending on how good that project is turning out to be, may even be a timed exclusive by PlayStation.

Ueda might need help because it's a new studio, and Sony could have helped him set up.
Its not really a new studio though it's been around since 2014 and worked on the Last Guardian

It seems like you missed a lot. The first phase had:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Sackboy
  • Astrobot
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • TLOU Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • PS VR 2
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Firewall Ultra
  • GT 7 PS VR 2
Gamers and short term memory. Name a better duo. Yes, that first year showcase had pretty much all the heavy hitters + the indie darlings.

vivftp

Second phase....what is this? MCU? Sony needs to just show their stuff,enough with this pretentious shit.

Also I swear to God,If I hear the phrase "they're saving the good stuff for x show" one more time....They always say this and when the big show arrives it's always followed by...."Well of course they didn't show all the good stuff, they're saving it for the next show"....rinse and repeat bullshit tactic that breeds dissapointment! I used to get so excited for this stuff but after years of this industry just teasing hype with nothing coming out of it I'm just left jaded.

There's a difference between a State of Play and a Showcase.

A Showcase is where Sony typically brings out the big guns for third party announcements, and that's where they roll out their first party. State of Play rarely have first party announcements, typically they would include updates on already announced content and overall smaller stuff.

Sony hasn't held a Showcase since September 2021. As noted by Grubb, devs not being ready to show their games in 2022 was a reason we didn't get one last year. I'm also a fan of the theory that they've been holding back a showcase until console stock was able to actually catch up to demand. I mean, why hold a showcase to convince people to go out and buy your console, when you're already selling every single unit you can make? We know that Sony's set to ship a massive number of consoles next FY, so saving a showcase makes sense so people who are excited can actually go out and pick a PS5 up.

Incidentally this might explain why we got some unusually strong State of Plays featuring third party content in 2022, if they were originally meant for a Showcase, but that got canned since first party weren't ready.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its not really a new studio though it's been around since 2014 and worked on the Last Guardian
Yes, but that was with the support of PlayStation Studios: their tech, processes, producers, etc. It's not as easy to suddenly work without that support system, which is why they may or may not have needed some support.

Epic would be a good partner for them, but they may have also reached out to PlayStation as they'd already be comfortable and familiar with everything.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They need one as if that show was it until June, Holy shit. Hopefully there's something else before than....?
Really?

They just released PS VR 2, and new games keep popping up.
Today, they had a pretty good show, with several games launching in March.
Then in April, they have Horizon Burning Shores.
They'll most likely hold the show in May (that's "before E3 time," as Grubb originally said).

kyliethicc

good to have ya back

0WZTbw7.jpg

I think this is accurate.

We’ll likely see;

• Multiple first party single player games (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Sucker Punch)
  • Multiple first and second party GAAS games (TLOU, Deviation, Twisted Metal)
  • How serious they are taking PS+ extra and Ps+ premium.
  • PC expansion
  • PSVR2 games from 1st party teams

That’s very, very exciting.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really?

They just released PS VR 2, and new games keep popping up.
Today, they had a pretty good show, with several games launching in March.
Then in April, they have Horizon Burning Shores.
They'll most likely hold the show in May (that's "before E3 time," as Grubb originally said).

That was not a pretty good show...it was abysmal when you think it's sonys first major show of 2023...

They have just launched psvr 2 and a day after showed a weak as hell set of trailers for games....do they even care about psvr 2? Doesn't look like it.

Then a bunch of multi plats you can play anywhere. They even showed the pc version of destiny 2 and they own the studio.

It was the worst show of anyone in years..if you think otherwise ....Well...

What do they have for the next 7 months or maybe more?

Poltz

That was not a pretty good show...it was abysmal when you think it's sonys first major show of 2023...

They have just launched psvr 2 and a day after showed a weak as hell set of trailers for games....do they even care about psvr 2? Doesn't look like it.

Then a bunch of multi plats you can play anywhere. They even showed the pc version of destiny 2 and they own the studio.

It was not a major show and they released GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, MLB The Show and The Last of Us Part I last year.

Last edited:

Helghan

• Demon's Souls
  • Sackboy
  • Astrobot
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • TLOU Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • PS VR 2
  • Firewall Ultra
  • GT 7 PS VR 2
Right I forgot gran turismo and ratchet and clank, the rest not so much.

Moses85

That is no News…

PS4 is not this important anymore
PS5 Lifecycle is now 2,5 years

Sony is not showing up at E3

This insider news could come also from me

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

PS VR 2 launch games are "week as hell" which means Sony doesn't care about PS VR 2. Yet they have more games than Xbox Series X, Xbox One X, and Quest 2 at launch.

Are you implying that Microsoft does not even care about Xbox and Meta does not care about Quest? 🤔
Then a bunch of multi plats you can play anywhere.
Here are the console exclusives that were shown just in this State of Play:
  • Tchia
  • Wayfinder
  • Street Fighter 6 (PS4)
  • Humanity
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • The Foglands
  • Green Hell
  • Synapse
  • Journey to Foundation
  • Before Your Eyes
So 11 out of 16 games (or 68% games) are PlayStation console exclusive.

You guys really are funny, I swear 😄 But if you gotta troll, at least troll harder. This is quite easy to spot and counter, and not very fun to be honest 😄

John Wick

This, to me, really makes the most sense. Konami's market cap is $6.5 billion. Even without paying any kind of additional premium, that's way too much cash for maybe 3 decently valuable IP and virtually no real development teams to add to PlayStation. Partnering up and helping Konami revive its gaming segment while getting exclusive titles in exchange is definitely the way to go here. Plus, I never got the impression that Konami was open to the idea of acquisition anyway.
Spot on! Pointless buying Konami as they don't add anything to Sony. They could buy the IP or do a partnership as suggested above.

John Wick

It was a state of Play not a E3 type of showcase event. They showed various games. Most of which will release sooner rather than later.

PS VR 2 launch games are "week as hell" which means Sony doesn't care about PS VR 2. Yet they have more games than Xbox Series X, Xbox One X, and Quest 2 at launch.

Are you implying that Microsoft does not even care about Xbox and Meta does not care about Quest? 🤔

• Tchia
  • Wayfinder
  • Street Fighter 6 (PS4)
  • Humanity
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • The Foglands
  • Green Hell
  • Synapse
  • Journey to Foundation
  • Before Your Eyes

You guys really are funny, I swear 😄 But if you gotta troll, at least troll harder. This is quite easy to spot and counter, and not very fun to be honest 😄

Might be time to put him on ignore. He's a straight up troll now who never brings anything to the discussion.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If they combine the rumored revision with a price cut alongside this showcase. They will be smelling blood.
For sure they will bring it. Rumors are that this new version will launch in September (along with Spider-Man 2 or TLOU Online maybe).

Because the base version won't have a disc, its price will be lower -- at the very least it'll match the PS5 price before they increased it due to inflation, i.e., $499 worldwide.

And they really are smelling blood. The PS+ Premium sudden jump in quantity and quality and promotion is also a bellwether.

Last edited:
Hell yeah, imagine a show that would have:
  • TLOU Online gameplay and explanation
  • Santa Monica's next IP
  • Bend's new IP
  • Firewalk's new game
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2 announcement
  • KOTOR Remake gameplay (maybe)
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  • Horizon Online
  • Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Twisted Metal
  • Helldivers 2
  • Wolverine in-engine trailer
  • Death Stranding 2 gameplay
  • Next Astrobot
  • Spider-Man 2 gameplay
Not to mention other unannounced first-party titles and some big third-party titles. 🔥

New model PS5 o PS5 Slim.

N30RYU

Won't happen if the activision blizzard deal isn't solved. Sony is trying to fly underradar and don't wanna flex game muscle.

vivftp

Won't happen if the activision blizzard deal isn't solved. Sony is trying to fly underradar and don't wanna flex game muscle.

I really doubt that's a significant factor in anything, assuming it even is. Also, regulators have inside documents into Sony's operation, they know what Sony are capable of outputting, they're not morons.

Grubb saying that's devs just weren't ready in 2022 for the showcase just makes infinitely more sense. As does the theory that they would wait for console stock availability to be high before holding a showcase to convince people to go out and get a PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

• Tchia
  • Wayfinder
  • Street Fighter 6 (PS4)
  • Humanity
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • The Foglands
  • Green Hell
  • Synapse
  • Journey to Foundation
  • Before Your Eyes

Street fighter 6 ain't exclusive.

Look, I get you need to defend your beloved Sony but I'm not getting into it if you didn't think that was weak. Good for you.

I also said, their showing for psvr 2 was weak. Is that what you think is OK to show one day after it launched? Some little dribble of the same looking games?

You do you. That ain't good enough. Look at the polls. It's comfortably at trash to terrible rating.

I think tchia looks amazing though. 👏

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm looking forward what these fresh new studios will show like:

- Deviation Games
- Haven
- Firewalk
- FireSprite
- Ballistic Moon

Playstation is going to try again to differentiate itself from its competitor.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
The double standards from these journos are amazing. Just admit it was among the most disappointing shows ever, you won't be blacklisted by Sony.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Street fighter 6 ain't exclusive.
Both Street Fighter and RE4 Remake are PlayStation console exclusives for last-gen. They are releasing on PS4 but not on Xbox One.
Look, I get you need to defend your beloved Sony but I'm not getting into it if you didn't think that was weak. Good for you.

I also said, their showing for psvr 2 was weak. Is that what you think is OK to show one day after it launched? Some little dribble of the same looking games?

You do you. That ain't good enough. Look at the polls. It's comfortably at trash to terrible rating.
Actually, no, I don't need to defend PlayStation. Why would anyone feel the need to defend something that's already on top?

PS VR 2 lineup is absolutely fantastic. it's your bias that doesn't allow you to see that.

Resident Evil Village, Horizon CoTM, Walking Dead, Moss 2, GT 7, Pavlov, Wingman, Song in the Smoke, Beat Saber, No Man's Sky, Star Wars, Tetris, Cities Skyline, Kayak. And there are 25 more games that are available in the launch window. There are too many games -- way more than games that were available with other hardware launches, Xbox One X, Series X, PS VR 1, Quest 2, etc.

So your trolling that PS VR 2 is not launching with any games has already been proven wrong.

You also trolled with a false claim that the State of Play only showed "a bunch of multiplat games." I listed and proved that 68% of the games are PS console exclusives.

You brought up "how bad the State of Play was" in a thread about an upcoming PlayStation Showcase, trying to derail the thread. You also tried derailing the thread by bringing in incorrect information about the multiplats which I had to correct. Now that you're caught with that, you are pretending to take the high ground by saying "you do you; I'm not getting into it."

You ain't fooling anyone.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Both Street Fighter and RE4 Remake are PlayStation console exclusives for last-gen. They are releasing on PS4 but not on Xbox One.

Actually, no, I don't need to defend PlayStation. Why would anyone feel the need to defend something that's already on top?

PS VR 2 lineup is absolutely fantastic. it's your bias that doesn't allow you to see that.

Resident Evil Village, Horizon CoTM, Walking Dead, Moss 2, GT 7, Pavlov, Wingman, Song in the Smoke, Beat Saber, No Man's Sky, Star Wars, Tetris, Cities Skyline, Kayak. And there are 25 more games that are available in the launch window. There are too many games -- way more than games that were available with other hardware launches, Xbox One X, Series X, PS VR 1, Quest 2, etc.

So your trolling that PS VR 2 is not launching with any games has already been proven wrong.

You also trolled with a false claim that the State of Play only showed "a bunch of multiplat games." I listed and proved that 68% of the games are PS console exclusives.

You brought up "how bad the State of Play was" in a thread about an upcoming PlayStation Showcase, trying to derail the thread. You also tried derailing the thread by bringing in incorrect information about the multiplats which I had to correct. Now that you're caught with that, you are pretending to take the high ground by saying "you do you; I'm not getting into it."

You ain't fooling one.

Oh dear. You are using ps4 vs xbox one in your argument? Cmon man.

And if you've seen my posts I think psvr hardware is amazing.

Let's see what the market thinks :)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I’m still waiting for the first phase of the PS5 to really start
Seriously. The only exclusive, next gen, game I played on it in over 2 years was Ratchet. Sure the PS5 versions of games are better, but I paid 500 + tax for something new, not a PS4ProPlus.

Sanepar

• Demon's Souls
  • Sackboy
  • Astrobot
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • TLOU Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • PS VR 2
  • Firewall Ultra
  • GT 7 PS VR 2
Compare this with ps4 first 2 years... it is incredible the diff...

The rumors are that Sony and Konami will soon announce a partnership.

I don't think it'll be an acquisition, but more like a partnership where Sony will help revive Konami old IPs with their production support, and Konami will bring their games exclusively to PlayStation.

Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Metal Gear Solid are all inbound on PS5! 🔥

Bring back Ring of Red........ pls Sony!!!

Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg

Elios83

I don't know if he's just guessing but it's a guess that makes total sense.
In mid 2023 developers should be ready to announce late 2023 and 2024 games.
Really looking forward to all the surprises.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
james franco GIF

Funny thing is after beating FarCry 6 I felt like hurting myself. Had a good time with the game but I felt like it didn't punish me enough. So I'm going with a PS4 title called Sekiro.

Kind of funny how I still have plenty to play since I missed out on many titles from the PS4 era. Even though I had a PS4 since launch.
Best game in the souls genre, i thinking of playing again after i just beat elden ring and imho it fucking sucks

Top Bottom