• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb Dragon Age Dreadwolf delayed to Summer 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dragon-Age-Dreadwolf-e1654197124211.jpeg.webp

A new report suggests that Dragon Age: Dreadwolf has been internally delayed. The fourth mainline entry in the Dragon Age series was announced back in June 2022. While a release window was left out, reports suggested that it might be released in 2023, but it has apparently been further pushed to 2024.

According to journalist, Jeff Grubb, the title was internally planned for a September 2023 release but was pushed to 2024. The latest development came during the latest episode of Grubb’s Game Mess Mornings:

Internally at one point, they were looking at was next month, Sept 2023, but the game gets getting pushed back, and they moved the internal expectations to March 2024. And they pushed it back again, now its not coming out till summer 2024, and its very likely its moved again.

2024 will mark around 9 years since the game’s development began. The title apparently began its development in 2015. It was first planned as a narrative-driven game, then became a live-service title, finally reaching its final form as a single-player.

Wait, what's hype about that lol? I have low expections about this one anyway, considering the shitshow that Bioware has been for years. The only good product they've released since Dragon Age Inquisition has been the Mass Effect Legendary Collection. But... I'm a sucker for their games so I'll probably buy it day one anyway...

Last edited:

Dazraell

I think not releasing Dreadwolf this year might be a blessing in disguise to them as 2023 is already packed and most of buzz around RPG genre will be dominated by Baldur's Gate III and Starfield. At a same time, news of layoffs and internal pressure on delivering is really worrying. Not to mention that in eyes of their publisher BioWare's best-selling game was Inquisition, which I honestly disliked. I would rather much like a return to formula from Origins, which focused more on main quest than pointless busywork related to expanding Inquisition

Edder1

The ones studio nobody is gonna cry about if they close, except the very naive die hard Bioware fans that is of course (if there are any left).

Last edited:
I read that now swtor is spun off to the ether, the revenue the game was generating to fund these bioware games is gone and they are pretty much do or die now.

Wildebeest

How do you work on a game for ten years and seemingly not even care what sort of game it is? Some of these "cinematic" narrative first people have been huffing their own farts for too long.

Dazraell

How do you work on a game for ten years and seemingly not even care what sort of game it is? Some of these "cinematic" narrative first people have been huffing their own farts for too long.
Quite probably the execs and higher ups have a different wants and vision and their constant influence force the development team to change the direction of the game, creating chaos and lack of coherent and unified vision

Wildebeest

Quite probably the execs and higher ups have a different wants and vision and their constant influence force the development team to change the direction of the game, creating chaos and lack of coherent and unified vision
I've heard devs blame publishers so often, when the real problem was that they couldn't get their shit together for some reason or another.

Dazraell

I've heard devs blame publishers so often, when the real problem was that they couldn't get their shit together for some reason or another.
Reality isn't as black and white as you phrase it though. When your employer who pays you money tells they want something, you don't get your shit together, you have to do what you're told. The project is still in a same state and have to move forward in a course that was set, with or without you

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
WTF is that cutesy font and weird colorway in that screen? Is that design some kind of parody or something?
If I had no idea what Dragon Age was and I had to guess from that logo, my first guess would be some Netflix original animated movie where a bunch of queer gender-fluid otherkin battle for survival against cruel capitalist white people.

Wildebeest

Reality isn't as black and white as you phrase it though. When your employer who pays you money tells they want something, you don't get your shit together, you have to do what you're told. The project is still in a same state and have to move forward in a course that was set, with or without you
It is the job of the management of the studio to negotiate jobs, budgets and timescales with the publisher. If they just "do what they are told" they are bad at their jobs.

Regginator

Can't say I'm sad. I'm playing through the series for the first time and with the initial release date I wouldn't have made it through the final act of DA2 and the entirety of DA:I. Now this gives me more time. :)

Metnut

They have one shot to save that studio so they need to take their time and get this right. We havnt seen anything from this gsme yet, so about 12 months to release seems right.

Who actually thought the game was releasing this year when we have barely even seen a screenshot of it? It’s probably best if it does get delayed if they feel like it’s not ready. I definitely have concerns for the final product especially with the rumored GOW-style combat which imo probably isn’t a good idea for it, but we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
If I had no idea what Dragon Age was and I had to guess from that logo, my first guess would be some Netflix original animated movie where a bunch of queer gender-fluid otherkin battle for survival against cruel capitalist white people.
It’s fucking horrible! The original logo and cover art was basically a huge pool of blood and blood splatter, and they used an appropriate medieval/gothic font.

This new design is an abomination, you already know 90% of the characters in the game will be STRONG BLACK FEMALE!!!! queens and/or lesbians, and all the men in the game will be white and useless or white and evil.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll try it, assuming it comes to EA Play eventually. Anthem had some things that seemed high quality but fully shit the bed in terms of the multiplayer and GAAS elements. Maybe they can pull off something single player. Best to take whatever time is needed, but Bioware is definitely running out of chances.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Neon purple cyberpunk logo, just the right thing.

Reeks of purple haired designer.
All I know is that if its something new, that's good. We really don't need yet another fantasy Tolkien spin-off just playing it straight. If it's going for some ironic parody version of it, I'd actually be more interested.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
All I know is that if its something new, that's good. We really don't need yet another fantasy Tolkien spin-off just playing it straight. If it's going for some ironic parody version of it, I'd actually be more interested.
Ehh I think an ironic parody of Tolkien-style fantasy COULD be good if a) this weren’t part 4 of a series and b) you had some very talented, funny, non-woke writers doing it.

But this is 2023 BioWare we’re talking about. It’s going to have more in common with Tiny Tina’s Wonderworlds than with Month Python. Even the logo looks the same.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ehh I think an ironic parody of Tolkien-style fantasy COULD be good if a) this weren’t part 4 of a series and b) you had some very talented, funny, non-woke writers doing it.

But this is 2023 BioWare we’re talking about. It’s going to have more in common with Tiny Tina’s Wonderworlds than with Month Python. Even the logo looks the same.
I'm not optimistic lol. I don't like woke zoomer style humor / dialogue usually. But I had to just sit and think about it, and honestly if that's what the current employees actually feel a spark for making, I'd literally rather they try to make that since it would be at least something different. We've just had so many western fantasy RPGs playing it straight already. I'd be down for anything new. It may fail spectacularly though lol.

Complistic

Bioware went from my favorite game dev to a dev I'd only buy their games on sale in the span of about 15 years. Pretty impressive.

Top Bottom