• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jerry Springer Dead at 79

saintjules

The show was my afternoon delight, to the Price is Right when I was younger. RIP.

1C6iyH0.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh I remember the day years when I was still an emigrant in the US watching this show on my giant ugly ass tube TV in the living room and laughing my ass off.

RiP Legend.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great show. But I only watched it in the 90s when all those trashy shows really got going (Jenny Jones is another one). I googled it and didn't know his show kept going to 2018!

I dont remember much about the show except one time GWAR was one and one of the guys dressed as a worm or something ate Jerry.

MikeM

Thats too bad. He was the king of midget fights. His final thoughts always seemed to be on point tho.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
So the shows were completely staged right? I always thought so as a 9 year old.
From my understanding, about half and half.

I had a phase when I was 11 or 12 where I'd watch this late at night. It probably shaped a lot of my misanthropy and hatred of society.

GMCamaro

Nothing good or desirable is gained by being disrespectful about the death of another person, other than showing the true calibre of your character.
Whether it affects you or not, it is still a life that is lost.
You don't have to care or say anything nice about them, you just have to try not to be a jerk.
And on that note
jerry-springer.gif

R.I.P
You are correct. It was disrespectful of me.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I always wondered if those guests were real. In any case it gave a real fucked up view of Americans.

Last edited:

Toons

For someone who made a living off of trash tv I guess he at least presented himself as respectable. Cant hate the guy for being an entertainer

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Springer had a lot of charisma, he was a good public facing voice. Not that he used that voice for particularly Earth shattering things, but I think entertainment is a gift, and the ability to entertain is a blessing. Also, I'm lacking concrete confirmation, but I really wouldn't be shocked if, culturally, TJSS didn't play a large part in solidifying the comedic stereotypes about white trash or rednecks. I know on the other side of the aisle, the show probably did no favors to the LGBT community's image, but I'm just throwing noodles at walls at this point.

Regardless, RIP, and hope those affected can lean on each other.

Drew1440

RIP, I was watching a couple of reruns on Nosey, surprised to learn the show was still going until 2018. Had such a huge impact, I remember whenever there was a fight at school, everyone would be shouting 'Jerry, Jerry, Jerry'

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All these talk shows, scripted or not it doesn't matter. It's hilarious stuff.

I find it more amazing that even if it's all fake that Jerry and the rest of the TV hosts can keep a pretty straight face for most of the hour.

Top Bottom