• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Max Payne' star James McCaffrey dead at 65

Dane

46F3AFD9282297A369BDD7E0F187C9814C039FEF

mortal

Gold Member
Damn, the man had such a unique voice. RIP.

I wonder what this means for the upcoming remakes. I cannot imagine anyone else voicing Max Payne :(

00_Zer0

It was a pretty heavy game performance wise and some hardcore MP fans didn't like the setting. I personally loved it, worth a shot at $6.

On topic:

Fuck cancer.

Sad the remakes probably won't have him now.
Sweet Baby will probably come in and fuck the narrative all up just like their other contributions to games. I don't have high hopes if Remedy hands this over to Sweet Baby for DEI purposes. If the remakes are terrible gameplay wise or story wise I will stick with the old classics with brilliant performances by James.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fuck!
R.I.P šŸ˜”
Sweet Baby will probably come in and fuck the narrative all up just like their other contributions to games. I don't have high hopes if Remedy hands this over to Sweet Baby for DEI purposes. If the remakes are terrible gameplay wise or story wise I will stick with the old classics with brilliant performances by James.
We need a thread that tells us what games they are working on, it's a public service

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I always wanted him to sign my copy of MP3 but I don't think he did con appearances and stuff. GOATed performance from one of the best Third Person shooters ever made. Rest well James.

00_Zer0

Fuck!
R.I.P šŸ˜”

We need a thread that tells us what games they are working on, it's a public service
I agree. Hell, I saw Valves name on a list of customers Sweet Baby does business with, to what capacity I have no idea, but this pandering and cringe DEI narrative shit needs to stop or I will just stick to indie games that don't follow the cult narrative.

Damn that sucks. Definitely one of my favorite voice actors ever. He's been in so many good Remedy Games, but I have to say, Max Payne 3 was his finest moment. Rockstar used him to perfection. Sucks he won't be around anymore.

A lot of suffering in this world and seeing most of the planet feeling the need to be an additive to it because of their feelings really shows how much of a stain humanity and sentient existence is in general. It will change at all costs

Seriously they might as well shitcan the remakes unless they just re use and touch up the master recordings of his dialogue. James IS Max Payne. The Conroy comparison is apt.

No one can replicate this man and how he did this character. Donā€™t fucking Kiefer this up.
Yeah, I love Remedy and Max Payne but I also love hearing James. His voice, tone and delivery are just unique and I don't think anyone can really replace him.
I'm sure the remakes are going to add or change some things so recording new lines would be necessary, but I hope after this they tweak the story in a way they're able to incorporate his original recordings into the remakes.

I'm devastated by this. James' voice has been a part of my life for the last 22 years. I love Max Payne 1, it has to be one of my favorite games of all time. I replay it every single year without fail. I was even midway through my annual playthrough just the other day when I took a break. Now this happens. I'm never going to be able to play these games of his with the same childish glee ever again. I'm so sorry man, 65 is far too young to go. Rest easy man, and thank you for making this Jersey man feel at home in gaming.

phant0m

Reinstalling Max Payne 2 on my XSX immediately.

RIP to a truly legendary voice.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Had no idea what the guys name was prior to this thread, but his tone and delivery was just perfect for the vibe the games were going for. A voice acting performance that really stood out.

RIP

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't even have words to describe what I feel right now.

There's only one man (but more like a monster) that needs to die right now in the whole world, but instead we're losing good people, great actors etc. which'll be forever missed.

tumblr_ojbf9uB9fz1u7ltf6o1_400.gif

Life is a fuckin' bitch.

RIP James and thank you for everything you've done:messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
Top Bottom