• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Max Payne' star James McCaffrey dead at 65

HL3.exe

Yo, unverified rumor.
Also double thread.
Also fuck TMZ. If this turns out to be not true, fuck these vulture hacks.

RIP to the kid who died, having a similar name.

Edit: Fucked of true. Fuck Cancer. I'll still wait for a second source.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Unfortunate,

FUCK CANCER

I never played Max Payne 3, reviews are very positive on Steam, I don't know why I skipped it. Were there any performance issues/bugs at launch or something?

Sleepwalker

Unfortunate,

FUCK CANCER

I never played Max Payne 3, reviews are very positive on Steam, I don't know why I skipped it. Were there any performance issues/bugs at launch or something?

It was a pretty heavy game performance wise and some hardcore MP fans didn't like the setting. I personally loved it, worth a shot at $6.

On topic:

Fuck cancer.

Sad the remakes probably won't have him now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That's such a shitty news, one of the kind voice, incredible talent. Still fairly young :messenger_persevering:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Seriously bummed. He was one of my favorite voice actors and MP3 is easily in my top 10.

What the fuck happens now with the remakes? They’re still years out and I highly doubt he recorded his lines already.

Now what they COULD do is just re use the writing and his voice from the first two games, but seeing as how it’s a remake I figured he’d be recording all new dialogue.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this news 100% confirmed?

Seeing mixed chatter on twitter about this being a mistaken identity.

FeralEcho

Horrible news .... He'll always have one of the most recognizable voices in gaming history. Max Payne trilogy is a masterpiece and sadly the remakes won't be the same without his rugged voice....

May you rest in peace legend!!!

Needlecrash

OH FUCK NO!!!!!!! One of my favorite VA's!!! :( This shit hit me like a ton of bricks. I had no idea he was dealing with Multiple Myeloma at all. FUCK CANCER.

I know Sam Lake must be dealing with this quite hard too.

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Last edited:
This is a real shock. I think many of us didn't realise he was struggling with an illness.

His performances are about as iconic as David Hayters as Solid Snake as far as a cynical sarcastic anti hero goes.

I would like to say they could simply re-use his recordings from the first 2 games but I fear the sound quality wouldn't be up to modern standards u less they kept the masters from those recording sessions.

xrnzaaas

Really really sad to hear this is true. I loved his work for Remedy games, but I also remember him from his previous work, especially the Viper tv series. RIP.

hinch7

Hoping it wasn't true. Really sad, this guy voiced one of my favourite fictional characters ever. And I'm sure he was a stand up guy. RIP Max Payne.

wvnative

This is a real shock. I think many of us didn't realise he was struggling with an illness.

His performances are about as iconic as David Hayters as Solid Snake as far as a cynical sarcastic anti hero goes.

I would like to say they could simply re-use his recordings from the first 2 games but I fear the sound quality wouldn't be up to modern standards u less they kept the masters from those recording sessions.

They may have kept the masters, they may settle for the existing sound quality, or they could use AI to clean it up. They have options.

Sucks dude I just replayed max payne 3 last week...

Mr Hyde

Don't know who he is but it's always sad to see someone go after struggling with cancer. God I fucking hate that disease. Hate it so much. Rest in peace James and thank you for your contribution to the industry.

Top Bottom