• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordez: Sources say Xbox in talks to bring FFVII:Intergrade to Xbox

negotiations are underway about Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the Xbox Series and this could result in the arrival of one of the most desired games by the Microsoft Gaming community.
How does this translate to “FF7 is coming to Xbox”?

It’s not even remotely confirmed and we get a new topic created. Are Xbox owners so desperate for something, anything, that one rando can talk about something maybe happing someday and it’s newsworthy?

Last edited:
First, we're talking about FFVII Remake, not FFXVI. Different games altogether.

Second, you're taking the part of that quote in a completely incorrect context. Kiryu was specifically talking about the PS5 small userbase at the start of the generation. His full quote also included, "We can see that the attach rate of Final Fantasy 16 is considerably high, given the PS5 install base."

One month later, during the financial earnings report, Kiryu confirmed that sales expectations were met.

Speaking during a recent financial briefing, Square Enix president Takashi Kiryu spoke positively about Final Fantasy XVI‘s expectations. “This achievement was in line with our expectations,” said Kiryu. “To expand sales, we have planned a variety of PR activities and other initiatives to encourage more of the growing PlayStation 5 install base to play the title.”
Even in the article you provided, it states that the story about whether the game met expectations or not continually flip-flops according to whether the audience is investors or just causal observers. That inconstancy in messaging doesn't bode well.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Thread title does not match what Jez said at all.

Thread title: "Jez Corden: Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to Xbox Consoles"

What he actually said: "I've got evidence tentatively that there are discussions about Final Fantasy VII for Xbox"

Tentative evidence of discussions and "FF VII is coming to Xbox" are not even remotely the same thing.

It’s not even remotely confirmed and we get a new topic created. Are Xbox owners so desperate for something, anything, that one rando can talk about something maybe happing someday and it’s newsworthy?

fb4e07ea3c37c426dd0a2b3344b1ff85.jpg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's just the trend we've seen. I think a lot of Japanese developed titles would skip the Xbox all together if they weren't getting a lucrative Game Pass deal as software sales on the platform are less than stellar. I've mentioned it before, it is a smart use of Game Pass funds but I do wonder how sustainable the strategy is.
I think there's a very valid discussion to have.

I don't think that's even a smart use of Game Pass funds. The reason, as you mentioned, is because how unsustainable it is. Let's take FFVII Remake as an example.
  • SE doesn't port FFVII Remake because they don't believe the Xbox port will have a positive ROI.
  • Phil Spencer gives SE a bag of money that covers the cost of porting the game and a Game Pass deal, making it a risk-free project for SE.
  • SE ports the game.
  • No one buys the game because (1) that was the projection and (2) the game is on Game Pass so why would folks buy it.
  • Now SE sees the lack of sales and their theory gets validated: the game wouldn't sell and it's profitable for SE only because of a GP deal.
  • Now what happens when FFVII Rebirth launches? Either Phil does the same thing all over again, or Xbox gamers won't get the sequel of the game.
And for that GP deal, Phil can get 3-4 Western games on Game Pass (which are already on Xbox).

bender

What time is it?
The stupidest narrative of all time that just refuses to die. Yes, they see so little return potential for FFVII they won't port it. But they decided to port DioField Chronicles, Crisis Core, Strangers in Paradise, Little Goody Two Shoes, Star Ocean, and more without GP deals.

Were those games ported or released at the same time? Who did the heavy lifting on development of the titles you listed? How did those titles sell on the platform?

Dazraell

Not that I want to dismiss this guy, but his phrasing sounds more than "welp, that's a big maybe" than definitive confirmation

Seriously though, when Square Enix announced Final Fantasy XIV for Xbox, they said it won't be a last FF project they will work on, so it's very safe to assume VIIR trilogy might be among them

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Even in the article you provided, it states that the story about whether the game met expectations or not continually flip-flops according to whether the audience is investors or just causal observers. That inconstancy in messaging doesn't bode well.
It has been very consistent.
  • Statement #1: "Square Enix happy with FF16 sales, considers them 'extremely strong.'" (July 2023)
  • Statement #2: "FF16 did not meet the high-end of sales expectations because the PS5 userbase is still small. The attach rate so far is great though." (August 2023)
  • Statement #3: "FF16 was in line with sales expectations." (September 2023)
SE was very consistent that sales expectations were met. You're probably confused because they said it did not meet the high end of the sales expectations because of the smaller userbase. But as attach rate was excellent, even the high-end of sales expectations would obviously be met as time passed by and more people bought the PS5.

Why even bother, not exactly what you would expect to see from a company that's going 3rd party.
I dunno, having a game like this on Gamepass is exactly what they would want if they were planning to offer Gamepass on other consoles. They need to bulk it up with marquee titles like this if they are going to compete head to head with Plus (or an enhanced Nintendo equivalent).

That said I don't even think Sony would ever allow Gamepass, but if they did this is the kind of game they would need on the service. Kinda funny to think Microsoft may be negotiating for the rights to rent the Playstation version of FF7 on a Playstation console.

NEbeast

If it does this is your chance to get more FF games on xbox. Just don't be cheap fuckers and cry that you have to buy it because its not on gamepass.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I dunno, having a game like this on Gamepass is exactly what they would want if they were planning to offer Gamepass on other consoles. They need to bulk it up with marquee titles like this if they are going to compete head to head with Plus (or an enhanced Nintendo equivalent).

That said I don't even think Sony would ever allow Gamepass, but if they did this is the kind of game they would need on the service. Kinda funny to think Microsoft may be negotiating for the rights to rent the Playstation version of FF7 on a Playstation console.
Please don't bring 4 year old games to GP.

Draugoth

Gold Member
90% of his other threads are good though. Plus he makes a lot of great contributions to the community like top tier Review, Event and OT posts that nobody else is arsed to make.

So HARD disagree. Leave my bud Draugoth Draugoth alone.
755P.gif

I think there's a very valid discussion to have.

I don't think that's even a smart use of Game Pass funds. The reason, as you mentioned, is because how unsustainable it is. Let's take FFVII Remake as an example.
  • SE doesn't port FFVII Remake because they don't believe the Xbox port will have a positive ROI.
  • Phil Spencer gives SE a bag of money that covers the cost of porting the game and a Game Pass deal, making it a risk-free project for SE.
  • SE ports the game.
  • No one buys the game because (1) that was the projection and (2) the game is on Game Pass so why would folks buy it.
  • Now SE sees the lack of sales and their theory gets validated: the game wouldn't sell and it's profitable for SE only because of a GP deal.
  • Now what happens when FFVII Rebirth launches? Either Phil does the same thing all over again, or Xbox gamers won't get the sequel of the game.
And for that GP deal, Phil can get 3-4 Western games on Game Pass (which are already on Xbox).

Everyone thought it was impossible for FFXIV to come out on Xbox and it did.

Just a question of time for this one as well and Jez has his sources

Ar¢tos

If Phil can cover the porting costs and "buy" some sales by offering a Game Pass deal on top of it, I'm sure they can convince Square Enix to port it.

But they will have to make it risk-free for SE. Otherwise, SE clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence for financial returns on Xbox.
It's how his deals with SE have been done lately. MS pays for porting costs + profit and the game goes to GP.
Octopath Traveler 2 (coming this year to Xbox)deal is just like that.

Please don't bring 4 year old games to GP.
I wouldn't see it as a "bring it with fanfare" type situation, more like Gamepass needs to have a large stable of back catalog games and a gamer, especially a Playstation gamer, is going to expect Final Fantasy games on there. Especially since most hardcore Playstation users would have had Plus and already "own" the game - if Microsoft wants to get them off Plus and on to Gamepass they need to minimize the number of games they lose the ability to play.

Again I don't think this will actually happen because Sony won't allow it, I'm just thinking through a situation where it could.

NonPhixion

755P.gif

Hello, my on the spectrum friend. No one thought FFXIV coming to Xbox was impossible. It was planned for Xbox over a decade ago.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I find it to be the complete opposite. 90% of them are dogshit. Yours at least have some truth and substance to them.

293x.gif

Hello, my on the spectrum friend. No one thought FFXIV coming to Xbox was impossible. It was planned for Xbox over a decade ago.

Still, it took a logn ass time to come out for Xbox. It's very likely FFVII:R is the same situation, albeit very unlikely.

Schmick

The only chance for MS to put GP on PS, is if they decide to offer a version of GP that only contains MS first party games and even if they did offer this to Sony the chances Sony accept, would be less than 1% it happening.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

755P.gif

SE has been trying to put FF14 on Xbox for ages, but Xbox has refused until now because of their policy that all in game chat/texting has to go through Xbox.

//DEVIL//

I hope Sony buy Square Enix just so I do not see this rumor ever again. I swear these sad wanna be insiders been saying this ever since the first 6 months /1 year of exclusivity was over. and at one point they were so sure and its going to be on game pass too day 1.

4 years later and here we are again with the same crap.

I find it to be the complete opposite. 90% of them are dogshit. Yours at least have some truth and substance to them.

Report the misleading headline(s) to the mods, and they will handle it. However, as I mentioned, revoking his thread-making ability is too harsh, considering he contributes with tons of high-effort posts (e.g. live events, reviews, and OTs). Some of us frequent thread makers might not want to take on that responsibility, which will lead to GAF being a less desirable place to visit. Just something to consider...

Darsxx82

I am clear that it will happen, but first i bet will be FFXVI

You don't make a grand presentation at Square's main event of the year where you bring together the new president of Square, its main developer and the head of XBOX so that it only translates into the arrival of Vision Mana and octophaTravel 2...

It is simply a matter of respecting the temporary exclusivity agreements with Sony. Then, what I do doubt is a release of only FF VII part 1 separately. I see more of the release of part 1 and part 2 at the same time in one pack.

Gamepass??? It would surprise no one and it would be a great announcement for Xbox console users, Of course But..... and also for its ecosystem.

People reduce these types of investments on Gamepass to Xbox consoles when the reason is in the entire ecosystem (console, Windows Store, Gamepass and Xcloud). To attract new users/subscribers (from all markets) to its ecosystem, MS needs the best catalog possible and the main FF saga is a must.

Dazraell

"nothing is confirmed, but according to his sources..."

A nice way to take credit if it happens, and no discredit if it doesn't.
That's why I usually take these twitter "scoopers" as guessers and not actual leakers

I'm very certain he deliberately phrased it this way so he could shift the narrative to his needs depending of future reports related to FFVII Remake on Xbox

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Report the misleading headline(s) to the mods, and they will handle it. However, as I mentioned, revoking his thread-making ability is too harsh, considering he contributes with tons of high-effort posts (e.g. live events, reviews, and OTs). Some of us frequent thread makers might not want to take on that responsibility, which will lead to GAF being a less desirable place to visit. Just something to consider...

I dont "report" people or threads lol

And I didnt say remove, I said curb. Someone here get the guy employment someplace at least lol

Maybe I want to be the guy making an OT for Indie Game # 4589 that'll get 10 posts.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

I already asked the mods to change it

SE has been trying to put FF14 on Xbox for ages, but Xbox has refused until now because of their policy that all in game chat/texting has to go through Xbox.

When it happend it was a still a big announcement and a big deal

coJAbYBuPSa7JxtPUfun5H.jpeg

nowhat

293x.gif

Still, it took a logn ass time to come out for Xbox. It's very likely FFVII:R is the same situation, albeit very unlikely.
It's like a completely different situation. FFXIV was offered to Microsoft, but, quoting from an IGN article:

In 2013 Yoshi-P answered saying a Microsoft cross-play policy – that meant Xbox users would require their own server and therefore couldn’t play with the wider community – ended the hopes of Xbox players enjoying the game. "Community is very important for an MMO, and as Xbox Live is a closed network it means those playing on Xbox 360 or Xbox One can't play with others on different platforms,” “I don't think this is ideal for an MMO, and that's the biggest reason we haven't brought the game to Xbox platforms."

...which is fucking ironic, given that the message in the One era turned to "cross-play! cross-play! cross-play!". But so it goes.

I dont "report" people or threads lol

And I didnt say remove, I said curb. Someone here get the guy employment someplace at least lol
You should use the report function if the threads in question are duplicates, misleading, etc. since it improves the experience of visiting the forum for tons of users who rely in getting accurate and up-to-date gaming news/information from this place.

And afaik there's no way to curb ones thread making ability. It's either he has the ability to make them or he doesn't (a mod can correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

RickMasters

Lol….. have you not seen the Xbox line up this year? Xbox owners don’t need to beg for anything. Meanwhile how many of you guys were in the other thread chatting shot about how well sea of theives and hi fi rush, would sell on PS5? And those are first party games? Why are you so bent up over a money hatred third party exclusive though?

When it’s an Xbox first party games you guys wanna do mental gymnastics and talk about how PS is outselling Xbox, as a reason for MS to put their first party games on a rival platform…… but a money hatted third party game that MS is trying to pay for for xbox consumers is “begging”?…… you are too funny, my guy! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom