• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan triggers employees. Says all opinions should be respected regarding abortion controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see nothing wrong with a CEO telling his employees to STFU and do what you're paid to do, and stop vilifying each other in the work place (but in nicer terms than I).

This instance had CONTEXT to what was happening with Bungie and the like.
PS made public statements supporting Ukraine and BLM. But on this one it's shut up and think of Jim's cats. I'm just not surprised by any of this. Many female employees read this email, and are literally going to lose the right to decide what happens to their own body. But just remember that the answer is to bury your head in the sand and think of his pets.

daffyduck

Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

smbu2000

I'm not even on any side but republicans seems like the least unhinged between the two parties, but maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe you are only looking at the fringe left (aka REE), who aren’t representative of the whole. The majority of D’s are fairly sensible.
It seems like the majority of R’s have gone extreme right and you get things like Jan. 6th.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS made public statements supporting Ukraine and BLM. But on this one it's shut up and think of Jim's cats. I'm just not surprised by any of this. Many female employees read this email, and are literally going to lose the right to decide what happens to their own body. But just remember that the answer is to bury your head in the sand and think of his pets.
Those are far less polarizing than this, and you know it. Context matters.

There was nothing wrong with his email. "Be respectful to one another..." is a bad thing now? Bro, you lost the plot.

And the light-hearted comment about the pets was a brilliant psychological play.

Tams

Gold Member
There's already a thread about this. He didn't share any opinion. He made the obvious comment that when you're at work and IF you decide to engage in this non-work conversation, you need to be respectful to your coworkers. This is a nothing story, but since it's a front in the culture wars, it's got to have (several) threads made about it (with references to ResetEra for good measure and self-congratulation).
He should have just said, 'Do your fucking work, we're not a fucking social cause. If want to discuss non work stuff that may cause issues, do it off the clock' then.

By saying people have different of opinions he's giving ammo to people in regard to the content of the argument, rather than just whether non-work stuff should be discussed.

Last edited:
Those are far less polarizing than this, and you know it. Context matters.

There was nothing wrong with his email. "Be respectful to one another..." is a bad thing now? Bro, you lost the plot.

And the light-hearted comment about the pets was a brilliant psychological play.
I'm not angry, but I can very easily see how women reading that would be. And also they have nurtured a culture at PS of being overtly political, and now they want to stop. I think they did this to themselves 100%.

skneogaf

I don't see how this is classed as wrong, we should respect everyones opinions wherever they're right or wrong.

Zeroing

Banned
I've seen Layton's nauseating Twitter over the years, I also seen the censorship in games start when he took over.

I am saying, it could be one of the many reasons, since rumors had it that Japanese studios (3rd party partners) were not happy with censorship while other competitors did not do the same.
The censorship happened because of that series of videos about females in gaming where it shown a ton of Japanese and some Sony games! And you see the pattern when the only AAA game that got praised on those series of videos was the last of us part I

;) let’s not forget it was about the same time a study shown the percentage of women who play games were increasing so you do the math…

Arioco

The fact that a CEO has to remind his enployees that all opinions should be respected proves sonethis is very wrong. Like some employees are entitled to their own opinion and others are not?

VN1X

Banned
What part of "politics are not allowed" is hard to understand? There's no "discussing these issues" on gaf, the staff made that clear when they nuked the politics subforum.
I mean I'm trying to be constructive and to understand your perspective. If the mods lock this thread then by all means but I was asking why, aside from the politics policy (which the staff have already backed down from because numerous other political discussions have been allowed, so lets just let that argument rest for now), you think GAF is "incapable of discussing this" and why it's bad that "people insert their own beliefs".

I'm not trying to fish for a "gotcha-moment" here btw. Just wondering what you meant by those statements.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never claimed they all agree. There's a whole position on this promoting "choice" so that people can decide for themselves.
But you use, "think of the women that work there" as a blanket appeal to emotion.

Nothing wrong with saying, "be respectful to one another"... it is no secret that society is getting more and more polarizing. Eventually an email like this would have to be sent out, this was the time, he felt.

Assuming the majority of woman would be upset by being reminded about a respectful workplace, is pretty bold.
Wow Awesome GIF by SmileDirectClub

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I've seen Layton's nauseating Twitter over the years, I also seen the censorship in games start when he took over.

I am saying, it could be one of the many reasons, since rumors had it that Japanese studios (3rd party partners) were not happy with censorship while other competitors did not do the same.
The censorship happened because of that series of videos about females in gaming where it shown a ton of Japanese and some Sony games! And you see the pattern when the only AAA game that got praised on those series of videos was the last of us part I

;) let’s not forget it was about the same time a study shown the percentage of women who play games were increasing so you do the math…

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah this thing is just far too American for me to understand, it's one of those things that just confuses me the more I think about it, like anti-vax movement but whatever.

Nothing wrong with the statement put out, its a standard internal email warning people about having loud opinions on behalf of the company.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why the hell is a video game boss muddying up the office with abortion talk? LOL.

Maybe he should stick to what my company's latest news and memos are in our internal website....... Earnings Recap, Support Ukraine, High Level New Hires and People Transitioning Jobs.

Maybe if I hold out long enough, we'll get a memo from an exec about abortion, Dave Chappelle/Netflix and an analytical article on Will Smith punching Chris Rock.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They can avoid those games. The competition did not do it, Nintendo of all companies did not censor them.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
(which the staff have already backed down from apparently because numerous other political discussions have been allowed, so lets just let that argument rest for now)
They haven't "backed down", politics threads get locked/nuked all the time, including two about this very topic back to back; whatever "political discussions" survive is at the staffs discretion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why the hell is a video game boss muddying up the office with abortion talk? LOL.

Maybe he should stick to what my company's latest news and memos are in our internal website....... Earnings Recap, Support Ukraine, High Level New Hires and People Transitioning Jobs.

Maybe if I hold out long enough, we'll get a memo from an exec about abortion, Dave Chappelle/Netflix and an analytical article on Will Smith punching Chris Rock.
I know the Starfield news hit hard, but bro, you're usually on the side of logic when it comes to "be respectful in the workplace, and not vilify one another over socially constructed viewpoints or opinions."

That is all he did.

But you use, "think of the women that work there" as a blanket appeal to emotion.

Nothing wrong with saying, "be respectful to one another"... it is not secret that society is getting more and more polarizing. Eventually an email like this would have to be sent out, this was the time, he felt.
I'm just repeating the same thing, and really have nothing left to add.

People draw red lines all the time in terms of when "debate" is not seen as socially acceptable; where it's not acceptable to respect the other person's opinion. It's generally not acceptable to respect other people's opinions on racism. We all have to agree that racism is bad. On this site, if you say anything deviating from support from Ukraine, that is not acceptable. The list goes on into infinity.

Many women - the majority of them - think that being able to decide what they do with their own bodies qualifies as a red line, and that being civil about the opposite opinion (actually, we'll tell you what to do with your body) is ridiculous and insane. In addition to that being one of their red lines, to then bring that up in the context of a cat birthday cake just further emphasizes that the whole thing is considered trivial, and unimportant - which probably makes them angry. And this is after PS publicly took political stances on other issues.

You clearly disagree with me, so whatever. I've said what I have to say on it already.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Are people sure this is only about the abortion in the USA and not about world events that are much more relevant to the rest of the 7 billion humans on the planet?

Like I don't know the war in Ukraine that is causing a major destabilization in the world politics and economy, creating famines in many countries, a fuel crisis capable of stopping industries all across Europe and has the potential to escalate into nuclear warfare that would kill most of us and drive the rest back to stone age?

I'm looking at Playstation Studios and less than half of them are located in the US, and only one of them seems to belong to a red state which is the recently acquired Bluepoint.
Besides, that abortion law hasn't even been changed yet.

Maybe you are only looking at the fringe left (aka REE), who aren’t representative of the whole. The majority of D’s are fairly sensible.
It seems like the majority of R’s have gone extreme right and you get things like Jan. 6th.
The majority of Ds are sensible but the majority of Rs are extremists!

Spoken like a true moderate. And sensible too.
/s

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

People draw red lines all the time in terms of when "debate" is not seen as socially acceptable; where it's not acceptable to respect the other person's opinion. It's generally not acceptable to respect other people's opinions on racism. We all have to agree that racism is bad. On this site, if you say anything deviating from support from Ukraine, that is not acceptable. The list goes on into infinity.

Many women - the majority of them - think that being able to decide what they do with their own bodies qualifies as a red line, and that being civil about the opposite opinion (actually, we'll tell you what to do with your body) is ridiculous and insane. In addition to that being one of their red lines, to then bring that up in the context of a cat birthday cake just further emphasizes that the whole thing is considered trivial, and unimportant - which probably makes them angry. And this is after PS publicly took political stances on other issues.

You clearly disagree with me, so whatever. I've said what I have to say on it already.
:rolleyes:

Bro, this isn't about that... it's about being respectful to one another in the workplace, as well as YOUR CUSTOMERS.

Stop appealing to emotion to prove a point. The end.

Last edited:

ManaByte

A studio they just bought for billions of dollars was publicly attacking customers and telling them not to play their game.

A studio they just bought for billions of dollars was publicly attacking customers and telling them not to play their game.
Who? A single bungie twitter rep?

I just think you guys are in complete denial about the fact that people are going to lose rights they've had for 50 years, and it's an incredibly contentious issue that is going to do damage on multiple levels. It's going to get worse than Bungie being pissy. Companies who can afford it will likely leave states that ban it. It's going to be a constant shitshow for years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know the Starfield news hit hard, but bro, you're usually on the side of logic when it comes to "be respectful in the workplace, and not vilify one another over socially constructed viewpoints or opinions."

That is all he did.
And the correct logic is don't bring it up at the workplace.

My company is American based. Havent seen one company memo yet regarding Roe vs Wade. Never seen one either regarding any political talk ever, except Donate to Ukraine if you want. Here's a link.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I shown all this to my sister! she basically told me, the one to blame is the country and the government and the people who make the laws.

She also told me to get a bf and stop being on this forum so much! I love her :D truth hurts.

Anyway, yeah we are kinda deflecting things by pointing fingers… as of Jim Ryan is the one making a law about abortion!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And the correct logic is don't bring it up at the workplace.

My company is American based. Havent seen one company memo yet regarding Roe vs Wade. Never seen one either regarding any political talk ever, except Donate to Ukraine if you want. Here's a link.
That is EXACTLY what he is telling his employees to do. To be respectful, and if you can't then don't talk about it or shit on your customers (like Bungie was recently doing).

Last edited:

daffyduck

Many women - the majority of them - think that being able to decide what they do with their own bodies qualifies as a red line, and that being civil about the opposite opinion (actually, we'll tell you what to do with your body) is ridiculous and insane. …
The majority, on this issue? I very much doubt it. And your comparisons are not even close.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I shown all this to my sister! she basically told me, the one to blame is the country and the government and the people who make the laws.

She also told me to get a bf and stop being on this forum so much! I love her :D truth hurts.

Anyway, yeah we are kinda deflecting things by pointing fingers… as of Jim Ryan is the one making a law about abortion!
You have yourself a good and logical sister. Based Sis!

Ezquimacore

Banned
But you can compare similar things like the black lives matters riots where a lot of people were killed and hurt. Now that organization stole all the money and never gave anything to black people in need. So to me both are rotten as f, but democrats are the kind of fuckers that will censor and manipulate stuff if they don't agree. I'm pretty sure that if I say something political incorrect at any job that's influenced by the Democratic party I would get fired, unlike the republican party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom