• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan triggers employees. Says all opinions should be respected regarding abortion controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nothing. But you know, where you have a global workforce, you may receive reports that people are having clashes because of their different opinions about a hot topic. As the head of that organization, you have two options:
  1. Ignore that and let the small disagreements emerge into bigger conflicts and a toxic workplace environment, or
  2. Step forward and release a statement so more people can get along.
Jimbo did the right thing here. He didn't take any sides (contrary to what REE what have you believe, those idiots!). He said that you don't have to agree with anyone, but you gotta respect everyone and the fact that people may have different opinions.

I literally cannot understand what's wrong with that statement. What's the alternative here? That we don't respect the difference of opinion and it's either my way or the highway? That's so absurd to think.

P.S. I think this thread isn't really gaming related and should be closed.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Omg the thread at REEEE is hilarious, its going just as you'd expect. People getting banned for saying Jim Ryan isnt representative of Sony as a whole.

tommib

150 million users?
Hyperbole, it's not even trending anywhere.
Oh god now you’re taking “half of Twitter” literally. Check your videogame sources. It’s front page everywhere with comments section filled with “resign”, “he needs to go”.

Zeroing

Banned
i bet some of these people never had to endure hardships in their lives
the problem is those who take the “pain” of those who did endure hardships and become their voice and do more damage than good!

Not sure if my point is clear, kinda like a rich white person being vocal about poor people!! They did not experienced it any of those things

But media taught everyone that is great to defend the weak and oppressed!!! Even if most of the time they know nothing about what you are talking about!

yurinka

Playstation Boss Jimbo has given a statement regarding the overthrown Roe vs Wade act in which he asked his employees to embrace other's opinion.

To everybody's incredible surprise, the 'tolerant' people in the California headquarters are not so pleased with his message.

Thread is ofcourse already going in Reee-era. Warning: high toxicity zone.
Jimbo triggered Bloomberg/Jason Shredder and resetera, not their employees.

What shown in the original Bloomberg article there was some debate at Sony about the topic and Jimbo only told them to chill and keep it civil, and to remember that their company and userbase is so huge and includes people with every opinion, origins and beliefs (in this case both hardcore woke pro-abortion or hardcore catholics anti-abortion to name a couple of big groups) and they have to be inclusive and respectful with everyone even if you severely disagree in some topics. He didn't mention his personal opinion on the topic and didn't ask the company to take a side.

Basically 'please avoid politics and religion related topics in the company since they often cause fights and bad mood, let's respect each other stand', the common sense thing you'd expect from a CEO (a polite and corporate PR friendly stance to tell them 'keep your politics and religion at home to avoid fights with your mates and instead focus on peacefully doing your job, we're a company and not activists').

Has anyone checked on REEEE yet? Have they already sold all of their playstations?
I did check it yesterday: 99% of people shitting at Jimbo or even asking to fire or cancel him, the other 1% got banned for (even slightly) disagreeing, joking or doubting about what Jim really said or meant.

As usual, in any topic slightly related with something where the woke religion has a stand they don't allow people with other views or even doubts and act with totalitarism instead of allowing free speech and a civil debate to discuss topics confronting facts and opinions from both sides. They think there is only a single valid opinion and way of thinking and that all the other ones must be punished, stopped, silenced and removed.

Last edited:
You know discourse is dead when without even taking a side, someone tries to bring the heat down between two sides yet manages to piss them off regardless. Like a lot of issues we simply no longer have the ability to discuss incredibly nuanced topics with people we disagree with. Instead it's "shout 'em down till they drown".

LordCBH

Let’s be perfectly real:
There’s a near 0% chance he’s removed from his job. Why? The numbers, Mason. This is the type of thing that gets you axed if the powers thst be are looking for a reason, but they’re not looking for a reason to axe Jim. His leadership has hauled in money so far. The super vocal wokeys aren’t going to influence thst, because they’re an extremely vocal minority. 90% of the customer base for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo don’t give a flying shit.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Oh god now you’re taking “half of Twitter” literally. Check your videogame sources. It’s front page everywhere with comments section filled with “resign”, “he needs to go”.
If you don't mean twitter, then don't say twitter 🤷‍♂️.
Also there's nothing on Gematsu, the only "videogame source" worth any attention.
Hyperbole.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let’s be perfectly real:
There’s a near 0% chance he’s removed from his job. Why? The numbers, Mason. This is the type of thing that gets you axed if the powers thst be are looking for a reason, but they’re not looking for a reason to axe Jim. His leadership has hauled in money so far. The super vocal wokeys aren’t going to influence thst, because they’re an extremely vocal minority. 90% of the customer base for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo don’t give a flying shit.
And Japan isn't woke... yet (hold the line). In fact, this is probably one of the many reasons they axed ultra woke Layton, restructured for the neutral and all business Jim to be fully in charge.

Zeroing

Banned
And Japan isn't woke... yet (hold the line). In fact, this is probably one of the many reasons they axed ultra woke Layton, restructured for the neutral and all business Jim to be fully in charge.
Nah man! Nothing to do with woke culture.

Leyden saw games as art and that can be a tricky business model.
Jim is more business oriented and done a great job in Europe in all these years, that is why is called Sonyland!

Yeah people hate the guy but he and his team was behind the model of making PlayStation a teenager console, he and his team installed PlayStations on dance clubs etc…

I still think Layden and Jim should be working together tho. Perfect combo.

If you guys can't understand why it's a bad idea for a CEO to contextualize a human rights battle for many of his female employees with stories about his cats' birthday cake, then you're being willfully dishonest.

Here's some other sample emails that he almost sent.
  • BLM protests are raging lately. We'd like to remind our staff that it's important to respect everyone's opinion on black lives; some people think they matter and some think they don't. By the way, have you guys seen Game of Thrones S8? That ending was roughhhhhh.
  • Jan 6th protests are dividing our nation and presenting unprecedented challenges to unity. It's important that we at Playstation all respect whoever our employees want to claim won the election. FYI for everyone, try the #6 at Taco Bell with Fire sauce, it's reallyyyyy good.
  • Ukraine and Russia are very angry at each other right now. It's essential to our brand at Playstation that we respect everyone's opinions on the nazification of Ukraine. In other news, my cat is adorable.

LordCBH

How so? (genuine question btw)

Technically the poster is correct. Political discussions aren’t a thing on this forum. They used to be and used to have their own sections were most people were alright. But some regardless of position were absolutely psycho.

Abortion set to outlawed in the U.S by the Supreme Court.
Nah there was a ruling(Roe v Wade) in the 60s that took away power from the states that let them make their own abortion laws because the heavily left wing court at the time ruled it was unconstitutional primarily due to violation of privacy. It had nothing to do with actual abortion but whether the government was infringing on the privacy of individuals.

This was a hugely controversial ruling because it seemed like Judges were ruling based on their politics rather than being unbiased. Not to mention back then people were a lot more conservative so it's not like it reflected what people were voting for if it did congress would have made abortion legal but they never could because there wasn't a large enough majority to ever pass a bill like that. The court went and did it by interpreting the law from a privacy angle.

In the 90s a more modern supreme court ruled in Planned Parenthood vs Casey in such a way that it defanged Roe v Wade weakening the protections it provided on the basis that baby saving technology had advanced and that the prior courts judgement wasn't as sound.

Now the current court has a conservative majority so the fear from left wingers was that they would finish the job started with Casey and undo Roe v Wade. What this would do is return law making power to each state. The way the U.S works is it's composed of 50 states, each state is it's own mini country, there's a federal government above them but the constitution only gives it power over a very small amount of things(like the military). EVERYTHING else is up to state to decide how it will work so the state can make laws about anything that the federal gov has no authority over, abortion was one of those things till the left wing court said no with Roe v Wade. This will mean left wing states like California can have stronger abortion laws than Roe and Casey allowed like maybe being able to abort 8 month old babies if Californians agreed to make that law and conservative states like Louisiana can make abortion very limited like they are trying with heartbeat laws(if the baby has a heartbeat it can't be aborted) or illegal. Which would mean people would have to travel to another state if they want to circumvent the law. Like it is now with gun laws and drug laws.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
How so? (genuine question btw)
Because politics are not allowed, one thread already got deleted and the second one got locked, this is the third thread about this.
Gaf users can't help themselves to insert their own beliefs/political views on the topic.

PhaseJump

Banned
This thread topic will be aborted. Mods will probably get around to it the morning after.

Best of luck to corporate overlord Jimbo.

Borowski_1

Gold Member
If you guys can't understand why it's a bad idea for a CEO to contextualize a human rights battle for many of his female employees with stories about his cats' birthday cake, then you're being willfully dishonest.

• BLM protests are raging lately. We'd like to remind our staff that it's important to respect everyone's opinion on black lives; some people think they matter and some think they don't. By the way, have you guys seen Game of Thrones S8? That ending was roughhhhhh.
  • Jan 6th protests are dividing our nation and presenting unprecedented challenges to unity. It's important that we at Playstation all respect whoever our employees want to claim won the election. FYI for everyone, try the #6 at Taco Bell with Fire sauce, it's reallyyyyy good.
  • Ukraine and Russia are very angry at each other right now. It's essential to our brand at Playstation that we respect everyone's opinions on the nazification of Ukraine. In other news, my cat is adorable.

You're his cat, aren't you?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah man! Nothing to do with woke culture.

Leyden saw games as art and that can be a tricky business model.
Jim is more business oriented and done a great job in Europe in all these years, that is why is called Sonyland!

Yeah people hate the guy but he and his team was behind the model of making PlayStation a teenager console, he and his team installed PlayStations on dance clubs etc…

I still think Layden and Jim should be working together tho. Perfect combo.
I've seen Layton's nauseating Twitter over the years, I also seen the censorship in games start when he took over.

I am saying, it could be one of the many reasons, since rumors had it that Japanese studios (3rd party partners) were not happy with censorship while other competitors did not do the same.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Because politics are not allowed, one thread already got deleted and the second one got locked, this is the third thread about this.
I mean there's already a ton of political discussion back on the board despite the original ban/removal or the politics sub-folder (see the Ukraine situation for a recent example).

Gaf users can't help themselves to insert their own beliefs/political views on the topic.
And I'm not sure what you mean by that? Isn't that the point of discussing these issues? To share ideas and, hopefully, learn from each other?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I see nothing wrong with a CEO telling his employees to STFU and do what you're paid to do, and stop vilifying each other in the work place (but in nicer terms than I).

This instance had CONTEXT to what was happening with Bungie and the like.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I mean there's already a ton of political discussion back on the board despite the original ban/removal or the politics sub-folder.

And I'm not sure what you mean by that? Isn't that the point of discussing these issues? To share ideas and, hopefully, learn from each other?
What part of "politics are not allowed" is hard to understand? There's no "discussing these issues" on gaf, the staff made that clear when they nuked the politics subforum.

You're being dishonest yourself by pretending there's only one legit side to the argument. The entire reason this debate is heated is because both sides think (not) allowing the thing is reprehensible.

Is Ryan's method good? I'm not sure, because this is a divisive issue that will probably never go away. But at least he did something in an attempt to bring people together.

Belthazar

His message was pretty reasonable, but at this point he should've known that staying silent on the matter was the best course of action. Hopefully the meltdowns end soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom