• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joaquin Phoenix Is Open To Joker Return

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Joaquin-Phoenix-joker-Cropped.jpg

Actor Joaquin Phoenix hasn’t ruled out another Joker appearance and/or a sequel. During a recent interview, Phoenix discussed the making of the film, and his collaboration with director Todd Phillips. Joker broke Venom’s October opening weekend box office record, earning $93.5 million in the U.S. during its first three days.

Joker was always intended to be a standalone film. The psychological thriller tells the origin story of Arthur Fleck, a DC Comics character who transforms into a Gotham City supervillain, and becomes Batman’s arch nemesis. For Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Night, the late Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his performance as the Joker, and Jared Leto portrayed the character in the DCEU’s 2016 film Suicide Squad. Phillips’ take on the character has been especially controversial, as many people have worried about how the film’s perceived ultraviolence could transfer to the real world. Joker’s mostly positive reviews and box office success suggest that a new film would be a logical next step, featuring a character reprisal from Phoenix
During an appearance on Popcorn with Peter Travers, Phoenix offered telling statements about what fans should and shouldn’t expect. Near the end of the conversation, Joker’s star addresses a viewer question about Arthur Fleck being a “dream role,” to which he responds with a simple “no.” But Phoenix then reveals that he “can’t stop thinking about it,” and goes on to discuss how he and Phillips have discussed what else they “might be able to do.” According to Phoenix, Joker ended up being a dream role, but he doesn’t know for sure if he wants to further explore the character. Still, Phoenix acknowledges that the possibilities seem “endless,” though he hasn’t considered sharing a scene with Batman. Check out the full clip below - Phoenix discusses a possible Joker reprisal at the 21:02 mark

Set in 1981, Joker demonstrates how Arthur Fleck adopted a killing clown persona. Phillips has been vague about his final act storyline, which is an ideal way to keep people buzzing about a potential sequel. Over the past year, the controversy surrounding Joker has inspired different marketing tricks, and now that the film has performed well in theaters, executives will undoubtedly double down with strategic techniques aimed at both critics and general moviegoers. After winning the prestigious Golden Lion at the Venice International Film Festival, Joker’s marketing team used selects lines from negative reviews for promotional purposes - a meta strategy that aligns with the film’s title.
If Phoenix does indeed want to star in a new Joker film, fans will naturally be curious about his preferred central storyline, and who else will be involved. Phillips’ film cites Martin Scorsese classics like Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy with its societal commentary, but also features in-universe sequences involving none other than the Wayne family. Considering Phoenix’s usual preference to keep audiences guessing, it’s unlikely that he’d want to star in another Joker film set in the ‘80s, and featuring the same exact character look. But who knows - maybe that's been the plan all along.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is how I hoped they’d do a new Batman series. Screw the dcu, I just want a pure amazing Batman series from beginning to end.

I’d be very fascinated to see how Phillips/the writers handle their version of a grown Bruce/Batman
The only way it makes sense for me at the moment is to have Batman be a figment of Arthur's imagination.

I don't know if Arthur is aware that Bruce witnessed his parents' murder. Please somebody explain this to me. I believe he was unconscious when that happened?

But as for Arthur, at the end of Joker he (indefinitely I'd guess) ends up in Arkham surrounded by white walls. So what is he going to do with his time? He's going to live in his own head and create a world for himself where he can constantly amuse himself. Where he makes up all the jokes he wants that only make sense to him. This is a world where he can do over the top things and get away with it. He can prance around just like the Joker in the comic books. This is the only place I can see a man in a bat suit plausibly exist. How does he get there? How does the bat cave and the batmobile and everything else come about? That's the real creative challenge. You can't have all of these things in the real world. But in Arthur's head? She it. Cast Bradley Cooper as an adult Bruce.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The only way it makes sense for me at the moment is to have Batman be a figment of Arthur's imagination.

I don't know if Arthur is aware that Bruce witnessed his parents' murder. Please somebody explain this to me. I believe he was unconscious when that happened?

But as for Arthur, at the end of Joker he (indefinitely I'd guess) ends up in Arkham surrounded by white walls. So what is he going to do with his time? He's going to live in his own head and create a world for himself where he can constantly amuse himself. Where he makes up all the jokes he wants that only make sense to him. This is a world where he can do over the top things and get away with it. He can prance around just like the Joker in the comic books. This is the only place I can see a man in a bat suit plausibly exist. How does he get there? How does the bat cave and the batmobile and everything else come about? That's the real creative challenge. You can't have all of these things in the real world. But in Arthur's head? She it. Cast Bradley Cooper as an adult Bruce.
Joker shows how a man becomes to be Joker in a realistic fashion.
Why not have a case study on what would drive a man to dress up like a bat and go a Vigilante rampage.
Joker said it best.
"You and I are the same"

Joker shows how a man becomes to be Joker in a realistic fashion.
Why not have a case study on what would drive a man to dress up like a bat and go a Vigilante rampage.
Joker said it best.
"You and I are the same"
Both Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix chose to make this movie because there are real world references that could be used to bring to life the character they wanted to portray.

Joker is a clown combined with a mentally ill person. During the 80s having a clown profession wasn't unusual. That's why they chose the 80s. Mental illness is also real.

There doesn't exist any real world references for a bat costume, or leaping off rooftops, or gliding off buildings, or driving batmobiles, etc. Even Christian Bale's Batman that strives to apply practicality to every one of his aspects still is not a phenomenon that can occur in reality.

If you have any ideas on how to accomplish a real world Batman, I'd love to hear it. I personally just don't see it happening at all.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Brilliant news.
I def want to see more of this performance, especially as the full on Joker since we only got a small glimpse of it in the last film.

Fuck Batman. He doesn't need to enter this world anytime soon, I'll happily just watch more Joker.

If they do introduce Batman it'd be great to see an Elseworld take on the character. Maybe Alfred Batman? lol

The Alfred in Joker looked pretty beefy. Give me ex-SAS beefy British Alfred Batman.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is how I hoped they’d do a new Batman series. Screw the dcu, I just want a pure amazing Batman series from beginning to end.
The Batman wouldn't work with this Joker. The moment Batman steps in it becomes silly shit honestly. Prove me wrong internet.

BigBooper

I haven't seen the movie yet, but couldn't they also do a sequel, mostly from the Jokers perspective, only portraying Batman for the brief periods of time he's stopping the Jokers plans? Using past Batman movies for reference, their time interacting on screen is usually very short.

iorek21

Seeing Batman from a villain perspective would be a very interesting thing, maybe they could go this route.

But I doubt WB would allow two Batmans at the same time... they gave Gotham a hard time for Jerome/Jeremiah....

Speaking of which, it would be awesome if they recast Cameron Monaghan on The Batman, he surely deserves it

SpoopySpeedster

Neo Member
Batman would require a reimagining for an introduction here, gritty and realistic... It's too bad they already killed the chance for Thomas Wayne to become Batman instead of Bruce

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Thoughts on a sequel.

Joker escapes lives on the streets as a homeless man for a decade. Some flunky finds him and sets events in motion.

Story is about Bruce Wayne being a ruthless young business man and then something happening (girlfriend or wife murdered?) that sets him on the Jokers tail. At no point in the movie does Bruce wear a batman suit, but he does do detective stuff and use his money to achieve some things. Its a murder crime thriller where Bruce is basically pushed to the edge by the Joker. Maybe Bruce is framed by the Joker somehow and has to clear his name?

Basically the movie would be a continuation of the poor vs 1% stuff in the first movie, only this time Bruce Wayne wins because of his money. You are not supposed to like Bruce or Joker in this movie.

Sorcerer

I can't see how a sequel could be made. Could they bring in Batman without making it too actiony? Just the idea of a Batmobile in this style of film seems bizzare.

Thoughts on a sequel.

Joker escapes lives on the streets as a homeless man for a decade. Some flunky finds him and sets events in motion.

Story is about Bruce Wayne being a ruthless young business man and then something happening (girlfriend or wife murdered?) that sets him on the Jokers tail. At no point in the movie does Bruce wear a batman suit, but he does do detective stuff and use his money to achieve some things. Its a murder crime thriller where Bruce is basically pushed to the edge by the Joker. Maybe Bruce is framed by the Joker somehow and has to clear his name?

Basically the movie would be a continuation of the poor vs 1% stuff in the first movie, only this time Bruce Wayne wins because of his money. You are not supposed to like Bruce or Joker in this movie.

I approve this

Tesseract

Banned
i dunno if batman as we know him would work

something closer to gavin o'connor's the accountant would probably work pretty well tho

Dark Star

I would be interested in another Joker film. But that is exactly what is has to be if Phoenix returns. A film that is shot from the perspective of Joker, and not Batman. Like, imagine The Dark Knight, but every scene is focused on what Joker is doing "behind-the-scenes" (instead of Bruce stitching up his dog bite wounds in the bat cave). It would be a straight-up psychological thriller with a few Batman delusions sprinkled throughout. Just like how Phoenix's Joker gradually amped up the crazinesses factor, the main Batman progression would be in the last 20 minutes of the film.

The reason is simply because we all see Phoenix's joker as a much lesser "villain" than what we are used to. Big-brained, maniac with a plan - always a few steps ahead of Batman. Sometimes throws the whole "plan" away at the last second just to mess with the caped crusader. Phoenix's Joker doesn't even seem capable of robbing a bank effectively lol. I think a good film for Phoenix's character would be a more psychological mind trickery in Arkham Asylum, sort of like the PS3 videogame. Less fighting and explosions, more Hannibal Lecter styled horror.

Last edited:

TUROK

The only flaw with that movie is that he never said "You gonna get joked, sucka!"

Would love to see this Joker face off with Batman, but by the time Batman becomes Batman, that dude would be an old coot.

Wunray

Thoughts on a sequel.

I really like this take on it.

sol_bad

I personally would prefer this to be a one and done. I'll still be there day 1 if it happens.
eeeeeeeee

buizel

Banned
Did anyone make a joke about when he had to Joaq-out that interviewers 'incite violence' question?

VulcanRaven

I hope it happens. I would like to see this Joker in a same movie with Batman. Spoilers:

The director has said that this is a stand alone movie but I wonder why they showed Bruce's parents getting killed near the end? That scene could have been left out. Its really setting up for a sequel. This movie would have worked well without the Wayne family too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom