• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joaquin Phoenix Joker Movie Filming Has Wrapped

J-Roderton

Source

The solo Joker film starring Joaquin Phoenix has concluded filming. The origin story will introduce fans to the popular villain, as he starts out as a struggling comedian known as Arthur Fleck. The storyline steps outside the regular DC Extended Universe storyline, creating a new banner for DC Films, expected to be known as DC Dark or DC Black.

Set for October 2019. Please be good.

joaquin-phoenix-as-joker1.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Based on Todd Phillips' previous output, I'm not anticipating much - but Joaquin alone might save it!

Skyr

Genuinely excited for this one. I love Joaquin as an actor.

Still not sure about Todd Phillips as an director tho.

Xenon

I'm sorry but this seems like such a waste and just continues DC's history of failing to leverage their IPs together. I'm not saying they need to build up to an avengers type film but having another one off film isn't going to help them grow the brand.

Pagusas

Elden Member
is it wrong that I want a generic batman film? Not a fatleck murdering batman, not a strange tatooed up joker film, not a realistic based nolan film, just a comic book inspired, detective batman film with a traditional looking batman and a traditional looking cast of villians.

JimiNutz

Banned
is it wrong that I want a generic batman film? Not a fatleck murdering batman, not a strange tatooed up joker film, not a realistic based nolan film, just a comic book inspired, detective batman film with a traditional looking batman and a traditional looking cast of villians.

I really want this too. It's crazy that we've had so many live action Batman films but we've never actually had an authentic comic book Batman on screen (not including animated offerings).
I'd love to see a traditional Batman film with multiple villains as well, something like Arkham Asylum but on screen.

The Joker is one of my favourite characters so I'm still anticipating the film but I wish they'd handle the Batman movie franchise differently.

Last edited:
I’m gonna see this and I’m excited but I don’t get why this couldn’t be connected to The Batman or a new Batman series.

For me this feels worse than Venom without Spidey

G-Bus

Banned
I'm sorry but this seems like such a waste and just continues DC's history of failing to leverage their IPs together. I'm not saying they need to build up to an avengers type film but having another one off film isn't going to help them grow the brand.

They need this to be successful and use that as a starting point moving forward. Forget fallowing the same lines as what Marvel's doing.

Make it rated R or something and run with this "dark" or "black" theme. Super gritty and realistic.

If anything they need to get away from Batman. Overplayed imo.

Vlaphor

What I find so weird is that they already have a perfectly fine template from which to make their DCEU from. The animated shows. The Batman movies should be a big budget adaptation of Batman TAS, and everything else should be a movie length version of the Justice League cartoon. If they feel it's a bit too kiddy, then look at what the Arkham games did for inspiration.

Uhtred

Very excited, Phoenix is such a talent, always has been.

Can we get a Superman Dark, or Superman Black?

Last edited:

kbear

Swing away, Joaquin. Dude has never not delivered. I’m not worried about this being shit. At the very least it’ll be a Bohemian Rhapsody deal where the lead performance is transcendent but the rest of the movie is whatever. I think it’ll deliver on all fronts, though.

Swing away, Joaquin. Dude has never not delivered. I’m not worried about this being shit. At the very least it’ll be a Bohemian Rhapsody deal where the lead performance is transcendent but the rest of the movie is whatever. I think it’ll deliver on all fronts, though.

I’m sure he, at least, will be tremendous.

Not sure on this one yet. Though I agree Phoenix will be very good, just not sure about the rest.

I like the angle they're going for with DC Universe app though.

Titans and then Swamp Thing/Doom Patrol/Stargirl.

So far it feels like Arrow s1/2 and Flash s1 in terms of direction. But with better production values and not restricted by being on the CW. You can tell when it has the main people behind it they do quite well.

The movie side of things I have less faith in, unless it's the animated ones. Those are usually pretty good/decent on DC's side.

molnizzle

Not connected to DCEU?

Man, WB just doesn't get it. The shared universe is the entire reason people love the MCU.

Top Bottom