• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan: "Video Games Are a “Problem” and Gamers Are Wasting Their Time"

Y u make me upset, Joey?
IrWUNwE.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its a harsh truth but Joe does have a point. I quit gaming 8 months ago. Bought a new car, I have an amazing new girlfriend, I make a shitload of money and I'm buying a house this spring. I party every weekend, I'm never home. I'm enjoying life. Do yourselves a favor, gaf. Stop trying to make gaming a career. Its cringe as fuck.

TaroYamada

As I get older I feel similarly but it really is just another form of entertainment. I think for me it's about how much filler there is in games. Nowadays I far prefer a 10-20 hour single player campaign that is paced well.

There's also some mechanics that just in their entirety feel like busy work to me as I age, crafting being the worst offender but there's others like the preposterous realism of something like RDR2 (that's not really all that realistic, such as being reported to the police for animal cruelty for accidentally killing my horse in a jump, nobody back then gave a hoot about livestock abuse).

Its a harsh truth but Joe does have a point. I quit gaming 8 months ago. Bought a new car, I have an amazing new girlfriend, I make a shitload of money and I'm buying a house this spring. I party every weekend, I'm never home. I'm enjoying life. Do yourselves a favor, gaf. Stop trying to make gaming a career. Its cringe as fuck.
Henry Cavill plays video games regularly and makes more money than you're ever make.

And that guy fucks.

Banned
gotta love how he immediately brings up an example that is literally the exact same...

I would argue in this day and age it is WAAAAAAAY more plausible to make a career playing video games than to make a career being a martial arts master of any kind.

and learning most martial arts is also a complete waste of time, like every hobby on earth.
you can't really defend yourself with most of the traditional martial arts anyways, that has been demonstrated time and time again, where karate masters get totally fucked by people who did Kravmagar for 5 years.

Last edited:
Better get checked out. You might have the kung-flu!

Rikoi

So he's saying that every guy that trained in martial arts 3 years can open a gym and be rich with 100 students paying you.
I would disagree with this but ok, it's possible.
He's also saying that videogames deny you to do this because they are too much fun and addicting. This might be true too.
But it's true for any kind of media, there are people that consume movies, series, <insert anything else> the whole day. Any addiction that doesn't make you think about anything else is toxic.

Banned
but I use games to learn glorious nihongo

not sure if you're joking, but, I partly learned English by playing games and watching movies.

I mean, of course you learn English in school, but that basic ass shit won't even get you close to actually peaking the language IMO

when I started playing a lot of PC games online my English got rapidly better and better.
playing with English speaking people on my favourite ZombieMaster server, or Insurgency server helped a lot

Last edited:

TalentedMrJ

IMO partying every weekend is a massive waste of time. But that time in my life is over.
Any and everything can be seen as a waste of time.
Some would say life is a waste of time. What's the point???
And the shitload of money you make. How will that serve you once your time on Earth is up?

Long story short. Different strokes, different folks

00_Zer0

I like Joe Rogan. He is not of the woke crowd. He speaks about things, not from a woke agenda, or unhinged emotional feelings, but from an almost evryman style viewpoint. I like listening to his podcast, and while I don't agree with him one hundred percent of the time, there are many issues he talks about that I agree with. He is left, but not a far leftists with a woke ideology. Look at him though, the man clearly isn't just about videogames. He actually likes them, but he clearly won't be on NeoGaf any time soon making threads. He is more into fitness and professional fighting. He clearly admires some games, and some videogame creators. He had John Carmack on and they talked for hours. See them here:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Okay but watching TV and movies (and %99 of books) and listening to his podcast is also “a complete waste of time” if you boil it down to this logic. It’s overly simplistic thinking that’s falsely tied to video games as being a virgin/loser/nerd pastime. It’s no different than any other hobby that billions of people engage in every day to escape and blow off steam, if you dig deeper into the philosophy behind this really ignorant idea.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

He has a point, ain’t nothing wrong with grinding out some online matches in whatever game you like for 2-4 hours or even grind a single player game. The problem is when you play the game everyday for 8+ hours and don’t do anything in your regular life. There’s a balance.

Mobilemofo

That's great and we'll done. I also agree with the career thing.. Its not something everybody should do but it's their right. I will say this tho. On a personal level, nearly everybody I know drinks. I don't. Everything revolves around drinking and partying. I sacked drinking about 20 years ago.. It got boring. I game instead of going to the pub and damaging my lungs/shove shit up my nose at parties. Having fun without spending a fortune to fuck myself up? Priceless..

Rikoi

Quit gaming 8 months ago. Bought a new car, I have an amazing new girlfriend, I make a shitload of money and I'm buying a house this spring. I party every weekend, I'm never home. I'm enjoying life. Do yourselves a favor. Stop trying to make gaming a career. It's cringe as fuck
Man it looks like those ADs you see on the internet where some random dude became a millionarie by reading a book.

Azurro

Banned
He has a point, videogames isn't any different from any leisure activity, it's something to do only for fun and should be done in moderation. If that's ALL you do, then yeah, they are a problem but it's not because of videogames themselves, but rather a failure of the person of making effective use of their time.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have to agree. It's like getting stoned, you are having great time, but once you stop it, you are back to reality and nothing has changed. I like to play video games when I have earned a break, but never to ignore my responsibilities.

Also, it is becoming a problem among youth. I don't know a single successful person outside of the gaming industry who plays video games for more than 10+ hours a week on average, and those numbers are becoming the norm among the young gamers.

SOOG_MR_2020_img2.JPG

If you can play video games for long stretches of time while achieving all your goals, more power to you. I just gave up.

Other stats I found interesting, on gaming interfering with life:

SOOG_MR_2020_img33.JPG

SOOG_MR_2020_img34.JPG

Source:

Last edited:
I feel it depends on how you view life. if you're of the school of there's always meaning and purpose in every life, then yes he's correct in the fact that if you really get addicted to gaming just like anything else, you'll be "wasting your life". but I feel that whole "don't get anywhere/waste of time for most people" thing can apply to pretty much all entertainment, including his podcast. most people just want to have some fun and escape whatever is bothering them through the entertainment they seek, be it gaming, TV, movie, novels etc. I've had occasions where I binge read a book so much I didn't go to bed and messed up my school day way back then. did I get anything out of that book other than the joy of reading it? not really. but that's entertainment and life for you.

TLZ

Banned
Neither a career, neither quit. Just a tool for fun when free.

Freeman

Banned
He's not wrong, but coming from a dude that promotes all sort of recreational drug use is a bit hypocritical.

Maybe I should've used my time that I played trying to do something productive, studying and shit and it all sounds great. But fuck it, I tried a bunch of stuff that were supposed to be productive but didn't work out, a bunch of stuff that I insisted on but in the end turned out just as unproductive as playing games.

Lets say that it all worked out and I ended up making more money, maybe I could be fucking supermodels and being a rockstart or some tech guru (all extremely unlikely) , who's to say I wouldn't just hang myself in the closet while jerking off depressed after getting a divorce.

A rich dude in California, that is absolute ignorant about most things, doing DMA in the desert and meditating in his sensorial deprivation tank while passing judgment on broke ass dudes just trying to entertain themselves, while making money entreating people.

Games are a waste of time, comedy is a waste of time, podcast is a waste of time, smoking weed is a waste of time, hunting is a waste of time, sports are a waste of time, getting your ass fucked is a waste of time and so on.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I can see online gaming to be an addiction.
Single player games as just entertainment.
I make next month 30k. Yet gaming is still my one and only hobby.
So i manage both plus family.

But back in the day i admit it was work 8 hours then game for the rest of the day. Nothing else interested me. Didnt even care to go out meet people women
I think i can say i wasted some of my time yes.

But then again in todays climate i would never go out in fear of going to jail for just looking at a woman the wrong way or calling a cis gender person a he or she . So i would just stick to gaming

Reactions: MrS

kretos

Banned
That's great and we'll done. I also agree with the career thing.. Its not something everybody should do but it's their right. I will say this tho. On a personal level, nearly everybody I know drinks. I don't. Everything revolves around drinking and partying. I sacked drinking about 20 years ago.. It got boring. I game instead of going to the pub and damaging my lungs/shove shit up my nose at parties. Having fun without spending a fortune to fuck myself up? Priceless..

LOL it's a copypasta

Quit gaming 29 years ago. Bought and own the company, Tesla. I'm dating a famous artist, and we have a kid due soon (maybe I'll name it something crazy). I make a shit ton of gualla-gualla and will be purchasing the country of Russia this spring. I've never stopped partying, and I don't know what it's like to be home, as I have never slept a minute in my existence. I'm enjoying my retransformation from an inter dimensional galaxy. Stop trying to be like me, Elon Musk. It's fucking cringetopia.

KAL2006

Banned

Bruh

You had to quit gaming to achieve those things. I'm a step ahead of you, already bought a house years ago (in fact can pay off the mortgage if I want and I'm in my early 30s). Got a wife and yeah got a social life don't really party though find that shit a waste of time. And guess what I achieved all this but still played videogames yeah I know what a miracle.

jigglet

Banned
If I didn't play / understand games I could see myself sharing this opinion.

Also if I were as sociable and likeable as Joe I'd probably share the same opinion too.

Alas I'm some loser sitting here with nothing else to do. So games it is.

Top Bottom