• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Mario 64 for the first time in my life

MagnesD3

Its my second favorite game ever, It is possibly the best type of mario game (bowsers furys type may surpass it), its only big issue is a poor camera. Its one of the only games I wish had a remake to fix the camera so more younger generations would be more willing to play this masterpiece.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Hate it when people bash this game for "aging poorly" or whatever. Mario's moveset is outstanding to this day, crazy what the devs pulled off in 1996. Git gut.
That's crazy talk. It plays great and I'm having tons of fun. Most platformers today can only wish they had as much charm as this game. I'm also digging the little details and Easter eggs because it's the kind of stuff that feels rewarding when you try to experiment with gameplay.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How I felt when I played OoT for the first time some decade after its release (and despite the low fps, controller and everything else). Gaming wouldn't be the same if Nintendo hadn't shown us the way (even if few manage to reach their highs, being able to study them brought us better games).

They should be mandatory study at any gaming related course because seeing some so called developers (so called gamers too but who cares about those) shit on them or the idea of ever trying to play them is just, well, no wonder your games never amounted to anything, you miss core tenets.

Last edited:

Mahnmut

It's an absolute classic. Nintendo just showed (and absolutely nailed) how to transpose 2D concepts into the 3D realm and layed the blueprint for modern platform games. I would even say that it layed the basics for every coming games using 3D space.
It's still relevant today in terms of gameplay and level design. Only a few games will be remembered as Mario 64. It's just a masterpiece that made the medium we all love move forward.

Buggy Loop

It didn't take itself for anything else than a video game. A rare thing nowadays.

Always liked this detail that in the first 3D game they made for N64 they thought, who is behind the camera as you control it? It's a Lakitu. So cool. Can't think of a game doing something of the like since then (?).

super mario nintendo GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
Also I played it when it came out and then didn't replay it fully until last year with my girlfriend who doesn't game. It's still so good that it made me wonder why the fuck pure, immediate joy like this is so rare now. Just boot up, plug in and within 30 seconds you're off to the races.
Yeah, it's just instantly entertaining. And so many things about it are just iconic. Especially the sound effects and music which I always kept hearing in some random YouTube videos and podcasts but never even knew they all came from this game. And now I'm playing this and I'm constantly like "eyy, I know that sound!"

I see your posts and threads, read em, consider your opinions. I knew there was something different about your perspective, but jesus, notlikethis.gif.
What do you mean, lol

Deerock71

It was an amazing game. When it came out, the store kiosks had kids lined up to play that game (and ignore the periodic resets) and all the other systems had none. It was leaps ahead of anything else on the console market.
I was absolutely one of those people lined up in Sears to look at the marvel of 3D, followed by my eyes getting wider when I tip-toed around a sleeping piranha plant; I was raised around digital controls, and Miyamoto crafted an ingenious way to show me degrees of pressure on the stick actually matters now. 🤯

MAtgS

I have squandered my childhood by not playing this when I was a kid.

It's a video games' video game. One of the most video game-y video games I've ever played.

The kind of game that makes you appreciate being a gamer.
A true early example of sandbox gaming. For people back in '96 when 3D was still a new thing, just running and jumping around was an experience. & being able to mess with Mario's face on the title screen demonstrates how much the game exists to be a virtual toy.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Like if I was ripley and I found out you are a synthetic. According to the movie we can be friends, though. Eventually.

1aqlvc.jpg
Don't worry, I only excrete white liquids from one appendage, and it ain't no finger.

I'm also pretty sure you could find at least a couple of people around here who didn't play the games that I did when I was growing up. I was a PC gamer as kid and all my friends had PlayStation.

Top Bottom