• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carpenter Says New Halloween Picks Up Right After the Original

Cranster

Banned
When Danny McBride originally began discussing the new sequel (not a remake, mind you) that he and David Gordon Green were writing together (and Green is going to direct for producers Jason Blum and John Carpenter), he made a bold statement regarding re-writing the Halloween canon. Specifically, he noted that their movie was going to focus on providing a "grounded" story that "focuses on the first two films." This pretty much meant the new installment was going to ignore eight other sequels, further muddying the mythos of a franchise whose convoluted, conflicting narratives (a rejection of the central killer, the Devil (Maybe), Thorn Cults, redneck hobos) are already baffling when lined up against one another.

Not satisfied to let everyone else have fun on his dime regarding these fractured franchise happenings, Carpenter himself has chimed in and tossed a wrench into the narrative proceedings. Speaking with Stereo Gum, the legendary genre director got real weird with his description:

"It’s kind of a… I don’t know how to describe it. It’s almost an 'alternative reality.' It picks up after the first one and it pretends that none of the others were made. It’s gonna be fun. There’s a really talented director and it was well-written. I’m impressed.”

"Alternative reality." Bro, what? Carpenter went on to elaborate a bit regarding Jamie Lee Curtis reprising her role as iconic Final Girl, Laurie Strode (who may also have a daugher played by Judy Greer, who's in talks to play Karen Strode).

So, it is at least kind of going to be McBride and Green's Halloween: H20 (call it H40, I suppose). But this really makes us curious as to whether ot not Michael Myers is still Laurie's brother in this "reality", as that storyline wasn't introduced until Halloween II (though, again, there is footage in the TV Version that alludes to their familial relationship -- though that wasn't shot until three years later, after that initial sequel was already written). To be honest, it could be cool if McBride and Green discarded that thread entirely, and returned the narrative to Myers being a sort of "unknowable evil" who returns decades later to claim "the one that got away."
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/10...-halloween-will-be-set-in-alternative-reality

So now we're ignoring Halloween 2, are we, and basically sorta remaking at the same time (Halloween 2 picked up immediately after the first too). Make up your mind filmmakers. That being said, this could actually be good, even though the continuity looks to be all over the place. Should be better then Zombie's trash films.

DiscoJer

That's what the Exorcist TV show did. It ignored the sequel (which was awful) and the pretty good (if low budget) 3rd movie (directed by the original author)

kai3345

Banned
This isn't a new thing for Halloween. H20 completely ignores 4, 5 & 6

More franchises should do this IMO. Especially ones bloated with consistently garbage entries.

mreddie

Halloween > Halloween 2 > Halloween H20 > Halloween Ressurection.
Halloween > Halloween 2 > Halloween 4 > Halloween 5 > Halloween 6

Now it's
Halloween > Halloween 2018?

Ay carumba.

So now we're ignoring Halloween 2, are we, and basically sorta remaking at the same time (Halloween 2 picked up immediately after the first too). Make up your mind filmmakers. That being said, this could actually be good, even though the continuity looks to be all over the place. Should be better then Zombie's trash films.
Yessssssss

Just like I have been asking for! Finally.

If H20 didn't exist I would probably be more excited for this. So far though they are doing their best to appeal to me. A Halloween movie with no family bullshit and Michael just being walking evil is what I've been wanting.

I guess I can understand ignoring part 2. It was only made to kill off Myers and Dr. Loomis so that Carpenter could move on and continue the Halloween series with a different story. And I love that it basically makes Rob Zombie's remake officially worthless.

Gulz1992

If they’re ignoring Halloween 2 than hopefully Laurie is no longer related to Michael. The family angle always seemed like such a hackneyed plot twist that was thrown in the sequel to just try to give Michael some sort of justification. It was much more effective when Laurie was just a random stranger he wanted to kill simply because he was evil.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If they’re ignoring Halloween 2 than hopefully Laurie is no longer related to Michael. The family angle always seemed like such a hackneyed plot twist that was thrown in the sequel to just try to give Michael some sort of justification. It was much more effective when Laurie was just a random stranger he wanted to kill simply because he was evil.

Danny McBride talked about how he hated the sister stuff so I guess this was to be expected...I still love H2 though.

louiedog

I told my Google Home to play the Halloween theme while I started to read that. It's the best thing I've done with it yet.

CDX

Hmm. I expected it to be set after Halloween 2 or H20, as more info became available it seemed likely they were ignoring H20.

Which I guess is fine, because H20 itself ignored every previous movie but 1 and 2.

But I am a little surprised this one is going to ignore part 2. Because of that, we now don't really know of they are siblings.

In their defence, Halloween did this first when H20 ignored Halloweens 4,5 and 6.

So did Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not counting the Platinum Dunes reboots:

TCM -> TCM2
TCM -> Leatherface: TCM3
TCM -> TCM: Next Generation
TCM -> TC3D

Not sure how much the new Leatherface is connected to TC3D, but it seems to be:
Leatherface -> TCM

All original TCM sequels(and prequel) revolve around the one true star that is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I actually quite liked Halloween 2, but I guess this is for the best. Most people have probably only seen the original and you don't want to assign a bunch of homework to your audience.

Top Bottom