• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel to the first one coming in 2020

brap

Banned
I'm sensing a new trend here. Politically correct feminist sequel to Friday the 13th when??

Details are slim, but it's said that Fede Alvarez, the filmmaker behind the Evil Dead remake and Don't Breathe, will produce the new entry. This is not being eyed as something Alvarez would direct. He's said to be seeking a director to bring on board. The most interesting part of the report is that the plan may be to make this as a direct sequel to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. However, it's cautioned that this isn't firmed up and that plans are still being hatched. That said, taking that approach would make a great deal of sense, and there is a clear path laid out for how Legendary and Alvarez could accomplish such a thing, should they so choose.

2018's Halloween served as a direct sequel to John Carpenter's original 1978 slasher classic. It ignored every prior sequel in the franchise so that director David Gordon Green could go in with clean continuity and craft a much better story. Ultimately, that paid off in a big way as both critics and audiences alike responded, leading to a $255 million take at the box office. Two sequels, Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends are underway. It's easy to see how Legendary could see that and attempt to mirror such success with Leatherface.

im PISSED

because you actually CAN do a chainsaw massacre prequel/sequel AND EASILY make it something that can stand on it's own

this shit is gonna be some MINT CLEAN FUCKING SHIT

that damn house is gonna be POLISHED CLEAN

they gonna have leatherface sat up on that makeup chair for HOURS

the victims are gonna be GORGEOUS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Last edited:
I think I have lost track of the timeline over the years.. Haven't the last three movies all been their own reboot?

Remember when Matthew McConaughey was in one, with Renée Zellweger?

i remember they made a modern chainsaw movie and leatherface looked like a goddamn WWE star like he's kane's cousin or some shit

fuck these jive ass chump fucking filmmakers
?------V

rr48meF.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY FUCK

IDEA

hand over the chainsaw series to Todd Phillips (JOKER 2019) because as some of us have seen the leaks, we know what Todd Phillips can do

brap

Banned
I think I have lost track of the timeline over the years.. Haven't the last three movies all been their own reboot?
I think Leatherface might've been but the other ones weren't. Texas 3D is already a direct sequel I just found out.

i remember they made a modern chainsaw movie and leatherface looked like a goddamn WWE star like he's kane's cousin or some shit

fuck these jive ass chump fucking filmmakers
Are you talking about See No Evil that actually starred Kane?

Bootyful

Banned
Politically correct feminist sequel to Friday the 13th when??

The director of Part 6 has an idea for an all female cast without it being all about wokeness or feminism. I really hope he gets the chance to make it once this lawsuit is settled.

this leatherface, in his mind he's just trying to eat dinner

like a farmer would kill a chicken or a goat, they're just trying to eat

on top of that, he is COMPLETELY socially inept since he was raised by a family of social deviants in the middle of nowhere so he still behaves like a child even though he has the capabilities of an adult

THAT IS IT

THAT'S WHY IT WORKS

with these new ones they're trying to make leatherface out to be some creature that crawled out of hell with a kind of mystique to him, fucken BULLSHIT

Last edited:

brap

Banned

The director of Part 6 has an idea for an all female cast without it being all about wokeness or feminism. I really hope he gets the chance to make it once this lawsuit is settled.

I'll believe it when it see it. Holy fuck though this dude directed Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life. I love that movie.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can't be worse than whatever the fuck Rob Zombie did with Halloween!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean who would even like part 6 xXxKi$$e$&Razorblade$xXx chan?

His Halloween is unironically better than 3-6.
i admittedly couldnt take my eyes off robs halloween

its very watchable

probably gonna revisit soon

also gonna check out halloween 2018 with danny mcbride

the only thing the original had going for it imo and also tops the modern ones, is atmosphere

it honestly gets boring

There seems to be two fan bases around this franchise. The ones who loved the dirt and grit of the 1974 movie, and the ones who loved the flashy Hollywood gore of the 2003/2006 movies. Fede caters to the latter. I think the best thing to take from this news is that we're guaranteed to get something a hell of a lot better than Texas Chainsaw 3D and that fucking Leatherface prequel. Admittedly, they both set a very, VERY low bar.

brap

Banned
There seems to be two fan bases around this franchise. The ones who loved the dirt and grit of the 1974 movie, and the ones who loved the flashy Hollywood gore of the 2003/2006 movies. Fede caters to the latter. I think the best thing to take from this news is that we're guaranteed to get something a hell of a lot better than Texas Chainsaw 3D and that fucking Leatherface prequel. Admittedly, they both set a very, VERY low bar.
You'll never get a gritty movie like the original TCM or LHODES or LHOTF ever again. It's a different time.

this looks try hard as fuck

you can see and feel the effort that was put into this

the 1974 one worked because it was so crude, not just the garments but the set, props and surroundings as well

Yes, that crude, unrefined quality gave it a very uncomfortable authenticity. Sometimes production values can work against the very nature of the thing you are trying to create.

cryptoadam

Banned
meh whatever, horror movies are just explotation cash in movies anyways. Purpose is to put butts in seats and make a nice profit off a relativly low budget affair. This isn't Lawarence of Arabia here.

It would be cool for Hollywood to have fresh new ideas but we are way past that point. Just shit out the reboot, get your 200 Million and wait a few years for the next reboot that will erase all the continuity once again.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Movies take effort no doubt but sometimes you need literally someone killing another, great franchise. This should be great.

Doom85

Im part of the problem i like paul rudd halloween.

The producer's cut really isn't that bad, while there are some problems it has some decent ambience and of course the last hurrah of the greatness that was Donald Pleasance. To me, the only stinkers in the franchise were Resurrection and the two Zombie films. Resurrection is just stupid, and Zombie's Halloween fucks up what Carpenter intended by explaining Michael's mindset and even fails at that as the family in Zombie's film are nothing like what we saw of them in the opening of the original film so guess what that means Zombie didn't even explain anything about Michael because he was clearly raised under very different circumstances in this continuity, hell Zombie's Michael is more like Jason Voorhees than proper Michael. And wow, what an original origin, people were mean to him so he became evil. Fucking deep stuff there, Zombie. And then Zombie's 2, yeah, that was just painful watching Laurie just fucking whine and scream the whole movie while Michael just kinda does jack shit for most of the film and Loomis is randomly turned into a greedy asshole.

As for this announced TCM film, I'm kind of over this franchise already. The original is excellent, the 2003 remake is fairly good, and all the others suck. The 4th one is worth a watch though just for how batshit insane it gets.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
And better than 2018 Halloween which ended up being about woman power. The finale of that film felt like Michael ended up as a victim in a Saw movie.
I haven't watched it because I don't care for modern horror but I keep hearing that.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Yeah, I’m in the Jessica Biel 2003 camp. I enjoyed the original for what it was but can’t say it aged well.

This series is such a clusterfuck, 3 sequels to just the first film, a remake. a prequel to the remake, a prequel to the original and now.... another sequel to the first movie!

Airola

This franchise is one that has only one excellent part and that's the first one. It has already had tons of either lukewarm or bad sequels and prequels and whatever that I'm all up for someone at least trying to make a good movie out of the concept.

The Jessical Biel one has been the second best of the franchise. The Dennis Hopper one is very much overrated but surely comes third. The rest of them I don't care which position on the list they get.

And better than 2018 Halloween which ended up being about woman power. The finale of that film felt like Michael ended up as a victim in a Saw movie.

I haven't watched it because I don't care for modern horror but I keep hearing that.

What, 2018 Halloween was amazing! It's right up there among the good films of the franchise (original Halloweens 1-3).

Airola

Guess we don't have the same tastes. I mean Halloween 3 is shit.

Halloween 3 is the most johncarpenterey movie there can be without Carpenter directing it. Also has one of the best endings in the whole movie history. One of the most underrated movies ever made, if not even the most underrated. The mood there is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

I kinda can imagine someone not liking it if they are disappointed by it not being a Michael Myers move and not being able to get over it, or they aren't into the completely oddball idea of masks killing kids when activated by a tv show intro and find it laughable if anything. If one can deal with both I can't find any reason any Carpenter fan wouldn't like the film. As I said it's the most "carpenter" movie ever directed by someone else than Carpenter.

brap

Banned
Halloween 3 is the most johncarpenterey movie there can be without Carpenter directing it. Also has one of the best endings in the whole movie history. One of the most underrated movies ever made, if not even the most underrated. The mood there is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

I kinda can imagine someone not liking it if they are disappointed by it not being a Michael Myers move and not being able to get over it, or they aren't into the completely oddball idea of masks killing kids when activated by a tv show intro and find it laughable if anything. If one can deal with both I can't find any reason any Carpenter fan wouldn't like the film. As I said it's the most "carpenter" movie ever directed by someone else than Carpenter.
It's a stupid tongue in cheek horror comedy. They Live, The Thing, Halloween, Escape from NY, The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13 are all trillions of times better. I don't get why you and everybody else who likes that movie acts like it's some masterpiece. Also everybody knows by now it doesn't have Michael Myers in it. I mean there's that one scene on the tv but you know what I mean.

VulcanRaven

They made a direct sequel already. Texas Chainsaw 3D was released in 2013. It wasn't as good as the first one but I liked it.

Last edited:

Doom85

What, 2018 Halloween was amazing!

Damn straight. Also don't know what that other poster was on claiming it's about "girl power" and Michael being a victim as this film had easily one of his highest body counts including quite a few women (also first one where he kills a kid) and in terms of defeating Michael he got way more owned in 5 when Loomis actually knocks him out so he can be arrested and in 7 when Laurie just straight up kills him (don't bring up 8, I can bring up a shit ton of plotholes and contrivances that make the body switch virtually impossible based on what was actually shown in 7).

GV82

Re: Rob Zombies Halloween - Rob said on Joe Rogans Podcast the other day, that the Weinstein's wouldn’t stop interfering on those movies.

It’s worth listening to the full podcast with Rob some interesting stories like witnessing a murder the first day he moved out - that didn’t phase him, life as a carnival child including a crazy story about the carnage that Broke out which wasreason his family gave up Carnie life, what he thinks about bullying, horror films and other interesting stories.

But yeah, Rob gets the sort of hillbilly redneck, dirty gritty feel down in his films that would work well for Latherface, maybe so long as the studio left him alone & he had another writer onboard.

Gargus

Banned
I kind of wish rob zombie would do it and do it as his own thing. Just tone down the characters a bit like he did with lords of Salem characters instead of crazier ones like house of a thousand corpses.

Yeah Halloween was botched pretty bad but the problem was he tried to do a half remake and from what I read he was micromanaged way too much and controlled. But Texas chainsaw is perfect for him. And after his past couple movies maybe he needs to just work on things for others instead of creating everything on his own so he can just focus on design and directing and putting his own spin on it. But it's crazy rednecks, it's perfect for him.

I kind of wish rob zombie would do it and do it as his own thing. Just tone down the characters a bit like he did with lords of Salem characters instead of crazier ones like house of a thousand corpses.

Yeah Halloween was botched pretty bad but the problem was he tried to do a half remake and from what I read he was micromanaged way too much and controlled. But Texas chainsaw is perfect for him. And after his past couple movies maybe he needs to just work on things for others instead of creating everything on his own so he can just focus on design and directing and putting his own spin on it. But it's crazy rednecks, it's perfect for him.
Rob Zombie is about the only film-maker I would trust to put out a decent Chainsaw movie.

Top Bottom