• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp Allegedly Uses an Earpiece to Feed Him Lines

Dalek

Johnny Depp Has a "Clear and Epic" Sense of Entitlement, Ex-Managers Say

Johnny Depp's former business managers aren't taking his recent comments about their dispute lightly — and they have escalated their claims against the actor in an amended complaint.

The legal battle between Depp and The Management Group's Joel and Robert Mandel began in January, when the actor sued his former business managers for fraud. TMG fired back, saying the actor's financial woes are all his own.

TMG says Depp's sense of entitlement is "clear and epic," as evidenced by his recent interview with The Wall Street Journal — in which he said, “It's my money. If I want to buy 15,000 cotton balls a day, it's my thing."

"Depp listened to no one, including TMG and his other advisors, and he demanded they fund a lifestyle that was extravagant and extreme," writes attorney Michael Kump in the amended complaint filed Monday. "Ultimately, Depp and/or his sister and personal manager, Elisa Christie Dembrowski, knowingly approved all of Depp's expenditures."

Cited among the purchases are 14 residences, 45 luxury vehicles, 70 collectible guitars and enough Hollywood memorabilia to fill 12 storage facilities.

Notably, the managers also claim that Depp spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on a sound engineer who feeds him lines on set.

"Depp insisted that this sound engineer be kept on yearly retainer so that he no longer had to memorize his lines," writes attorney Michael Kump.

TMG also claims Depp's "army of attorneys" has bailed him out of legal crises and made a series of "hush money settlements" — details of which they promise will be revealed during trial.

Further, the business managers say Depp habitually lies to the public and authorities to avoid taking responsibility for his actions — including the infamous Australian dog smuggling incident and reportedly volatile behavior with his now ex-wife Amber Heard.

Writes Kump, "Depp's 45-page complaint against TMG, which is replete with demonstrably false and fraudulent allegations, was filed solely to avoid the non-judicial foreclosure of his properties, and is just another example of Depp's pattern of habitual lies and deception designed to avoid responsibility for his actions."

SpaceWolf

Banned
Calling bullshit on this.

From the BBC:

A lawyer for the movie star responded by describing the allegations as "psychobabble".

A statement from Adam Waldman said: "This is how guilty people respond when confronted with the detailed results of a nine-month legal and forensic investigation conducted by four firms."

Platy

"reportedly volatile behavior with his now ex-wife Amber Heard."

Talk about minimization of shitness

Ric Flair

Banned
I can understand the sound engineer bit, I wouldn't want to memorize Captain Jack Sparrows lines either, and that's all he ever does now

Alx

I think it's not an isolated case, I remember an interview with Gérard Depardieu (French actor) who explained he was using one in all his recent films (granted, he's older than Depp).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is the guy even in movies where he doesn't play a pirate anymore anyway?

Plenty actually. But those roles still involve him wearing heavy makeup and eccentric outfits, rambling incoherent dialogue, and are usually critically panned.

strafer

btw, when was the last time Johnny played a role that didn't involve dressing up or putting on heavy makeup?

Donnie Brasco? I miss those roles.

I don't see what the big deal is. As long as he sounds convincing in his delivery him memorizing it doesn't really mean anything. It's not like you'd be able to tell the difference on the finished product.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Well, he's blind in one eye and has bad vision in the other, so I assume its pretty difficult to re-read scripts a bunch of times.

Oozer3993

Marlon Brando did it during the filming of The Island of Dr. Moreau. And his earpiece would get interference from police radios if he turned his head too much, which led to him repeating all points bulletins in the middle of a line. Johnny Depp appeared in multiple movies with Brando around the same time too.

Catdaddy

Don't see a problem with being fed lines like that, sure its widespread these days....it's just verbal cue cards...

The other shit proves he is as weird as the characters he plays

cackhyena

I don't see what the big deal is. As long as he sounds convincing in his delivery him memorizing it doesn't really mean anything. It's not like you'd be able to tell the difference on the finished product.

I really don't think it is a big deal. I just don't see how it's easier. Waiting for cues, staying in character and while the other character/s are talking, you're getting fed what you're supposed to say? I'd suck at it.

If this is a viable alternative, maybe they should all do this on SNL.

sirap

Gonna call bullshit on this, at least in the original Pirates trilogy. Granted that was a decade ago, so I'm not sure if it's true now (I no longer work in post)

Even if it was, I don't see why it's such a big deal. I've heard rumors of other actors doing the same. Plus, Depp's checked out years ago :p

Jakoo

Is this supposed to be an affront to the sanctity of acting? Who cares if it gets the desired results for the director?

Peccavi

I'm...OK with this? What I care about is his performance, not whether he's memorized his lines or wiped his ass that morning.

If it works, I see no issue

Pj9TYuk.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
If the dude cant be fed lines and stay in character, thats damn impressive. Good for him for using his money to make his life easier, thats what its for! And as a video and audio engineer myself, 100k retainer is nothing extravagant or out of the ordienary, especially with the travel you'd be doing connected with him and the custom job duties that would be required for such a request.

Eh doesn't really matter if he can pull it off. The last movie I saw with him in was Black Mass and he did a good job. Freaked me out how well he did.

hoserx

How does buying 15,000 cotton balls make him "entitled" ? If you have the cash, you can buy whatever you want. He's earned the cash to make that purchase if he wants to. I'm not not trying to say he isn't a dick, but I'm not sure this was the best example.

Top Bottom