• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart’s Apple TV Plus show ends, over planned episodes on China and AI

LordOfChaos

Aw man. The show wasn't him at his best, but I do think he remains one of if not the best late night comedy news hosts. He's whip smart in interviewing others the way many aren't.

I hope he creates something else and it's even better. Where he can criticize China all he wants, pretty weak of Apple not to allow that while going for a prestige service like HBO. The AI part I imagine is because Apple will be entering the generative AI space maybe next year.

Also who the heck still thought they could get Jon to tow a corporate line and stay away from important topics?

tommib

It was not the perfect combo, was it? Jon Stewart known for politically incorrect humour at Apple, a trillion dollar global company highly invested in protecting their image to sell as many products across the world.

I watched the whole of first season and it seemed so tamed for Stewart - filled with socially conscious interludes and “relearn history” segments that are just out of character for a Stewart show. As an Apple and Jon Stewart fan, this joint-venture always felt wrong.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apple approached Stewart directly and expressed its need for the host and his team to be “aligned” with the company’s views on topics discussed. Rather than falling in line when Apple threatened to cancel the show, Stewart reportedly decided to walk.

At least you know he resisted selling out. Gotta respect that, agree with his takes or not.

Tams

Not a huge fan of Stewart, but he's been done one here.

This just vindicates my strict no Apple policy.

Top Bottom