• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard time believing it's not gonna be this Batgirl

key-600x480.jpg

Or at least inspired by this Batgirl.

I've never read Batgirl, but holy shit do I love this design. Makes me kinda want to read it. Anybody have some recommendations?

Lifeline

If they want to play it safe they should focus on the Bat-Family Universe and Villain Univers.

Batman is by far and away the most popular and commercially viable DC character. If you're going to build a cinematic universe build it around this character first! Especially since the Batman related characters (Batman/Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Harlequin and Deadshot) have probably been the best thing in the DCEU so far.

The Villain Universe is also a smart investment since thats an areas where Marvel is lacking (so it will allow the DCEU to fill a void and do something new). On top of that, a lot of the best DC Villains come from Batman so the two universes would be closely linked.

Once you get these two basic things right then they can try and introduce the more ambitious projects into the DCEU (Green Lantern, Flash, Constantine etc).

They should do rich guy universe with Batman, Green Arrow and Luthor teaming up for a investment. I heard Aaron Sorkin wanted to write a DC movie.

Start from here:
51YHqA2w0SL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It continues for acouple more volumes, and then Rebirth

and the Batman Endgame one shot tie in.
Entire book told with emoji.

Im not a fan of using emojis in texts but thought this issue was just really cool and fits in great with what Fletcher and Stewart had been doing.

and if you enjoy the Batgirl of Burnside books check out the Black Canary books, they have a few team ups over the series.

iFirez

This is very exciting to me but I was kind of hoping Whedon would return to some of his smaller works before tackling a large movie again; I was almost certain he wouldn't return to Comic Book movies anytime soon either.

His smaller work from Dr. Horrible to Dollhouse are TV or online projects and I would still like to see him deal with some of the metacinematic undertones and nuances he has attempted before. He is a masterful director and writer, but after playing in the Marvel Cinematic universe for quite a few years and then tackling politics in the most recent election, I always imagined him staying away from these huge multi-hundred million big studio blockbusters, atleast for a little while.

With Whedon's comedic timing and love of all things comic booky, I'm sure he'll do Batgirl justice but is it the justice we need him to be doing right now?

(I've seen a bunch of people tweeting and posting about how a female director and writer should work on this... that's the wrong kind of feminism people! Joss also has an amazingly talented writing team and staff he's worked with on many other projects who a large majority of are female. Also WB and DC getting a name like Joss' is a big get for them and would put people in seats at the cinema much more than an unknown and in this dark, glum DC movie season... don't we just need a little bit of Joss injected into that movie sphere to show others how DC movies should be done?)

This is very exciting to me but I was kind of hoping Whedon would return to some of his smaller works before tackling a large movie again; I was almost certain he wouldn't return to Comic Book movies anytime soon either.

Well, at least it's Batgirl and not Justice League. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up having a sub $100M budget. Even though WB does tend to overspend.

Still, I'd rather he had gone back to TV too. Firefly is one of my all time favorite shows but I've always found him to be a mediocre film director. But it's definitely a good get for DC from a business standpoint, there's no arguing that.

effzee

I'm not a huge fan of Whedon but hoping this is good. It will certainly appease the group that thinks the DC movies need more color and humor.

Well, at least it's Batgirl and not Justice League. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up having a sub $100M budget. Even though WB does tend to overspend.

Still, I'd rather he had gone back to TV too. Firefly is one of my all time favorite shows but I've always found him to be a mediocre film director. But it's definitely a good get for DC from a business standpoint, there's no arguing that.

Yeah, he bowed out of Marvel, made the Shakespeare movie, and then just... Waited for a different superhero. That's what his post Ultron timeline basically looks like, right?

Oh, and the political ads, right?

Yeah, he bowed out of Marvel, made the Shakespeare movie, and then just... Waited for a different superhero. That's what his post Ultron timeline basically looks like, right?

It's kinda weird when you think about it. After Avengers 1 & 2 he could have gotten any of his dream projects greenlit at pretty much any studio... Maybe he burned some bridges at Disney but even then, after 2 billion dollar movies, I would imagine he pretty much gets a free pass everywhere else.
But hey, for all I know, maybe Batgirl IS his dream project.

Cassandra Cain series is good. I enjoyed it better than Batman stuff at the time.

Batgirl_Vol_1_1.jpg

You're a good person.

Maybe he really did just need a break.

Or maybe Warners threw a LOT of money at him.

Lol, yeah, there's that too. Knowing WB and Marvel (at least under Perlmutter), I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon ends up getting a bigger paycheck upfront for Batgirl than he did for Avengers.

Vengal

Is that Batgirl run good? I almost feel like a batwomen would have more cover from a potential implosion of the batfleck universe.

It's kinda weird when you think about it. After Avengers 1 & 2 he could have gotten any of his dream projects greenlit at pretty much any studio... Maybe he burned some bridges at Disney but even then, after 2 billion dollar movies, I would imagine he pretty much gets a free pass everywhere else.
But hey, for all I know, maybe Batgirl IS his dream project.

These days, unless you're Nolan or Cameron you don't get to make dream projects, only movies studios are willng to make. And those are mostly comic book movies. Joss is a comic book dude though so I'm sure this IS a dream project for him.

The Shakespeare movie (Much Ado About Nothing) was filmed and released before the release of the first Avengers iirc. He has only did the political ads since Ultron was released.

Is that Batgirl run good? I almost feel like a batwomen would have more cover from a potential implosion of the batfleck universe.

If you like them completely changing Barbara Gordon's character and regressing years of characterization.

If not it absolutely sucks, could have been fine if it was Barbara's origin or Stephanie Brown though.

Cassandra Cain series is good. I enjoyed it better than Batman stuff at the time.

Batgirl_Vol_1_1.jpg
So good, just started to reread it in its entirety recently.

JimiNutz

Banned
Oh yes cant forget about those great DC villains like Generic Orc monster and Hot Topic bum joker.

True they've handled some of the villains poorly thus far but they still have plenty others that can be put to good use.

Maybe Hot Topic Joker could be ok in a better film as well. The tattoos are ridiculous though so best to keep those as covered up as much as possible.

Maybe Hot Topic Joker could be ok in a better film as well. The tattoos are ridiculous though so best to keep those as covered up as much as possible.

He should just wipe em off in the next movie.

"Oh, these. Ha. I thought it'd be funny."

(puts on straw hat & Hawaiian shirt)

That's better!

Lol, yeah, there's that too. Knowing WB and Marvel (at least under Perlmutter), I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon ends up getting a bigger paycheck upfront for Batgirl than he did for Avengers.

Especially since he now has two $1b+ grossing films under his belt, where when Marvel hired him, he had some TV directing credits and one film that grossed under $40m.

Spinluck

who in the hell are you guys talking about, lol. everybody expected some hypocrites to come out of the woodwork at some point but y'all are imagining things at the moment for sure to fit your narrative. bizarre.

anyways hopefully WB teaches Whedon how to shoot a movie and not have ABC Network-tier lighting for its scenes. Avengers is a straight up bad looking movie outside of some cool effects shots tbh.

And you can't even use the aspect ratio as an excuse because there are so many beautiful films shot in 1:85:1.

as much as I dislike the guy though he prolly is a good fit for Batgirl (the hipster one). wish him well. really hoping he reins in his wittiness though. his writing can be funny but it becomes overkill very quickly. and please WB don't let him hire any of his usuals like that wasteman Coulson or Amy Acker. I beg of you.

plus with Killing Joke and Jason Todd confirmed. And Wayne Manor burnt to the ground...maybe Joker did this all in one night? I wonder if this movie will show some of that or just skip it.

AoU was an improvement over Avengers visually.

I think DC will give him more wiggle room creatively. IIRC correctly, wasn't Whedon critical of the MCU creative process siding with Edgar Wright and whatnot?

I'm more concerned with his writing.

tomtom94

AoU was an improvement over Avengers visually.

I think DC will give him more wiggle room creatively. IIRC correctly, wasn't Whedon critical of the MCU creative process siding with Edgar Wright and whatnot?

I'm more concerned with his writing.
Whedon praised the MCU process during Avengers but had problems with it during Ultron (as did a number of directors - it seems to be mainly because Feige wanted phase 2 to be different from phase 1 but some of the bean-counters panicked that people wouldn't go see them. Hence Jenkins walking, problems with Wright, etc). Hence why Marvel had a big reshuffle after Ultron to essentially kick out the meddling producers and put Feige in charge of everything.

ZeoVGM

Banned
anyways hopefully WB teaches Whedon how to shoot a movie and not have ABC Network-tier lighting for its scenes. Avengers is a straight up bad looking movie outside of some cool effects shots tbh.

Aside from exaggerating how "bad" Avengers looks, it seems like you purposefully ignored Age of Ultron which looked absolutely fine and had some legitimately great shots.

Aside from exaggerating how "bad" Avengers looks, it seems like you purposefully ignored Age of Ultron which looked absolutely fine and had some legitimately great shots.

Eh, I don't think he's wrong about Avengers necessarily. But Age of Ultron IS a nice looking film, and a massive improvement in that regard.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Eh, I don't think he's wrong about Avengers necessarily. But Age of Ultron IS a nice looking film, and a massive improvement in that regard.

I feel like Avengers is middle of the road but not BAD-looking. It just doesn't try to do anything too interesting.

Joss knew this though. Lots of great stuff in AoU. That final shot with Ultron and Vision is one of the best in the MCU.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Back on topic, I'm really excited to see Joss' take on Batgirl but I just have zero faith in DC's ability to handle this universe.

Let's say Wonder Woman and Justice League are both critically panned. At the box office, Wonder Woman bombs and Justice League underperforms.

Do they even move forward with movies like Batgirl and Shazam at that point?

Ashhong

I feel like Avengers is middle of the road but not BAD-looking. It just doesn't try to do anything too interesting.

Joss knew this though. Lots of great stuff in AoU. That final shot with Ultron and Vision is one of the best in the MCU.

IMO AoU was middle of the road while Avengers was much worse. It's hard for a movie to actually look BAD to me. So a movie that doesn't do anything interesting is bottom tier, while a decent movie with cool parts is middle.

Back on topic, I'm really excited to see Joss' take on Batgirl but I just have zero faith in DC's ability to handle this universe.

Let's say Wonder Woman and Justice League are both critically panned. At the box office, Wonder Woman bombs and Justice League underperforms.

Batgirl yes. Shazam is being handled by New Line

Shaanyboi

Banned

Won't Aquaman already be filming by that point? Sounds like they're committed, atleast to some degree after Justice League.

Shazam ain't making any progress, Batman is apparently moving again, no word on Flash beyond it getting a rewrite. Gotham City Sirens frankly sounds like it's made more progress than half the movies in this lineup.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Real quick to hate Whedon after Avengers and AoU, but the moment he joins your "team" he is your new God....

funny

It's almost like Whedon's claim to fame was writing about a teenage girl everyone doubted who rose to being a genuine hero and people are happy to see that again, in contrast to Whedon trying to inject the feel of writing for a teenage female superhero while writing for male characters.

Won't Aquaman already be filming by that point? Sounds like they're committed, atleast to some degree after Justice League.

Shazam ain't making any progress, Batman is apparently moving again, no word on Flash beyond it getting a rewrite. Gotham City Sirens frankly sounds like it's made more progress than half the movies in this lineup.

Aquaman crew are in Australia now to film the movie. That they aren't moving forward on very profitable franchise is a weird fan fiction; and not the good kind you read in Arrow threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom