• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
WB is moving quickly on these films: The Batman, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens, Batgirl, Suicide Squad 2, and Green Lantern.

Guess they have a strong focus.

And when you add Man of Steel 2, Shazam, Black Adam, The Flash, JL Dark, possible sequels to Wonder Woman and Justice League...
I hope they clarify their slate and give some release windows at comic-con this year because it's so damn vague. Like, are they even pretending the Cyborg movie is still happening or can we move on?

And when you add Man of Steel 2, Shazam, Black Adam, The Flash, possible sequels to Wonder Woman and Justice League...
I hope they clarify their slate and give some release windows at comic-con this year because it's so damn vague. Like, are they even pretending the Cyborg movie is still happening or can we move on?

Flash is stalled with no director. Shazam is stalled. Man of Steel 2 remains in the dark until they confirm a director.

So, on your list, Black Adam, in production at another studio, is the sole film with real movement on it.

To state it without being vague, WB is clearly doubling down on what they feel is the strongest part of their DC properties: Batman and his adjacent universe.

Ross61

Flash is stalled with no director. Shazam is stalled. Man of Steel 2 remains in the dark until they confirm a director.

So, on your list, Black Adam, in production at another studio, is the sole film with real movement on it.

To state it without being vague, WB is clearly doubling down on what they feel is the strongest part of their DC properties: Batman and his adjacent universe.
Wait how is Shazam stalled? It has both a writer and a director in talks.

Wait, they're doing the Black Adam movie before the Shazam movie?

Yes, considering the Rock has always been their anchor for the film.

The move stems from last week's high-level meeting with Johnson and DC Films co-head and comics author Geoff Johns, after which the actor took to social media to promise ”hope, optimism & fun."

But on a deeper level, the meeting led to a reconfiguring of the Shazam! movie. Johnson has been attached to play Black Adam since around 2008. Since that time, he has become arguably the biggest male actor on the planet. To execs, it made no sense to have a man of Johnson's stature be just a villain and a supporting character in an expensive tentpole. Thus a decision was made to spin off Black Adam into his own film.

Go where the money takes you. Shazam is still in script stage again, but they want to move forward with Black Adam.

Wait how is Shazam stalled? It has both a writer and a director in talks.

It's in the script stage with no director. The film has been in pre-production since 2008. What would you call it?

Oh wow, I had no idea the Shazam-Black Adam stuff was in the works for this long. Makes sense to move forward if you've already got Black Adam cast with one of most charismatic actors working today. I imagine Dwayne's screen presence alone could help carry a lot of deficient writing.

Ross61

Yes, considering the Rock has always been their anchor for the film.

Go where the money takes you. Shazam is still in script stage again, but they want to move forward with Black Adam.

It's in the script stage with no director. The film has been in pre-production since 2008. What would you call it?
It's been slated for 2019. With a director in talks and a script there's still ample time. And let's not act like a site like Variety would run the story without WB being fully confident the deal is done. It's got more being done for it than Black Adam at this stage.

Anung

Un Rama
79ac4e7079628dc808079aa076da65d9.gif

This my Batgirl right here!

Ross61

I'll give you that. That said, I expect Black Adam before Shazam. You have the world's highest paid actor attached to star? New Line is going to make that headlining film happen.
True, but I also don't want them to rush it out and get a director like Brad Peyton :(

I'm aware that most of these films are on pause right now but basically, what I'd like, is an official list from WB of the films that they are actually moving forward with and their planned year of release. That would clarify their vision greatly and would give their bewildered fans a sense of the big picture.

And that picture is a big bat symbol with a dollar sign next to it, we all now that, but hey, it's becoming difficult to follow all these projects and I like to keep things tidy in the nerdy part of my brain.

No interest in the character or director, but it kind of debunks the often rumored non compete agreement for Marvel directors.

I'm aware that most of these films are on pause right now but basically, what I'd like, is an official list from WB of the films that they are actually moving forward with right now and their planned year of release. That would clarify their vision greatly and would give their bewildered fans a sense of the big picture.

And that picture is a big bat symbol with a dollar sign next to it, we all now that, but hey, it's becoming difficult to follow all these projects and I like to keep things tidy in the nerdy part of my brain.

Hopefully wondercon or sdcc will give us a better picture. For now I'm guessing anything with Batman in it or Batfam has a much higher chance of happening :|.

I'm aware that most of these films are on pause right now but basically, what I'd like, is an official list from WB of the films that they are actually moving forward with right now and their planned year of release. That would clarify their vision greatly and would give their bewildered fans a sense of the big picture.

Yeah, they do need to clean things up. I though they'd firm things up with their CinemaCon presentation, but no dice.

Fingers crossed for SDCC perhaps.

black_13

Banned
I hope Whedon takes over Snyder for dcu. If it wasn't for Whedons Avengers movies, MCU might not have been as successful. Dude knows how to make a movie when left alone

people fuck with Whedon cape stuff after Ultron? and that awful Bruce-Natasha shit? and generic 3rd act CGI gore?

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA. Marvel took a massive L for his trash film, now DC will do the same. Good luck DC brehs.

It's gonna be the other way around too no doubt. A bunch of whedon/avengers fans all of a sudden shitting on this because of the logo in the opening.

I'm of two minds about this. Fucking awesome that DC is going forward with batgirl. They seem to be leading the charge with women comic characters in a big way on film right now.

But Joss Whedon...scust. I guess he's a good fit for this after Buffy but maaaan I hope he's reined in a bit.
That already happened with some people after the Age of Ultron honeymoon phase. LOL.

people fuck with Whedon cape stuff after Ultron? and that awful Bruce-Natasha shit? and generic 3rd act CGI gore?

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA. Marvel took a massive L for his trash film, now DC will do the same. Good luck DC brehs.

I think part of the issue there was in juggling too much and a bit of strong arming from Marvel, given Age of Ultron had to flow into their other films.

Batgirl will be a single character, supporting cast, and maybe tie to Batman or Nightwing at most.

I'm all for shitting on AoU, but Batgirl is a property that plays to Whedon's strengths, methinks, so I'm cautiously optimistic that he can make it work.

So Age of Ultron means his other good films/tv shows in his resume should be invalidated and ignored? Never mind that Whedon brought in $3Bil for Marvel but I guess he's taking an L for whatever arbitrary reason.

If anything, Whedons Batgirl will have more heart, soul and story than the entirety of Snyder's work.

WB is moving quickly on these films: The Batman, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens, Batgirl, Suicide Squad 2, and Green Lantern.

Guess they have a strong focus.

Makes one ponder further on that El Maybe hail mary JL rumor that
in lieu of a Green Lantern teaser at the end of JL, its at the beginning with Abin Sur helping repel the first Earth invasion

First reaction:

This has been a long time coming, and they picked a great director.

Second reaction:

4chan and the rest of the internet's sewers are going to turn this into a shitshow if Wonder Woman doesn't turn out well or if anything near feminism comes off in the trailers for Batgirl.

This may actually have a chance to be good. The big question here is if he'll be forced into the visual style and tone of DC's other movies, or if he gets a chance to build it up from scratch.

Better done maybe, worse movie event.

That's probably a better way to put it

A1's got the crazy novelty behind it and keeps the tone better I think

A2's long take is better
Characters get more depth (Cap doesn't get totally hosed this time)
Action in general is better

Whedon might finally get DC an actual win. (and Ultron is much better than BvS)

timedesk

Neo Member
I fully expect a boring Barbara Gordon film. But in my heart I dream of an awesome Oracle and Cass movie. Barbara basically acting like old Bruce from Batman Beyond, mentoring a young Cassandra Cain. I think that would be right in Joss' wheelhouse.

Bizazedo

Struggling to think of a well-done villain in a Joss Whedon movie. Loki, kind of, but not really?

My kneejerk thought was with Whedon, we'll get a good movie with a crappy villain.

WB would kill to have an AoU-level film right now.

Age of Ultron is the partner film that you can point to when folks argue that BvS making money means it was a good film. BVS has significant issues, but Age of Ultron was aggressively boring.

Films with serious issues make money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom