• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early reaction I'm seeing seems to be along the lines of

"Sure, Whedon's a good pick...

...pretty sure there are a whole buncha women directors who would be good on a BATGIRL movie too, tho"

Feels like with Gotham City Sirens, Nightwing and now Batgirl, WB is trying to prepare a Batman cinematic universe. Also im 50% sure this is because after Justice League (possible solo Batman film) Ben Affleck is getting the fuck out as quick as his can.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Because clearly this needs to be the most misogynist Batgirl story ever.

dont worry, they wont

batgirl is going to be huge for young women, whedon wont have her assaulted in act 3

its actually creepy that ppl want that

Don't tell me you wouldn't love Leto Joker saying "HONKA HONKA" while he strips a paralyzed and bleeding Batgirl.

god they better not have leto anywhere near this movie

his performance in SS was unwatchable

Ahasverus

Batgirl also sucks as the title of a movie. I'm never ever saying "please a ticket for BATGIRL". I already felt weird last night when I purchased some to watch the Power Rangers.

A-V-B

...pretty sure there are a whole buncha women directors who would be good on a BATGIRL movie too, tho"

If they finalize this with Joss and he's writing and directing... I don't think folks are going to have much to worry about unless Joss loses his mind.

Sounds good to me. I'll watch it. I want to see something similar to the Year One storyline. I'd probably stay away from the Robin stuff in that book, and I'd go with more street level crime fighting before she's taken in by Batman.

Killer Moth is the villain that book, but he's kind of too hokey. I'd probably go with someone like Firefly.

The movie also needs Black Canary.

kswiston

Warner is way more director friendly than Disney is tbh

They ran BvS and Squad through the ringer because they needed to get em to the finish line

I'm not sure about Suicide Squad, but Snyder seemed to get forever for Man of Steel and BvS. Justice League is the film that feels rushed.

joker-notsureifserious.gif~c200

It's because I'm a pervert, you see.

Batgirl also sucks as the title of a movie. I'm never ever saying "please a ticket for BATGIRL". I already felt weird last night when I purchased some to watch the Power Rangers.

What reason, beyond casual sexism, makes "Batgirl" so much worse for you to handle than "Batman"?

Kinyou

Wonder if this might tie-in with Gotham City Sirens. If that were the case they I'd expect a more grown up Barbara.

El Topo

I don't disagree, but (given history) I'll think of it like this: Better a female superhero movie with Whedon than no female superhero movie.

Edit:
Also kswiston below, as expected, with a much more reasonable answer than mine.

Prompto

Banned
WB is nowhere near Marvel's level of controlling, for better or for worse. In this case? This is such a good fit.
Yeah I doubt Whedon would sign up for this if he wasn't guaranteed a large amount of control after his experience with Age of Ultron. Which is probably why he's also producing Batgirl.

And here's hoping Leto Joker isn't involved in this at all.

kswiston

Give a female director/writer one of the male solos. Maybe we'll get a good supporting cast (and fleshed out love interest) out of the deal. I don't know why female directors have to be limited to taking on the female characters.

A-V-B

Oh god we're probably eventually going to get a Zach Snyder/Jared Leto Killing Joke, aren't we?

If this indicates a direction shift, we may see a Killing Joke-type story as a sequel to a successful Joss Whedon Batgirl film, also written and directed by Joss, starring Batgirl. Basically the right way to do the first half of the cartoon attempt. Total guesswork on my part, but that's how I would present and handle it.

Ahasverus

i think after Ultron, Whedon would say give me 100% control or im out

almost as though hes EP on this whole universe 🤔🤔🤔
Cause he is putting his money to make the movies exist in the first place. Plus, there's no way he's directing all films in the DCEU, directors are allowed to leave their imprint.

A-V-B

Well.. it's bat girl., not bat woman, but girl, I.. dunno, might be entrenched sexism, hope it isn't. I wouldn't sing up comfortably for batboy either,

I wouldn't be afraid of calling it Batgirl for a second. It's exactly what it is, everyone knows it's tied to Batman, and if word of mouth is good then you won't have to worry about demographics. Shit, just the initial demographic territory is enough to sell a film like that. It's not just going to be young girls going to Batgirl. The hype will be through the roof if all goes well.

A-V-B

Oy, forgot about SS's mess.

Still, I can't imagine Whefon signing up unless he's guaranteed total control.

Exactly. Get the feeling he was drained by the stress of fighting for control with Marvel. DC has to approach this as "it's your show, just make it good."

Oy, forgot about SS's mess.

Still, I can't imagine Whefon signing up unless he's guaranteed total control.

I mean, I hope they leave the man be, but the whole "Director's Studio" myth needs to go away until they stop gutting/over editing these movies..just saying.

Didn't Warner Bros hire a trailer company to produce the final cut of Suicide Squad? Marvel might be controlling but at least there's a vision behind their interference.

/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom