• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joytech 8-inch LCD Monitor for PStwo

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail/PS2651ap0zhmkr3xk1b/#

Looks like for UK residents only for now with a ETA of 04/29/05

"This Monitor will be the flagship of the JOYTECH range for this year and so far those that have seen it are very impressed. There is no other product comparible to this on the high street and will take the new slimline PSTwo to a whole new dimension in terms of portability."

Features

High definition digital 8.0 inch LCD colour screen provides excellent picture quality and true RGB colour definition.

Wide 160-degree viewing angle provides a clear picture in any seated position.

Integral stereo speakers with stereo SRS surround sound.

Multi AV input adaptor allows connection to the monitor.

2 stereo headphone outputs for private multiplayer gaming.

Multi digital OSD menu allows you to adjust your monitor settings to match your input signal and surroundings.

In car adapter allows connection of PlayStation 2 and screen to any standard 12Volt car lighter.

Dual function remote control for PlayStation 2 and 8 inch monitor.

Price of £109.99

joytech_8inch_digital_lcd_monitor_s1_ps2.jpg

joytech_8inch_digital_lcd_monitor_s2_ps2.jpg

joytech_8inch_digital_lcd_monitor_s3_ps2.jpg

joytech_8inch_digital_lcd_monitor_s4_ps2.jpg

PSP Killer.

I like how it's listed as "high definition" but it's clearly a 4:3 screen. Should have just went all the way and made it 16:9.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Damn I didn't catch this thread! Defensor that looks hot! Have any of bought one yet? What are the resolutions?

Lyte Edge how does the Pelican Game Glass compare to this?

I really REALLY wanna know if there's a screen like this for the GameCube?

PanopticBlue said:
I like how it's listed as "high definition" but it's clearly a 4:3 screen. Should have just went all the way and made it 16:9.
It couldn't possibly get much wider. So making it 16:9 would just... decrease the vertical size.

Ristamar

Speaking of PSTwo accessories, I wish Logitech would redesign their receivers for their Action Cordless controllers. I'd like to own one or two, but the console won't sit flush with a receiver in the port.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Pelican screen is actually pretty good. Not Sony PSOne screen quality, but good nonetheless. I do find it rather annoying that the hole for a video cable to go into the PS2 is too small for anything to fit into other than the original PSX/PS2 AV cable, but I don't see why you couldn't shave down the edges for them to fit.

I'm still curious to see how this new screen compares.

And yes, the Game Glass does let you use 16:9 aspect ratio, which looks very nice. The screen is clearly designed for widescreen, so I stretch the image regardless if 16:9 is on or not.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
gear.ign review of Pelican's GameGlass: http://gear.ign.com/articles/595/595956p1.html

pelican-gameglass-20050314054202636.jpg

Build Quality
Fairly sturdy. Should travel very well, though I won't intentionally beat on it.

Ease of Use
Screw-and-play.

Value
Fairly standard price here for a portable LCD screen.

Video Quality
Overall image quality is good, though some smaller text is unreadable. This is a problem with almost any portable screen, so it's nothing new.

Features
Easy-access ports to the online ports and optical-out are quite nice. Dual-headphone jacks is also quite convenient.

Overall Rating (Not an average)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thx Defensor. Any reviews for the Joytech 8-inch screen?

isamu

Am I the only one picking up the Joytech on day 1?

Is this and the Pelican the only two PSTWO screens available?

isamu

Defensor said:
ETA now 05/27/2005.

HOLY FUCK YOU'RE KIDDING!!!!!!!! NOOOO!!!! I don't wanna wait that long!!!!!! Where did you read this? Source?

Lyte Edge

isamu said:
HOLY FUCK YOU'RE KIDDING!!!!!!!! NOOOO!!!! I don't wanna wait that long!!!!!! Where did you read this? Source?

GAME GLASS CALLS TO YOU.

Ryck

Damn ....... I wish sony would release one like they did for the psone, the existance of the Psp pretty much makes that impossible :(

Lyte Edge

Ryck said:
Damn ....... I wish sony would release one like they did for the psone, the existance of the Psp pretty much makes that impossible :(

Yeah, that's why I bought the Game Glass instead of waiting for a Sony screen to be released. I still want to know about the Joytech screen, but if I'm thinking of the same company, they've put out some really shitty products in the past.

The slim PS2 does have two small holes that are crealy intended for a screen to be plugged into on the back (which is how the Game Glass attaches to the unit), just like with the PSone, so I'm sure Sony had the idea for a screen in mind, and held off because of the PSP. Perhaps we'll see something at E3; who knows?

Yusaku

PanopticBlue said:

There are plenty of 4:3 HDTVs, and there's really not enough 16:9 PS2 games to warrant it.

Ryck

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, that's why I bought the Game Glass instead of waiting for a Sony screen to be released. I still want to know about the Joytech screen, but if I'm thinking of the same company, they've put out some really shitty products in the past.

The slim PS2 does have two small holes that are crealy intended for a screen to be plugged into on the back (which is how the Game Glass attaches to the unit), just like with the PSone, so I'm sure Sony had the idea for a screen in mind, and held off because of the PSP. Perhaps we'll see something at E3; who knows?

How is it? Im honestly thinking about buying it (Gameglass) Have you ever used the Psone screen? If so how does it compare? Im mostly getting it for sports games.

isamu

Lyte Edge said:
GAME GLASS CALLS TO YOU.

j00 might be right LE. I think I may just have to spring for one. My laptop is taking forever to get here and they haven't even cashed my check yet so I dunno whats going on :(

Right after I complete Fire Emblem GBA, I think I will either get a PSP or a PSTwo with the GameGlass.

isamu

Hi Defensor, can I ask where you read the Joytech screen in delayed til late May?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Opps, I was looking at the wrong site isamu. At the time I posted this thread back in Feb, both sites:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore..._screen_+_in_car_adaptor_for_new_slimline_ps2

had the same listing for 2005-04-29. Now, gameplay has the new date of 27 May 2005. I forgot that I posted the price originally from gameseek. So, it could be delayed if gameplay changed their date when it was for 4/29/05 release. Could..

EDIT: Joytech's official site lists it for 4/29 still:
http://www.joytech.net/product_info...id=95&osCsid=e5bb2aa7e72cfb25c6840e8bae05a7bc

PS2_8inch_tft.jpg

PS2_8inch_tft_3.jpg

Didn't know it came with a remote.

isamu

Defensor said:
Opps, I was looking at the wrong site isamu. At the time I posted this thread back in Feb, both sites:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore..._screen_+_in_car_adaptor_for_new_slimline_ps2

had the same listing for 2005-04-29. Now, gameplay has the new date of 27 May 2005. I forgot that I posted the price originally from gameseek. So, it could be delayed if gameplay changed their date when it was for 4/29/05 release. Could..

EDIT: Joytech's official site lists it for 4/29 still:
http://www.joytech.net/product_info...id=95&osCsid=e5bb2aa7e72cfb25c6840e8bae05a7bc

PS2_8inch_tft.jpg

PS2_8inch_tft_3.jpg

Didn't know it came with a remote.

LOL holy shit am I ever glad it was a mistake. That would've seriously bummed me out. I know the game glass seems like a good buy, but the Joytech one is 8 inches as opposed to Pelican's 7. Plus it seems the resolution will be higher a well. April 29 can't fucking come soon enough.

I do wish someone would make a 12 or 13 inch lcd screen for PSTwo. That would absolutely rawq! :D

isamu

Ryck said:
So is it uk only ?

yeah, we're gonna hafta import.

The first 35 screens made will have a limited edition picture of Morrissey engraved on the back of the screen

Ryck

isamu said:
yeah, we're gonna hafta import.

The first 35 screens made will have a limited edition picture of Morrissey engraved on the back of the screen
Is it a current picture of Morrissey( I wouldn't mind or anything) or is it Moz circa 1993 ?, also be sure to let me know how it works and where to import it ;).

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
IGN has their review up of the screen: http://gear.ign.com/articles/631/631696p1.html

Conclusion
Joytech's 8" Digital LCD Monitor is a fantastic portable screen for the PStwo. It features a great-looking 640x480 screen that's a healthy 8" in size. Fine text is much easier to read on this screen than any other we've tested, and those noticeable details carry throughout the entire image. When you count the built-in SRS, dual headphone jacks, IR port and remote control as well as its on-screen controls, well, you have a hell of a product.

The bottom line is that if you're in the market for a portable PStwo screen, this is the one to get.

Value
It's pricier than competitive screens, but offers 10X as many features and a much, much nicer screen.

Audio Quality
The SRS Surround Sound is great, though the bass is lacking quite a bit.

Video Quality
Great video quality for a portable gaming screen. There are still pixelation problems, but it's much sharper than competing screens.

Features
SRS Surround Sound, dual headphone jacks, remote control, on-screen display... The list goes on and on.

Overall Rating (Not an average)

Jonnyram

Does it support NTSC and will it work on a US or JP PStwo?

Edit: I read the article and it's coming stateside anyway... cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
doesn't have inputs for other video sources? Thats a shame.

So does the remote control the DVD player on PStwo as well?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
mrklaw said:
doesn't have inputs for other video sources? Thats a shame.

So does the remote control the DVD player on PStwo as well?
I think the included remote controls the DVD player as well going by this pic:
joytech-8-digital-lcd-monitor-for-pstwo-20050706054540670.jpg

Joytech has an optional external TV tuner(dunno the price) with built in AV inputs for other video sources to be released soon in the UK. You can see the connector for it on the back:

joytech-8-digital-lcd-monitor-for-pstwo-20050706054539201.jpg

isamu

Still waiting on mine :(

Top Bottom