• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPN PS5 changes the confirm button from Circle to X

ManaByte

Ever since the PSX JPN PlayStation games would use the Circle button as confirm. On Western systems it was always X. So you just grew to adjust to Circle when playing a game from Japan.

Sony changed this on the PS5. It's now uniform with the West in using X as confirm after 25 years of being different.

Moonjt9

Man I live in Korea and I’m so used to O being confirm and X being cancel. I am assuming it is a universal change, will definitely take some time to get used to. I can see why people would be upset, but it won’t be a big deal in the end I think.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ever since the PSX JPN PlayStation games would use the Circle button as confirm. On Western systems it was always X. So you just grew to adjust to Circle when playing a game from Japan.

Sony changed this on the PS5. It's now uniform with the West in using X as confirm after 25 years of being different.

Nintendo never changed their Japanese button setup for games they released in the west. It was pretty annoying when I bought my first Nintendo games after being a PS gamer for so long.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
With console gaming on the decline in Japan, no wonder they sided with the West on this one.

Md Ray

I live in India and for me, on PSX, the Circle button was confirm and X was cancel. Since PS2 it was the other way around and took me a while to get used to X as confirm button lol. I feel bad for them.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Those 9 millions PS4s you managed to get out of Japan just dropped to 5 million for PS5. Thanks Jim.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I mapped Cemu's input to an Xbox controller last night and I set it the A, B, X and Y to the Xbox buttons not thinking it was supposed to be the Nintendo layout. Then in BotW I was like, "wow I don't remember the controls being this awkward! Why the hell is attack set to Y!"

:messenger_tears_of_joy: What a nobber I am.

In SM3DW it just makes sense to do it that way because the controls are duplicated across the four face buttons AND then confirm and back matches PS/XB conventions. Always takes me 30 mins or so to get back into pressing Circle/B for confirm after a break.

xion4360

Better be able to change that for them. Its just as annoying when I try to play a Japanese game and have to adjust to circle being confirm.

Reactions: Isa

FeiRR

Banned
So much drama, so little sense.

RVwL1J4.png

JonnyMP3

I'm getting some OG FF7 annoyance flashback here with the X&O change. It's just one of those annoyances that stopped me from being interested in the Japanese scene... Or I'm just an old school Nintendo Snes/Megadrive fanboy.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Damn this is anoying...

Im so used to O as confirmation button...

Everytime i played Ace Combat its already automatic for me to press O to fire missile as i scream "Fox One ! Fox Two!"

Or in FIFA....O....is for shooting....

how am i suppsed to shoot with X man..damn...

Zenaku

What do you mean by 'everything'?
Games can specify actions for 'O', 'X', 'Confirm' and 'Cancel' separately. While confirm & cancel are swapped between regions, actions set specifically to X or O can remain consistent. Swapping the buttons with a custom layout will swap all actions alongside confirm & cancel.

Hopefully there'll be a dedicated setting to swap them, and Sony have just changed the default.

We’re all at the mercy of San Mateo HQ diktat now. Suits in Tokyo basically said, here‘s Playstation for you Americans, do what you think is best with it. We’ll gladly reap the profits.

Also, we need “shot themselves in the foot“ meme.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
Games can specify actions for 'O', 'X', 'Confirm' and 'Cancel' separately. While confirm & cancel are swapped between regions, actions set specifically to X or O can remain consistent. Swapping the buttons with a custom layout will swap all actions alongside confirm & cancel.

Hopefully there'll be a dedicated setting to swap them, and Sony have just changed the default.
You mean that X is still jump but doesn't double as confirm? Last time I played with that layout was probably FFVII on PSX so I'm not familiar with that. I always have problems with Switch and Xbox controllers though because they're different so I can understand why people would complain. Also easy to change for devs in games.

I noticed O as respawn confirmation in Godfall, maybe it depends on devs then?

I remember this from playing Winning Eleven. Would probably be a better thing to make it an option at the system level. Don't know if PS4 allows for that now but I know Xbox One does allow to swap button functions so you could have A do what B normally does and B do what A does. That would change it in game as well.

Yep button remapping is a must in 2020. Billions of people with Billions of ways to push buttons. Took Nintendo way to long to implement but nintendo has button remapping, can you believe it.

Yet Japanese influencers get their hands on PS5 first
They need the Japanese audience to be excited because Japan doesn’t give a shit about anything but the Switch at this point.

The excitement in the States is here, and they have and probably always will have Europe so they don’t need to build hype as much.

Batiman

Banned
I remember when triangle was cancel or back. They changed that to circle over the years. Maybe because the 360?

Top Bottom