• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPN PS5 changes the confirm button from Circle to X

Barakov

Ever since the PSX JPN PlayStation games would use the Circle button as confirm. On Western systems it was always X. So you just grew to adjust to Circle when playing a game from Japan.

Sony changed this on the PS5. It's now uniform with the West in using X as confirm after 25 years of being different.

SroS4ut.jpg

Lethal01

It's too stupid to even talk about it as a problem, as this only affects the Japanese market. Then it's too stupid to compare enter key to alt F4 while we're speaking of O and X. There are games that use triangle as action button, some use square, some use X, some O. Every game we adapt, let's stop this concern circus.

A concern indicated that we are worried that something might be a problem.
This isn't a concern because we know it's a problem, it just happens to not affect you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A concern indicated that we are worried that something might be a problem.
This isn't a concern because we know it's a problem, it just happens to not affect you.

If such a tiny thing is a problem, then you're probably living a perfect life, dear brother. Anyway, I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

Lethal01

If such a tiny thing is a problem, then you're probably living a perfect life, dear brother. Anyway, I'll leave it there.

The issue is that there is no reason it even needs to be a tiny problem, they are making a problem where there doesn't need to be any.

having cancer doesn't make dropping your sphaghetti stop being annoying.
Kid's starving in korea doesn't make having nothing in the fridge a non issue.
But I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

PlayStation is basically an American company nowadays so I wasn’t too surprised, got that cali influence too, not sure if that will be good or bad yet.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PlayStation is basically an American company nowadays so I wasn’t too surprised, got that cali influence too, not sure if that will be good or bad yet.

Cali is influencing the majority of the consumed entertainment around the globe now.

the_master

I wish they had done the opposite. I would not mind adapting.
They made circle as the ok button and cross as the "no" button. We could accept that. We could have even accepted that from the beginning

GreatnessRD

It'll be an adjustment for sure, but this is like when the American consoles went from Triangle to circle as the 'back/previous' button.

sackings

you should be able to remap every single button imho. The prompts in game can just pull directly from the OS setting.

ranmafan

It’s an annoying change for the Japanese market and will cause confusion for many for sure. I’m certainly not for it, however there is one good thing about this. Some western games have had trouble working on Japanese systems due to the button confirm differences in the past. So much so that you could get stuck and unable to continue playing a game cause of it. Most recently Shenmue 1+2 had a qte that was broken cause of it making it virtually impossible to pass a certain story mission in the game. While it was eventually patched not too long before the Japanese release it was still an annoying thing for gamers like myself who import games to Japan.

wish they would keep it the same as always but if it means less issues in the future I can live with it.

NanaMiku

Already got used to it. I played Yakuza 3 remaster, they used X for confirm and O for cancel. Then I played Yakuza 4 remaster, they used O for confirm and X for cancel.

Lmao living in South East Asia currently, and having lived and moved to NA, NZ, and HK - I've had to adjust many times.

It is an an annoyance, but hardly hard to adjust.

I'd say this is only just a real annoyance for those in Japan since its culturally related - to which I agree, wtf Sony.

Anyone outside is just making huffy noises as you'll just adjust in no time.

Some cmt from Japanese gamer.

zDesQHb.png

zDesQHb.png

fz3ueoy.png

Yeah Japanese doesnt give a fk, only stupid Gaijin does

There it is.

The responses on page 1 really made me believe ResetEra has invaded this forum and now we're overrun by screaming headless chicken.

Concern trolls everywhere.

Shesus, wake me up when November ends.

Bolivar687

Banned
I always thought there was some story about it being accidentally flipped in the western devkit manuals. I tried Googling but couldn't find.

Anyway, Circle confirm always made more sense, both in terms of the shapes and the location of the A button on the SNES controller. Should've been kept that way.

Circle (maru) and x (batsu) are a thing there, being the equivalent of checkmark and x or correct vs wrong. It's the sort of thing you see IRL when teachers are grading tests etc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony shouldn't have changed it in the first place 20 years ago. It was already in sync with the Nintendo button layout.

Still, it's not a problem at all, I mean most of us here are healthy and we're not disabled or have any other unfortunate difficulty to move our thumbs just 3-4cm to the other button. Too much drama, honestly.

Last edited:
Unless Nintendo folds or takes over, these actions are meaningless. That is really the only controller that I have to think hard about pressing buttons.

Visually on the SNES It was presented as the right button, same as NES. Once that language went away, the bottom but has to be the primary one. All other buttons are its bitches, and the bottom button is home plate.

No other button can work in this way. The auxiliary buttons do not fan out to the left, nor are they under the Y or triangle as some secret cache of extra abilities. In summation, Sony is refusing to continue a mistake (I would support switching the symbols at the same time...), and Nintendo are fuckers.

Moonjt9

I just got a ps5 and moving from O to X as confirm is definitely taking time to get used to. I keep canceling things! It’s hard to untrain yourself after years of doing things a certain way.

Why did they ever change it for the West? It started off the other way here, which is also how Nintendo is.
Yeah that's honestly a good question. I remember controls in PS1 games being a bit of a free-for-all, with even different installments in the same series constantly shuffling what the face buttons did. Seems like Sony wasn't that interested in enforcing a standard at the time, so American devs may have just drifted towards positioning the action button as the bottom button rather than it having anything to do with O vs X specifically

Top Bottom