• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judgment actor Pierre Taki will be completely scrubbed from game’s western release

JimiNutz

Banned
SEGA cares.......

Again....its their brand ,they don't want anything to do with supporting folks who abuse drugs. Their brand image isn't a waste of money to them and I agree with this move.

Maybe they should focus on honouring their past IP and not running them into the dirt then?
I like SEGA but if they cared about Sonic half as much as they cared about cocaine then they'd probably be in a better place right now.

Tumle

What a stupid course of action.

Let's just hope the guy who discovers the cure for cancer doesn't touch any boys genitals because we can't use his work then.
No he will be Just fine as long as he doesn’t take any drugs harder than alcohol..
what the hell japan?...

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Its their IP, its their call.

If they want their image to be honest and not supporting of such a concept, they are 100% free to do that. Those developers also get paid to do that work and are getting paid to do a different model. They are not slaves you know. I have no issue with SEGA looking to protect their brand. The game is still a day 1 for me.

I'm still buying the game day one, but it's doubtless that it's an overreaction, and it's as much due to societal quirks more as much as to Sega's suits being excessively observant of them in 2019.

We haven't seen much in terms of developer reactions because they tend to keep their head down in Japan, but the one we saw was not happy, and I agree with that sentiment.

Verdanth

Can't wait to see Taki's character with a brand new hairstyle.

Not only that but now I understand why Olaf was always losing his body parts in KH3.

Last edited:

Humdinger

This isn't the first time this has happened. Hell, it isn't even the first time this has happened in a (technically) Yakuza game. The actor who voiced and modeled for Tanimura in Yakuza 4 also got caught up in a drug scandal, and they replaced him with someone else in the remaster.

Is that right? Go figure. They sure do SHUN over there.

Ramzy

Question from a dumb Aussie, is this kind of overreaction common in Japan? Does this kind of weak ass virtue signalling work in your benefit over there?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think being tough on cocaine is probably a good thing, to discourage use.
Though erasing his previous work is very harsh, it seems like a zero tolerance policy, which I think is excessive for personal cocaine use.

No need to erase him from the western release, just release the game with him in it and write out his character so he is not in future games.

Kadayi

Banned
You have to admit, Olaf getting busted for snow is kind of hilarious.

giphy.gif

Question from a dumb Aussie, is this kind of overreaction common in Japan? Does this kind of weak ass virtue signalling work in your benefit over there?

Yes and it's not new. Its not just in entertainment either. I recently read a newspaper article about a 27 year old teacher losing his teaching license for touching the boobs of girl in her 20s in a club. She wasn't a student. I only started getting these "teacher loses his license" articles on my desk this year so I don't know if this is metoo related or its been an issue for a long time.

SEGA definitely drawn the white line on this one.

They scrubbed the poor actor off with a fine white powder tooth comb.

I guess SEGA sniffed smelt blood on this one.

The game has been white lined listed and will be back on on the shelves in no time.

They were not coking joking when they said they would erase this druggie actor.

Actors Winners don't do drugs after all!

Now....who will replace the VA? MyCocaine Michael Caine?

Kazza

Sega's Creative Director, Toshihiro Nagaoshi, has opened up about the whole situation for the first time:

“There is no correct way to deal with the situation. In the end, I also cast my vote for halting sales. Some thought and pointed out “This is going too far” and “It’s unrelated to the game itself,” and I don’t think those opinions are unreasonable either—I can see it from both sides. So when it comes to why I voted for halting sales, it’s because it was just after release. If it was an older game released a considerable amount of time ago, our priorities may have been different, but when it was something that had been released only several months prior, I think it’s a different conversation.”

“I’m bummed that it sold like there was a last-minute surge in demand. It reached number three on Amazon’s sales rankings. But I did kind of think, “Why didn’t you just buy from the start?” (Laughs.) Of course I’m glad in any case.”

In fact, it looks as thought the game actually reached no 1 and sold old almost all of its first print as a result of the controversy. Silver lining?

He also dismissed rumours that they already have a sequel and third game planned out.

My ps4 downloaded a large patch for the game today. I turned off auto download after and I started the game before it finished downloading. If I press "delete" in the notifications it won't stop the game from patching up next time I boot it right? Or does it delete the patch too?

I am not going to exit the game until I finish it. Should I load my game data to an external drive?

Top Bottom