• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

shaowebb

Rather surprised at just how good the Suzuki vs EVIL match was from G1. Lots of heat there. Suzuki is such a good villain character.

Above him I'd put prime Bret, Austin (best brawler of all time IMO), Daniel Bryan...I could say Owen but obviously he doesn't have as many high profile matches.

EDIT: Eddie and Angle over Shawn as well.

I feel like you could easily name 10 people who were better in-ring performers

Syder

If we're talking about a complete package, as opposed to just in-ring working, Shawn is pretty high up on any list. Shawn wasn't the de facto face of the company just because the business wasn't doing well.

Draxal

Any bad dudes in New Japan? I only remember Shibata having an affair but that's about it.

I don't know how I'd feel if Tana or Naito were garbage people ��

TBH, its a Japanese wrestler in the states but Tozawa might have been embroiled in an animal abuse scandal back when he was with Dragon's Gate.

The abuse happened, but I'm not sure if he was involved, but its hard for me to root for him.

I feel like you could easily name 10 people who were better in-ring performers

I'm not sure you can, you have to compare wrestlers in their era imho.

Zach

If we're talking about a complete package, as opposed to just in-ring working, Shawn is pretty high up on any list. Shawn wasn't the de facto face of the company just because the business wasn't doing well.

If we're talking complete package (Filth.) Shawn is even lower. One of the worst promos of all tiiime.

Mahonay

Banned
He had trash promos and slurred his way through many of them. He was pushed to the moon on a constant basis since Vince has an immense crush on him.

Shawn does have that larger than life star presence, won't deny that. That's what made him a top guy. Being such an immense dick helped him. "Fuck you, I'm the best in the world" goes a long way in wrestling. It's something that some guys never find. Obviously a more recent example of someone making that work is CM Punk.

Heroman

Banned
Above him I'd put prime Bret, Austin (best brawler of all time IMO), Daniel Bryan...I could say Owen but obviously he doesn't have as many high profile matches.

EDIT: Eddie and Angle over Shawn as well.
Austin best brawler of all time? Naw.
The rest Shawn best match is better than most of those guys best match, the only people who are better are Benoit, aj , maybe danielson

Best what the fuck is going on promos of all time

Jumping Jeff

Genesis of McGillicutty

Taker and Big Show in the desert

Luger's I DON'T KNOOOWWW

Every Steiner promo

Good lucha thing

Mahonay

Banned

Jumping Jeff

Genesis of McGillicutty

Luger's I DON'T KNOOOWWW

Every Steiner promo

Good lucha thing
Scott Steiner's Math promo might legitimately favorite promo of all time. I would consider it performance art.

Draxal

I don't see how that makes sense. When you compare talent you never rank around their generation.

Somebody like Dynamite Kid would be much better in the modern era, where somebody like Kenny Omega would have not done as well in the 80s.

I look at wrestler pushing the envelope of whats currently acceptable at that time period, like Dynamite Kid. Also, if wrestlers there elevate the talent around them.

basically, the rip rogers - flip argument has existed since forever.

Mahonay

Banned
I know I'm almost always salty when it comes to Shawn, but the one thing that I really respect him for is sticking it right up Hogan's ass. That SummerSlam match...all those years of Hogan fucking people over...it was so deserved. He got so angry at Shawn, so good.

Hulk+Hogan+shoulder+block++to+HBK.gif

I'm not sure you can, you have to compare wrestlers in their era imho.

I agree with you. Some of the older AJPW, NOAH and NWA matches are my favorites of all time. When we look at insane shit like Omega vs Okada it is a much different and more explosive thing, but there is a time and context.

Kobashi vs Misawa, Terry Funk vs Ric Flair I quit match, Misawa vs Kawada are still 3 of the absolute best matches ever.

Lol. Someone tried to hit Meltzer with the counter argument that "if you take out international guys, Shawn is a top 10-15 draw". Then Meltzer responds that when you take out international guys, Shawn barely misses the top 40.

Bret Hart P4P one of the most justifiably bitter guys in wrestling history

FTFY

Bitter with every reason to be and rarely was he wrong.

Oh totally. But he definitely is bitter.

As for shitbags in NJPW there were rumors about Honma beating his partner. While she was begging for forgiveness. It was reported pretty widely but not much came of it.

I never heard how the Honma thing ended up resolving.

It didn't resolve, she never took her claims to the police and it got zero play outside of online news - Honma threatened to sue her for trying to ruin his career, which was the last I heard about it tbh.

Syder

Oh totally. But he definitely is bitter.
Bret Hart says everything so dead-pan and humorlessly that he comes off as just a bitter cynic but he's pretty much always right even about modern day wrestling. Some of his viewpoints are tainted by an allegiance to a certain brand of wrestling but he is, was and always will be a wrestling genius.

First Nintendo puts hard mode in Zelda behind dlc and now metroid needs you to beat the game and then use an Amiibo that you probably won't find? Carnies

Bret Hart says everything so dead-pan and humorlessly that he comes off as just a bitter cynic but he's pretty much always right even about modern day wrestling. Some of his viewpoints are tainted by an allegiance to a certain brand of wrestling but he is, was and always will be a wrestling genius.

He's got resting bitter voice.

I love how when Dave gets a question about Okada going to WWE, he doesn't immediately laugh it off and call it a dumb question. Even though he probably totally should.

Somebody like Dynamite Kid would be much better in the modern era, where somebody like Kenny Omega would have not done as well in the 80s.

I look at wrestler pushing the envelope of whats currently acceptable at that time period, like Dynamite Kid. Also, if wrestlers there elevate the talent around them.

basically, the rip rogers - flip argument has existed since forever.

I don't know what the rip rogers/flip argument is, but I still don't agree with this. Just because someone like Ospreay is doing 'flippy-shit' doesn't immediately rise him above a guy like Dynamite Kid. If you view the generation and what the wrestler was doing for that time then it's fair game. In the case of Shawn he was a very conservative wrestler. He took some high spots, but his in-ring work was still very safe.

Scott Steiner's Math promo might legitimately favorite promo of all time. I would consider it performance art.

It's a #1 for me. It's never something I'd show as a way of showing how the art of promo's died (Ric, Dusty, Austin) but it's absolutely a must watch for any wrestling fan.

Game companies will always edge into carny territory when they think/know they can get away with it.
Metroid amiibo DLC and PS plus price hike just cause from today alone.

Only reason MS isn't joining in is they can't afford to lose anymore good will right now, they're playing the long con friends, and probably cancelling more announced games.

Jumping Jeff

Genesis of McGillicutty

Luger's I DON'T KNOOOWWW

Every Steiner promo

Good lucha thing
That one nonsense promo from Titus perhaps?

Look at that flippy shit.

Jumping Jeff

Genesis of McGillicutty

Luger's I DON'T KNOOOWWW

Every Steiner promo

Good lucha thing

McGillicutty was the most confused I've ever been watching wrestling

And I've watched a lot of TNA, including Reverse Battle Royal

Top Bottom