• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUNE! Comics OT Before Four Dollar Books and Toasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that and Kyle's gf fate was awesome. This is like in Black Spider-Man we find out he is Black/maybe Hispanic too and his Uncle is a criminal. They got a black super hero and someone related to him is a criminal and another brah has bullet proof skin? This is a non issue. Come on brah.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Miles' uncle is a criminal? Why didn't they just make him black Uncle Ben - the issue writes itself.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Miles' uncle is a criminal? Why didn't they just make him black Uncle Ben - the issue writes itself.

i think they are trying to separate him from pete as much as possible. although a living uncle ben constantly dispensing advice or being cool with his new identity would be cool too.

ElNarez

Banned
I've got this fucking kickass idea for a Before Watchmen OT. So if there's a need for that, I'm calling it right now. Is there a need for that?

Bull

I just finished reading The Dark Knight Returns for the first time. I grabbed it during the Joker comics sale on April 1 (not that it featured a lot of the joker). It's a bit more dense than anything else I've read but I liked it a lot.

If it's ever on sale, I plan on grabbing the Batman Year One issues. Was All Star Batman and Robin any good? I remember it being delayed and delayed and I assume it was never finished. Does it end on a cliffhanger?

ElNarez

Banned
tarot09.jpg

GUYS COMIC BOOKS ARE AMAZING.

I just finished reading The Dark Knight Returns for the first time. I grabbed it during the Joker comics sale on April 1 (not that it featured a lot of the joker). It's a bit more dense than anything else I've read but I liked it a lot.

If it's ever on sale, I plan on grabbing the Batman Year One issues. Was All Star Batman and Robin any good? I remember it being delayed and delayed and I assume it was never finished. Does it end on a cliffhanger?

All star batman and robin was notoriously bad

Owzers

i get my dcbs order tmw....yet i have barely read last month's shipment. I don't like trades because i like my comics to lay flat, but i don't like reading issues monthly because most comics don't read well that way. Only solution: Hoard single issues then binge.

I like going to the comic shop every week. It makes me feel like a kid again, especially since it's the same shop I went to as a kid (it's moved since then but same owner and shelves).

TMNT is finally digital on ComiXology. It's worth checking out.

"IDW Publishing and Nickelodeon Launch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Comics App Exclusively on iOS"

Link

jon bones

Working through some older series' I've been meaning to read:

Northlanders (#1-8) - Really compelling stuff. Beautiful artwork and a great self-contained story. Just what I'm in the mood for.

Fear Agent (#1-16) - Reminds me of the old sci fi stuff I used to find when I was a kid. Started out as a very fun series but it got a little dark there towards the end of my run. Despite all that, it still feels very cohesive.

Preacher (#1-31) - As much as I love some of the 80s greats (Transmetropolitan being one of my favorites, and Sandman as an obvious choice) - I don't dig this one as much. Can't put my finger on it, but I guess I'm just not much of an Ennis man. Still going to finish up the series.

Owzers

i was thinking about using dcbs but I like my comics weekly. ill have to crunch the numbers tonight.

i don't live by a comic shop anymore and i like the money saving, but i miss getting comics the day they come out. Always being late to the party lacks appeal....but money!

DCBS updated today for the month's pre-ordering, both Glory and Prophet trades are not half off :( Peter Panzerfaust ( might buy) and Project Manhattans ( already buying singles) are half off from Image. That always happens to me, whatever my first choices are , no matter how random, they get left out. That said, Fear Agent OHC vol 1 IS half off :p

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Preacher (#1-31) - As much as I love some of the 80s greats (Transmetropolitan being one of my favorites, and Sandman as an obvious choice) - I don't dig this one as much. Can't put my finger on it, but I guess I'm just not much of an Ennis man. Still going to finish up the series.
Weird, I absolutely love Preacher, but I couldn't get through Transmetropolitan or The Sandman.

i don't live by a comic shop anymore and i like the money saving, but i miss getting comics the day they come out. Always being late to the party lacks appeal....but money!

DCBS updated today for the month's pre-ordering, both Glory and Prophet trades are not half off :( Peter Panzerfaust ( might buy) and Project Manhattans ( already buying singles) are half off from Image. That always happens to me, whatever my first choices are , no matter how random, they get left out. That said, Fear Agent OHC vol 1 IS half off :p

How many books do you get a month? And for next month would you have to complete your order by?

Owzers

How many books do you get a month?

:(

When i had a local shop and started buying comics 8 years ago: 20
When i started DCBS : ~20
A few years into DCBS: 30
When i stopped trade waiting most books and just bought monthly: 45
DCNu and more Image books: 55

55 Xo

You pretty much have to buy at least 15 books/month to make the discount+shipping wortwhile over a local shop + 15% or so discount. You can also choose to get books shipped twice a month or weekly, but it's an extra $6.75 per shipment. Right now dcbs just updated with pre-orders for August books/solicits, the deadline is typically the last or second to last Wednesday of the month, it will say on the Ordering column on the left of the page then Ordering due date if you need to know each month.

On a related note, i love dcbs for the most part. Their customer service has been good so far and they pack packages well.

:(

When i had a local shop and started buying comics 8 years ago: 20
When i started DCBS : ~20
A few years into DCBS: 30
When i stopped trade waiting most books and just bought monthly: 45
DCNu and more Image books: 55

55 Xo

You pretty much have to buy at least 15 books/month to make the discount+shipping wortwhile over a local shop + 15% or so discount. You can also choose to get books shipped twice a month or weekly, but it's an extra $6.75 per shipment. Right now dcbs just updated with pre-orders for August books/solicits, the deadline is typically the last or second to last Wednesday of the month, it will say on the Ordering column on the left of the page then Ordering due date if you need to know each month.

On a related note, i love dcbs for the most part. Their customer service has been good so far and they pack packages well.
What's your approximate monthly bill look like after everything? Rough range estimate? I'm going to suggest this service to a friend who just moved to a comic shopless town.

tm24

What's your approximate monthly bill look like after everything? Rough range estimate? I'm going to suggest this service to a friend who just moved to a comic shopless town.

Basically, whatever your current bill is but at 40-50% off and add 6-7 bucks for each shipment you want a month

Basically, whatever your current bill is but at 40-50% off and add 6-7 bucks for each shipment you want a month
Haha, ok thanks. I have no idea what my current bill is. I guess it's usually $15 a week, but as little as $3 and as much as $20. I try not to think about it. I'm just going to link the site to my friend and stop thinking about my own spending.

Hey guys, I've been keeping tabs on a Kickstarter project that had probably come up a few times before, 'Sullivan's Sluggers'. The concept and artwork are appealing but have the writer/artist done much work that has been well received prior to this Kickstarter project? I'm keen to commit, but a little weary about the whole Kickstarter idea. Excuse my ignorance, I'm still reasonably new to comics and don't have much knowledge as to creative teams and the like.

NawidA

Banned
Hey guys, I've been keeping tabs on a Kickstarter project that had probably come up a few times before, 'Sullivan's Sluggers'. The concept and artwork are appealing but have the writer/artist done much work that has been well received prior to this Kickstarter project? I'm keen to commit, but a little weary about the whole Kickstarter idea. Excuse my ignorance, I'm still reasonably new to comics and don't have much knowledge as to creative teams and the like.
Both of their prior works have been very good. Check out Gladstone's for the writer and Orc Stain for the artist. Great books.

Oh that reminds me, they emailed me an update today but I just looked at the pics quickly and didn't actually read what the email said.

Oh ok, it didn't really say anything. Some cool pics though.

qhFid.jpg

k0cla.jpg

Both of their prior works have been very good. Check out Gladstone's for the writer and Orc Stain for the artist. Great books.

Gladstone! Don't know how I missed that. I picked up a few issues of that series quite cheap recently. It was great fun. Not familiar with Orc Stain, but I have heard good things about that series as well. Thanks. That was very helpful. I think I'm going to commit for sure.

tm24

Yes, both people are names. Mark Andrew Smith, the writer has created Amazing Joy Buzzards, The New Brighton Archeological Society, his current series Gladstone's School For World Conquerors
The artist is James Stokoe, the brains behind the amazing Orc Stain. Check out his work here

Oh that reminds me, they emailed me an update today but I just looked at the pics quickly and didn't actually read what the email said.

Oh ok, it didn't really say anything. Some cool pics though.

Those look fantastic, especially the second one. Exciting stuff. Speaking of Kickstarter and comics, are there any other projects worth keeping an eye on at the moment?

jon bones

Gladstone! Don't know how I missed that. I picked up a few issues of that series quite cheap recently. It was great fun. Not familiar with Orc Stain, but I have heard good things about that series as well. Thanks. That was very helpful. I think I'm going to commit for sure.

never read gladstones but Orc Stain is the fuckin jam (see:my avatar)

already got my kickstarter money.... can't wait for it to drop

Owzers

for 55 books, around $120-130. That includes 10 or so 3.99 marvel books (2.39 after discount), and several books that are 50% off. It's impossible not to buy at least one trade a month though :p

kswiston

Well, I didn't see that ending coming in AvX, although I can definitely see how it paints one side as the definitive big bad

Spoilers:
It seems like only a handful of x-characters have the Phoenix force, so perhaps we will see some of the x-men teaming up with the Avengers to avoid it being as morally lopsided as Civil war was.

I am interested to see how Scarlet Witch plays into these new events. Also nice to see the pace pick up. I hope the momentum continues next issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom