• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUNE! Comics OT Before Four Dollar Books and Toasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Alright, thanks. It's frustrating how many they reprint like that, it just makes it more confusing. Especially when there is a small difference like 50 pages, I'm not sure if they're they same or not.

it's pretty weird, marvel likes premiere hardcovers, then trade paperbacks, then a combination of oversized hardcovers, omnibus collections, and paperback ultimate collections.

Which just jogged my memory that Astonishign X-Men is also getting two Ultimate paperback collections XP

it's pretty weird, marvel likes premiere hardcovers, then trade paperbacks, then a combination of oversized hardcovers, omnibus collections, and paperback ultimate collections.

Which just jogged my memory that Astonishign X-Men is also getting two Ultimate paperback collections XP

Ya, it just makes it confusing for a noob like me to look through see a bunch available and then most are the same thing in a different format.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mind MGMT #1 was fairly good, i don't think it QUITE hooked me but it was close, if the trade is reasonably priced i'm in. You guys should check it out.

I tried talking about it last month but was stonewalled.

I bought it, thought it was OK but didn't really grab me. However, the one thing I was thinking as I was reading it was "I can do this". Kindt's art is the kind of art that makes you realise that anyone could be drawing comics. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. Nowhere near as good as Jeff Lemire for instance. But these lumpy people? I could draw the shit outta that.

Dang brahs, I'm tempted to buy Spider Men. :(

Is it out this week? Missed that one, I'm looking forward to it. Pichelli is the nuts.

I liked the two stories in Creator Owned Heroes and like the idea of the magazine portion to give more bang for your buck, but tbh I read the comics part and put it away. I will read the rest later maybe.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm kind of upset with Spider-Men, Bendis once stated that if he ever had the two Spider-Men meet he was out of ideas. Also the Ultimate Universe has suffered irreparable damage that is Ultimatum.

No. Joe Q said that about 12 years ago, not Bendis. So an editor speaking hyperbole /= a writer thinking a decade down the line.

Don't be an idiot, if it's a good story it's a good story. If it sucks then by all means lambast it.

And yes, Ultimatum was a fucking godawful book, but that has absolutely nothing to do with USM in any way shape or form. In fact, USM was incredibly strong coming out of Ultimatum with Lafuente and Pichelli and the Spidey and Friends storyline. Great stuff all.

No. Joe Q said that about 12 years ago, not Bendis. So an editor speaking hyperbole /= a writer thinking a decade down the line.

Don't be an idiot, if it's a good story it's a good story. If it sucks then by all means lambast it.

And yes, Ultimatum was a fucking godawful book, but that has absolutely nothing to do with USM in any way shape or form. In fact, USM was incredibly strong coming out of Ultimatum with Lafuente and Pichelli and the Spidey and Friends storyline. Great stuff all.

Everything you posted is true, I got my quotes mixed up. You convinced me to pick up the first issue. Bendis does okay with spider-dialogue.

Gala

I just finished reading Ultimate Spider-Man and I really enjoyed it. I liked the body horrorish mutant/genetic experiment twists. I want to read more in this direction

So what can Comic-GAF recommend me next?

Mafro

Ultimatum completely killed my interest in the Ultimate universe until just last week when I started reading Ultimate Comics: Ultimates again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ultimatum completely killed my interest in the Ultimate universe until just last week when I started reading Ultimate Comics: Ultimates again.

Hickman's run? That's pretty good stuff.

Basically, if you see 'Jeph Loeb' anywhere on a comic's cover, stay the fuck away. The Ultimate Spidey stuff that came out of Ultimatum was some of the best stuff in the series though. The Requiem issues were heartfelt and emotional in a way that even the post-Death of Peter Parker stuff wasn't, and the character stuff where JJJ comes to respect and admire Peter was genuinely touching.

So yeah, shit on Loeb's atrocious stuff all you like but I'll defend USM to the last.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just finished reading Ultimate Spider-Man and I really enjoyed it. I liked the body horrorish mutant/genetic experiment twists. I want to read more in this direction

So what can Comic-GAF recommend me next?

Dude, that's a horrible question. Narrow that shit down, son.

Top of my head, if you like the body horror stuff, read Jeff Lemire's first Animal Man trade. If you want horror-horror, try Severed by Scott Snyder, best horror comic I've ever read.

But that's 2 books out of a possible ten thousand recommendations. Tell us some more about what you've read and what you like for more ideas.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The Requiem issues were heartfelt and emotional in a way that even the post-Death of Peter Parker stuff wasn't, and the character stuff where JJJ comes to respect and admire Peter was genuinely touching.

So yeah, shit on Loeb's atrocious stuff all you like but I'll defend USM to the last.

This is why I feel USM's portrayal of Jameson is so much better. It's probably one of those iconic things they can't change in the main universe but no man can be personally saved as many times by Spider-Man and witness the selfless things he does and still put his head up his ass and keep hating him for made up reasons. Makes him look like the biggest cartoon character in the series.

Owzers

Sooooooooooooooooooooo. Zero Month in September is real. 4 DC books are going to be canceled in September to make way for 4 new books, and those 4 books start wtih issue #0.

tumblr_m5au68l0bo1qbujox.jpg

"The four new series are Talon, written by James Tynion IV and co-plotted by Scott Snyder with art by Guillem March; The Phantom Stranger by co-publisher Dan DiDio with art by Brent Anderson; Team Seven by writer Justin Jordan with art by Jesus Merino; and Sword of Sorcery by writer Christy Marx and artist Aaron Lopresti (with back-ups by Tony Bedard and Jesus Saiz)."

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-new-52-zero-month-september.html

I think DC goes out of their way to make boring books, but that's just a hunch. Team Seven written by the guy who did Strange Tales of Luthor Strode? That is intriguing. But, to make sure i might not buy it, it's set in the past when Superman just appeared. I don't want to read more books set in the past of your crappy continuity DC.

Also, only one of the 4 canceled books is known, JL International. I'm guessing my Demon Knights and Frankenstein are safe....

Hickman's run? That's pretty good stuff.

Basically, if you see 'Jeph Loeb' anywhere on a comic's cover, stay the fuck away. The Ultimate Spidey stuff that came out of Ultimatum was some of the best stuff in the series though. The Requiem issues were heartfelt and emotional in a way that even the post-Death of Peter Parker stuff wasn't, and the character stuff where JJJ comes to respect and admire Peter was genuinely touching.

Is he that bad? I only know his name from The Long Halloween Batman comic which wasn't bad from what I remember.

EDIT: Beaten.

Actually, they may not be "canceling" Justice League International, just rebranding it like when Men of War became GI Combat. Out of those books I'd guess the closest to a rebranding of JLI would be Team Seven, but that's a stretch; there's still a chance that its replacement hasn't been named and another four books are getting canned too. Plenty of books on that bottom rung to get axed...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is he that bad? I only know his name from The Long Halloween Batman comic which wasn't bad from what I remember.

His Batman work is OK and worsens when you realise the story is a paper thin vehicle used to get Sale and Lee to draw dem splash pages. His Batman/Superman work is the apex of the idiotic dual narrative ("Bruce is my friend" "I feel like Clark is my ally" "I should kiss him" "I wish he would kiss me") which falls off a deep cliff about halfway through. And then he went to Marvel and ruined a perfectly entertaining Universe.

He's an odd writer in that his best work is his very earliest (Challengers of the Unknown yo!) and gets worse with each month going forward.

Do yourself a favour - borrow or steal Ultimates vol 3. It's fucking hilarious.

His Batman work is OK and worsens when you realise the story is a paper thin vehicle used to get Sale and Lee to draw dem splash pages. His Batman/Superman work is the apex of the idiotic dual narrative ("Bruce is my friend" "I feel like Clark is my ally" "I should kiss him" "I wish he would kiss me") which falls off a deep cliff about halfway through. And then he went to Marvel and ruined a perfectly entertaining Universe.

He's an odd writer in that his best work is his very earliest (Challengers of the Unknown yo!) and gets worse with each month going forward.

Do yourself a favour - borrow or steal Ultimates vol 3. It's fucking hilarious.

Haha, I literally have only read Long Halloween by him. He really did that? I'm sort of intrigued now to see how bad they can really suck. :p

And :lol at the borrow or steal.

Aw man! Sword of Sorcery is so mine! I've been begging on Twitter for an Amethyst book* since New 52 started! Need solo stories of the Demon Knights' crew too! And a Mordru run! And...I could list things all day.

Plus Talon is an amazing idea, especially with Snyder's paws still on it.

* my dream team of Gail Simone & Coleen Doran is still needed.

I mean only Amethyst seems like the only one with sustainability. These rest seem comparable to the Ravagers to me, which I'm getting, in that there premise are so myopic. I mean, can anyone see Talon lasting for 30 plus issues? I just can't accept that we didn't get a Cyborg book, a team book with the brahs from Trinity War preview or something to boost the Young Justice Line. I've given up on them doing anything with Milestone properties.

tim1138

I mean only Amethyst seems like the only one with sustainability. These rest seem comparable to the Ravagers to me, which I'm getting, in that there premise are so myopic. I mean, can anyone see Talon lasting for 30 plus issues? I just can't accept that we didn't get a Cyborg book, a team book with the brahs from Trinity War preview or something to boost the Young Justice Line. I've given up on them doing anything with Milestone properties.

As much as DiDio talks about constantly refreshing the line, it's conceivable they could be green lighting books with a certain issue count in mind.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I was thinking something similar, although none of those books interest me at all. I think that DC should stop trying to force all these ongoing titles and instead free up 20-odd of these shitty also-ran books, running mini series in their place. That way if an idea flies, they can make more, but they can quietly ditch the bad ones. I think more of tge big companies should focus on books that can be a done-in-one trade, a good story, like Severed or I Kill Giants or Luther Strode.

I was thinking something similar, although none of those books interest me at all. I think that DC should stop trying to force all these ongoing titles and instead free up 20-odd of these shitty also-ran books, running mini series in their place. That way if an idea flies, they can make more, but they can quietly ditch the bad ones. I think more of tge big companies should focus on books that can be a done-in-one trade, a good story, like Severed or I Kill Giants or Luther Strode.

I for one am excited for Team 7, Grifter is such a good character that they botched in his solo title.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Yeah, more minis would be nice, less forced ongoings. Talon sounds like a perfect mini concept. Is it really a planned ongoing?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I hope Birds of Prey doesn't get axed. It's a great team book :-(

I hope Birds of Prey doesn't get axed. It's a great team book :-(
Printed sales for BoP (and a lot of the mid-tier books, for that matter) are pretty much back to where they were before the reboot, 25k range. It's nowhere near the lowest selling books -- Captain Atom, for example, is likely declining past 10k this month.

I'm still holding out hope that Blue Beetle makes it, some of the Edge titles will be canceled since they are in Team 7. And I'll be pissed if they swap Batwing for Tallon.

I never really liked Wildstorm stuff, bleh

I say bleh because they have Canary in there trying to get me to look...no offense to the Wildstorm fans lol

Lombaszko

Interesting, the Batman Incorporated issue 0 cover background is from the previous Batman Incorporated run, not the one that just came out. That should be cool!

Owzers

read a few books....

Green Lantern #9 was good, i like the story around the Indigo Lanterns.

GLC and New Guardians #9- ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The GLC story is stalling and impractical
This whole trial of Stewart is a bore, you'd think the guardians, being unemotional, would appreciate Johns' tough decisions. Since Geoff Johns is making them out to be the enemy, they don't care about anything Lantern-esque at the moment so Stewart is at the mercy of the Alpha Lanterns and their verdict is ridiculous
New Guardians is a crossover story with Blue Beetle that i don't read. On its own it still told it's own side, but a side of a story i don't care about. Already pre-ordered up to issue #11, at least i won't bother with the Zero issues.

Demon Knights #8-9: If you're going to read Demon Knights, then it's best to not really judge this book by how much territory it covers, and just enjoy the characters and setting. It's not a fast moving book, issue #8 is pretty much what a Zero issue would cover, the backstory between Xanadu and Jason/Etrigan. Then #9 starts the course of the next arc. I like it, but it's a step short from being something that i'd imagine other random people liking a lot.

bangai-o

Banned
im looking around at the different comic by mail shops. I used to sub with Heavy Ink until it was revealed the owner is a douchebag, but I like the simple design of that shop so much compared to the others. That and shipping is only a dollar compared to five dollars minimum shipping at the others.

Alright brahs I did it, I added Spider Men to my subs.

DC needs to announce the other three canceled titles already. Like that they have new writers on Wave 3 and not the same brahs from the 80s like Perez and Levitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom