• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just ordered a PS2

Graciaus

The PCSX2 emulator works great and improves the graphics a lot. Most games work and some that have graphical glitches still look better to me. Google the specific game and you can find the best settings for it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
interlaced signal
You were dead on. It doesn’t work on my monitor, nor on my TV. Either it’s the HDMI to PS2 or no support for interlaced signals. Only options are AV cables

Silvawuff

I still have four PS2s from back in my FFXI multi-boxing days.

main.png

I had a serious problem back then...

Whoooooa. Mad respect here. Did you have a bunch of BLMs and just ran around torching anything you wanted? I knew a player who did this and it was some next level shit.

iHaunter

I mean, you can get the PS2 emulator PSCX2. The only reason I'm suggesting that is buying some of the old PS2 games can be quite pricey. (highest-grossing console ever).

Vawn

Banned
Whoooooa. Mad respect here. Did you have a bunch of BLMs and just ran around torching anything you wanted? I knew a player who did this and it was some next level shit.

No, I used a MNK on an alt to level up all my other jobs "solo" on my main. Then a WHM healer out of the party.

After I took a job and the MNK to 75, I killed off my MNK to delevel back to level 10 or so, and repeated the process.

I also camped out another dummy character in Jeuno or whatever city was the current gathering place, just to listen for shouts.

I did other things like camping out multiple NMs at the same time. I definitely had issues...

TLZ

Banned
If you're into football/soccer at all, get PES 5 or 6/Winning Eleven 9 or 10. They're still the best football games to this day imo.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I recently got a PS2 too. Here are all the games I bought for it:

vh1lqzI.jpg

I do play them on the PS2 hardware of course but I have backed them all up to my PC and can emulate them with PCSX2.

I think I paid about £25 for Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES was £70! Digimon World was £35 and the PS2 version of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone was £28

Last edited:

Silvawuff

No, I used a MNK on an alt to level up all my other jobs "solo" on my main. Then a WHM healer out of the party.

After I took a job and the MNK to 75, I killed off my MNK to delevel back to level 10 or so, and repeated the process.

I also camped out another dummy character in Jeuno or whatever city was the current gathering place, just to listen for shouts.

I did other things like camping out multiple NMs at the same time. I definitely had issues...

I definitely see no issues! You were playing the game the way you wanted to. That's all smart as hell. I miss FFXI as it existed at 75, I quit right before Abyssea hit and the cap increase. Used to run a huuuuuge Dynamis LS on Unicorn; we'd full-clear Xarc and whore attestions, sell our drops and split the gil. We were quite popular!

Chaos Legion, a very underrated hack and slash gem from Capcom. Probably has arguably one of the best OST’s of any game ever.

xdgMuMv.jpg

I still have that game. Pretty great considering it is overlooked by so many.

I recommend Motorstorm: Arctic Edge (although I played it on PSP), and the Growlanser games if they are cheap.

Nightshade if you want to try something challenging!

You're in for a shocker lol. Haunting ground sells for about $250 CIB.

There is a UK Store that is selling it for a mere £13 ($18) if you have a Region Free PS2!!!

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You were dead on. It doesn’t work on my monitor, nor on my TV. Either it’s the HDMI to PS2 or no support for interlaced signals. Only options are AV cables
Aight, system was in RGB mode, now it does work at 576i on my TV. The adapter is basically component video. Is this an issue or are there games that wont work?

S77

These raspberry pee or memeulator comments :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Even with a beast PC, the emulator is still so far behind in terms of accuracy compared to the real hardware, not to mention the convenience of having a PS2.

You got the best possible way to play OP... almost. The true experience is with an internal HDD, it makes the games load faster and run slightly better in some cases, and the lifespan of the console grows tenfold, since you are not utilizing the laser (which is first to break).

If you want to connect the PS2 to your monitor, that PS2toHDMI dongle will most likely not work since it just takes the 480i signal and converts it to HDMI, but it's still an interlaced signal so your monitor will most likely not accept 480i via HDMI. So, you either need a very old monitor that accepts that or an upscaler. The cheap options are the Pound HDMI cable or the RAD2x, both have ups and downs, but they do the job unlike those cheap HDMI dongles. The better options are legit upscalers or line doublers, like RetroTink, OSSC or Framemeister (if you are rich).

I'm using an OSSC, it can simulate the CRT look by adding scanlines, this is how it looks (if you get past the shitty phone camera):

Ecjlshb.png

ONLSYwS.png

fsI9jq4.png

CiTSEgJ.png

eCnYIEg.png

KXoFpAi.png

ow6S0M8.png

TUfjdp5.png

ZlV4siG.png

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to connect the PS2 to your monitor, that PS2toHDMI dongle will most likely not work since it just takes the 480i signal and converts it to HDMI
It works without problems on my TV as soon as I changed to component out. I had a split second of a picture on my monitor as well but other than that black screen.

Edit: Well.. it did work for Castlevania. Shadow of Memories loses picture after the title screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Backwards compatibility probably should be included with the PS5 but reality sets in and it's not there.

giphy.gif

Vawn

Banned
I definitely see no issues! You were playing the game the way you wanted to. That's all smart as hell. I miss FFXI as it existed at 75, I quit right before Abyssea hit and the cap increase. Used to run a huuuuuge Dynamis LS on Unicorn; we'd full-clear Xarc and whore attestions, sell our drops and split the gil. We were quite popular!

I wasn't on your server, but I was one of those people who bought the relic drops. I farmed gil for a full year for a relic weapon. I camped out 2 20 minute NM spots by multi-boxing.

Ah, good times. But I can never do that again. FFXI was way too addicting and mind-consuming.

Vawn

Banned
Are you the guy who bough "Four PS4" just because you still have this setup ?

No. I have a traditional set-up - one monitor in a media room dedicated to gaming. Luckily, FFXIV didn't really benefit from such drastic measures.

I have two PS4s, but only because I upgraded to Pro and used the other in the playroom for the kids and the VR.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
You should have gotten a set of composite cables and a good CRT tv if you want the true PS2 experience, but I hope you have fun OP. PS2 had something for everybody.

Shakka43

It works without problems on my TV as soon as I changed to component out. I had a split second of a picture on my monitor as well but other than that black screen.
The thing is that when you change the settings to component out, only the PS2's User interface and the few games that support it will send a progressive image to the monitor, the rest will just send an interlaced one which won't be playable in a lot of monitors. All those ps2 HDMI adapters do is convert analog image into digital but it will still be interlaced.

If you softmod your PS2 with FMCB you can use a software called GSM which can force games to a progressive scan mode, unfortunately not all games will work with that either.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is that when you change the settings to component out, only the PS2's User interface and the few games that support it will send a progressive image to the monitor, the rest will just send an interlaced one which won't be playable in a lot of monitors. All those ps2 HDMI adapters do is convert analog image into digital but it will still be interlaced.
AV out looks really bad. Castlevania did run @ 576i and 50Hz but gave me the option to go with 480p and 60Hz. Shadow of Memories worked but only the title screen. I wanted the PS2 to hook it up to my PC monitor though and well.. my monitor doesn’t even picture the PS2 UI. I got a picture for literally a second for some reason. If all this thing does is outputting 480i via HDMI, why it didn’t work at all while using RGB?
What does the pound cable do differently?

well anyway, thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

scalman

some cheap VGA boxes from china works well with old console to VGA/hdmi ports. that cable alone might be not best option , those vga boxes has its own menus with lots settings and options to choose.
you need to buy component cable for ps2 first and then some thing that does component to VGA/hdmi like this thing
will be best option , and better to watch it not on large hdtv but on some pc monitor for crisper image, you can use those on laptops as well

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
some cheap VGA boxes from china works well with old console to VGA/hdmi ports. that cable alone might be not best option , those vga boxes has its own menus with lots settings and options to choose.
you need to buy component cable for ps2 first and then some thing that does component to VGA/hdmi like this thing
will be best option , and better to watch it not on large hdtv but on some pc monitor for crisper image, you can use those on laptops as well
Can I play any PS2 game with this method? Or are there games not compatable with component cables?

Grinchy

Banned
where can you buy ps2?
Ebay or gamestops or if you have retro gaming stores. The price on them keeps going up. There were 150M+ sold and they are actually starting to get kind of expensive for the fat models because you need those to install hard drives.

Top Bottom