• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - JESUS IS KING album discussion

J-Roderton

Anyone else listening to it?

j8kzvvq.jpg

Streaming on Apple Music as well. Pretty sure Spotify too.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
So he finally released it, huh. Lol. I was listening in on my local rap radio earlier and boy were they roasting him for his stark lack of fulfilling promises.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Kayne is just getting ahead of the culture shift back to conservatism. I expect to see many more artists and entertainers "break away" to make religious/spiritual projects. It's not like they'll be mocked for doing so (anymore...), and Western Christians leap at pretty much any chance to be consumers of a righteous product.

TrainedRage

Banned
Kayne is just getting ahead of the culture shift back to conservatism. I expect to see many more artists and entertainers "break away" to make religious/spiritual projects. It's not like they'll be mocked for doing so (anymore...), and Western Christians leap at pretty much any chance to be consumers of a righteous product.
Its the new rebellion against these ultra liberal 'do what you feel like', atheist, vegan parents. I can see it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Best Christian stuff I've heard is Josh Garrels*.

Listen without prejudice, and you have to admit this is gorgeous.

*Only heard it because of the use of his track "white owl" in that Last Campfire trailer.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Hey now that Kanye is following Jesus, you think he’ll lead other family members to do the same? Think Kim will convert and stop dressing like a tramp? Think Kylie will start giving some of her billions to the poor? Caitlin will turn back to Bruce? Maybe resurrect Rob Kardashian? And if all that happens, they might have a shot OJ? The sky is the limit!

I’m only joking. I’m genuinely happy for the guy and think the new album is great. Maybe he can bring some sanity to his family.

Wasn't expecting much after Ye and all the delays made me believe this was going to be a dud. I am pleasantly surprised to be wrong, it's actually really good. Only listened once but after a few more listens I should be able to give an updated ranking

1 MBDTF
2 808s
3 Yeezus
4 Graduation
5 Pablo
6 Late Registration
7 College Dropout
8 Ye

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Imagine the opportunity if he'd take his amassed wealth and give it out now, live simple going forward. Anyhow, I there are some interesting things in here that are certainly not woke-friendly, and I appreciate that. For instance, his advice in one song is appropriately gendered, as much as it will clash to today's ears: he tells you to protect your daughters from vipers of all sorts, but train your sons to defend the truth.

Animagic

Banned
Imagine the opportunity if he'd take his amassed wealth and give it out now, live simple going forward. Anyhow, I there are some interesting things in here that are certainly not woke-friendly, and I appreciate that. For instance, his advice in one song is appropriately gendered, as much as it will clash to today's ears: he tells you to protect your daughters from vipers of all sorts, but train your sons to defend the truth.
What was once common sense is now radical according to the culture subverting npc’s

Best Christian stuff I've heard is Josh Garrels*.

Listen without prejudice, and you have to admit this is gorgeous.

*Only heard it because of the use of his track "white owl" in that Last Campfire trailer.

That's one of my favorite songs outside of hymns. Josh hits the note for the spots I need. Much of CCM is not really listenable. Glad to hear his Kanye stuff.

mekes

He’s always got an interesting sound and some diverse works on his albums. That being said, I’m just not enjoying this one. Free Kanye and damaged Kanye are much more interesting propositions than saved Kanye. We know how far up your own ass you reside, don’t preach to me! Should have made another collab with Kid Cudi instead.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There are a couple good songs but mostly this album is a personal profession of faith. It seems family life has woken up some things in him and he's going back and working through all his values. Some people will take it as a stunt, but I dunno man, the way he's talking on this thing seems genuine. Change may happen slow but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a new road for him.

Its the new rebellion against these ultra liberal 'do what you feel like', atheist, vegan parents. I can see it.

Yeah no in fact more people are leaving religion behind and what the fuck does conservatism and especially conservative politics have to do with religion.

The religious right is a small part of conservatism and does not represent the majority of conservatives many conservatives are not religious at all and while many are fiscally conservative they are still socially liberal.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
There are a couple good songs but mostly this album is a personal profession of faith. It seems family life has woken up some things in him and he's going back and working through all his values. Some people will take it as a stunt, but I dunno man, the way he's talking on this thing seems genuine. Change may happen slow but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a new road for him.

I quite like this album, particularly certain bits in "God Is"--although I'm decidedly not a Kanye fan in general, so my perspective is a bit different.

As for the faith content, I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it avoids the worst traps of most forms of Christianity that are found in his celebrity world. There's no prosperity gospel, no "affirming" progressive revisionism about being one's self, and very little that feels like it's building up Kanye's ego. Instead, just like the title, it mostly spends time talking about spiritual warfare, the true king, etc. I expected something awful theologically, instead it's... mostly okay.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Man... I remember when Bebe and CeCe Winans were big... They had that pop gospel thing going on. Their rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was pretty good... But the music they used in some songs made me sad (that synth style music) ... A lot of artists did similar (pop gospel) in the early to mid 90s.

highrider

Banned
Like his music and production, but can’t get in to his vocals. I’m going to stream it though I actually have a free Apple Music trial right now.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yeah no in fact more people are leaving religion behind and what the fuck does conservatism and especially conservative politics have to do with religion.

The religious right is a small part of conservatism and does not represent the majority of conservatives many conservatives are not religious at all and while many are fiscally conservative they are still socially liberal.

I get all my gen Z news from barna.com too!

Wasn't expecting much after Ye and all the delays made me believe this was going to be a dud. I am pleasantly surprised to be wrong, it's actually really good. Only listened once but after a few more listens I should be able to give an updated ranking

1 MBDTF
2 808s
3 Yeezus
4 Graduation
5 Pablo
6 Late Registration
7 College Dropout
8 Ye

Current rank:

1) MBDTF
2) Late Registration
3) College Dropout
4) Yeezus
5) 808s
6) Jesus Is King
7) Graduation
8) Life Of Pablo
9) Ye

If Kanye lived up to The Word instead of talk MAGA nonsense JIK would probably go up a spot (still dig the fuck out of it regardless).

zeioIIDX

No shit, I'd rather bump the soundtracks to Sister Act 1 & 2 if I wanna hear gospel and church music. Honestly, there are some jams on there. Not even being funny. I gave Jesus is King a few listens but I just can't bring myself to like it. It's so short and most of the tracks seem like they could build up to something incredible but they just peter out or end. I used to feel a personal connection to Kanye 'cause we both grew up on the south side of Chicago and we both have a deep love for the Chicago house scene (my dad spun house records as a DJ when I was a little kid) but damn, he's just....gone at this point.

1. College Dropout
  2. Late Registration
  3. Graduation
  4. Life of Pablo
  5. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  6. Watch the Throne
  7. Yeezus
  8. 808s (At this point and onward, these albums don't even get any play from me. Yuck)
  9. Jesus is King
  10. Kids See Ghosts
  11. Ye

J-Roderton

I listened to it a lot over the weekend. Like Ye, it seems like he just didn't finish writing some of the songs on this album. It's definitely decent, though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not top tier by any means, but it's decent, and different.

Kanye frequently reinvents himself, which is a large part of what makes his musical evolution interesting. Do you think this Christian stint will stick, or will he change focus again by next year?

Animagic

Banned
Not top tier by any means, but it's decent, and different.

Kanye frequently reinvents himself, which is a large part of what makes his musical evolution interesting. Do you think this Christian stint will stick, or will he change focus again by next year?

I think he’s all in, but what he does with it down the road will be different and even more creative

Top Bottom