• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karate Kid sequel series reuniting Ralph Macchio, William Zabka

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/04/karate-kid-sequel-series-youtube-red-ralph-macchio/

Ralph Macchio, who first played Daniel LaRusso in 1984's The Karate Kid, is set to reprise his role in a sequel series for YouTube Red titled Cobra Kai — and his on-screen rival, William Zabka, will be joining him for the ride as Johnny Lawrence.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, which was first to report the news, the half-hour comedy received a straight-to-series order with 10 episodes of Cobra Kai, set 30 years after the original film. In this next chapter of the saga, Johnny is down on his luck and re-opens the Cobra Kai dojo on his search for redemption. This puts him at odds with Daniel, who, though successful, is trying to find balance in his life without Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita, who died in 2005).

Hot Tub Time Machine‘s Josh Heald will write the script with Harold and Kumar‘s Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, while the latter duo will direct a chunk of Cobra Kai. Macchio and Zabka will also executive-produce with this trio.

”Like everyone who grew up in the 1980s, the three of us are enormous fans of The Karate Kid ," Heald, Hurwitz, and Schlossberg said in a joint statement. ”Cobra Kai will be a true continuation of the original films — packed with comedy, heart, and thrilling fight scenes. We can't wait to reignite the LaRusso-Lawrence rivalry, and we're thankful to our partners at YouTube Red, Sony Pictures Television, and Overbrook for their shared enthusiasm in making our dream project a reality."

”If The Karate Kid was Daniel's story, Cobra Kai is equal parts Daniel and Johnny's story," Macchio told THR. ”Also because this is a series and not a movie, we really wanted to reimagine how the story was told. Changing the name made sense as part of that."

Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Prologue

What about Will's kid and Jackie? Didn't that movie do really well? Surprised we haven't gotten a sequel to that, considering its disney.

cr0w

Old Member
The way I feel about Karate Kid is the way most people feel about Star Wars. This is the greatest news ever.

What about Will's kid and Jackie? Didn't that movie do really well? Surprised we haven't gotten a sequel to that, considering its disney.

I think the moment has passed, but I'm shocked we never got a sequel sooner. I have no idea where you got the Disney part being it was Sony that made that film.

If they don't call this "Karate Man", I'll be disappointed.

Also, Daniel should be running a car wash by now (Miyagi's Wax On Wax Off)

Cautiously optimistic about this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The most hilarious shit in the old movie was Daniel going out of way after tensions deescelated to dousing Johnny with water while he is in the bathroom trying to smoke some dank bud. As the one in the wrong, he then proceeds to run out of the school, causes a multi-collision crash because he is a jackass, then Johnny and his buddies catch up, Johnny puts him down, then Mr. Miyagi comes in and starts kicking kids in the balls repeatedly.

jett

D-Member
This sounds like a dumb idea. Will probably still watch for shits and giggles.

Too bad the Karate Kid remake never got a sequel, it was actually decent.

cr0w

Old Member
The most hilarious shit in the old movie was Daniel going out of way after tensions deescelated to dousing Johnny with water while he is in the bathroom trying to smoke some dank bud. As the one in the wrong, he then proceeds to run out of the school, causes a multi-collision crash because he is a jackass, then Johnny and his buddies catch up, Johnny puts him down, then Mr. Miyagi comes in and starts kicking kids in the balls repeatedly.

Daniel was a complete asshole who just couldn't let shit go. It's hilarious watching it in hindsight because he just can't NOT be a dick.

Rookhelm

I love love love the og Karate Kid, so I'm looking forward to this. But "comedy"? I dunno about that...

Also, I have Youtube Red (I think you get it if you subscribe to Google Music, too?), so I'll be checking this out.

Fun fact, Zabka has a cameo (well, small part) in Hot Tub Time Machine as the guy Rob Cordrry makes a bet with on the football game at the bar.

Also, for as much of a dick Daniel was in KK1, he's way worse in 3.

Interesting that Youtube seems to be putting out big bucks to get some new and nostalgic content, especially if they outbid netflix/amazon, this kind of show really seems to be right up those sites alley.

Feels like there are way too many places though that have exclusive content, I'm not really sure what the answer is but paying a dozen sites $10-20/ea a month does not seem sustainable in the long term.

Cable was the original "bundling" of networks into a single package, I wonder if in the future we will see some sort of uber-streaming service that bundles the best of the various sites into a single package.

Top Bottom