• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karate Kid sequel series reuniting Ralph Macchio, William Zabka

zeemumu

Shoulda been like Tokyo Drift where someone tells Jaden that some other karate master wants to talk to him and it's Daniel

Rookhelm

Aren't Johnny and Daniel sorta buddies at the end of KK1? or at least came to respect each other?

I wonder if they'll account for that, and come up with a new reason why tension rises between them, or if they'll keep going like they're still adversaries.

There are like 9 red flags, but I have a weird feeling that this is going to be awesome.

Interesting that Youtube seems to be putting out big bucks to get some new and nostalgic content, especially if they outbid netflix/amazon, this kind of show really seems to be right up those sites alley.

Feels like there are way too many places though that have exclusive content, I'm not really sure what the answer is but paying a dozen sites $10-20/ea a month does not seem sustainable in the long term.

Cable was the original "bundling" of networks into a single package, I wonder if in the future we will see some sort of uber-streaming service that bundles the best of the various sites into a single package.

I think it's awesome because many of them charge by the month and you can hop between them. I keep an Amazon Prime account for the shipping, and then alongside it I hop between like 4 streaming services or Netflix's Blu-ray service.

cr0w

Old Member
Aren't Johnny and Daniel sorta buddies at the end of KK1? or at least came to respect each other?

I wonder if they'll account for that, and come up with a new reason why tension rises between them, or if they'll keep going like they're still adversaries.

Yeah, Johnny respects Daniel at the end after seeing how unhinged Kreese was. I can see them being like a bickering old married couple at this point, which would be a funny angle.

1271010043_jump-in-the-car.gif

tkscz

Well, he's going to be at the Cincinnati Comic Expo this september, I guess I got questions for him now.

mm04

The Karate Kid along with Real Genius are my all time favorite 80s flicks. I'll have to check this out. If you're a fan, watch the 30th anniversary panel. It's entertaining.

blackflag

I feel like this could work with the right people behind it but honestly I'll probably never watch anything on Youtube Red.

Metalmarc

I never really liked the Karate Kid much, always thought it was only just okay, much like a lot of the beloved 80's films like Bttf, E.T, Goonies etc, all of these are meh.

But i'm willing to at least give this a try because it's a Comedy, i'm assuming it's a bit of a spoof of tge Karate Kid.

MisterHero

Just heard about this, super awesome. But which girlfriend will appear?

Also, Daniel should meet Hilary Swank's character

Briarios

Comedy doesn't mean it has to be a sitcom - with good writing and directions, it could definitely work. Whether it will have that, I dunno - but I can wait until it's out to judge it.

MC Safety

A new Karate Kid series starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka? I am in.

"The show is about two men addressing past demons and present frustrations the only way they know how: through karate."

Thanks, I'll pass.

RPGCrazied

Pass. And a 30 minute sitcom? No, thank you.

They should have did this years ago. After the 2nd movie, but keep the feel of the 2 movies.

mm04

Comedy doesn't mean it has to be a sitcom - with good writing and directions, it could definitely work. Whether it will have that, I dunno - but I can wait until it's out to judge it.

Yep. Master of None and Louie I'd consider to be comedy, but it's not laugh track style stuff like Fuller House. Billy Zabka slanting toward the Just One Of The Guys bully was funny, while still being "the bad guy".

MC Safety

Now that I think about it, I oftentimes deal with clogged sinks, high blood pressure, the rising cost of cable, and insect bites the only way I know how: through karate.

Lynd7

I don't think a straight comedy from the Hot Tub Time Machine guy is gonna be good.

Karate Kid has an underlying heart and warmth to it that I think doing a comedy misses the point.

I don't expect this to be good.

MisterHero

Now that I think about it, I oftentimes deal with clogged sinks, high blood pressure, the rising cost of cable, and insect bites the only way I know how: through karate.
Miyagi was a handyman and dealt with all those things through karate

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm glad more people are seeing the villainy of Daniel and Demon Sorcerer Ball Kicker Akuma Miyagi.

mm04

Well, I guess Youtube outbid Netflix, Amazon and Hulu for this. I happened to watch a local news report where they mentioned this and read it in other articles as well. So I don't think that the fact that it's going to be on Youtube is indicative of the potential quality, just that Youtube forked over the most cash.

Hyun Sai

The funny thing is that Maccio, playing Daniel, is 4 years older than Zabka, playing Johnny.

Daniel was the bully all along.

Top Bottom