• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Karate Kid (1984) and The Karate Kid (2010) will be joined in canon

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Bring back Johnny. Chozen and Barnes!!!!!

Call it the Karate Kid Cinematic Universe.

Jackie Chan and Ralph Macchio, both of whom starred in Karate Kid movies decades apart, are set to reprise their popular characters in Sony Pictures’ latest installment of the iconic coming-of-age martial arts franchise.

Jonathan Entwistle, best known for his well-regarded and award-winning teen television dramas I’m Not Okay with This and The End of the F***ing World, is directing the untitled feature that the studio is positioning as the fusing and continuing the mythology of the original franchise.

ElRenoRaven

I'm slightly interested but at the same time not. I like Cobra Kai, Ralph has done a great job. I like Jackie and felt he was probably the only good thing about the remake they called Karate Kid but even he couldn't save that turd. Might keep an eye on this.

Honestly though I'm just counting the time till the final season of Cobra Kai.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm slightly interested but at the same time not. I like Cobra Kai, Ralph has done a great job. I like Jackie and felt he was probably the only good thing about the remake they called Karate Kid but even he couldn't save that turd. Might keep an eye on this.

Honestly though I'm just counting the time till the final season of Cobra Kai.
Hopefully S5 of Cobra Kai (fucking legendary show!) ends with something that will lead into this new movie. But I have to admit it's kinda cool that the original and the reboot will co-exist as one now. Never seen that before.

What about Will's son? Forgot the crackhead dude's name

That film was a stain on the franchise in so many ways.

Boombox Shut Up GIF

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ugh, are they really gonna try to force me to watch that reboot just to keep up with the proper Karatekidaverse?
Basically I think you can go in knowing that Mr. Han is a cool, old kung fu teacher. That's it. And he has a tragic backstory with his wife and child like Mr. Miyagi.

Good character. Kinda not that terrible film but....Just skip it, or watch the Jackie Chan scenes only. Best part of that film.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Watching from afar to see whether they go next level or if they go septic tank.
I mean, it's Karate... so when they went Chinese(2010), LOL.. I had to scoff at the whole endeavor. People say it's a decent flick, and I think I will eventually check it out.

This means nothing, imo. Riding off the success of Kobra Kai... it mainly works because it uses established characters. How they create cannon with the actual Trilogy, Cobra Kai and the movie I had considered "Stupid for existing", will be interesting to say in the Least.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I mean, it's Karate... so when they went Chinese(2010), LOL.. I had to scoff at the whole endeavor. People say it's a decent flick, and I think I will eventually check it out.

This means nothing, imo. Riding off the success of Kobra Kai... it mainly works because it uses established characters. How they create cannon with the actual Trilogy, Cobra Kai and the movie I had considered "Stupid for existing", will be interesting to say in the Least.
Yeah, I refused to see that 2010 one: because of Will Smith's idiot son, and two, because they think the audience is stupid. Naming a movie Karate Kid that takes place in China, when Karate is a Japanese martial art is just racist and lazy.

I think it's even more frustrating, because the original movies got the whole aspects of karate correct. Mr. Miyagi was trained in a more defensive style of martial art, and we learn he was from Okinawa, and I learned during college that Okinawa was one of the original places where karate was developed. Just seemed like the film makers of the original movies had a lot more knowledge, and respect for the what the movie was about. Unlike the 2010 movie which just came off as a lazy cash grab.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Jaden does a typical mediocre job, but the real reason to watch the 2010 movie is for Jackie. He really emotes well and his emotional scenes are some of the best in the franchise.

Tams

The only good thing about the 2010 film is Jackie Chan.

The rest is utter bullshit. They don't even do fucking karate. The less said about Smith's son, the better.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Another good piece of news here is that it turns out, while the team behind Cobra Kai isn’t directly involved in the project, they have been part of the process. Sony Pictures Television produces Cobra Kai, and since Sony Pictures is making this movie, Cobra Kai creators Jon Hurwitz, Josh Heald, and Hayden Schlossberg have known it is happening and have offered assistance when asked. A source close to the project tells io9 the team has seen and given notes on all iterations of the scripts, and Entwistle speaks to them often, which is great news. They know and understand Karate Kid better than anyone so if they’re supportive of the film, that’s a huge bonus.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can't believe they are overlooking the important parts of this franchise

056ba3b092950db1cbe0368dbaeaa8f5458be1d1.gif
And I think she would be totally down for it. Hell, make her the villain! She is definitely fit as fuck and could sell any fight scenes.

Karate Kid needs to transition into a fantasy world where karate is more popular than football, every kid is in, or aspires to be in, a karate school, and karate tournaments are the Friday Night sports event for every town. There is SO MUCH they could do with all the different styles, MMA is SO popular, and the lessons of martial arts are universal, both the physical discipline and the philosophy. Cobra Kai is kinda heading that way, they just need to embrace it.

Artoris

Gold Member
The only good thing about the 2010 film is Jackie Chan.

The rest is utter bullshit. They don't even do fucking karate. The less said about Smith's son, the better.
the only Jackie Chan I liked were the cartoons in the nineties

I think the karate kid film may have destroyed his movie thing

Top Bottom