• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Woorloog

Banned
I didn't see any.
image.php

Aren't owls supposed to have good sight?

EDIT i need to go to sleep, otherwise i'm just going to make bad jokes...

Woorloog

Banned
it was my blind joke that started it :p

Re-checked and saw that.
Are spoiler tags another form of joke about blindness?

EDIT you could say i was blind when i didn't notice the first joke. Or something.

*mental groan*
OK, that's it, signing off now. And hopefully i'll manage to finish KS tomorrow. Err. You know.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Guys, I can't even deal with this anymore.
Threads for things people should play shouldn't die. I hate that I waited so long.

She gets last for being ungodly long.

Re-checked and saw that.
Are spoiler tags another form of joke about blindness?

EDIT you could say i was blind when i didn't notice the first joke. Or something.

*mental groan*
OK, that's it, signing off now. And hopefully i'll manage to finish KS tomorrow. Err. You know.

Well you two? How goes the KS romps?

GeekyDad

Says, "Do not download this content if you are not 18 years old or over." What kind of content are we talking about that requires someone to be 18? I ask because it looks like something my 16-year-old son might be interested in, but I don't want to be giving him hentai or anything like that.

Jintor

Says, "Do not download this content if you are not 18 years old or over." What kind of content are we talking about that requires someone to be 18? I ask because it looks like something my 16-year-old son might be interested in, but I don't want to be giving him hentai or anything like that.

It's not strictly hentai as such, but there ARE sex scenes and they ARE relatively explicit, so probably not good for your kid right now.

omlet

Personally, I wouldn't give this to my theoretical sixteen year old son. Give it a screening yourself first. As Jintor mentioned, the game has sex scenes (at least one per "route") in the writing accompanied by explicit background art (varies by artist/route, some are actually pretty tame as far as it goes, but still make it obvious what is going on even without focus on nudity--I think Hanako's is the only route with any full frontal female nudity)... you can disable the background art in these scenes in the game's settings (replaces with random photos of things... like in Hanako's route I tested it out and it had shrimp on a grill and I lol'd) but this works on the honor system as there's nothing from stopping you(r son) from switching it back--and even if you use this feature the story's text doesn't get censored.

If you do decide to preview it or recommend it to your son later, just remember to not judge the entire thing by any one girl's route as they were all written by different authors so just because you didn't like one story doesn't mean you won't like the others (probably)
and Rin's route is the most interesting one

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I'd be a little cautious, though you probably know your son the best. Just echoing what other's have said, there ARE sex scenes, and it is mature. That said, they are hardly the focus or end goal of the game, but they do exist.

I was just thinking about Emi's route... and lemons. :|

Only the dead can know peace from this pain

When I was 16 I probably would've played this and not told my parents.

Still trucking along. Taking it slower so I don't get burnt out.
Working on Shizunes route now. Still pretty early in.

Smart move. Part of me kinda wanted to read through KS like this: read a day's (in story day that is) per day. Basically, you read until Hisao falls asleep/next day and no more; letting the events of the day stew in your head before continuing.

*groans*
That!
Need to start...
I have like a thousand things to do, at least feels like it. Yet i'm no doing anything.

I know the feeling.

cjkeats

I'm still doing a tiny bit every couple of days. Still working on Shizunes route.
Need to have a sit down and just go through it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
New blog post, nothing too new to report on.

Katawa Shoujo 1.1 will be released on July 4th. The main feature of the new release will be the French language localization, the first of the Katawa Shoujo translation projects to come to completion. The translation was done by a French amateur translation team, Kawa-soft, who will be present at Japan Expo happening in Paris, France from 4th to 7th of July. Here are a few words from them:

"Hello to you all, we're Kawa-Soft!

Our goal is to promote visual novels to everyone who is French-speaking. We translate VNs - always with the proper permission to do so, legally. Everybody at Kawa Soft loves the idea of having a nice international VN collection. Kawa-soft is a nonprofit organization and the few profits (when we don’t just lose money) we make are only used to pay for the booths at conventions and the costs of printing physical releases.

Katawa Shoujo is the biggest project we've had at Kawa Soft. And for this occasion, we wanted to do something special. This year, we are publishing a 60 page Katawa Shoujo artbook and the KS physical edition will consist of a fancy Digipak case with a full color manual. Additionally, there's a “collector's” edition which combines the Digipak of the game, the game’s OST in CD format, the artbook and a special cloth bag. Of course, the artbook will be available online for free shortly after.

On another note, we are doing a lottery with a few games but we'll announce it officially soon on our website, we are for now really busy getting things done for Japan Expo. For the same reason, we don't have any pictures to show you because everything is currently under production... but as soon as we have some, we'll post them on our blog.

For more information, please follow this link (except for this page, everything else is in French, sorry).
That's all folks! Hope to see you at our booth.

Merci,

Kawa Soft staff."

Woorloog

Banned
Should play that Rin's route finally... Would have some 6h time tomorrow but it ain't enough, probably. Especially since i have to some other stuff as well.
Sigh... Should've played it a couple of weeks back, when i had absolute privacy here.
(The game's the sort that i can't play if there's a chance of someone bothering me)

TCKaos

Is it fitting that I've been replaying Katawa Shoujo on my phone while in the waiting room of my cardiologist's office to talk about my arrhythmia and of my pulmonologist's office to talk about my sleep apnea?

Shizune is the best girl. Come at me.

SerRodrik

Thinking of re-beating this game, since it's been more then a year since I last played it. Anybody else playing?

I've actually been finishing up the last bad ends that I hadn't done so I can get 100%. Hanako's bad end in particular was fun times.

Is it fitting that I've been replaying Katawa Shoujo on my phone while in the waiting room of my cardiologist's office to talk about my arrhythmia and of my pulmonologist's office to talk about my sleep apnea?

True, although boy does
her route gets weird at the third act and beyond.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

There only one thing to do now. Go find yourself a Yamaku.

Mephala

this was my first VN, you guys have any recommendations for another one like this?

You might also take a look here at the English Translated VN Thread. There are some good VNs around but I found it difficult to get into some of them. The premise/story will often intrigue me and I'm not too fussy with art styles but some of the characters can really rub me the wrong way or sometimes even just the prose can annoy me and distract me enough that I simply do not want to play it. :\ Look around, ask for opinions etc.

Ath

Ah I had a problem with my saves disappearing as well. They're still there, it's just that version 1.1 creates a new save folder for some weird reason.

I had to go to the Renpy folder under Users\username\AppData\Roaming (So mine was C:\Users\Ath\AppData\Roaming\RenPy). After I copied all the contents of the katawashoujo_actual folder into the katawashoujo_actual_1.1 folder that the patched version created, my savegames returned.

Tsang Tsz-Kwan, Blind Student With Limited Finger Sensitivity, Reads Braille With Her Lips, And Kicks Academic Butt (VIDEO)

lT4oEJu.jpg

Tsang Tsz-Kwan is blind, severely hearing impaired, and has limited sensitivity in her fingers. Instead of giving up on reading, though, the 20-year-old from Hong Kong has taught herself how to read Braille with her lips.

And she's met great success -- Tsang scored within the top 5 percent of almost all of her subjects in Hong Kong's college entrance examination, CNN reports.

Because of her disabilities, she could have opted not to take the tests, according to the South China Morning Post. But she decided that wasn't an option.

"I have to accept I'm disadvantaged ... I decided to take the challenge whatever the results," she told the paper. "I think the most important thing is the courage to face the challenge."

She now hopes to study translation in college so she can share with the world the things she loves to read. According to the Hong Kong Standard, Tsang is also working to urge her government to not scale back on courses for the disabled.

"The inconveniences and limitations [my impairments] bring will follow me my whole life," Tsang told CNN. "And I must have the courage to face the facts ... I'm going to treasure what I still have."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...tudent-reads-braille-with-lips_n_3619430.html

Absolutely amazing story about the power of perseverance. I get so frustrated sometimes with the most seemingly trivial things when others are at a severe disadvantage and are able to excel. Really makes you think about wasting your potential. Still have fond memories of this game. If it weren't so incredibly dense and oftentimes plodding, I'd definitely like to replay a route or two

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Update from the Japanese Translation Team.

From what I gather, translation is done and is currently undergoing reviews. Act 1 is totally done, all Act 2's have gotten at least one review/passover, and all Acts 3's and 4's are in a mix or ongoing and completed first passed. They want to have at least one review for each Act 3/4 and two for each Act 2 by next March.

So we'll probably see the Japanese update sometime next year, would be my guess.

Gazoinks

Wow, I thought this threaf was long dead. Good to see my original home still has some life to it.

Oh hey, convenient this thread popped up, because I actually only recently played this game. INCREDIBLY late to the party, I know. Anyway good game, impossible to explain without sounding creepy, etc. :p

I'm taking a break before I do Hanako and Rin's routes, but the rankings of the ones I've done are: Lily>Emi>Shizune.

Top Bottom