• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

I should probably go back and check because I remember I was missing scenes as well. Though I think it is because I used the save I had at the moment you chose who you should go with in the first chapter.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Well, the first missing one is between "Home Field Advantage" and "No Recovery", the second one is between "An Aesthetics" and "Proper Exercise" and the third one is between "Promise of Time" and "Throwing Balls".

The first one is entitled "Slow Recovery." It's part of an alternate path to get to Shizune's route. To get it, make your early choices like you're going down Shizune's route, but make sure to exercise with Emi and "go for it".

The second one is called "Creative Pain." It's where you commit to Rin's route
or Kenji's Route ;p
. Basically:

1. IN THE NURSERY:
    Ask about Shizune's Deafness
  2. RISK VS REWARD:
    Play Defensively.
  3. SHARED LIBRARY:
    Apologize to Hanako.
  4. BIZARRE & SURREAL:
    She wasn't cute.
  5. LUNCH EVOLUTION THEORY:
    Read my book.
  6. WAYLAY:
    Maybe.
  7. COLD WAR:
    Give me and Lilly a break!
  8. MIND YOUR STEP:
    Sorry I'm a bad shape.
That's one way at least. Just avoid the answers that guide you to certain routes.

And then your choice in "Creative Pain" will decide if you go on Rin's route or not.

The third one is "Clouds in my Head". It comes from make the choice in "Creative Pain" that commits you to Rin's route.

So, you haven't been down Rin's route at all it seems ;)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
That almost makes me think it's a glitch of some sort, but I'm not even sure how to force bugs in a VN. Most routes have alternate pathers, even after Act 1 but if you've done all the routes and you're missing more than I handful, I have no idea. Hmm, strange.

Nikodemos

Wait wut? It's Kinda impossible to get on the route without those scenes :/
Yeah, it was some sort of glitch. I revisited those scenes (apart for the "Slow Recovery" one, which I didn't get the first time) and remembered seeing them before. Maybe the game didn't register my clicks properly the first time, or something?

Now I've got 100% in the library, but the final picture won't show.

Yeah, it was some sort of glitch. I revisited those scenes (apart for the "Slow Recovery" one, which I didn't get the first time) and remembered seeing them before. Maybe the game didn't register my clicks properly the first time, or something?

Now I've got 100% in the library, but the final picture won't show.
Damn, that sucks :/

Proven

I got the bug where even after all scenes you don't get the 100% picture. It was frustrating. I just looked it up somewhere else, smiled, and saved it to my desktop.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Jintor

'I was prepared to fap, but I wasn't prepared to feel!'

Good times. I still run to this day, actually, but not as consistently as I'd like

Astarte

'I was prepared to fap, but I wasn't prepared to feel!'

Good times. I still run to this day, actually, but not as consistently as I'd like

I entered a marathon because of KS; it's something I'll never do again but it was the greatest feeling finally crossing that finish line.

Sometimes I look at images like these and remember all of the feels that were dropped onto my lap. I don't regret a single moment of it.

by4JK.jpg

I entered a marathon because of KS; it's something I'll never do again but it was the greatest feeling finally crossing that finish line.

Sometimes I look at images like these and remember all of the feels that were dropped onto my lap. I don't regret a single moment of it.
Good times. Still can't believe how much this game worked me lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I still haven't moved to any others yet.

I'm reading the Clannad VN (because I loved the anime adaption) and If My Heart Had Wings, atm, but KS was really my first real dive into them too.

One really good, but fairly short one with no choices/branches, with a a similar setting to KS is Narcissu. It's free from the folks at Insani. Very lovely piece. It's worth your time.

I'm reading the Clannad VN (because I loved the anime adaption) and If My Heart Had Wings, atm, but KS was really my first real dive into them too.

One really good, but fairly short one with no choices/branches, with a a similar setting to KS is Narcissu. It's free from the folks at Insani. Very lovely piece. It's worth your time.

Been thinking of getting the Steins;Gate VN since I loved the show.

Proven

I read Narcissu years before and it was touching, but the primary thing that got me to try full on PC VNs was a combination of anime adaptations and games like Phoenix Wright, honestly.

Even then, I've been so stingy that I haven't played much. I'm probably going to jump in on the Steins;Gate localization though. Managed to hold off on the anime.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Password to the .rar got posted today.

Inside:
A some of art work (some really really shitty but others good) and some (probably) joke draft/brainstorming text documents hinting at some unreleased VN project called Project EN.

Proven

Password to the .rar got posted today.

Inside:
A some of art work (some really really shitty but others good) and some (probably) joke draft/brainstorming text documents hinting at some unreleased VN project called Project EN.
Is there any likelihood that they'd come out with a new game?

todd360

Ok this is probably gonna sound fake but around a year ago I visited my friend at his college. He had a poster of the picture from the opening thread post. I asked him where he got it. He said that a katawa shoujo person had come to the school as was giving the posters out or something like that. I don't really remember this conversation very well. Anyways he said something about asking the person if there was gonna be another vn and he was told that they are working on something currently. Maybe the person didn't say vn I'm trying to remember. I can say with certainty that my friend said they are working on something though. I highly doubt he would have lied about that. Poster was totally legit in any case. I want one haha.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Seems they got rid of that page.

Yeah. I'll find a way to post the contents if y'all are interested.

idk, the contents of the .rar seem really...disjointed. Two of the pictures are literally the ugliest scribble sketches I've ever fucking looked at. It just seems like a mess of whatever and bit of a gag rather than any real cohesive teaser dump. There are some interesting ideas in here (they make mention of maybe doing a guerrilla release of a game in Chicago and/or NYC only, where they randomly drop parts of the project in USB drives, for example)

I know a few them are working on new projects outside of 4LS, so there's that.

Yeah. I'll find a way to post the contents if y'all are interested.

idk, the contents of the .rar seem really...disjointed. Two of the pictures are literally the ugliest scribble sketches I've ever fucking looked at. It just seems like a mess of whatever and bit of a gag rather than any real cohesive teaser dump. There are some interesting ideas in here (they make mention of maybe doing a guerrilla release of a game in Chicago and/or NYC only, where they randomly drop parts of the project in USB drives, for example)

I know a few them are working on new projects outside of 4LS, so there's that.

Sure, I'd love that.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

bfwings55

So I played this a few months ago and I just feel like putting my thoughts down.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Good writing for the most part, decent art, enjoyable characters, etc.

Now for everyone's favorite: route rankings.

1. Shizune: most people seem to like this one the least. And I can see where they're coming from. This one has some writing problems. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that the writer wanted to do a different route, and that might be the case. There are some issues with repetitive sequences, too much text in each text box, and some strange reactions or lack thereof.

However. I found myself enjoying this one the most. First off, I really like Shizune. I found her the most intriguing out of all of the characters. The others you can pretty much tell what they're about in the first few minutes. Shizune is a bit more mysterious. She can sometimes come off as a little bitchy, but I honestly liked that. Some of the other girls are just too "perfect". Shizune felt much more real in her actions. She's also very sad in a way. She only really talks to one person, and everything she says goes through a filter. Her dynamic with Misha is great.

The thing I feel people don't give the route enough credit for is Hisao. I think some people dislike that this isn't just another waifu route. But in all of the other routes (except maybe Emi's) Hisao doesn't do anything except have his life revolve around that girl. In Shizune's, he starts the science club, decides on his future, and actively participates in school projects throughout the story. He actually becomes something, and it's because of Shizune. At the beginning Hisao is a passive, depressive, whiny fuck. Shizune keeps him so busy he eventually forgets to be depressed and realizes doing stuff is rewarding. The fireworks scene is a good summary of the route.

Overall, it has some issues but I feel the characters work best in this route. Also, it has that surprisingly touching Kenji scene. Love that scene so much.

2. Lily: probably the best writing in the game. Has some enjoyable moments and Lily is likable, as is her relationship with Hanako. I do feel that Lily is just too perfect and doesn't get fleshed out as much as I wanted. And this route is probably the worst about Hisao being an obsessed nothing. His heart condition is the worst in this one, and I like to think it's because he does no activity like in Shizune's or Emi's and just obsesses over Lily. It's still a very good route, but it's a little too one dimensional.

3. Emi: a very cute story. Definitely the lightest read in spite of her history. I enjoyed Emi as a character, but this route really suffered because it's so simple. The only conflict is Emi's inability to get close to people. There's barely any interaction with other students and there's no other problems in their relationship. Wish it could have been deeper, but still a lot of fun. (Also, her bad end is the harshest. That passive aggressive break up was brutal.)

4. Hanako: this one was okay. It just felt too much like weeaboo shy girl pandering. It was way too much "protecting" her. I felt like it appealed to a very certain group who want a helpless anime girlfriend they can protect at all times. Hanako herself never really came into her character enough for me. She was largely the same by the end as she was in the beginning. She does become more open and everything, but even with that for whatever reason I didn't see much change in her or the conversations with her.

5. Rin: Oh Rin... I really like her in other routes. She's a great character. But her route was a slog to get through. It feels like she never says a real thing until the last scene (which, I have to say, is probably my favorite ending. She actually shows real growth and understanding in her ending and says real things). In every other scene she's just quirky and vague and honestly kind of unlikable, unlike her character in other routes. Not to mention unlikable side characters and no real variety in locations. I really wish someone would go back and give this one another try.

Even with these criticisms I still enjoyed all routes and the game as a whole. I just wanted to point out my criticisms more since all the good things have already been said.

omlet

4. Hanako: this one was okay. It just felt too much like weeaboo shy girl pandering. It was way too much "protecting" her. I felt like it appealed to a very certain group who want a helpless anime girlfriend they can protect at all times. Hanako herself never really came into her character enough for me. She was largely the same by the end as she was in the beginning. She does become more open and everything, but even with that for whatever reason I didn't see much change in her or the conversations with her.

One main point of Hanako's story is to punish the reader for trying to be protective of her, to point out that that mindset is a bad one to have when approaching her (and, on a more meta level, people like her). The shy girl pandering is a trap and many people fell spectacularly into it. Attempts to white knight Hanako result in her rejecting you. This route is more about MC (and possibly the reader) changing, not Hanako changing.

bfwings55

Yeah, I do like that they went in that direction, but I still just didn't feel much connection with the character. She was the most "anime" of the group.

Also, I remember another reason why Rin's route didn't click with me too much: I really dislike the way she's drawn. The other girls all look fine in their own styles, but Rin just looks bleh.

Woorloog

Banned
"Do you remember what you thought about things three or four years ago? I don't."

Why does this thing have to have so sharp questions?

Top Bottom