• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Jawmuncher

I'm playing it right now for the first time and enjoying it a lot.
The characters and setting thus far have just worked so great. Thus far this Free VN is better than the one I bought (If My Heart Had Wings).

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Hanako is best girl (although I wouldn't say best path even though it's up there for me).

Surprised you got Hanako first.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
CHEEZMO™;95166979 said:
Hanako is best girl (although I wouldn't say best path even though it's up there for me).

Surprised you got Hanako first.

Someone on GameFAQs actually broke down the rates at at which you'd get the different endings if you made random choices.

14.29% chance for Emi's
3.25% chance for Hanako's
3.25% chance for Lilly's
22.08% chance for Rin's
4.87% chance for Shizune's
52.27% chance for The Best Route AKA
Kenji's/Dark Souls: The Visual Novel/I'm Free Fallin'..../Bros before Hoes/The Manliest Picnic/Final Destination

Jawmuncher

Yeah I lucked out.
Just looked at a chart and I had some close calls that would have put me on different paths.
I didn't even know you could get bad ends in this.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah I lucked out.
Just looked at a chart and I had some close calls that would have put me on different paths.
I didn't even know you could get bad ends in this.

All routes have a bad end, and some have an additional third "neutral" or "bittersweet" end. There's also a bad end for Act 1
which is actually the best route in the game, accept no substitutions.

CHEEZMO™;95199037 said:
Never had a bad end. Got the good ones on every go.

Is that normal or am I just lucky? lol

Probably just lucky. I got the Act 1 bad end on my second go and got Rin's bad end on my first go through her route, lol.

I actually went and read all the bad and neutral ends because I wanted that 100%
and the shitty extra background CG, what a ripoff
. Some of the bad ends are rough, some not so much. I didn't really care for Rin's route, but man her neutral end hit me like a ton of bricks.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
CHEEZMO™;95200156 said:
Is Rin's neutral end the one where it's implied
she'd go on to kill herself
?

That's neither, at least I think. It might be the bad end. The "Bad" end is
in Act 3 before Rin's showing, where Hisao just goes "I don't understand yooouuuuuu!!!" and they yell and he leaves, goes back to his room and realizes that he's been wasting time chasing things out of the reach. I guess it could be implied that she'd continue on her path of destroying her health for her art.
The neutral end is
in Act 4 where Rin accepts a scholarship to a famous art school, gives a tearful goodbye to Hisao and tells him to just "forget he ever met her" and she leaves for good.

If it was the neutral end, I missed that implication.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yeah, in one end (It might actually be the bad one) doesn't the art woman
talk about how husband was like Rin and going through something similar and ended up killing himself? From what I gathered it's implied she is both currently following that same path and, if unchecked, will reach the same end.

Gazoinks

I got Shizune's bad ending because I accidentally skipped past the one dialog choice in her entire route without realizing it. :|

That'll teach me to rapidly quick to move the dialog faster.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
CHEEZMO™;95204578 said:
Yeah, in one end (It might actually be the bad one) doesn't the art woman
talk about how husband was like Rin and going through something similar and ended up killing himself? From what I gathered it's implied she is both currently following that same path and, if unchecked, will reach the same end.

Couldn't tell ya. I plan on re-reading KS, especially Rin's cause I feel like I understood hers the least.

I got Shizune's bad ending because I accidentally skipped past the one dialog choice in her entire route without realizing it. :|

That'll teach me to rapidly quick to move the dialog faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttSnYY3vj1c

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yeah, I've been wanting to replay Rin so I can figure out wtf is going on this time.

Also
I checked out the pics of the Misha H-scene. Dat chub unf unf.
Hottest girl in the game tied with Hanako (no pun intended).

Couldn't tell ya. I plan on re-reading KS, especially Rin's cause I feel like I understood hers the least.

I feel the same.

CHEEZMO™;95208796 said:
Yeah, I've been wanting to replay Rin so I can figure out wtf is going on this time.

I'm planning on replaying this pretty soon, and Rin will probably be the first route I go through this time. I think her being the last route of my first playthrough kind of soured me on the whole shebang. We shall see if anything changes this time around.

Woorloog

Banned
I still need to play Rin's route. I'm posting in hopes of that by posting i somehow take some time to play this.
I wonder how long it takes. Can't recall how long the other routes took. I'm fast reader though (perhaps too fast even, i don't take time to appreciate art or think about the text often).

CHEEZMO™;95208796 said:

Also
I checked out the pics of the Misha H-scene. Dat chub unf unf.
Hottest girl in the game tied with Hanako (no pun intended).
Actually, I think something like that was mentioned but I thought nothing of it.

Artist Weeeee and Composer Skaf have put up some thoughtful blog posts on the creation of KS on this, the TWO YEAR anniversary of Katawa Shoujo's release!

Fun fact: Skaf was by my estimation only 18 or so when he wrote his tracks for the OST
Interesting read, sounds like things were quite the clusterfuck on the art side. I'm still surprised by how well the music came out, I expected nothing and got plenty.
The unused Festival theme sounds like some PS1 era JRPG stuff.

Still the best theme, still brings those feels.

KiraFA37

Artist Weeeee and Composer Skaf have put up some thoughtful blog posts on the creation of KS on this, the TWO YEAR anniversary of Katawa Shoujo's release!

Fun fact: Skaf was by my estimation only 18 or so when he wrote his tracks for the OST

Must read... later, thanks. Playing KS was an amazing experience for me, most likely because I hit the
awesome manly Kenji and booze
ending first. (Okay my first real ending was Rin, in the middle of the morning, my mind was full of f*ck and feels)

Nikodemos

I must say, Shizune's path seems a bit underappreciated to me. Hers is the only path where I burst into laughter several times at some of the things characters said. And Kenji has some great lines in it.

Oh, and my library seems to be missing a few scenes from act I. Can't figure out how to reach them.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I must say, Shizune's path seems a bit underappreciated to me. Hers is the only path where I burst into laughter several times at some of the things characters said. And Kenji has some great lines in it.

Oh, and my library seems to be missing a few scenes from act I. Can't figure out how to reach them.

What are the scenes above and below them?

Top Bottom