• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: 'Beasts of the Mesozoic' Accurate Articulated Raptor Action Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Nice, Greg Bear is amazing. Didn't know this existed.

Neither did I. I did a double take. It's a few decades after the discovery of the lost world and JW-like, people are getting bored with dinosaurs. They populate zoos and now the last dinosaur circus is closing. A film crew made up of classic stop motion movie creators joins a group traveling back to the lost world to release the circus animals.

Neither did I. I did a double take. It's a few decades after the discovery of the lost world and JW-like, people are getting bored with dinosaurs. They populate zoos and now the last dinosaur circus is closing. A film crew made up of classic stop motion movie creators joins a group traveling back to the lost world to release the circus animals.
Well you sold me because that sound a bit like my decade+ old idea for a JP4.

The T-Rex absolutely did not have feathers, and I don't give a damn about any scientists. Those motherfuckers are lying, and making me pissed.

Wow, these are awesome! Unfortunately, I don't really have the money to back this myself at the current time, but I definitely wish them the best of luck!

Imagine if Dinosaurs lived long enough to where Velociraptors evolved to have wings?

Flying death beasts, man. Flying death beasts.

Ha, now I'm remembering how the most ardent of the BANDits* and MANIACs** try to argue that dromaeosauridae are simply large flightless birds or cousins of birds and not actually dinosaurs.

hupla

Pretty sure I'm gonna go in for at least one of these. They look super cool and I think it's cool to see more collector oriented toylines on KS

Who are BANDits and MANIACs?

Birds Are Not Dinosaurs - paleontologists who insist that birds aren't dinosaurs or descended from dinosaurs. Their arguments tend to be really nitpicky or bizarre, and their alternatives to dinosaurs-as-bird-ancestors are usually nonsense.

Maniraptorans Are Not, In Actuality, Coelurosaurs: When it became obvious that maniraptorans (dromaeosaurs, troodontids, oviraptors, therizinosaurs, etc.) were definitely feathered with real feathers, the justification was that these clearly bird-like dinosaurs were not actually dinosaurs at all, they just looked exactly like dinosaurs because of convergent evolution.

...Yeah, they're a very small but stubborn bunch. Hilariously enough, the people who take their arguments most seriously are creationists and intelligent design people looking to "debunk" the birds-are-dinosaurs idea because it illustrates evolution so well.

Amalthea

Banned
Birds Are Not Dinosaurs - paleontologists who insist that birds aren't dinosaurs or descended from dinosaurs. Their arguments tend to be really nitpicky or bizarre, and their alternatives to dinosaurs-as-bird-ancestors are usually nonsense.

Maniraptorans Are Not, In Actuality, Coelurosaurs: When it became obvious that maniraptorans (dromaeosaurs, troodontids, oviraptors, therizinosaurs, etc.) were definitely feathered with real feathers, the justification was that these clearly bird-like dinosaurs were not actually dinosaurs at all, they just looked exactly like dinosaurs because of convergent evolution.

...Yeah, they're a very small but stubborn bunch. Hilariously enough, the people who take their arguments most seriously are creationists and intelligent design people looking to "debunk" the birds-are-dinosaurs idea because it illustrates evolution so well.
Oh, those morons...
Pretty bizzare how much some people just can't accept the whole Birds = Dinosaurs thing, even scientists, despite being nearly as obvious as the Humans = Apes connection (admittedly that's even today controversial to some). But who am I kidding, we live in a world where people who live in ridiculous fantasy worlds actually have power.

EDIT:
Well you sold me because that sound a bit like my decade+ old idea for a JP4.
Greg Bear and his son actually wrote a Jurassic Park comic series for IDW a few years ago. Featuring feathered raptors. lol

Not sure I like how stretch goals are handled here. Unless they're added to our orders for free (like another kickstarted I helped fund), they should offer it up sooner rather than later so more people and current backers can offer more money.

Threw it up on my Twitter as soon as I found out!
Nice. I had meant to pm you about it. Looking forward to yours as well!

Wow! This is nearly at $90,000 already. On that note, David has added two stretch goals..

Stretch goal #1- $135,000.00

31OYu1L.jpg

Saurornitholestes sullivani (lizard-bird thief): Known for its keen sense of smell, light build, and long sharp claws, Saurornitholestes was both a hunter and a scavenger.

--

Stretch goal #2- $145,000

Balaur bondoc (stocky dragon)- Once thought to be a Dromaeosaurid, Balaur is now classified as a bird. Balaur is known for having two sickle-shaped claws on each foot, and its limbs were proportionally shorter and heavier than those of its relatives.

--

Here's a WIP look at the Saurornitholestes head sculpt:

sO4WHXF.jpg

Pejo

Is there a stretch goal yet to un-ruin my childhood by removing the feathers?

Nah, they look great, still like the old featherless raptors though.

So we will be looking to the double amount (6) figures after the stretch goals are added. I would like a complete set, so waiting the goals to be met and then after I throw more money after the goals were met looks a conteasense to me.

Finally some scientifically accurate dinos I can buy for my nephews! You have no idea how hard it is to find those kind of things in this conservative hell-scape

Funded! With 17 days remaining, the $125,000 goal has been hit!

With that in mind, some new updates have hit:

4Arpc7B.jpg

Kickstarter Exclusive add-on

Velociraptor osmolskae (swift thief)- The lesser known of the two Velociraptor species, it too used to inhabit the Mongolian deserts and is presumed to have had a very similar anatomical appearance to Velociraptor mongoliensis with its long and low skull, an upturned snout, and deadly toe claws.

This is an incentive add-on and is available to be added to your existing pledge level (those only pledging for the print level, please add shipping of $10 of US and $25 for International)

The add on price is $30 US backers and $32 for International backers.

Estimated delivery: May 2017

+

Stretch goal #3 - Adasaurus

Nice to see this on the front page again. I added funds for the exclusive on top of the raptor pack, but as much as I'd like them all, I just can't. My wife would kill me haha.

It was nice getting the email updates and seeing just how fast this thing got funded.

I was at Yale Peabody museum on Sunday and couldn't help but yearn for these while browsing the gift shop to add to my mini statue collection. I will say I was quite pleased with the increased amount of feathered dinos and updated velociraptor. The quality just doesn't come close to these though.

Things are going fast! Over $138k now and first Stretch goal is unlocked: Saurornitholestes sullivani .

Yeah, he will probably get the $155 for the full set production.

Toxi

Banned
...Jesus Christ, that's hilarious.

No no no no.... He just revelead that there are 8 streched goals, making a total of 12 figures. My wallet.... I can't I can't... I thought there will be just 3 extras plus the exclusive. My wife will kill me....

No no no no.... He just revelead that there are 8 streched goals, making a total of 12 figures. My wallet.... I can't I can't... I thought there will be just 3 extras plus the exclusive. My wife will kill me....

Good news is there is no way those will all be released next year! You have the time to slow burn the accumulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom