• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter- Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn (PC)

afPURQp.jpg

Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn (PC) Kickstarter page
  • 21 days to go
  • $3,927/$25,00 goal

Game Summary/Features:

Carnivores is a first person shooting (FPS) game where you hunt the largest and most dangerous creatures to ever exist -- DINOSAURS! The game was originally released for the PC back in 1998 to great reviews and a loyal fan following. Since then it has made appearances on PSP, Mobile Systems and PlayStation 3. We want to bring back Carnivores: Reborn (after sixteen years) to its rightful home on the PC. We've teamed up with the games original designer and creator, Yaroslav Kravchenko and have been working hard on the game. Carnivores: Reborn will feature elements and dinosaurs that made the first games so popular as well as some new features. How much additional content will be created will be determined by this Kickstarter Campaign. The PC game will have gamepad support and will be made available through Steam as well as DRM-Free digital distribution channels.

The game will have a minimum of 3 different islands to explore, each with their own unique environments, and conditions (day, dusk and fog), as well as additional weather conditions. Each island is about 4 square kilometers in size and currently, we have a variety of dinosaurs which can be hunted. The Player, taking on the role of a DinoHunt Corporation customer, will need to purchase a hunting license, pack up their gear, choose an environment and embark on the adventure of a lifetime!

The game is scheduled to be released Q1 2015.

--

• Hunt the largest and most ferocious animals known to man – the Dinosaurs!
  • Huge Free-Roaming Open 3D worlds!
  • Beautiful and realistic high definition graphics.
  • A multitude of different Dinosaurs, from Herbivores (plant eaters) to the Carnivores (meat eaters).
  • Realistic AI – Dinosaurs react to sight, sound and smell, each with their own mannerisms and behaviors.
  • Explore and hunt in different Eco-systems including jungles, forests, beaches and rolling hills.
  • Equip camouflage and Cover Scent to even the odds.
  • A variety of weapons and equipment to choose from (from Sniper Rifle to Cross-bow).
  • Map and Radar to locate and track Dinosaurs.
  • Use tranquilizer darts instead of bullets (experience the thrill of the hunt without the killing).
  • Interactive Dinosaur Trophy Room.

gwcRWjf.png

Differences from PS3

We are porting game assets from the PlayStation version to make this game. Backers will determine how many new elements and dinosaurs we can add to the game based on their pledges and amount of money being funded. The development team has been working on this project since April and below are some of the revisions and improvements we've already made or have targeted to make.

Control Scheme:

Moving from controller pad to key pad and mouse.

Visual quality:

Bringing the game to the PC allowed us to make improvements to our rendering engine and make the environment more beautiful and lush. For example look at the images below to see some of the graphical differences in the grass.

HHl720H.jpg

IkaqTqL.jpg

PC Environment has taller, lusher grass that blows in the wind. Now that we’re on the PC we can go to town with our environments.

Improved Dinosaur Behavior:

Artem and Yaroslav are working hard to make the dinosaurs smarter and more vicious than in any previous Carnivores installment. The more natural and believable dinosaurs are in the game, the more intense and entertaining the hunting experience will be. Fine tuning and adjustments will be made to dinosaur path-finding and behaviors, Artem would like the dinosaurs to react like real animals in the wild, where at first glance there is unpredictability but after close observation there is an understanding of how the animal behaves. But just like in nature, the smarter an animal is the more unpredictable they are. This element will require the Player to take his time stalking and studying their prey to become an expert hunter, which will heighten the danger and excitement while providing players with much deeper gameplay.

Achievements and Leaderboards:

Achievements and leaderboards for Steam have already been implemented into the game. While we’re not finished yet, a lot of the work has been done.

Greater Sense of Danger:

Hunting dinosaurs should be scary and intense. If you make a mistake, you’re probably not going to live to regret it. Improving dinosaur behavior and A.I. is one aspect of it but another is dying. With additional funding we would like to improve this component of the game. We have many ideas rolling around from in-game death cinematics to the Player losing his trophies but we want to hear what you want. If you die in the game what do YOU want to see happen? Let us know.

Sound:

This is something we’ve started and will continue throughout the entire development cycle. Dinosaurs are going to sound like dinosaurs – no more bears! All aspects of the games sound design will be improved.

Game Economics:

The entire economy of the game will be rebalanced with an emphasis on less grinding and more fun.

To be continued next update….

Rewards:

• $5 – THANK YOU! At this tier, you receive access to our backer exclusive website and updates, which include participation in surveys, digital wallpaper images, and your name listed in the Thank You credits.

• $15 – THE CORE GAME: Includes either a DRM-free DIGITAL COPY OF THE GAME on PC, or a code to download the full game on Steam.You also receive a PDF of the retro style GAME MANUAL and all items in the THANK YOU tier.

• $20 – EARLY BIRD SPECIAL! The Backer Plus Edition Reward Tier for only $20.00! Includes everything in the previous tiers, plus a PDF ART BOOK & STRATEGY GUIDE and an upgraded RIFLE with a custom texture (this texture is exclusive to backers only. The weapon upgrade is available to everyone in the game). (This reward is limited to 25 backers)

• $25 – THE BACKER PLUS EDITION: Includes everything in the previous tiers, plus a PDF ART BOOK & STRATEGY GUIDE and an upgraded RIFLE with a custom texture (this texture is exclusive to backers only. The weapon upgrade is available to everyone in the game).

• $40 – ALL DIGITAL CARNAGE: This is a perfect package for our friends overseas who don't want the hassle of shipping. Includes everything in previous tiers, plus PDF MAP & DINO CHART POSTER, a fully upgraded CROSSBOW with custom textures (this texture is exclusive to backers only. The weapon upgrade is available to everyone in the game) and EARLY BETA ACCESS.

• $60 – THE BOXED EDITION: At this tier, you will receive a BOXED COPY OF THE GAME, which includes a DRM Free DVD, a printed MAP and DINO CHART POSTER, a DINO FIGURINE, a SIGNATURE CARD signed by the creator of Carnivores Yaroslav Kravchenko, an old school PRINTED GAME MANUAL, as well as EARLY BETA ACCESS to the game. You also receive everything in the previous tiers.

• $100 – SNIPER EDITION: Proudly display your status as a Dinosaur Hunter with an exclusive T-SHIRT and BASEBALL CAP and upgraded SNIPER RIFLE with custom textures (this texture is exclusive to backers only. The weapon upgrade is available to everyone in the game). You also receive everything in the previous tiers.

• $200 – THE PACK LEADER EDITION: Bring your friends into the hunt!This tier includes an exclusive must have Carnivores HOODIE, and TWO ADDITIONAL DIGITAL COPIES OF THE GAME for your friends. You also receive everything in the previous tiers.
  • $500 – LOCATION SHOOT: At this tier, you can immortalize yourself by NAMING A TERRITORY in the game! All names will need to be approved by the design team (names won’t be obtrusive and your “location” will be worked into the games narrative in a logical way). Plus your name will be etched on the WALL OF FAME in the in-game Trophy Room!You will also receive an ASSOCIATE DESIGN CREDIT, as well as everything in all previous tiers. (This reward is limited to 20 backers).

• $1000 – GOLD COLLECTORS EDITION: If being immortalized is not enough then consider this… You’ll receive an ORIGINAL PIECE OF CONCEPT ART created for the development of the game (each piece of art will be of a dinosaur, hand drawn and inked), signed by the artist and suitable for framing. You’ll also receive a BOXED EDITION OF THE GAME SIGNED BY GAME CREATOR, YAROSLAV KRAVCHENKO and other members of the development team, a “Golden” custom texture for your rifle, sniper rifle and crossbow and everything in all previous reward tiers. (This reward is limited to 15 backers).

• $2,000 - A SEAT AT THE TABLE: At this tier, you can appear in the game as one of the official BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF DINOHUNT INC. with your name and image included as part of the BOARD OF DIRECTORS PORTRAIT WALL!Your fictional backstory will appear in the manual, and you will receive a one-of-a-kind BOARD OF DIRECTORS CERTIFICATE suitable for framing. If that’s not enough, we’ll also throw in an exclusive DINO HUNT INC. BOARD OF DIRECTORS VARSITY JACKET (only a small run of these beauties will be made). Finally, as a board member you’ll be invited to listen in on our monthly production & design meetings. This tier includes all previous reward tiers. (This reward is limited to 10 backers).

• $2,500 – MUTANT DINO (HERBIVORE): At this tier, you will be considered part of the GENETIC RESEARCH TEAM, an exclusive position that grants you the ability to CREATE and NAME A MUTANT HERBIVORE DINOSAUR, which will appear at the higher levels of the game. All names, colors and mutations will need to be approved by the design team (so the name and visual presentation won’t be obtrusive and can be worked into the games narrative in a logical way). Your image will appear in the Trophy Room as a member of the Research Team and your Mutated Dinosaur will appear in the trophy room right away. Backers will be able to pick their Mutant Dinosaur type from available herbivore dinosaurs on a first come, first served basis. Available types to choose from: Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Triceratops and Parasaurolophus. There are only two mutations per Dinosaur type possible.As a member of the research team, you’ll be invited to listen in on our monthly production & design meetings and also receive an exclusive DINOHUNT INC. RESEARCH TEAM VARSITY JACKET (only a small run of these beauties will be made). This tier also includes all of the items in the Gold Collector’s Edition Reward Tier. (This reward is limited to 8 backers).

• $3,000 – MUTANT DINO (CARNIVORE): At this tier, you will be considered part of the GENETIC RESEARCH TEAM, an exclusive position that grants you the ability to CREATE and NAME A MUTANT CARNIVORE DINOSAUR, which will appear at the higher levels of the game. All names, colors and mutations will need to be approved by the design team (so the name and visual presentation won’t be obtrusive and can be worked into the games narrative in a logical way). Your image will appear in the Trophy Room as a member of the Research Team and your Mutated Dinosaur will appear in the trophy room right away. Backers will be able to pick their Mutant Dinosaur type from available carnivore dinosaurs on a first come, first served basis. Available types to choose from: Ceratosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. There are only two mutations per Dinosaur type possible. As a member of the research team, you’ll be invited to listen in on our monthly production & design meetings and also receive an exclusive DINOHUNT INC. RESEARCH TEAM VARSITY JACKET (only a small run of these beauties will be made). This tier also includes all of the items in the Gold Collector’s Edition Reward Tier. (This reward is limited to 4 backers).

• $10,000 – DINOSAUR GOD: At this tier, you will be considered an angel and you will be forever in our debt. You have a unique opportunity to bring a NEW DINOSAUR TYPE INTO THE GAME along with NAMING RIGHTS. All names, colors and dinosaur types will need to be approved by the design team (so we can make sure we can properly implement him into the game). This Dinosaur will be fully interactive (you will be able to hunt him). Backers will be able to pick their new Dinosaur type on a first come, first served basis. Your image will appear in the Trophy Room as a member of the DINOSAUR DISCOVERY TEAM and your Dinosaur will appear in the trophy room immediately.You will also receive an exclusive DINOHUNT INC. DISCOVERY TEAM VARSITY JACKET (only a small run of these beauties will be made) and a HAND PAINTED ILLUSTRATION OF YOUR DINOSAUR from world renowned fantasy artist MILIVOJ ĆERAN. This is an incredible opportunity to own something unique and priceless, while becoming a part of Carnivores history. This tier also includes all of the items in the A Seat at the Table Reward Tier. (This reward is limited to 4 backers)

TGtFRpg.jpg

Stretch Goals:

Gbd6Rof.jpg

--

The PS3 version is pretty damn fun, and I would love to see this get enough funding to really expand on the stages, weapons and Dinosaurs. Dino-gaf, lets make this happen.

Stitch

Gold Member
The game is actually coming to PC anyways, even without this Kickstarter.

Hi Bjorn, the game is going to be released whether we are successful on Kickstarter or not. That's not a slight to our Backers or anything but our plan was always to release the game. We figured why not put it on Kickstarter and try and raise additional funding for more dinosaurs and weapons. We would love the opportunity to build a bigger and better game but if that doesn't happen, the game we have now is pretty sweet.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitaldreamsent/carnivores-dinosaur-hunter-reborn/comments

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
"Dinosaur Hunter Reborn" made me think it was some kind of Turok spiritual successor.

url

Cool for those who like the Carnivores series though.

JDSN

Banned
Is it weird that im prejudied against dinosaur-themed games since they always seem to have douchy studios behind them?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hmm. I'm intrigued - purchased the PS3 Carnivores on the first day of release - but my experiences with Stomping has me a bit gun shy. The amount request is raising alarm bells as well.

edit: never mind, it's the same team who worked on PS3 Carnivores. That alleviates most of my concerns. Looking good!

The way they describe it makes it sound like a simply port job of the PS3 release. I played several hours of the console version and it's alright, though it felt clunky. Personally I feel that the stretch goals should be included in the pitch considering the asking price and that it's, again, a port job.

Ozium

I want Carnivores HD on steam so bad but Jawmuncher said that Sony paid them for exclusivity?

this looks interesting..

So, I'm doing a short interview (via JurassicWorld.org) with some of the team about this game. Any key questions that the Kickstarter doesn't directly address that people would like answers to? I have a basic template of questions in mind, some fun and geared towards our primary Jurassic Park fanbase readers, but others more specifically revolving around the project and its features. If anything stands out I'll try to fit it in.

sn00zer

So, I'm doing a short interview (via JurassicWorld.org) with some of the team about this game. Any key questions that the Kickstarter doesn't directly address that people would like answers to? I have a basic template of questions in mind, some fun and geared towards our primary Jurassic Park fanbase readers, but others more specifically revolving around the project and its features. If anything stands out I'll try to fit it in.

Ask if the might include the fantastic debug cheat from the original PC game....jumping in a game has never been so fun.

For those interested, we just published our interview about this game/kickstarter. Apologies in advance for many of questions being geared towards Jurassic Park fans:

Hi! First of all, thank you for taking the time out to do this interview! I’m a huge fan of the Carnivores series- I played them on the computer when I was younger, and bought the PS3 version last year. To start, I was hoping you could tell us a little about yourselves, and your histories in the game industry.

Hi Chris, nice to hear you are a huge fan of our titles, thank you! My name is Artem Kuriavchenko, and Carnivores game back in 1998 was my first released title. I was a tool programmer for that title. All the levels, all the dinosaurs were made using my tools. After Carnivores I took part in such titles of Action Forms as Carnivores 2, Carnivores: Ice Age and Vivisector. With Vogster Entertainment I released Unbound Saga for PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360. And then worked on Carnivores HD on PS3.

Yaroslav Kravchenko is a Creative Director & Lead Designer. Yaroslav has over 17 years of professional experience. He is not only a designer but he’s also an accomplished writer and artist, and the original creator and designer of the Carnivores series. Yaroslav Kravchenko is back with the Carnivores team to make this title the best of them all. Game projects Yaroslav has worked on include: Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (aka Anabiosis), Vivesector, Chasm the Rift and of course, Carnivores and Carnivores 2.

Maxim Novikov is a Development Director. Maxim has been in the industry for 19 years and is a top notch technical guru having worked on numerous blockbuster titles including: Need for Speed: Pro-street, FIFA Street 2, SSX on Tour, CrimeCraft: Bleedout and the original Carnivores. Maxim is experienced in leading teams, development strategies, client server architecture, console and mobile platforms.

-What initially attracted you to Dinosaurs, and Dinosaur games?

YK In a young age I was very interested in prehistoric animals. I was very exited about this fantasy world that was in a past on our Earth. After watching Jurassic Park movie we decided that we want to make a game with dinosaurs. We wanted people to experience how it would be living in dinosaurs era.

-Now, can you tell us a little bit about Carnivores Dinosaur Hunter Reborn, and what you hope to achieve with the Kickstarter project?

MN We have game almost ready right now, and it looks very good on PC, but we had some many ideas that we wanted to implement and simply had no budget for. So we decided to ask our fans to help as make a better game. Another thing is that we wanted to know better what our fans want and what we need to focus on.

-What are some of the most challenging and exciting parts of this project?

AK Gameplay. Our game is a first person shooter but it’s not a typical first person shooter. We set out to create a realistic hunting game, only instead of hunting Deer, the Player is hunting Dinosaurs! It’s a slower paced game, where the Player has to track their prey, be aware of things like wind direction. Because the game is slower paced, more focused on thoughtful hunting than lightning fast reflexes for success, anyone can play this game. One of the hardest things to create is the Dinosaur behavior because nobody sees dinosaurs alive and thus we have to create such a behavior for every unseen creature and make sure not disappoint majority of gamers. Being a programmer, there's always a big wish to work on game engine or tools only, but the game experience is not about an engine.

-Our viewer-base primary consists of fans of Jurassic Park, more specifically those looking for news on the fourth film, Jurassic World. How would you pitch this project to them?

YK Imagine yourself a billionaire with the chance to travel to a distant planet in its Jurassic period and have a chance to go out, explore the world while hunting for dinosaurs. You don’t necessarily have to kill them, you can tranquilize them if you want but imagine the thrill of being in a realistic and believable, lush beautiful setting and having the opportunity to hunt a T-Rex? To be successful, you need to know the creatures tendencies and behaviors. You’ll need to track and observe them and be careful to stay downwind from them or you’ll end up as lunch. The play mechanics we have are simple but deep. Anyone can play this game as our focus is more on a realistic hunting simulation than fast reflexes.

-Any chance of “easter eggs” for the die-hard Jurassic Park fans out there? Perhaps a can of shaving cream buried in mud..

MN You never know… there just might be a shaving cream can already there :)

-Moving to the subject of the game locations, the Kickstarter mentions you may expand upon the environments to hunt in. Any chance of some Jurassic Park/Hawaii inspired landscapes? I know I would kill to explore something akin to Kualoa Ranch. Another environment I would personally like to see would be snowy, arctic tundra. It would provide a fantastic contrast to the other locales, and give great visual variety!

AK As you can see of our Stretch Goals, we plan for new level with predefined weather variations (dusk and fog). So, the new location could be a Kualoa Ranch, why not? We planned to ask backers about the setting of the new level.

MN As with all our stretch goals, the fans will decide the direction and content. However, what we think is our coolest stretch goal is, Marine Hunting. This allows Players to put on their scuba gear and hunt underwater.

-On the subject of variety, it is mentioned that you plan to possible expand upon the list of Dinosaurs available to hunt in the game. Could you elaborate further on some of the possible new additions? Also, will it be possible to bag Pteranodons as trophy Dinosaurs?

AK As you can see, first two items in Stretch Goals are dinosaurs. So, we really plan to add new creatures to our game. The dinosaurs fans want most are Velociraptors and then the Allosaurus. These two deserve unique behaviors, with each creature fine-tuned to be as realistic as possible. Raptors are small but smart and will hunt in packs. Hunting them would be like a survival mode. We plan a double-barrelled shotgun for hunting them. Allosaurus are mighty creatures that will hunt you if they notice you. They will track you from behind and then attack.
We are small indie developers and content for realistic dinosaurs is very expensive. Rather than have a large variety of dinosaurs with limited behavior and AI, our path is to make the dino AI the very best it can be. Overtime we will continue to add more dinosaurs but each dinosaur we add, needs to be unique and behave in differently from other dinosaurs in the game. As for Pterandons as trophy dinosaurs, if that’s what the fans want, well then that’s what they will get.

-Something interesting mentioned in the Kickstarter are the mutant Dinosaur reward tiers. Jurassic Park fans are no stranger to this subject matter from 1998’s Chaos Effect toy line (http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/chaos-effect/index.htm), or more recently, it was revealed one of Jurassic Worlds new Dinosaurs “Diabolus Rex” will be a genetically engineered hybrid Dinosaur. Were you at all inspired by this development to bring something similar into your game? Further, can you explain what fans can expect from the mutated Dinosaurs?

MN Yeah, those toys are pretty cool and the idea is fantastic. Our mutated dinosaurs will have the same shape as their counterparts, for example a mutant triceratops will have the same anatomical structure but the visual differences might be they may have a variety of different colors along with a glow radiating from without them. Their behaviors might be a bit more extreme and aggressive than normal. We’re still figuring this all out and will definitely tap into the Carnivores fan base to get their ideas as well. We urge anyone who is a fan of dinosaurs to please support our Kickstarter campaign so we can make this all happen.

-If the stretch goal for underwater hunting/marine reptiles is met, how would you approach that part of the game? After Jurassic World hits I am sure Mosasaur popularity will see an increase.

AK The amount of possible game modes to add to the game is huge. We started a Kickstarter campaign with few ideas behind it. One of them was to ask people to vote for what they need most. We have few replies and notes personally about underwater hunting. Having in mind that original Carnivores had this mode, underwater hunting (and thus marine creatures) is the number one mode to add to the game. And the creature to hunt to in that mode is still up to our backers.

-I have to ask- the game came out on PS3, and the Kickstarter is for a PC version. What are the chances of Xbox owners getting this game in the future? I own an Xbox One, and would love to play the game there as well!

AK I did some cross-platform development in my carrier. And I have to say it's a hard work. I think, there is a better way for small team - focus on one platform at a time. This simplifies current development and lets you add new features or fix annoying bugs when you switch to a different platform. Future ports of our game depends on the demand of our fans.

MN We want very much to put this product across all platforms and if the PC version is successful we will discuss with our licensors the possibility of making this happen.

-Once again, I want to thank you for your time! Anything else you would care to add, perhaps an additional teaser of whats to come, or an added piece of an incentive to attract potential backers and long time Carnivores fans?

AK Thank you very much for the interest to our game. It's a pleasure for us to share some new screenshots with your readers.

MN We want to urge all the readers out there who think this is a cool idea for a game to support our Kickstarter Campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitaldreamsent/carnivores-dinosaur-hunter-reborn . The game is priced very reasonably and for only $15.00 they can be hunting dinosaurs!

I need to run and walk my dog, but I'll update my post with the pictures in a bit.

Amir0x

Banned
$25,000? I don't think that's a very realistic goal for a game of any scale but it does seem like a nice concept. I don't think that's enough money though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
5 months * 5 people = 25 person-months = $1000 per person-month without including taxes, fulfillment costs, or outsourcing / music costs. No external funding listed.

Possibility A: This is a budget that does not seem realistic given the features it is attached to.

Possibility B: They have plenty of external funding and they aren't transparent about the amount of money and why they need it.

Risk rating: Medium to high.

5 months * 5 people = 25 person-months = $1000 per person-month without including taxes, fulfillment costs, or outsourcing / music costs. No external funding listed.

Possibility A: This is a budget that does not seem realistic given the features it is attached to.

Possibility B: They have plenty of external funding and they aren't transparent about the amount of money and why they need it.

Risk rating: Medium to high.

Well, to be fair, as others stated.. the Kickstarter is actually for additional content.. the base of the game is already completed, and released on the PS3. The PC version is launching regardless of the Kickstarter, but this funding will go into expanding the game and adding more features.

If they're smart about it, and I assume that like most kickstarters this is a way of gauging the audience for it anyway, they should go the same way as Expendabros and the Plague Inc planet of the apes dlc by getting a JP / Jurassic World dlc deal with Universal. The suggested release dates match up nicely for it.

Top Bottom