• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7; experimental college project or game...you decide

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
here is my 4 word review:

i'm selling this tonight

....Did you finish it so you're selling it, or did the game just disappoint you? I know you were one of the few people really looking forward to it ;_;

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm just not feeling it at all.

The art is a bit too jumbled and the gameplay is a bit too linear and , well, boring at the moment.

It doesn't help that i have a stack of other games i want to devote some time to as well.

I'm going to give it a final whirl tonight, then i'll either take it down to the local store tonight whilst i can still get almost full cash back or keep it depending on how i feel.

Personally though to anyone considering buying this, i'd call this a DEFINITE rent/try afore yee buy.

Why are you people so settled that the Gamecube's target range is so young? What do you actually base this off of? Many of you have one, and I'm assuming, we're all adults here.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I remember hearing this described as 'An interactive graphic novel'. This seems to be the case. If it's 20 notes, I may pick it up. I hear mainly positive things about it, though mainly that those expecting a 'traditional' game, should expect something more in the vein of 'interactive entertainment'.

el jacko

typhonsentra said:
Why are you people so settled that the Gamecube's target range is so young? What do you actually base this off of? Many of you have one, and I'm assuming, we're all adults here.
Yea. Don't forget, all the REs sold past 1 million worldwide, and other adult games haven't exactly bombed on the platform (Metroid Primes for one, and MGS:TTS did hit PC).

Granted, this game is gonna bomb in the end, but not because it has a misplaced audience.

Amir0x

Banned
typhonsentra said:

There is a fantastic report that you can read. It's here. It says that over 60% of the PlayStation market is comprised of people over 18. An additional 29% on top of that are 13-17. (As a interesting side note, they estimate 7.8 million "hardcore/avid" gamers in the US, making up 15% of the videogame market. They say 15% are casual/non-gamers and 70% are Mass market gamers).

In this super expensive report you could find out the Nintendo Gamecube demographic under 18. If I remember correctly, it was 56% or 58% compared to the 41% of the Sony's.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Amir0x said:
In this super expensive report you could find out the Nintendo Gamecube demographic under 18. If I remember correctly, it was 56% or 58% compared to the 41% of the Sony's.

But but but but but what about Eternal Darkness

Amir0x

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
But but but but but what about Eternal Darkness

And RE4! ;)

There's a selection of "mature" games, but the actual demographic does skew younger for obvious reasons. I mean, the system is purple!

DrLazy

Amir0x said:
And RE4! ;)

There's a selection of "mature" games, but the actual demographic does skew younger for obvious reasons. I mean, the system is purple!

OMG you mean KIDS like Nintendo games too? My god, I can't believe they're attracted to these simplistic games with fun themes made for the whole family. I hate how people refuse to acknowledge that different consoles skew to different demographics. I mean look at Sonic sales on the cube for a perfect example of fitting the demographic. Killer 7 is the opposite of that.

Oh and games without gameplay suck.

Amir0x

Banned
DrLazy said:
OMG you mean KIDS like Nintendo games too? My god, I can't believe they're attracted to these simplistic games with fun themes made for the whole family. I hate how people refuse to acknowledge that different consoles skew to different demographics. I mean look at Sonic sales on the cube for a perfect example of fitting the demographic. Killer 7 is the opposite of that.

Oh and games without gameplay suck.

Get down off the counter, dusty!

The whole point of this discussion IS that these systems skew to different demographics. Gamecube skews to a decidedly younger demographic, and PlayStation skews to a [generally] older demographic. And even then, only like 11.5% of all games are rated Mature, so it's not like it's some massive cataclysm.

DrLazy

Amir0x said:
Get down off the counter, dusty!

The whole point of this discussion IS that these systems skew to different demographics. Gamecube skews to a decidedly younger demographic, and PlayStation skews to a [generally] older demographic. And even then, only like 11.5% of all games are rated Mature, so it's not like it's some massive cataclysm.

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you. I was being sarcastic in the first couple sentences.

Amir0x

Banned
DrLazy said:
I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you. I was being sarcastic in the first couple sentences.

I realized the first few sentences was sarcasm, it just seemed you wrote a lot and the tone was negative for you to be "agreeing" with my post that you quoted :p

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
And RE4! ;)

Yeah...but games like RE4 are things you'd play when you were in Jr. High or High School. Sure it's violent, but it's still a fun pleasant video game ride which is fine for 15 year olds.

Killer 7 is just not made for teens looking for a 'fun' ride. I dunno, I keep thinking of Silent Hill 2 when I try to figure an audience for it, I mean Silent Hill 2 was about
a guy killing his wife and experience horror guilt over it which possibly leads him to drive suicidely into a lake and drown himself depending on the ending.
To me that's what I think of when I think of 'mature', especially because it wasn't straight-forward and required to audience to be intelligent individuals who could piece together the tale and understand alll the symbollism and themes running through it. Maybe it's just because my memory of my teen years is hazy, but I don't think I could've enjoyed SH2 for what it was when I was 15 and in the same train of thought I don't think teenagers will be able to follow and enjoy Killer 7 for what it is.

MrDaravon

Bebpo said:
and in the same train of thought I don't think teenagers will be able to follow and enjoy Killer 7 for what it is.

EXACTLY. People who are getting it or think it sounds "cool" because it's bloody or your character says "FUCK YOU" sometimes are completely missing the point. It's definetely not for everybody.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah...but games like RE4 are things you'd play when you were in Jr. High or High School. Sure it's violent, but it's still a fun pleasant video game ride which is fine for 15 year olds.

Killer 7 is just not made for teens looking for a 'fun' ride. I dunno, I keep thinking of Silent Hill 2 when I try to figure an audience for it, I mean Silent Hill 2 was about
a guy killing his wife and experience horror guilt over it which possibly leads him to drive suicidely into a lake and drown himself depending on the ending.
To me that's what I think of when I think of 'mature', especially because it wasn't straight-forward and required to audience to be intelligent individuals who could piece together the tale and understand alll the symbollism and themes running through it. Maybe it's just because my memory of my teen years is hazy, but I don't think I could've enjoyed SH2 for what it was when I was 15 and in the same train of thought I don't think teenagers will be able to follow and enjoy Killer 7 for what it is.

Then again I probably played Gabriel Knight around that age and that was pretty dark.

Well, yeah, I think in general you're right. I mean, I can't use myself to judge as I played mature games like described here when I was 15, but I certainly see the appeal to the mass market is significantly diminished.

I hope Killer 7 is a game that utilizes these themes in an intelligent and cohernet matter, because it sounds (from what I'm reading from you, although maybe I'm reading it wrong?) that it occasionally rambles and is perhaps way too over-the-top, like one of them bad animes.

I'll definitely give it a meaningful chance now thanks to you, though.

DCharlie

just to reiterate... RENT.

I mean - if you rent it and like it, you lose... what?.... $2?

I'd guess that most people on this board aren't going to like it, and even the ones who think they are going to like it SHOULD RENT FIRST to avoid a (potential) $30 burnination.

NOT RENTING IS DANGEROUS
IT IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS
THE MONEY OF ROOM IS WASTE WILL ALWAYS HERE
REMEMBER
I AM TRAVIS
THE GOLD HAND SPEND IS WISELY ON THE OTHER

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DCharlie said:
NOT RENTING IS DANGEROUS
REMEMBER
I AM TRAVIS

:lol :lol :lol

Ceb

Bebpo said:
I'm not comparing it to GF in puzzles. Killer 7 puzzles are linear and dumb at RE1 level for the entire game :p

I mean in terms of story and atmosphere. Also I don't mean that it's GF calibur (it's great but GF is A++), just that since GF there haven't been any really good adventure games with great atmosphere and interesting stories and that's where Killer 7 comes in. I guess I should be harder on the game because basically it's an adventure game where you just keep walking forward (sometimes backtracking slightly) and the puzzles are simple. But like I keep saying, I love adventure games so I'm very biased here, subtract a grade level or two and you'll get something more objective.

Also about the load times. The GC version loads for about 1 sec between rooms, maybe 2 secs max. It's very acceptable and would be great loading for a PS2 game. PS2 owners just get screwed in terms of load times on this game.

Seeing how you have a preference for "graphical adventures", I wonder what you thought about Demento/Haunting Ground? :) The story wasn't terribly fascinating, but the rest of it was good.

Bebpo

Banned
Ceb said:
Seeing how you have a preference for "graphical adventures", I wonder what you thought about Demento/Haunting Ground? :) The story wasn't terribly fascinating, but the rest of it was good.

Didn't try it. I liked Clock Tower 1-2 and 3 was decent but the premise of "girl and her dog running from quasimoto" didn't interest me at all. Might get it when it goes cheap.

SpokkX

DCharlie said:
NOT RENTING IS DANGEROUS
REMEMBER
I AM TRAVIS

:lol :lol

after playing the game this is very funny..

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:

Amir0x said:

Now, not to be petty, but according to you:

A. 41% of Sony's users are below 18 years of age.
B. 58% of Nintendo's users are below 18 years of age.

Yes, a larger percentage of the GC's audience consists of younger gamers. However, I don't see how the percentage difference is large enough to be as dramatic as you make out. Both skew within 9% of having just half their audiences being below 18 years. I was actually assuming a much lower percentage of GC owners being older than 18, given the way these threads always go...

Amir0x

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Now, not to be petty, but according to you:

A. 41% of Sony's users are below 18 years of age.
B. 58% of Nintendo's users are below 18 years of age.

Yes, a larger percentage of the GC's audience consists of younger gamers. However, I don't see how the percentage difference is large enough to be as dramatic as you make out. Both skew within 9% of having just half their audiences being below 18 years. I was actually assuming a much lower percentage of GC owners being older than 18, given the way these threads always go...

The difference between PS2 and Gamecube is 17%, if these percentages are still accurate. That's a pretty big and noteworthy percentage, no matter how you slice it. Essentially, 60% of PS2 users are over 18, and basically 60% of Nintendo's market is under 18.

It's never as bad as people make it out to be, of course. That's the nature of the internet.

Jonnyram

I think the issue is, in general, that videogames are mostly played by under 18s (and the lower end of the 20s before you get picky). I think this is more to do with the amout of time that you have to put into a game to get value for money out of it. If companies started releasing more <5 hour games for $20, they could capture an older audience, I believe. But 30-40 hour games at $50+ isn't going to achieve this because most adults don't have enough time on their hands.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I think the issue is, in general, that videogames are mostly played by under 18s (and the lower end of the 20s before you get picky).

Well, yeah, I was gonna get picky because according to the data (if I'm reading it right), the majority of gamers are over 18.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
Well, yeah, I was gonna get picky because according to the data (if I'm reading it right), the majority of gamers are over 18.
Well that's hardly enlightening given that the majority of the world's population is over 18. What I meant to say was kids/youths/students/other people that don't have real lives yet.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Well that's hardly enlightening given that the majority of the world's population are over 18.

It's always enlightening to know where the demographics lie ;P

Speaking of which, games need to not be so xenophobic, in terms of themes. I'd love to see games that appeal to like really old people and shit. I'm talking videogame equivalents of Murder She Wrote!

Jonnyram said:
What I meant to say was kids/youths/students/other people that don't have real lives yet.

Don't have real lives, EH? Are you saying your life is real and my 8 year old cousins life is some sort of sham? For shame, Jonnyram... for shame.

Jonnyram

Do you actually have that ridiculously expensive report?
I'd be interested how the audiences really breakdown, rather than just <18 and 18+. Do they have data for people over the age of 50 or 60?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:
The difference between PS2 and Gamecube is 17%, if these percentages are still accurate. That's a pretty big and noteworthy percentage, no matter how you slice it. Essentially, 60% of PS2 users are over 18, and basically 60% of Nintendo's market is under 18.

It's never as bad as people make it out to be, of course. That's the nature of the internet.

Still, it's not a traumatically large difference! But we haven't even taken into account the actual numbers, which make this all the more confusing... and to be really accurate, one should really factor in the age of the users when they first purchased/obtained the system.

Bah. Too much thought for the night. I think my only real point was that the statements regularly made about the GC audience seem to imply a much larger percentage of the owners being younger. Not that it makes a tremendous amount of difference with new systems coming out over the next year...

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I'm kinda interested in playing it after seeing it compared to SH2. SH2 had terrible gameplay in pretty much every facet of the game, but it was still a fantastic game.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Do you actually have that ridiculously expensive report?
I'd be interested how the audiences really breakdown, rather than just <18 and 18+. Do they have data for people over the age of 50 or 60?

Over the age of 50 is 1%. (really, 55+... I don't know how much percent out of the 36-55 age bracket is ages 50, 51, 52, 53 and 54.)

Less than 8 = 1%
8 - 12 = 18%
13-17 = 39%
18-25 = 19%
26-35 = 13%
36-55 = 10%
56+ = 1%

Comes to 101% for some reason.

Jonnyram

So it seems 25 and below makes up 76% of the audience, which is the point I was originally trying to make. Gaming is very much skewed towards younger people, but the 13-17 bracket would probably shun Nintendo quite heavily because of the kiddy stigma associated with it these days.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram, less arguing about ages and more impressions of Killer 7 please. You've had the game almost a week and no impressions yet ;_;

Ceb

pjberri said:
I'm kinda interested in playing it after seeing it compared to SH2. SH2 had terrible gameplay in pretty much every facet of the game, but it was still a fantastic game.

Can't really agree with this. I didn't play SH2 for the gameplay, but you wouldn't have gotten the same effect from, say, making it "rail-based".

SantaC

Bebpo said:
Jonnyram, less arguing about ages and more impressions of Killer 7 please. You've had the game almost a week and no impressions yet ;_;

A friend of mine got his japanese import today. I have been playing for about 2 hours with him and I think it looks promesing. The 1st person elements feels like Metroid Prime, and I have no problems with the 3rd person walking. Though it seems awkward it fits this game.

I really like how you can't save unless the girl is in her maid clothes. I also like the idea of having blood as experience points. We have been leveling up kaede so far because her zoom on the gun rocks

Damn the heaven smiles can be really annoying, it's pretty scary when they jump on your from behind :lol .

We beat the first boss, which was kinda cool actually. Oh the music has been very good so far. I am off to play some more with him later today. This game feels different but it's by no means shit or crap.

Stench

Banned
Bebpo, your adventure gaming comment sold me.

I HEREBY DECLARE: I SHALL TO BUY THIS GAME FOR, FIFTY OF VERY HARD DOLLAR - WELL-EARNED

It'd still a large number, but Nintendo's always admitted that roughly 40% are 18 and over (Although they should probably start with 17 since that's the minimum age for M-rated titles). But even then the mean age of Gamecube owners would come out to what, 15? 16? Listening to people you'd think they were shooting for the Sesame Street audience.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
woodtree.jpg

aoi tsuki

Does the game support progressive scan? It's kinda hard to believe they wouldn't considering most of the recent Capcom games have, but i haven't seen any explicite mention of it.

DCharlie

Stephen_hawking.jpg

IT IS DANGEROUS
OF THE PROGRESSIVE SCAN IT IS NOT ABOUT
THE BLEEDING OF EYE COMES TO ROOM PERSON VIEWING
IT WAS FORGOTTEN IN THE NAME UNDER HARMAN

Top Bottom