• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7; experimental college project or game...you decide

tetsuoxb

theREBELins said:
I have the game :) Been playing it for the last 2 days. I'm just re-iterating what others have said - wait until this is cheap, don't pay full price because you like nice art and shit, just go to a fucking art gallery or something.

Assuming you have a review copy, if the quality of your editorial content is reflected in the previous statement..... i shudder.

However, if you are just an importer.... then hey, reiterate as much as you want, but your opinions should be your own. Your gripe seems to be that it is a beautiful but shallow on the gameplay; however, you are getting into what is a game.

Anyways, I am off to unwrap it and give the GC version a whirl.

ourumov

All the famous Capbombs (from a whole package point of view not just sales): PN03, Chaos Legion, DMC2, Oni3, RE0 weren't that bad as people said (at least I enjoyed a lot more PN03 than Kingdom Hearts or FFTA to say a couple of praised games (perhaps not here)). That's the reason that makes me think this game could be a solid 8 for me...
Anyways I'll reiterate on what I said. When delays appear...this only means that the company is having problems...Sometimes they are just problems of resources...but others are related to the fact that the even the company has lost faith on the product.
That's what I think that happened to Killer 7.

They could have turned the game into a nice thriller with a nice story, artistic graphics and a cool soundtrack but I think that all that 7-character buzz brought the project to a no-end point...

ourumov said:
They could have turned the game into a nice thriller with a nice story, artistic graphics and a cool soundtrack but I think that all that 7-character buzz brought the project to a no-end point...

That's all I really wanted. I'd also have settled for an arcadey RE4-ish game with a simple but slick story (the initial impression I got from the first video). Capcom tried too hard to make this completely the opposite of every conventional game ever released, just for the sake of being unconventional. It's like they never stopped to consider what they were actually making, or what people would have any interest in playing. They threw a bunch of cool looking shit onto a game disc but didn't bother turning it into a game first.

The sad thing is I'll be buying the game regardless-- if only to fill the gaping hole in my gaming life that I've had for so long anticipating this fucking project.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm a huge fan of scene demos, interactive art and all that stuff, but $50 is a bit hard to swallow for something like that.

Marconelly said:
I'm a huge fan of scene demos, interactive art and all that stuff, but $50 is a bit hard to swallow for something like that.

Same here. I've always known the game would... well, suck, but that's not why I'm interested in it.

But I have to assume that Capcom knows this (okay, forget that) and release the game at a budget price. So therefor people who go "eh, that was weird, but okay for $20" instead of "WTF Capcom, $50 for this broke as shit?!" This type of attitude is sometimes why real arty-farty stuff is a big turn off; the high cost of admission for confusion.

tetsuoxb said:
Assuming you have a review copy, if the quality of your editorial content is reflected in the previous statement..... i shudder.

However, if you are just an importer.... then hey, reiterate as much as you want, but your opinions should be your own. Your gripe seems to be that it is a beautiful but shallow on the gameplay; however, you are getting into what is a game.

Anyways, I am off to unwrap it and give the GC version a whirl.

You mean I have to keep my opinions to myself? Oh noesss!!!!! Heaven forbid I don't like a game that you like. I mean fuck, go open the game and develop your own first hand opinions before getting all pissy with mine :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ourumov said:
All the famous Capbombs (from a whole package point of view not just sales): PN03, Chaos Legion, DMC2, Oni3, RE0 weren't that bad as people said (at least I enjoyed a lot more PN03 than Kingdom Hearts or FFTA to say a couple of praised games (perhaps not here)). That's the reason that makes me think this game could be a solid 8 for me...

Well, I'm still looking forward to trying out Killer 7 (should be later today!), but it just sounds like the game is pretty light on any real challenging game play. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, but I'm not expecting something like PN03 out of it.

Anyway I agree with all your points except for Chaos Legion. That really was just plain CRAP. :)

Bebpo

Banned
FortNinety said:
Same here. I've always known the game would... well, suck, but that's not why I'm interested in it.

But I have to assume that Capcom knows this (okay, forget that) and release the game at a budget price. So therefor people who go "eh, that was weird, but okay for $20" instead of "WTF Capcom, $50 for this broke as shit?!" This type of attitude is sometimes why real arty-farty stuff is a big turn off; the high cost of admission for confusion.

But the game doesn't suck. :\

I've put in another 3-4 hours and for me this will be up there when we do our top10 GoTY lists. In fact, I'm starting to lean closer to Famitsu's 36/10 review. The game is a straight-out old school adventure game kinda like 7th Guest but with excellent modern production values.

To me it feels like Silent Hilll/7th Guest meets Interstate 76 meets Lynch and I love it!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bebpo said:

I've put in another 3-4 hours and for me this will be up there when we do our top10 GoTY lists. In fact, I'm starting to lean closer to Famitsu's 36/10 review. The game is a straight-out old school adventure game kinda like 7th Guest but with excellent modern production values.

To me it feels like Silent Hilll/7th Guest meets Interstate 76 meets Lynch and I love it!

you gotta do what?

paraprap_screen005.jpg

ourumov

Anyway I agree with all your points except for Chaos Legion. That really was just plain CRAP.
I think it was better than NanoBreaker or Castlevania LOI...And probably better than the upcoming Castlevania game.
Anyways that's not saying much...Just that Koji Igarashi sucks at doing 3D games :p

You sound like if someone was pointing to you with a gun while writing this post...

SantaC

Bebpo said:

yeah I heard people say that this game gets a lot better with progression.

CO_Andy

Atmosphere goes a long way in games these days, even if they 'suck.'

Take the older Resident Evil titles for example, they're just PLAIN HORRIBLE to go back to after playing RE4, but yet after spending some time, i find myself still enticed by the game's production values.

Bebpo

Banned
On disc2 now. Still really really awesome. Although the game is pretty sick and disturbing; I'm not really a fan of films and things that make you sick to your stomach, so it kinda bothers me a bit :\

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tried it out briefly tonight...love the art style that Capcom is using. The game seems INCREDIBLY linear and almost reminds me of something like Snatcher (walk around to rooms, story, pull out gun and shoot), but fun. If the game stays that way the entire time, I don't see it being something people are going to want to play over and over again, but seems worthy enough of a purchase at full price so far.

Bebpo

Banned
btw, does anyone playing have the equipment to record some of the music? I'd really like an mp3 of the short 1min or so clubhouse song if anyone can rip it :)

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I finished the game. But because I still don't understand the plot 100% I can't really do a review yet. But here's some thoughts:

The game is an adventure click and point game. People were wondering if it's an FPS or an action game or a doctor game and here's the answer: It's an adventure game like how Silent Hill (2) is an adventure game. In fact I'd say the most similar game in existance to Killer 7 is Silent Hill 2. The main difference between Silent Hill 2 and K7 is that Killer 7 is very linear, while Silent Hill 2 is slightly less linear (you still have to go from A->B but you get to run around the city in between). Both games are horror mystery stories that are vague and provide clues through imagery, notes, and puzzling dialogue. Both have action/fighting along the way but in both games the fighting is not the main point of the game. Killer 7's battles aren't any less shallow than Silent Hill's battle engine.

Levels in Killer 7 are great, lots of a variety over a course of about 10 locations. All are filled with great art and really nice camera angles. And each place has a very different 'style' or 'feel' to it; for example one particular section of the story has no in-game cutscenes at all, instead every cutscene is shown through anime scenes by Xebec. The usage of anime cutscenes in the game is very nicely played out.

Music is just completely excellent. Whoever did the soundtrack deserves much respect for making tons of tunes that fit perfectly with the varied locations. Ambient sound effects are good too. Looking forward to the ost, although this is more the case of music that works awesome in the situations and probably isn't that listenable on a cd.

Boss fights were pretty good. Each was varied and some were a bit like RE, while others were a bit like a FPS battle.

The story is good...I think. From what I got of it, I think it could've been a little better and was less bizarre than I expected it to be; but it's still a strong plot and I need to wait until someone can explain it in deep detail to me to see if the plot holes are filled.

Length is about 15 hours, maybe a little less. The new mode when you finish it is much harder and plays slightly different, but I'm not sure if I'd want to go through a harder version. I may play the regular version again because some of the levels were darn cool and going through the 2nd time after having learned the plot twists may make things make sense in the story.

Voice acting on a whole is pretty good. I hate most english voice acting unless it's really good quality. There are a handful of bad actors, but some of the main ones are actually quite good and Cam Clarke even sings in the game and it doesn't sound half-bad!

So overall is it worth the $50? Well since the adventure genre was my favorite genre until it died and I moved to rpgs, playing an honest to goodness high budget adventure game was easily worth the $50 and much more. Seriously though this game is for a very limited crowd, everyone should thank Capcom for giving Grasshopper all this time and money to make an adventure game. This is probably the highest quality adventure game since Grim Fandango and may be the last high budget adventure game we ever see at this rate. To me Killer 7 was worth every penny that Capcom put into it, and I'm recoomending all my friends to buy the US release at launch because I'd really like the game to sell decently and make Capcom feel it wasn't such a bad idea to make an adventure game in our modern game industry. Who knows, maybe if the game does well they might actually fund another one in the future! :)

Lastly, I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad this game got ported to PS2. I don't know wtf they were thinking making this for GC because it's not for the GC age range. This is not mature like GTA or Mortal Kombat; this is very deservedly 18+ in the same way that Lost Highway or Natural Born Killers is. And it's not just because of what's shown either, in order to understand and appriciate the story you have to be pretty grown up and intelligent. Personally I'd say the target range for this game is 20+; and if it was only on the GC not that many people over 20 would give it a chance. Sure the PS2 port supposedly has shit loading, but at least it'll let people try the game out.

I'd probably give the game an A if the story completely makes sense and there are no plotholes, and a B if a lot of things are just ignored and random for no reaon other than being random. If this year wasn't filled with such AAA games like RE4 and DDS:AT2 as an adventure gamer I'd say Killer 7 would have a run for GoTY, but since there are so many AAA titles in 2005, I'll just say it'll most likely be in many top10 lists and I wouldn't be surprised to see some magazines/sites give it a 9+/10 like the Japanese scores.

Buggy Loop

Sold! Now whats the release date in NA? :p

Sounds a lot like trip game, you sit back in your sofa and enjoy a visual and sound experience, an adventure that although is linear, allows the developers to show you their vision exactly as it was meant to be.

pollo

Banned
This is probably the highest quality adventure game since Grim Fandango

grrr...that just makes me wanna shell out the full price for this game.

Sigh...ill probably do it too considering I wont have much to do july through august.

Bring on K7 :D

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I've been totally confused with these responses to Bebpo's impressions. He REALLY likes the game yet everyone was dismissing it left and right. :lol

jgkspsx

Argh. I was going to wait until the inevitable bomb, but now I feel guilty. It's also been forever since I played through an adventure game. Ah well, might as well buy one 'Cube game on release day :)

aoi tsuki

Shaheed79 said:
I've been totally confused with these responses to Bebpo's impressions. He REALLY likes the game yet everyone was dismissing it left and right. :lol
He's also one of the few people to beat it, compared to several who played it for a few minutes to an hour or so. Also...

Bebpo said:
Well since the adventure genre was my favorite genre until it died and I moved to rpgs, playing an honest to goodness high budget adventure game was easily worth the $50 and much more.

Mode

I'm playing the Japanese PS2 version right now and I'm on the 3rd mission.....

I dont know if my PS2 is on its way out, but the load times are horrendous. It loads for at least 5 seconds everytime you walk into a new room.... how fast does the GC version load? If the Famitsu guys gave both versions the same score, I figure that the GC version doesn't load that much faster because, to me at least, the load times make the game that much worse (I don't even bother picking up my dead personalities because it takes so damn long.)

The game is OK. At first, I thought this game was utter crap after playing for the first 15 minutes, but after figuring out everything, it got a little better. One of the last posters talked about an "instant win" button... when you start the game, you are given two choices, both are in japanese. The first one lets you use the "win" button, while the other one doesn't. You'll have to manually aim your gun to fight the Heaven Smiles. I'm also guessing that the 2nd one doesn't give you hints in your map as well. The puzzles are dumb. They are RE style puzzles that don't fit well in the game. I thought the boss fights were dumb as well (at least they're varied), but hey, there's not much you can do when you're on rails I guess.

I'm kinda regretting picking up the Japanese version. I thought the speech would be in full APPREHENSIBLE english, but talking to those guys during the mission, you can't understand what they're trying to tell you. I dunno, I probably should have waited for the US GC version. Like I said, the game's OK, but I think I would like it a lot better if the load times were faster and less frequent and if I actually could read the text.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
his is probably the highest quality adventure game since Grim Fandango and may be the last high budget adventure game we ever see at this rate.
Woah there. Those are some big words. You can't be telling me that the puzzles for example in this game, are as good as those in Grim Fandango?

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, calling it the best adventure game since Grim Fandango is setting me up for disappointment as that is one of the best games of all time.

I'm very skeptical still. Bebpo's comments make me... more curious and willing to give it a worthwhile chance. Definitely be pickin' this up like demi for 20 bucks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, GF had a great story, lovable characters, great puzzles. Just about everything.

I dont know if my PS2 is on its way out, but the load times are horrendous. It loads for at least 5 seconds
At E3, I was watching it being played on PS2 and it seemeed like load times were more like 2 or 3 seconds. The game works from HDD, so that's a relief.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm not comparing it to GF in puzzles. Killer 7 puzzles are linear and dumb at RE1 level for the entire game :p

I mean in terms of story and atmosphere. Also I don't mean that it's GF calibur (it's great but GF is A++), just that since GF there haven't been any really good adventure games with great atmosphere and interesting stories and that's where Killer 7 comes in. I guess I should be harder on the game because basically it's an adventure game where you just keep walking forward (sometimes backtracking slightly) and the puzzles are simple. But like I keep saying, I love adventure games so I'm very biased here, subtract a grade level or two and you'll get something more objective.

Also about the load times. The GC version loads for about 1 sec between rooms, maybe 2 secs max. It's very acceptable and would be great loading for a PS2 game. PS2 owners just get screwed in terms of load times on this game.

CO_Andy

Bebpo said:
Lastly, I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad this game got ported to PS2. I don't know wtf they were thinking making this for GC because it's not for the GC age range. This is mature like GTA or Mortal Kombat...
Am cry :(

Thanks for the impressions all.

This thread has been pretty friggin' funny:

Dude 1: ... All in all, it's a really fun game, I'm having a really good time with it.
Dude 2: HA HA! I knew it would suck!
Dude 1: It doesn't suck... it's pretty fun.
Dude 3: Right when it was announced it had "BOMBA" written all over it.
Dude 1: Hello? I like the game a lot!
Dude 4: This game had so much potential... it's a shame it sucks.
Dude 1: ...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bebpo said:
Lastly, I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad this game got ported to PS2. I don't know wtf they were thinking making this for GC because it's not for the GC age range. This is mature like GTA or Mortal Kombat; this is very deservedly 18+ in the same way that Lost Highway or Natural Born Killers is. And it's not just because of what's shown either, in order to understand and appriciate the story you have to be pretty grown up and intelligent. Personally I'd say the target range for this game is 20+; and if it was only on the GC not that many people over 20 would give it a chance. Sure the PS2 port supposedly has shit loading, but at least it'll let people try the game out.

I'd probably give the game an A if the story completely makes sense and there are no plotholes, and a B if a lot of things are just ignored and random for no reaon other than being random. If this year wasn't filled with such AAA games like RE4 and DDS:AT2 as an adventure gamer I'd say Killer 7 would have a run for GoTY, but since there are so many AAA titles in 2005, I'll just say it'll most likely be in many top10 lists and I wouldn't be surprised to see some magazines/sites give it a 9+/10 like the Japanese scores.

TEH MATURE!!!!1111

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
positive impressions or not, it still has bomba written all over it

DUDE 3 IS RIGHT

even the people interested in the game in this thread are waiting for the $20 price drop

Odnetnin

Banned
IAmtheFMan said:
Thanks for the impressions all.

This thread has been pretty friggin' funny:

Dude 1: ... All in all, it's a really fun game, I'm having a really good time with it.
Dude 2: HA HA! I knew it would suck!
Dude 1: It doesn't suck... it's pretty fun.
Dude 3: Right when it was announced it had "BOMBA" written all over it.
Dude 1: Hello? I like the game a lot!
Dude 4: This game had so much potential... it's a shame it sucks.
Dude 1: ...

funny because its true. Thanks for all the posts Bebpo. Sold me on the game

john tv

Watched DCharlie play this yesterday for a while, and...I dunno what to say. It looked like shit to me. There's almost zero gameplay whatsoever. I'm usually in agreement with Bebpo on most games, but I guess it's not gonna happen this time. :)

For $10, I -might- be willing to give it another try. I can't see ever paying any more than that though.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I expect to be alone on liking this for the most part ^^; I have no problem with shallow gameplay if the story/presentation is interesting and has me glued to my seat. I play enough games filled with deep gameplay that some light stuff here and there fits in fine :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Bebpo said:
Yeah I expect to be alone on liking this for the most part ^^;

You're not, but you might be alone on posting about it at this stage.

K7's a tough sell, because for every person that appreciates Capcom intentionally funded a big-budget interactive movie aimed at cult success - nothing 'went wrong' during development other than rewrites and a switch to slightly more abstract gore - there'll be twice as many disappointed that Capcom intentionally funded a big-budget interactive movie, when that money could have gone to a more predictable title. Kobayashi dodged the question of how he thinks that'll affect its reception, although he could have got away with saying hey, there's always Dawn Of Dreams, suckers.

It's not about being different for the sake of being different - it's simple for the sake of being simple, although if the lock-and-key puzzles were a little smarter it certainly wouldn't have hurt. But then, lock-and-key puzzles were never too smart to begin with.

Although the game is pretty sick and disturbing; I'm not really a fan of films and things that make you sick to your stomach, so it kinda bothers me a bit :\

Yeah. If nothing else (and there's a lot else) one section in particular does sheer nails-down-a-blackboard nastiness better than any Resident Evil or Silent Hill game ever has.

SpokkX

Mode said:
At first, I thought this game was utter crap after playing for the first 15 minutes, but after figuring out everything, it got a little better.

yeah it sucks bigtime at first.. when you grasp the control and the wierd system it is actually kind of fun.. interesting at least.. will have to get the us version.. since i don´t get the story at all..

game seems lika a anime david lynch movie.. with wierd puzzles and wierd control

strangely appealing though.. since you just want to see what happens next

first impressions:

hardly goty material, but really interesting

Top Bottom