• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7; experimental college project or game...you decide

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wario64 said:
what's with the comparisons to pn03...pn03 at least requires skills. this game has a "win button" :p

PN03 (which rocks!!) because it sounds like a game that will be largely ignored and/or hated by most people. Oh and because it too will bomb. :D

PN03 certainly seems better than Killer 7 does from what you guys are posting, that's for sure. In fact just take the "FUCK YOU!" cries from enemies and give them to the robots in PN03, and you'll have a much better game.

123rl

Well at least you're all waiting to see it for yourself before deciding whether or not it's any good. Hell, I bet most of you decided months ago that you were going to hate it and refuse to change your mind. If so then I gotta ask: wtf are you replying to this topic for if you have no interest in the game?

bitwise

Banned
123rl said:
Well at least you're all waiting to see it for yourself before deciding whether or not it's any good. Hell, I bet most of you decided months ago that you were going to hate it and refuse to change your mind. If so then I gotta ask: wtf are you replying to this topic for if you have no interest in the game?

actually a lot of us were interested and even more so after that famitsu score it got

but now we get the real deal from people who've been playing it, and its rather disappointing. We arent supposed to comment?

Mrbob

123rl said:

WB-PVM03015.jpg

This is the first thread with some real, concrete info on the game besides a bunch of scores.

golem

:lol ... this game actually is starting to sound kinda interesting to me, i like a game that tells a good, wierd story, will wait for price drop and online coupon

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
123rl said:

well the level of interest in Killer 7 when it was announced in 2002 was pretty high. but as time progressed, people started to wonder what the fuck the game is suppose to be. first person shooter? resident evil clone? i'm sure there's still some people who are still confused about the gameplay (at least until they read bebpo's impressions). in any case, as time progressed, it seemed people were starting to get skeptical about the game and interest for the game dying.

believe me, i am very interested in this game. but if you don't think this game is gonna bomb, well...haha.

Odnetnin

Banned
Bebpo said:
I'm having a good time playing it and certain things have made me smile and laugh a bit. It's really addictive and if I didn't have work tomorrow I'd probably play the entire thing straight through. But for those looking for a RE4 experience or DMC3 or anything gameplay related are gonna be let down. It's a walk around and solve simple RE-style puzzles while going through cool levels game with a little bit of easy shooting to keep things interesting. I don't expect a great plot as it's a Capcom game, nor do I expect great dialogue sequences as it's a Capcom Jpn game with English voices. Yet take it for what it is and it's good stuff; the Famitsu guy who gave it a 10/10 was crazy, but since I enjoy oddball attempts at unique art pieces it's easily a strong 8-9/10 so far.

sounds great. I don't understand the hate.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Odnetnin said:
sounds great. I don't understand the hate.

That's because there is no hate. The game sounds incredibly shallow from what people are playing it have said. People would rather wait for it to be cheaper. This is hate?

SantaC

Lyte Edge said:
That's because there is no hate. The game sounds incredibly shallow from what people are playing it have said. People would rather wait for it to be cheaper. This is hate?

I have actually heard some good impressions of it also.

123rl

Wario64 said:
well the level of interest in Killer 7 when it was announced in 2002 was pretty high. but as time progressed, people started to wonder what the fuck the game is suppose to be. first person shooter? resident evil clone? i'm sure there's still some people who are still confused about the gameplay (at least until they read bebpo's impressions). in any case, as time progressed, it seemed people were starting to get skeptical about the game and interest for the game dying.

believe me, i am very interested in this game. but if you don't think this game is gonna bomb, well...haha.

And that's part of the problem. Most people refuse to play something now unless it can be pigeon-holed into a genre. Something comes along that's genuinely different (like Killer 7) and people - not necessarily anyone in particular on here, but in general - think it's a gimmick or not even a game because it's doing something new. It's people like this responsible for all the insecurity in the industry that leads to fewer and fewer original games like Killer 7

And I'm sure it won't sell well. It's got niche classic written all over it, IMO. People see it's celshaded and think it's kiddy. If it's not that then they see it's for the GC and think it's childish. If it's not then they see it's not got a franchise attached to it, so they don't bother. I don't care if it bombs - as long as I enjoy it then I'll be happy. Why should its popularity have an impact on how I enjoy a game?

Bebpo

Banned
123rl said:
And I'm sure it won't sell well. It's got niche classic written all over it, IMO. People see it's celshaded and think it's kiddy. If it's not that then they see it's for the GC and think it's childish. If it's not then they see it's not got a franchise attached to it, so they don't bother. I don't care if it bombs - as long as I enjoy it then I'll be happy. Why should its popularity have an impact on how I enjoy a game?

Yay, someone who understands.

From a business perspective, Killer 7 is bad because it's not going to sell much anywhere and they've sunk money it in for years.

From a consumer perspective, Killer 7 is great because it's a refreshingly original game that most companies won't make since no money will come from it.

At the end of the day I think Killer 7 is an almost unscorable game. You'll see pretty wide ranging scores because if you take it apart piece by piece it might get low scores, but in the end if you enjoy it and it's something new you want to give it good scores. It's not even like the game is 'flawed', the systems were built that way because that's the type of game they wanted to create. So taking away points because it's too easy, or because you can't actually move around is a bit unfair. The game is meant as an interactive visual novel with a good chunk of game thrown in. Personally I enjoy interactive forms of art(although Electroplankton is still a bit too shallow), and so I like the game. Though many will hate it. The game will end up being a cult classic for a small group of people although I wouldn't compare it to PN03 since it's a complete 180 from that game in design.

SantaC

Bebpo said:
Yay, someone who understands.

From a business perspective, Killer 7 is bad because it's not going to sell much anywhere and they've sunk money it in for years.

From a consumer perspective, Killer 7 is great because it's a refreshingly original game that most companies won't make since no money will come from it.

At the end of the day I think Killer 7 is an almost unscorable game. You'll see pretty wide ranging scores because if you take it apart piece by piece it might get low scores, but in the end if you enjoy it and it's something new you want to give it good scores. It's not even like the game is 'flawed', the systems were built that way because that's the type of game they wanted to create. So taking away points because it's too easy, or because you can't actually move around is a bit unfair. The game is meant as an interactive visual novel with a good chunk of game thrown in. Personally I enjoy interactive forms of art(although Electroplankton is still a bit too shallow), and so I like the game. Though many will hate it. The game will end up being a cult classic for a small group of people although I wouldn't compare it to PN03 since it's a complete 180 from that game in design.

is the soundtrack for this game out yet? I want it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SantaCruZer said:
is the soundtrack for this game out yet? I want it.

Killer7 Original Sound Track
Catalogue Number SCDC-00451~2
Publisher Scitron
Composition Masafumi Takada
First Printing July 20, 2005

Katamari's soundtrack comes out the same day too

Akia

Well I'm definatly going to play the game. I don't know about buying it. I wouldn't want my 11 year old brother accidentally playing it. But it got my VOTE.

Krowley

the more i hear about this game the more interested i become, mainly because of the "wtf??1!!?" factor.

people will list all the gameplay details, and just reading it, it sounds like ass, but then they usually finish their impressions talking about how much they're loving it so far, and i'm left wondering why.

it sounds like the kind of game that will have reviews all over the spectrum... some will give it bad scores because the gameplay is so shallow. others will give it extremly high scores because it's original and so unusual that it's as much a work of interactive art as a game, and some people really appreciate that kind of thing... i'm not sure if i would appreciate it or not. I like a lot of ultra wierd movies, but i haven't had much expierience with games like this. i'm interested, maybe even enough to pay full price, but i'm gonna read a ton of reviews first.

el jacko

Phoenix Dark said:
This game looks like crap and most certainly plays like crap as well. I wouldn't be suprised if the box stunk too. BOMBA
We've already seen the boxarts and they're decent (US) to awesome (JPN). And it sounds like it'll be really out there and good (note he calls it an "8-9" game). But hey, what would he know? He only played it.

(of course, the "looks like crap" bit is your opinion, I won't touch on that)

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:
How's the language barrier in the J-version?

Moderate.

For the most part you need to read the Japanese subs (which don't pause at the end of a line) to understand the majority of the dialogue because the voiced script is not gonna help. But for the main human/human dialogue scenes since they speak normal english following the main story doesn't require too much.

Notes (like RE diary entries) are all Japanese but they have full furigana so it's pretty low-level.

I'd probably just go with the US version because it requires less thinking since it's in our native langauge.

el jacko said:
We've already seen the boxarts and they're decent (US) to awesome (JPN). And it sounds like it'll be really out there and good (note he calls it an "8-9" game). But hey, what would he know? He only played it.

(of course, the "looks like crap" bit is your opinion, I won't touch on that)

I was refering to the smell of the box, lol.

john tv

Bebpo said:
Moderate.

For the most part you need to read the Japanese subs (which don't pause at the end of a line) to understand the majority of the dialogue because the voiced script is not gonna help. But for the main human/human dialogue scenes since they speak normal english following the main story doesn't require too much.

Notes (like RE diary entries) are all Japanese but they have full furigana so it's pretty low-level.

I'd probably just go with the US version because it requires less thinking since it's in our native langauge.
Hmm. But if I get it, I want to try to beat it and sell it off quick, which means a US version is out of the question, since their resale market is total shit.

What do you think? How many hours will it take to finish?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Didn't Bebpo say he was enjoying the game? I can see if he admitted the game was shit but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Instant 20buck purchase for me.

MrDaravon

It's a good and interesting fun game, but it's very straightforward and easy. This is a must buy at 20 dollars, but I don't know if I can see myself spending a full 50 at US release. Total love or hate game really.

Kakusha

john tv said:
Hmm. But if I get it, I want to try to beat it and sell it off quick, which means a US version is out of the question, since their resale market is total shit.

What do you think? How many hours will it take to finish?

Kobayashi said it'd take over 30 hours to complete the game.
As for replay value, we unlock a secret mode for finishing once.
It's also said that it'd be mainly for the story that we'd play again
since the ending seems to leave many questions unanswered.
Those are to be found on 2nd playthrough. Although the text remains the same,
there will be lots of important clues all over, wich don't seem to have any relevance at first.

:D

Bebpo

Banned
Kakusha said:
Kobayashi said it'd take over 30 hours to complete the game.

I hope not! I like the game, but I can't see it sustaining itself over 30 hours of playtime. Hopefully it's more like RE4 length (13-17). Also I need to get back to NamcoxCapcom so I wanna finish K7 this weekend :p

duckroll

The more I hear about this game, the more it sounds like something I have no interest in really playing. As I expected from Grasshopper, it's a thinly veiled arty-farty attempt at... I dunno what. The only reason I'll pick up this game is to show my friends what a dumbass game Capcom released with a guy that goes "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU" as you fire bullets at retarded looking enemies. Unless of course the plot is really AWESOME, but considering it uses text-to-voice babelfished voices, I'm not sure how serious they even are at telling a decent story instead of just being weird.

I don't think this is about how the market needs fresh new ideas, there are plenty of fresh new ideas that are also fun games. We don't need fresh new ideas which are actually rejects from the shitpile of yesterday given flesh as a current-gen game. :p

MrDaravon

Definite buy cheap. Full price buy is iffy, some people will love it and would gladly plunk down 50, others will feel jipped. If it actually has 30 hours of gameplay I'd say full price buy yes, but I can't possibly see it lasting that long unless there really are a lot of extras o_o.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
The more I hear about this game, the more it sounds like something I have no interest in really playing. As I expected from Grasshopper, it's a thinly veiled arty-farty attempt at... I dunno what. The only reason I'll pick up this game is to show my friends what a dumbass game Capcom released with a guy that goes "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU" as you fire bullets at retarded looking enemies. Unless of course the plot is really AWESOME, but considering it uses text-to-voice babelfished voices, I'm not sure how serious they even are at telling a decent story instead of just being weird.

I don't think this is about how the market needs fresh new ideas, there are plenty of fresh new ideas that are also fun games. We don't need fresh new ideas which are actually rejects from the shitpile of yesterday given flesh as a current-gen game. :p

Errrr, yea it's most likely not a game for you. You didn't like Gungrave, and you're not a fan of projects where the presentation is more important than the gameplay. Which is also where the majority of game buyers fall and thus the game is doomed financially.

But that doesn't mean they should stop making games like this, it just means that the games are made for a small niche of people who like them rather than the average gamer.

Bebpo said:
--I gotta wonder if this game will be uncensored in the US. Not only is it pretty gory, but each character has a tag line they yell when you kill an enemy and one guys is "YOUR FUCKED" and anothers is "FUCK YOU". So when you're shooting a room full of enemies all you hear is "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU".

That sounds more dorky and (typical Capcom) forced "cool" than it sounds offensive.

I watched Killer 7 being played by others at E3. After a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that it was an "on-rails action game" and walked away sold on the premise. Looking forward to it.

This could have a chance in America still, just take out big print ads and commercials. All they'd need to say is

Killer 7
"FUCK YOU!"

You know it'd be a million seller just like that.

tetsuoxb

Guys.... a little reality check here....

Most of the really really weird stuff is Goichi Suda's doing. He works for grasshopper.

I know it is easier to say Capcom this and Capcom that..... but this game has some serious auteurism going on, and I think it is safe to say Suda 51 strikes again.
-----

Im off to buy this right now, and I will come back with impressions later.... however, let me state my bias now.

I like post-mod.
I like art house.
I like experimentation in games.

john tv

tetsuoxb said:
Guys.... a little reality check here....

Most of the really really weird stuff is Goichi Suda's doing. He works for grasshopper.

I know it is easier to say Capcom this and Capcom that..... but this game has some serious auteurism going on, and I think it is safe to say Suda 51 strikes again.
-----

Im off to buy this right now, and I will come back with impressions later.... however, let me state my bias now.

I like post-mod.
I like art house.
I like experimentation in games.
You forgot one kinda important bias... ;p

I feel sorry for the fuckers who spend full price on this game because they like the art style or love supporting 'original' titles - the game is balls.

tetsuoxb

Considering you live in Canada and dont even have the game.... Id suggest posting on gamefaqs, as that is about the intellectual level of this post.

tetsuoxb said:
Considering you live in Canada and dont even have the game.... Id suggest posting on gamefaqs, as that is about the intellectual level of this post.

I have the game :) Been playing it for the last 2 days. I'm just re-iterating what others have said - wait until this is cheap, don't pay full price because you like nice art and shit, just go to a fucking art gallery or something.

Top Bottom