• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for folks, in the webm above as part of the 'In The Woods' update where they are showing off the new dualies aiming, is that a new sound for the standard 9mm gun ? Sounds louder with more oomph.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Quick question for folks, in the webm above as part of the 'In The Woods' update where they are showing off the new dualies aiming, is that a new sound for the standard 9mm gun ? Sounds louder with more oomph.

Yup! They hired a new audio engineer around the time the Incinerate & Detonate update dropped due to the various complaints about audio issues. You can already hear some of their work in game now with a tweaked set of Siren sounds. Guns are getting overhauled, and the Fleshpound may be getting all new sounds and spoken lines of dialog with the upcoming update. Eventually, every sound should be reworked to fit the cleaner audio design they're working on.

Love the heat stains and finger prints.

The attention to detail is amazing. I can't think of many other games that would think about oddities on a gun's finish like that.

Lum1n3s

I stopped playing/following Killing Floor 2 a month after it came out because of the lack of maps and perks plus, finding out that every Stat was going to be reset once it releases kind of irked me. Any new updates on that actually happening? Is Demo out already?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I stopped playing/following Killing Floor 2 a month after it came out because of the lack of maps and perks plus, finding out that every Stat was going to be reset once it releases kind of irked me. Any new updates on that actually happening? Is Demo out already?

Demolitions and firebug are already out, as well as 3-4 new maps since you last played. There also is no stat reset happening, they announced a few months ago, they were able to sort it out, they announced it at last E3.

KarmaCow

Demo came out in the last update along with the Firebug perk.

Unfortunately Demo sucks unless they reworked it since the initial launch.

Demo came out in the last update along with the Firebug perk.

Unfortunately Demo sucks unless they reworked it since the initial launch.

Demo sucks at low level then jumps straight into OP AS LIVING FUCK at 25

I just hit 25 with my support class, put 72 hours in so far, can't wait for Gunslinger to drop

Bluebomberimo

Neo Member
Man watching Berserkers in this game lately has been a total blast, I can't imagine how satisfying it must be to knock big enemies on their butts. Also has anyone else noticed sweet spots with some enemies? I recently learned that shooting Skrakes in their knees and back can cause them to stumble more often which can be REALLY helpful.

I'm certainly looking forward to Gunslinger coming out, any guestimate for when the next update is coming out or are we still going with "around Christmas"?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Demo sucks at low level

Disagree strongly. Demo is OP as fuck from the get-go. The starting grenade pistol is REALLY good for trash. The problem is the random times when it doesn't clear trash/aggros' the bigger enemies that you're explosive killing behind the bigger specimens and that low level not having enough damage resistance to tank the bigger specimen you pissed off.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Some new information on the mystery achievements added a few weeks ago, two Webms showcasing the incredibly detailed feel of dual wielding, and a new character!

WWAUT - Down The Sights

Since the last time I showed off the Gunslinger weapon set we have been bringing them online. Today I want to show off the 1858 revolvers as well as the Desert Eagle in game! These are to be considered near final in terms of animation and effects (but some work may still be ongoing).

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/111315/m1856.webm

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/111315/deserteagle.webm

Last week some eagle-eyed members of the community may have noticed that the character who I used had some new arms. Today you have all also heard his voice. I can now confirm the latest addition to the Killing Floor 2 player roster as Oisten Jaegerhorn!

jaegerhorn.png

Jaegerhorn's face is modeled off of Jeremiah Scott who is a guitarist for the band Demon Hunter and also co-wrote and recorded several of the songs from the Killing Floor 2 soundtrack. This Swedish Viking brings just the right amount of Heavy and Metal to the fight against the Zed hordes! He’ll be available for free to everyone who “follows” us on the KF2 Steam Community page (http://steamcommunity.com/app/232090/allnews/ and click the “Follow” button!). Make sure you hit that “Follow” button - so long as you are “Following” KF2, you will have Jaegerhorn available to you.

To top things off for today I would like to talk about those new achievements that many of you have been wondering about. As part of the update we are working towards we are doing a first pass at non map achievements. Including the achievements for the new maps, players will be soon be able to work towards:
Perk Rank Achievements unlocked at:
Level 5
Level 10
Level 15
Level 20
Level 25 for each perk
The Hot Shot Achievements
Win a match on every difficulty with each perk

As we move forward we are planning to add more unique, fun and challenging achievements for players to chase.

This game still feels so very far from what we all want Killing Floor 2 to be it is hard to not feel at least a little frustrated when the latest update isn't a new class or map. That said, I can't imagine that these crates will cause a negative impact on the development cycle or overall balancing of this game. Hopefully, if Overkill find they are turning a healthy profit on these skins, then it will inspire them to make the new content a little bit nippier.

spiritfox

Q: Does this mean free updates are over? Are you going to stop releasing free content?
A: No. Our plan is to continue updating Killing Floor 2 for years just as we did for Killing Floor 1. We will continue to add new perks, new maps, new zeds and other content we come up with for free. Just as the DLC in the first game, the money made on these items goes towards creating new (free) content, events and whatever else we can dream up for you!

Q: Do weapon skins adjust stats of a weapon?
A: No, they are purely cosmetic.

Q: Why are you selling content in Early Access?
A: We view the Trading Floor as a feature that needs iteration just like the rest of the features in the game. Early Access is the perfect place to iterate on the Trading Floor feature with the community.

Q: Am I forced to participate in the Trading Floor Zed-conomy?
A: No, this feature is completely optional and you can play Killing Floor 2 and completely ignore it. You will, however, receive free item drops during gameplay that you can use, trade or market. Or completely ignore.

Q: Will Killing Floor 2 become free to play?
A: We don’t have any current plans to take Killing Floor 2 free to play. As with KF1 our plan is for the Trading Floor to fund future free content and seasonal events available for all players for years to come.

Q: Will all items in the Zed-Conomy drop for free?
A: No. Some items will be only available from opening crates and Encrypted Weapon Skin USBs. Also some items will only drop for free and not be inside any crate. Finally some items will be available from the in game store that will not drop for free or be in a crate.

Q: Are there consumable items that temporarily boost a stat or perk experience gain?
A: No. There are not currently any items that will boost stats or perk experience gain. We will be listening to player feedback on whether they would like a feature like this.

Q: Will I have to spend money to remain competitive?
A: No. All of the content added in Trading Floor at launch will be cosmetic only and not affect gameplay in any way. In the future we may be adding weapons with new gameplay for sale, but this will appear in the “Shared Content” area on the server. This means that, if any player on the server has a weapon (like the Chivalry Zweihander now), then every player on the server will be able to use it. No-one gets any “advantage”. Co-op game - everyone starts out equal! Our goal is for any such weapons to be side grades anyway, so they won’t provide an edge over the current tier of weapon power.

Some FAQs about the update. It seems they're going out of their way to reassure they're not making KF2 P2W. I just hope they can keep their word. The Zweihander is already a major issue they need to look at, or make it less overpowered.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem isn't the existence of microtransactions in of itself, it's just that they put it while still being EA.

Game already has more content than the launch version of KF1, so I'm not particularly bothered. Just give me my Christmas zombies/map next month (and maybe a new class if you're feeling generous, Tripwire) and I am a-ok with this stuff.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Patriarch is comin to town:

BHnJKXG.jpg

When the Patriarch finally lands at the end of a game, he’s a towering pile of flesh and circuitry. He absorbs a lot of damage, sure, but that’s par for the course with Killing Floor bosses. Patriarch is in many ways the same character from KF1, but he’s learned some new tricks. When he spots players hiding from his rocket launcher attacks, for example, he turns the launcher into a mortar and lobs rockets up and over players’ cover.

His invisibility power is back, too, but he uses it in more interesting ways. Rather than simply a tool for retreat, the Patriarch uses his invisibility to attack unpredictably. Now when players lose sight of Patriarch they can’t be completely sure: did he run away to heal, or is he about to pounce on them from behind?

More importantly, however players beat Patriarch will be a very different approach from how they attack Hans, the current final boss in Killing Floor 2. Any map will have a 50/50 chance of spawning Hans or the Patriarch, and that uncertainty is part of Tripwire’s strategy for giving players an ongoing tactical puzzle.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
WIP Patchnotes. The update is not live, but this gives the community a heads up on incoming changes.

Zerker, Demo and Medic nerfs, UI and audio tweaks, and more!

New Perk:

• Gunslinger

New Weapons

• Remington Army Model 1858 revolver (single/dual)
  • M1911 pistol (single/dual)
  • Desert Eagle (single/dual)
  • .500 Magnum Zed Collector revolver (single/dual)
  • Nailbomb Grenade

New Maps

• Black Forest
  • Farmhouse

New Character

• Oisten Jaegerhorn - obtained by being part of the KF 2 Steam Community

New Features

• New Boss - Patriarch - What have you done to his children?
  • Full Steam Mod Workshop Support
  • Upload or subscribe to your favorite mods and maps as a client!
  • Servers can subscribe to and stay up to date when the maps and mods change!
  • Clients will automatically download maps directly from Steam workshop for servers that are subscribed to workshop maps
  • New dual pistol aiming style (centered), toggle by alt fire
  • Body flashlights
  • Zed-Conomy and Trading Floor Store
  • Server Welcome Screen - brand your server with an image, website link, and message of the day

Improvements and Additions
General

• Updated controller scheme
  • Reduced the amount of map collectables needed to unlock achievements
  • Physics is now more prominent on dead players
  • When players are killed they take into account the velocity of the attack that killed them. Player ragdolls fly through the air, splat against walls, make crunching sounds when they impact, and leave behind bloodstains.
  • Added many new achievements
  • Perk Rank Up Achievement set - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25
  • Perk Hot Shot Achievement set - Beat each difficulty as a particular perk

Perk Changes and Additions

Berserker

• Fortitude skill changed to 75% health increase (previously 100%)
  • Vampire skill increased by 1 health per kill (now 4 instead of 3)
  • Smash does 25% extra damage (down from 100%)

Demolitions

• Nuke radius reduced

Medic

• Armament 25% less effective heal and will heal 1% armor (down from 10% less effective and 2% armor)
  • Vaccination Now grants 2% armor (down from 4%)
Gunslinger
  • Lvl 5
  • Scoot ‘n’ Shoot - Move 50% faster in iron sights with reduced weapon bob
  • Quick Draw - 50% faster weapon switch, automatic weapon switch if you run out of ammo
  • Lvl 10
  • Rack ‘em Up - Consecutive headshots increase damage by 5% up to 75% (missing head shots drops 5%)
  • Bone Breaker - 20% more damage with gunslinger weapons
  • Lvl 15
  • Advanced Techniques - 20% faster reload
  • Penetration - Increased zed penetration by 1 extra zed
  • Lvl 20
  • Center Mass - Chest shots have 30% more stumble power
  • Leg Shots - SHots to the legs have 30% more knockdown power when zeds are sprinting
  • Lvl 25
  • Fanfire - Shoot 3x faster in Zed time
  • Uber Ammo - Never run out of ammo in Zed time

Zed Changes
  • Added cinematic camera and new boss intro and victory animations for both bosses.
  • Hans taunts will now shoot guns in the air with fx and sounds.
  • Stalker now fades in and out of cloak
  • Addressed surrounding Hans exploit - when surrounded Hans gas will now do more damage and has some explosive power

Weapon Changes
  • Players will now default to centered aiming with dual pistols (based on community voting) and can now switch to the offset aiming with the alt fire key (default middle mouse).
  • Increased ammo pickup amounts on certain weapons (boomstick, flamethrower, microwave gun, RPG-7) to get them more consistent across the board
  • Zweihander Damage Reduced
  • Heavy attacked reduced to 195(previously 290)
  • Standard attack reduced to 85 (previously 90)
  • Bash damage reduced to 63 (previously 120)

UI/Effects
  • New audio sliders
  • Master Volume
  • SFX Volume
  • Dialog Volume

New controller options

• Aimed sensitivity
  • Aim Assist lock-on
  • Aim Assist Rotation
  • Aim Assist Slowdown
  • Vibration

New mouse options
  • Aimed Sensitivity
  • Mouse Smoothing

New Keyboard options
  • Last Used Weapon

Trader Menu
  • Off Perk weapons now show at the bottom of each specific perk list
  • Added icons to MAG and FILL buttons to better clarify what they do for new players

Improved using the Trader menu with controllers
  • Bumpers now swap between PERKS, TYPE, FAVORITES, and ALL
  • Triggers now swap between perk/weapon type subcategory
  • Pressing left/right on l-stick will swap between the TRADER's inventory and yours, respectively

Improved the overall look and functionality of the main menu
  • Removed the 3d transform on main menus to make better use of the space
  • Moved the menu bar to the very top for easier navigation
  • Added an orange highlight state for better highlighting
  • Moved the player character to center of screen
  • Darkened the black background of all UI assets to better stand out
  • General spacing tweaks to keep all UI assets on a grid
  • Remade and resized controller icons for better visibility
  • Supplier-type perk talents (Support: Supplier, Demolitionist: Grenade Supplier) now show an icon over the squadmate who has an active supplier skill available to the player

Audio
  • New 9mm sounds
  • Added Hans Entry and Victory sounds
  • Modifications to reverb system to increase clarity
  • Continued improvements to game mix
  • Added a Voice volume slider
  • Performance improvements
  • Improved player impact sounds for better feedback
  • Added random sound position emitter functionality
  • Added functionality to attach sounds to particle FX

Map Exploit Fix
  • Burning Paris catwalk exploit

Editor
  • Added default material for custom terrain materials

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed AI not attacking players blocking them from their original target
  • Fixed AI attack and pathing near corners
  • Fixed clots clipping into walls when stumbled
  • Fixed tracers not colliding with walls
  • Fixed fleshpound sound loop at the point of its death
  • Fixed player battle chatter echo still being audible with battle chatter set to 0
  • Fixed several battle chatter lines that were cut short
  • Fixed weapon recoil being different offline vs online
  • Several other minor bug fixes

Known Issue
  • The first time a server subscribes to workshop content it will shut down and need to be restarted. When maps are updated the server will also need to be restarted. We recommend a Server Guardian script for auto restarts.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
KF 1015: Return of the Patriarch - Available NOW!
DECEMBER 3 - [TW]YOSHIRO
The brand new Return of the Patriarch Content Pack for KILLING FLOOR 2 includes the following:
  • New Boss – The Patriarch
  • 2 New Maps – Farmhouse and Black Forest
  • 1 New Perk – Gunslinger
  • 1 New Playable Character - Oisten Jaegerhorn
  • Zed-conomy and Trading Floor Store
  • Other New Features including server welcome screen, various bug fixes and improvements, steam mod and map workshop added and much more!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Demo and Medic are the last classes that needed nerfing. What the fuck is TWI doing

Tripwire's community manager stepped in to mention that both Demo and Firebug have in-progress tweaks, but nothing that was completed in time for the update. Except for taking away the only tool that made Demo worth playing at the high level. The RPG gets better ammo refills from ammo boxes, but since the spawnrate for those got nerfed so hard during Incinerate & Detonate, it doesn't do anything to make up for the now complete lack of power the class possesses.

One of the devs mentioned that Firebug's splash damage being so high is considered an exploit by Tripwire, which caused many to wonder why it's still in the game at this point if that's the case. This again begs the question - why is Tripwire not using the community to do constant iteration on classes before they become "official"? At this point, my best guess is that Tripwire uses an extremely rigid development process which doesn't work well with iterative design. That's something they really needed to work on changing before KF2 even hit EA, and now it's more painfully obvious than before that this game is in trouble if they can't respond to balance issues faster than once every 3 months.

I pretty much run Medic and Demo when with my main group, which makes this update really frustrating for me as both of them have lost a lot of efficiency.

Is no one playing on normal mode anymore? I couldn't find a single game last night and had to go solo just to test out the gunslinger. I found games at survivor difficulty but I feel a bit guilty jumping into them given that I am quite a casual player so none of my perks are a particular high level.

Dem Dual .500 Magnums are great, you can turn most enemies into mush with a single shot. Little underwhelmed by the default revolvers, I think if they had a slight boost in reload speed and little less recoil they would be more useful, still fun to shoot around with though. Desert Eagle and 1911's are fine, they get the job done.

FaceTurn

What's up with the new 9mm sound? Had no problems with what it was before. Now it just sounds weak, a bit like the medic weapons actually. The 1911 sounds weird as well.
The aiming in KF2 has always felt sluggish to me. I've mucked around with the sens but I'll just have to get used to it. Maybe too much CS for me.

spiritfox

What's up with the new 9mm sound? Had no problems with what it was before. Now it just sounds weak, a bit like the medic weapons actually. The 1911 sounds weird as well.
The aiming in KF2 has always felt sluggish to me. I've mucked around with the sens but I'll just have to get used to it. Maybe too much CS for me.

Yeah it sounds bad now. It was all right before, don't know why they had to change it.

Bluebomberimo

Neo Member
Quite Happy with how the new maps had their own unique collectibles, though the dolls and lug monster fruit things in the new ones are super easy to find, kinda makes me wonder if they'll update the older maps to have new ones but I kinda don't think they will since they already made achievements for collecting them. As for the drops thing I thin people are overreacting a bit since it isn't even fully active right now, there's only one drop as far as I've seen and it's just a single hat that all characters can wear.

Plus I think it's better that there's been such a long pause between updates since it means there should be a decent chunk of new things per big update. Though it shouldn't be too much longer until the game is out of early-access now since there are only three more classes as far as I remember that need to come out and once all the classes are done I imagine that's when they can put all of their focus into maps and stuff.

I'm hoping some things with players change as well when the game is done, Server abandoning happens way too often and though it's been rare being randomly vote kicked from servers because of randoms just hopping in a being jerks is kind of annoying. I'm still kinda eh on how little money you get since it's hard to get what you need for certain enemies before they start showing up.

FaceTurn

Is the demo lvl 15 perk, siren resistance, buggy? The demo starting gun and nades work but rockets and nade launcher get eaten up by the siren again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
One of the devs mentioned that Firebug's splash damage being so high is considered an exploit by Tripwire, which caused many to wonder why it's still in the game at this point if that's the case. This again begs the question - why is Tripwire not using the community to do constant iteration on classes before they become "official"?

EARLY.
ACCESS.
DONE.
RIGHT.
™.

Wasn't the game also targeted to "release" by the end of this year? Which it hasn't. But Dirt Rally, which came out on Early Access a bit later than it has?

I mean, I buy their "content creation time" thread on Steam and know they're a small team, but there's so many numerous missteps in regards to the Early Access here it's just sad and funny.

Tokubetsu

They seem really tied to like a 3 month release cycle outside of emergency patches. I doub't we'll get any serious balancing until they finish all the content they had planned for "Release" or 1.0. Which is at least one more class away (sharpshooter).

Top Bottom