• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Community Thread: What's Pink And Round?

I was always a fan of some of the orchestrated Kirby music from Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Playing through Dreamland 3 right now (On the SNES and boy was that a costly purchase) and I'm kinda annoyed how vague solving the little puzzles are to earn the little energy bit that stops the spread of Dark Matter. Some are easy to figure out, others...not so much.

Jeeves

I was always a fan of some of the orchestrated Kirby music from Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Playing through Dreamland 3 right now (On the SNES and boy was that a costly purchase) and I'm kinda annoyed how vague solving the little puzzles are to earn the little energy bit that stops the spread of Dark Matter. Some are easy to figure out, others...not so much.
Yeah, I pretty much needed a walkthrough at my side to list those objectives. I was terrible at the little memory game ones, but some of them were fun!

A Community thread for Kirby? NEAT

Those song titles are rich.

Let's talk copy powers! My favorites have been Tornado, Yo-yo, and UFO for the rare times when it pops up. How about the rest of you?

What's your preferred Kirby copy ability in each game featuring the mechanic? I've always had a soft spot for Cutter, though UFO's fun to use whenever you can acquire it.

My favorite copy ability is Suplex; I've been told that Back Drop is different, so I consider it a close second. These abilities don't turn up in many games, but I always go for them when they're available. I've even done Suplex runthroughs from time to time. Once I put that headband on, I just can't stop suplexin' Gators/Waddle Dees/Scarfys/coconuts/whatever!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haven't beat Dream Land 3 yet, let alone figure out how to get those collectables.

A few are real head scratches. You hear a chime in the section of the stage where the solution for the 'star piece' is, and you can see the hint at the end of the level. Other than that, it's up to the player. A few stages have taken me up to an hour to figure out. But Dream Land 3 is a pretty entertaining game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just a reminder:

95qqj.png

The OP says it's out now but it's not until tomorrow.

A few are real head scratches. You hear a chime in the section of the stage where the solution for the 'star piece' is, and you can see the hint at the end of the level. Other than that, it's up to the player. A few stages have taken me up to an hour to figure out. But Dream Land 3 is a pretty entertaining game.
Yeah, it's a great Kirby romp, even if the running feels janky and the game's slower than Super Star by a good mile. Superb audiovisuals all-around.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, it's a great Kirby romp, even if the running feels janky and the game's slower than Super Star by a good mile. Superb audiovisuals all-around.

Super Star is my favorite traditional game in the series, but I really appreciate small things in Dream Land 3 like the animal buddy animations, and some of the cooler looking stages. It's a shame many of the stage's backgrounds are rather lacking, or it could be a very beautiful title.

Chopper

I've been putting time into Mass Attack recently... oh man. It just might be my favorite Kirby game. The variation in level design and gameplay from one stage to the next is awesome. And having a whole gang of Kirbys that take on baddies together and save each other from death... love it so much.
I've had Mass Attack sat on my shelf for a few months. I think I'll have to fast-track it through my backlog after reading comments like this.

And dude, you're from 4colorrebelllion? Nice to see them repped on Gaf. Been a long-time fan. Tiny Cartridge is one of my faourite sites too.

branny

I love so many abilities that I can't choose. I recently played Return to Dream Land and was slightly disappointed by it, but the abilities are really fun if a little overpowered. Water = amazing.

Hmmm...I'd probably choose Fighter, Ice, Yo-yo, Cutter, or idk. I like too many, haha. Super Star and RtDL definitely have my favorites.

So leading up to the release of Kirby Tilt n Tumble, NoA had this strange contest where you had to write a poem with the subject being Kirby-Lore.

The prize for the winner: New Pink Game Boy Color with Kirby Tilt n Tumble and a Kickball in shape of Kirby.

So I wrote up something, tossed it in an envelope and mailed it in....

A few months later I received a box, I won! I was so surprised because I only spent two minutes on the thing and didn't even proof read the poem, lol.

I lost the GBC and Tilt N Tumble but I still have the Kickball Kirby in my office.

Poem went somthing like this...

Kirby was asleep,
there wasn't even a peep,
He was in a dream land of action,
Which was very good satisfaction,
He looked like a ball which rolled down King Dedede's hall,
He looked adorable even though he was chubby and pink,
After he stopped rolling he sucked up Sir Kibble with-in a wink,
He turned into a boomerang popping everyone in his way,
Until he found to King Dedede the final battle was at stake,
A bang and a boom the battle went on,
Till' king Dedede fell and Kirby woke up with glory and cheer,
Until tomorrows next dream land,
Where King Dedede will be near,

Epic, I know.

Kokonoe

Banned
So they actually gave him the angry eyes for the english collection? Humorous.

*edit*

I need to get a gameboy color again so I can finally try out Kirby's Tilt N Tumble. I always liked the commercial.

Drago

So they actually gave him the angry eyes for the english collection? Humorous.
Nah, that gif comes from the Japanese commercial for the collection. America still has a happy Kirby, surprisingly. :p

Great story, MintLemonade! Do you have a pic of the kickball?

Also, Kokonoe, you should wait for a possible 3DS VC release of Tilt n Tumble. It isn't possible to play the game with an internal light source (not playable on a GBA SP) if you care about that.

I really loved the Suplex ability from Super Star, especially the down attack. I also love the Cutter ability in Super Star because of the rapid close attack. The UFO ability should make a comeback.

Kokonoe

Banned
I really loved the Suplex ability from Super Star, especially the down attack. I also love the Cutter ability in Super Star because of the rapid close attack. The UFO ability should make a comeback.

I liked UFO Kirby a lot too. It's kinda tricky in a way, it's really powerful, but also really vulnerable.

Noi

Jet is so much more varied, though! It has a couple throws, a projectile (kinda), can hover and rocket jump, plus it can dash forwards through enemies.

Jet Cracker is godly.

Never said it was a better successor, but he at least still he the invincibility while dashing! Hi-Jump was invaluable to fight some of the Extra mode only bosses too.

I've never seen this one before.

snip

Dunno if you looked it up already, but you get that one from swallowing the Heavy Lobster's red jelly thing in Revenge of Meta Knight. It's pretty easy to miss!

I liked UFO Kirby a lot too. It's kinda tricky in a way, it's really powerful, but also really vulnerable.

It is, I was always super careful not to lose it because it was just so fun to use.

And you were in for a treat if you got the Paint ability in Super Star, shame it was a one use attack because it was pretty fun to just crush everything in a blast of painty goodness. If you fight the Chameleon boss, you can also learn it that way by sucking in one of the colorful balls it spits out sometimes.

nluckett

I've had Mass Attack sat on my shelf for a few months. I think I'll have to fast-track it through my backlog after reading comments like this.

And dude, you're from 4colorrebelllion? Nice to see them repped on Gaf. Been a long-time fan. Tiny Cartridge is one of my faourite sites too.

Thanks man! Yeah, I started 4cr, like... 5 years or so ago. Wow, long time. Still kickin. Definitely fast track Mass Attack. It's been a great travelling companion these last few weeks while Im away for work.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh yes, definitely. Loved Super Star and Super Star Ultra. Both are fantastic.

The game this thread has convinced me to get is Epic Yarn. I've always admired the art style and animation, plus the concept was just hilarious to me. I had fun playing it at my friend's house a few times, but it just wasn't a priority for me until I heard some of the music. I'll be picking that up sometime this summer.

This isn't the first time I've been convinced to buy a game thanks to the GAF community thread of the series introducing me to its music xP

Drago

This isn't the first time I've been convinced to buy a game thanks to the GAF community thread of the series introducing me to its music xP

You're welcome ;)

Just go into the game expecting a nice, leisurely time with some nice difficulty if you go for gold bead medals / finding treasures. It's a great game, if a little un-Kirbyish. It didn't start out as a Kirby game though so I guess that's expected :p

TheOGB

Banned
You're welcome ;)

Just go into the game expecting a nice, leisurely time with some nice difficulty if you go for gold bead medals / finding treasures. It's a great game, if a little un-Kirbyish. It didn't start out as a Kirby game though so I guess that's expected :p
Yeah, I remember hearing that story. Again, I enjoyed the little time I have spent with it but I'm finally ready to jump in and play the whole thing now.

That reminds me, I gotta get Donkey Kong Country Returns as well
dear God, I haven't gotten SMG2 yet either! >.<
. Good thing I already have Return to Dreamland. :p

Drago

I have some stuff on Wii I should pick up (Kirby Return to Dreamland, S&P2, etc.) but I'll probably save stuff until next year or something whenever the inevitable WiiU droughts start to happen :p

I really need to start picking up what I missed on PS3 though (and PSX, through PSN) so that's taking my first priority for now.

On-topic, Kirby's Pinball Land on 3DS tomorrow! To anyone here who's played it, how is it? Kirby Block Ball is one of my favorite Break-Out clones ever so I have high hopes for Pinball Land...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Toss up between Yo-yo (so swag), Plasma (fucking Goku and shit) and Suplex (WRASSLE).

I have some stuff on Wii I should pick up (Kirby Return to Dreamland, S&P2, etc.) but I'll probably save stuff until next year or something whenever the inevitable WiiU droughts start to happen :p

I really need to start picking up what I missed on PS3 though (and PSX, through PSN) so that's taking my first priority for now.

On-topic, Kirby's Pinball Land on 3DS tomorrow! To anyone here who's played it, how is it? Kirby Block Ball is one of my favorite Break-Out clones ever so I have high hopes for Pinball Land...
Kirby's Pinball Land is absolutely amazing, and is my favorite Nintendo-published pinball title...

Speaking of the eShop, I wish Kirby's Dreamland cost less.

I've beaten every modern traditional Kirby platformer (from Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland on), but I'm not super-interested in the non-platformer games. I eagerly anticipate the collection.

Drago

Yeah, $4 is too much for KDL, especially considering the games like 20 minutes long and you can get games like Donkey Kong, Wario Land, and Metroid 2 at the same price...

I really want to try out KDL2 though. Sucks that NoA is probably holding back on it since they could sell it first in the collection. :mad:

Yeah, $4 is too much for KDL, especially considering the games like 20 minutes long and you can get games like Donkey Kong, Wario Land, and Metroid 2 at the same price...
KDL1 is a really short game, but it does have replay value thanks to Expert Mode; that mode is pretty tough. Then, beat that too, and you get the code for the special options, with a sound/music test and options to set your maximum lives and health. This sets your max health, not your starting health (well, it sets both of course), and you can set it to anything between 1 and 6 (6 of course is the default). At one health, that means that one hit kills you... Expert mode's pretty tough on its own, for a Kirby game, but with reduced max health, it's even harder.

So yeah, the game is really short, but they did add a few things to give it some added length, at least.

I'm looking forward to the release of KDL2 on the eShop. After I replay that one, I'll buy KDL3, which I'm embarrassed to say that I've never played.

I will be buying Kirby Pinball tomorrow. Every Nintendo franchise should get a pinball game.

And I will say that my favorite of all traditional Kirby games is Return to Dreamland. They refined and really nailed the level design on that one. HAL deserves crazy props for some of the minor tweaks they did that improved the greater whole. Excellent game.

Uncle AJ

Creepy anime clip is creepy.

For abilities, Yo-Yo was too awesome when I first played Super Star as a kid. Lots of freedom to perform attacks at different angles. Suplex is also one of the best; toss around enemies like ragdolls for free, and one of the secret best abilities for boss fights (slam the projectiles back into them!) Plasma (Spark in Return to Dreamland) is probably the best beam/projectile ability in the series; doubles as a strong full-screen blast and protection from collision damage.

Top Bottom