• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Community Thread: What's Pink And Round?

200px-Burning.png
143px-Ice.gif

I've only played Kirby's Adventure, but it was one of my favorite games growing up. Which would be a better pickup: Super Star or Return to Dreamland?

@MUWANdo

Banned
200px-Burning.png
143px-Ice.gif

I've only played Kirby's Adventure, but it was one of my favorite games growing up. Which would be a better pickup: Super Star or Return to Dreamland?

They're both very similar and both contenders for the best of the traditional Kirby games, so you'll be happy with whichever one you pick.

My recommendation would be to pick up the new one for Wii and then grab the anniversary collection if you want more, but if you don't wanna spend that sort of money you can buy the original Super Star on the Wii VC for $8.

This thread reminded me of how I need to get Kirby Superstar Ultra! It is too hard for me to pick my favourite ability, but I do enjoy the UFO when possible.

My favorite Pink Puffball gets a community thread. HURRAY!!!!

I'm in a state of awe because it's been 20 Years since KDL. Kirby games have always been something special and if any character deserves to be celebrated it is Kirby. The games from the series have always been fun to enjoy and I think that's the main reason that the series has been around for 20 years and still going strong.

I have a huge special place in my heart for Super Star because it was the first mainline game I played. I just remember the fun times my sister and I would have just playing and exploring the cool stuff inside. One of those cool things was Megaton Punch. So simple yet a whole lot of strategy and depth. Kirby Pinball Land however was the first and I still pull out the GBA and the cart and just have some fun when I have an itch to do so. Recently Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland have just been phenomenal games which serves as reminders of how versatile Kirby is as a character and how awesome the series has been over the past 20 years. The future seems bright for my favorite Pink Puffball. Can't wait to see what's next.

The below passage from Super Smash Bros. is what made me fall in love with Kirby as a character.

The 8-inch high Kirby hails from a distant, peaceful star. Like his simplistic appearance, he is an easily-understood character. True to his instincts, Kirby eats when he gets hungry and sleeps as soon as he grows tired. Nevertheless, Kirby remains a formidable opponent. In addition to his distinct flying and swallowing skills, he also has the ability to copy enemy attacks for ever-changing action.

Describes him to a T and shows you don't need too much to be too awesome.

And VS. Nightmare Wizard from Kirby's Adventure has to be my favorite song in the series that doesn't start with the words Butter and Building. The song is just a huge contrast to the more lighthearted music you hear as you trek through the game. The music lets you know that this guy here means business and all he wants is to envelop Dreamland in total darkness through nightmares. Just a great song all around.

gerudoman

I'm playing Mass Attack right now, probably my favourite Kirby spin off. I like how it mixes touch controls and still retains some of the main Kirby's gameplay. Too bad there aren't checkpoints in the stages, which are usually too long, but I guess the game would be too easy with them. It's still really frustrating when all your Kirbys die because of an insta kill attack.

Oh, and the minigames are surprisingly more elaborated than in any other Kirby game. The pinball one is specially good and long, but it's reaaaaally easy.

Haibane

Nah, that gif comes from the Japanese commercial for the collection. America still has a happy Kirby, surprisingly. :p

Great story, MintLemonade! Do you have a pic of the kickball?

Also, Kokonoe, you should wait for a possible 3DS VC release of Tilt n Tumble. It isn't possible to play the game with an internal light source (not playable on a GBA SP) if you care about that.

It's possible to play on GBA SP if you get a cheat device that physically reverses the cart. I have a code breaker and a mega memory card and it works fine with both.

Well worth a play by the way, it's a really great game and the analog tilt control makes for really interesting gameplay.

Jeeves

Omg lol thread delivers within the first age XD

Anyways, I love you kirby!!! I own all your games!!! Please keep gracing us with many, many more years of super-fun, super-cute, super-colourful adventures. I'll try to post some of my fan-art in your honour at a later date. Right now, I'm sleepy.

GZZby.jpg

Hey, your avatar was what compelled me to try my hand at drawing Zero 2 earlier. :D

They're both very similar and both contenders for the best of the traditional Kirby games, so you'll be happy with whichever one you pick.

My recommendation would be to pick up the new one for Wii and then grab the anniversary collection if you want more, but if you don't wanna spend that sort of money you can buy the original Super Star on the Wii VC for $8.

Both!

Seriously, you're good with one or the other.
Muchas gracias, gents. I'll take your advice @MUWANdo and start with Return to Dreamland.

Fifty bucks seems like a lot, but I trust in the Ultimadrago seal of approval!

branny

^Ahhh, hold on. I want to tip it to Super Star's favor. I just played through all of these again (Super Star, Super Star Ultra, and RtDL) like a week ago, so they're pretty fresh in my mind. Super Star Ultra is clearly the best of the bunch, with RtDL coming in at the bottom of the list for me. You're going to have a blast with Kirby's abilities no matter what you choose if you're only experienced with Adventure.

It's probably more important for me to explain why I didn't like RtDL as much since it's relatively new. Return to Dream Land has the most evolved copy abilities yet, with movesets most similar to those in the Super Star games. The bosses, music, and visuals in RtDL are also really nice.

It's brought down by a few things, though:

I'm not the biggest fan of collecting random cogs in every stage. This is how the game unlocks its content (copy rooms, challenges, mini-games). You'll find anywhere between three to five (six?) in a stage. Most of them are either inconspicuously tucked away or inside a puzzle room. Some are dropped by mini-bosses. I don't like collection in platformers; only a handful of games do it right. Playing RtDL solo, you're almost always required to take a specific ability to solve a puzzle. I hate this because you won't be able to just go through stages how you want to the first time around, taking away that freedom of choice I've always associated with Kirby.

The level design in RtDL is also very simple and somewhat uninspired. It's almost infuriatingly simple. So many puzzles feel like baby puzzles. A couple of stages have a few neat ideas, but it's honestly rare for me to play a Nintendo platformer and be painfully aware of how underwhelmed I am at stage gimmicks. The traditional platforming Kirby games have never been particularly strong at this, but RtDL really disappoints me in this area. Some ideas and motifs are recycled from Adventure and Super Star. I don't know if it's just me feeling this way about the stages, but it definitely is a sore spot.

An EX mode unlocks that makes the game a little harder, but you're already God with half the abilities in the game so it's barely any more challenging. You have less life, there are more enemies (I think), and bosses are a bit harder. I'm glad that it's there, but it isn't hard enough to be considered a hard mode by any means. Arena and True Arena are great, though.

Oh, challenges: they're neat ideas but are poorly executed. You won't really return to them because each one is very obvious and very linear. You'll maximize scoring potential in no time.

You can play with others, but the multiplayer is not the game's strong suit. Kirby remains the star, so any other players who aren't Kirby get shafted. I actually don't know if the second Kirby player gets shafted, too. The camera will follow the main Kirby, and the game is over if that Kirby dies.

There are new things called Super Abilities that are kind of cute at first but eventually wreck any pace the game has going for it. You basically just plow through an entire section of the level until you run into a dimensional rift that leads you to a chase stage and cog mini-boss. Some people might like this, but most of the time it felt like pointless filler to me. I did laugh out loud at a couple cute moments. I just don't think a game that's already super easy should demand these stress-relief sections.

I don't mean to sound down on RtDL as it's still a decent-to-good game, but there is a clear disparity between the awesome/broken capability of Kirby and everything else designed around him.

As for Super Star, it's much harder to describe. It's less of a cohesive package (maybe less traditional is a better phrase), being a bunch of smaller, unique games rather than a single, sprawling adventure, but I think it's way better. Each "game" is totally different. Some are easier than others. Some completely change up goals and mechanics. Some are mini-game diversions that will see less of your time. Since you don't seem to have played it, I don't want to be too specific. Just know that the way the game is laid out makes it easier to play in shorter, more specific bursts. For example, it's much more convenient to modify your playthroughs by choosing to use helpers or not or only using one ability or taking no damage etc. The game definitely has a huge fan following for a reason.

If possible, go with Super Star Ultra. Ultra still has everything in Super Star; it just adds more content to the mix, including some standouts: Revenge of the King is basically Spring Breeze EX; Meta Knightmare Ultra takes Meta Knight through a speedrunner's abbreviated version of the whole game; and Helper to Hero is the Arena where you can play as Helpers. It also has more functional viewing space (without the UI cluttering up 1/4 of the screen) and is portable.

tkscz

Wait wait wait... reviewers hated Kirby 64? Well they can go suck a dick. That was my favorite one. The level design was creative, the difficulty actually went up as you go, mixing powers was awesome. They are crazy!

Drago

It's possible to play on GBA SP if you get a cheat device that physically reverses the cart. I have a code breaker and a mega memory card and it works fine with both.

Well worth a play by the way, it's a really great game and the analog tilt control makes for really interesting gameplay.
Oh, would you be able to point out where I could find either? Thanks. :)

branny

Yeah, get both if you can. I love the abilities in RtDL. I'm curious to hear what you think because a lot of people enjoy RtDL.

Wait wait wait... reviewers hated Kirby 64? Well they can go suck a dick. That was my favorite one. The level design was creative, the difficulty actually went up as you go, mixing powers was awesome. They are crazy!
I haven't played Kirby 64, but it looks damn slow. =\

Drago

Just a reminder, Kirby Pinball Land is now out on eShop for everyone here with a NA 3DS. $3.99

Gonna start it now! :)

Sciz

Yo-Yo is the king of all powers, closely followed by its spiritual successor, Whip. That is all (that I have time for, lest I go on about multiple facets of the series at length).

This isn't the first time I've been convinced to buy a game thanks to the GAF community thread of the series introducing me to its music xP
dohohohoho

Tomoya Tomita really is amazing, though. Check out Wario Land Shake It if you haven't already for more of his stuff.

Oh gosh. I kind of like collectathons in platformers(like the red coins in Mario), but simplistic level design isn't so great. And I wasn't going to play coop, so that part's not really an issue.

I think I'm just going to break down and get both. Damn you all.

Make sure to play the Dream Land Trilogy and 64 too. More or less, you should get the Kirby 20th anniversary collection when it comes out.

Eh? I mean, I love Kirby 64 and all, but the difficulty seemed pretty easy throughout.

64 suffered from being slower than Dream Land 3, which was already pretty-slow following the fast-paced nature of Super Star's game progression. And not only was Kirby slower, so too were the controls less-responsive and more prone to input lag. That's the experience I had, anyway.

But there are a lot of great elements that make up Kirby 64, including amazing audiovisuals and a good sense of progression.

Haibane

Oh, would you be able to point out where I could find either? Thanks. :)
The Mega Memory Card seems to be available through both ebay and amazon. It's a big yellow thing:
h2f9r.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002R108/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It's a pretty nifty device, can save the saves from gb/c carts internally. As I recall it could fit 4 gameboy camera "rolls" of pictures, for example.

I think the code breaker I have is actually some sort of knockoff, can't find anything similar now, but any cheat cart where you put the game cart in "upside down" should work.

Hey, your avatar was what compelled me to try my hand at drawing Zero 2 earlier. :D

Thanks! You're the first person to comment on my avatar! I love zero 2! He always makes for interesting artwork.

I was trying to find something to go with my username and he was the first thing that came to mind. I saved your picture for the future, I hope you don't mind :3

Drago

MintLemonade, that pink GBC you got for winning, was it exclusive to the prize you won or was it a normal, sold-everywhere GBC?

Because if it was a one and only thing that would have made me intensely jealous.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That Kirby ball is awesome!

My copy of Epic Yarn came with an actual ball of "epic" yarn; hopefully I've still got it somewhere. Some of 'em were supposed to contain prizes but I didn't wanna unravel the yarn, so I guess that mystery will go unsolved.

It's silly because it's stupid, though. "Time to Twine"? That's silly because it's fucking rhyming, man. I'd be much-more excited to play a game excited and ready to deal with twine, than one that tells me it's about how "epic" yarn is.

oh well

Top Bottom