• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Community Thread: What's Pink And Round?

New Kirby game idea time!

One of my greatest wishes is to see a Kirby RPG, preferably developed by Intelligent Systems, done in a Paper Marioesque fashion. (Not necessarily done with a paper theme, but just a bright, pop art esthetic.)

The partners and the animal buddies would be your team mates. And the hats, so many hats, would be used for field actions to progress in the game. (Making ice block bridges, yo-yoing switches, lighting torches, etc, etc, etc.)

They could even hijack the RPG "system" from The Great Cave Offensive, though I think they could probably do something more in-depth than that.

It practically makes itself.

I haven't played enough Kirby games to decide which boss I prefer the most. But Nightmare was a decent, challenging romp.

A Kirby action-platformer JRPG could be interesting, and there's always been a lot of potential for fleshing out the Kirby universe ever-further.

Kangi

Kirby MMO. Choose your color of Kirby, then go out into the world. Copy abilities will be your "classes", and you can optimize them as you please, yet still switch whenever you feel like it. Warp stars will be your mounts, with special warp stars later on like the ones from Air Ride.

New Kirby game idea time!

One of my greatest wishes is to see a Kirby RPG, preferably developed by Intelligent Systems, done in a Paper Marioesque fashion. (Not necessarily done with a paper theme, but just a bright, pop art esthetic.)

The partners and the animal buddies would be your team mates. And the hats, so many hats, would be used for field actions to progress in the game. (Making ice block bridges, yo-yoing switches, lighting torches, etc, etc, etc.)

They could even hijack the RPG "system" from The Great Cave Offensive, though I think they could probably do something more in-depth than that.

It practically makes itself.

I remember someone on KRR (fansite) was making an RPG... wonder how that went...

Anyways, I like your idea.

Or maybe the animal friends/buddies (do they have an official moniker?) could be your "summons" and modes of transportation.

Kine can be your "submarine", Coo your "airship", Rick & Nago could by used to run on the overworld faster, Pitch could serve as a delivery bird, and Chuchu can uh... fly into space on her magic broom?

Synless

Was the one on the Wii any good? I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. I guess I should ask, how is it compared to other Kirby games?

Drago

Was the one on the Wii any good? I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. I guess I should ask, how is it compared to other Kirby games?

If you're talking about Epic Yarn, it was great, but it isn't anything like normal Kirby games. It's really cheap nowadays ($20 I think) so it is definitely worth a purchase.

If you're talking about Return to Dreamland, I've never played it, but I've heard great things about that one also.

also, I see that my Epic Yarn music suggestions made it into the OP. B^)

Synless

If you're talking about Epic Yarn, it was great, but it isn't anything like normal Kirby games. It's really cheap nowadays ($20 I think) so it is definitely worth a purchase.

If you're talking about Return to Dreamland, I've never played it, but I've heard great things about that one also.

also, I see that my Epic Yarn music suggestions made it into the OP. B^)
Return to Dreamland was the one I was referring to, though I forgot Epic Yarn which I haven't tried yet either.

Return to Dreamland was the one I was referring to, though I forgot Epic Yarn which I haven't tried yet either.

It is fantastic, in my opinion. It's old school kirby from head to toe. Beautiful and cheerful visuals, great music (very kirby-like), lots of powers to choose from, INSANE multiplayer, and, while a little easy at first, very challenging later on. Plenty of content for a kirby game too.

Then again, I'm biased :3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I remember someone on KRR (fansite) was making an RPG... wonder how that went...

Anyways, I like your idea.

I personally found it pretty poor.

Kirby MMO. Choose your color of Kirby, then go out into the world. Copy abilities will be your "classes", and you can optimize them as you please, yet still switch whenever you feel like it. Warp stars will be your mounts, with special warp stars later on like the ones from Air Ride.

Make it a giant Metrodvania, a bit like Maple Story.

A gift for you, Kirby. Hope you like it :3

3kIkd.jpg

You illustrated this?

Do I have permission to save it?

It's good stuff!

Of course! This thread's for sharing Kirby media after all.

And thank you all for your kind words! It's always good to unwind by doing some fan-art. It's a nice break from the usual stuff I do at work :p

Jeeves

Oh my goodness, that's great. And the resolution matches one of my computers. As long as you're offering higher resolutions, could I get this in 1600x900 for my other one? Again, fantastic work. EDIT: I guess that would be asking you to stretch it out. Oh well.

I think one of my favorite things about the Kirby series is all the creative elements to it. The art and music in pretty much all of the games just set my imagination ablaze like few other games can. Though I don't have the artistic talent to put that energy to good use, it's nice to see the games having a similar effect on other people.

branny

What are the fastest Kirby games (aside from the spinoffs like Air Ride)? Is it Adventure and Nightmare in Dream Land? Would that include the Amazing Mirror, too?

I'm not thinking about abilities (Wheel...) so much as things like dash speed, jump distance, and how quickly you can slide spam.

I've only played the more popular games, so I'm curious.

Oh my goodness, that's great. And the resolution matches one of my computers. As long as you're offering higher resolutions, could I get this in 1600x900 for my other one? Again, fantastic work. EDIT: I guess that would be asking you to stretch it out. Oh well.

I think one of my favorite things about the Kirby series is all the creative elements to it. The art and music in pretty much all of the games just set my imagination ablaze like few other games can. Though I don't have the artistic talent to put that energy to good use, it's nice to see the games having a similar effect on other people.

I tried my best to fit it to widescreen, for those of you who wanted it.

jCcH7.jpg

Had to play with it a bit. I hope it's fine.

And I agree with everything you said about the series. I can only imagine how much fun Sakurai and the gang have just brainstorming the levels, art direction, music.

EDIT: If you guys need other dimensions just PM me. I fel bad for spamming the thread with giant images :p

Jeeves

Ahh, thanks a bunch.

I've been playing Kirby's Pinball Land, and having a pretty tough time actually moving up in the tables. Don't know about you guys.

What are the fastest Kirby games (aside from the spinoffs like Air Ride)? Is it Adventure and Nightmare in Dream Land? Would that include the Amazing Mirror, too?
Super Star is the most notably-quick mainline game. The slowest is Kirby 64, in terms of running speed and game progression
I remember being addicted to Nightmare in Dreamland, it was just so awesome.
Dude: play Adventure. It's my favorite Kirby game, and the music sounds better in the original.

branny

Super Star is the most notably-quick mainline game. The slowest is Kirby 64, in terms of running speed and game progression
Oh, wow. Really? I should go back and compare again because it seemed like Kirby's horizontal movement was a little worse in Super Star and Ultra without copy abilities. It could just be the jumping or me remembering poorly... I do need that 3D Classics version. :p

Adventure/Nightmare was pretty fast, too. It'd be interesting to see a comparison. Both Adventure and Super Star control very well, and I don't know why the developers slowed both Dream Land 3 and 64 so much.

Jeeves

I used my 3DS to pay tribute to another eyeballed Kirby boss:

oWyj5.png

Video

Pretty much just copied his Canvas Curse art, though I did add an extra touch to the spikes.

Then I messed around a little afterwards >_>:

IxE1N.png

Video

Colors 3D is a pretty swell app!

I love that he was designed with spikes. Like, you can totally see the thought process behind it. "Hey, Kirby receives damage when he touches an enemy, right? Well, why would he receive damage from a fluffy cloud? Let's add spikes to it!"

Replaying Epic Yarn for the 5th time, and oh my god it's still fantastic. Incredibly adorable, kickass music, a gorgeously crafted (pun totally intended) art style, and some really inventive platforming throughout. A feel good (pun intended again) game throughout. Definitely still my favorite Kirby game. <3

Top Bottom