• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase doesn’t know how many games FF7 Remake will be

Regardless of how many episodes there will be, I hope the party's experience, equipment, and materia carry over from one episode to the next like in Trails in the Sky.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
im hype for this game a lot.

But I am afraid of the direction they are going to take, in theory they are going to sell us 3 games where originally there was only one.

If this tactic works, other companies will copy. Imagine a Xenogears where the disc 2, we will give them to the following year and with a new price again.

Teslerum

If these games are fully fledged games with Midgar alone being 30+ hours which means they are adding a lot of story and content. Then I am fine with it. It will be just like the Star Wars movies.

Just the scale of the first boss fight was just insane. Most video game endbosses of other games were not this intense. Giving the detail hey already put in Midgar and this being a open world game the scale and production costs will be insane

Also people saying that they are milking heir fans have no idea. Anthem and EA is milking their fans. SE puts a HUGE effort into these games and the retelling of this story.

Its not. We know the overall story. Its written as such back in 1997. You're making a false comparison here. What you're talking about is taking *A new hope" alone and dragging it out over three movies

Dragging that out to this extent, without having the story and its pacing suffer as a result would be a daunting task for any writer to pull of. Somehow I reaaaaaaaallly doubt Square Enix is going to pull that off.

Last edited:

Komatsu

The gist is pretty much what I mentioned above, but obviously, taken out of context, Jason's tweet sounds much worse.

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected something was lost in translation here. Couldn't imagine Kitase, the most detail-oriented of all FF producers, spouting the words as Jason quoted them.
--

I'm pretty sure Square BD1 already has a detailed release train for the Remake. Those things can change, of course, but given the budget, the need to coordinate across in-house and outsourced teams, etc., I'm sure there's a plan.

Dunki

Its not. We know the overall story. Its written as such back in 1997. You're making a false comparison here. What you're talking about is taking *A new hope" alone and dragging it out over six movies

Dragging that out to this extent, without having the story and its pacing suffer as a result would be a daunting task for any writer to pull of. Somehow I reaaaaaaaallly doubt Square Enix is going to pull that off.
Yes we know the main and basic points of the story. But as Kitase said they will go in much much deeper in terms of character motivations etc. Normally Midgar would have been a 10 hour game max. This one looks to be a much much longer game. And not because they grind it out. but because they put much more in it. And we have seen this already in the new Trailer

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Thanks for the clarification. I suspected something was lost in translation here. Couldn't imagine Kitase, the most detail-oriented of all FF producers, spouting the words as Jason quoted them.
--

I'm pretty sure Square BD1 already has a detailed release train for the Remake. Those things can change, of course, but given the budget, the need to coordinate across in-house and outsourced teams, etc., I'm sure there's a plan.

That was very reckless and unfair of him. Normally when you do this kind of interview, you carefully listen to the recording, then you write an article about it, with all the detail, putting it in context.

You don't just throw a paraphrased, summarized, out of context tweet like that. Not cool.

greyshark

I wonder what will happen if the sales of the first or second part don't match SE's expectations. Will they rush the subsequent parts?Will they lower the production values? This is one aspect of this particular business model that scares me. Especially when it looks like they don't have a solid plan that extends from start to finish yet.

If this game bombs, they’ll just stop making more. They invested a huge amount of money in this - no way they go through that again without financial incentive.

Teslerum

Yes we know the main and basic points of the story. But as Kitase said they will go in much much deeper in terms of character motivations etc. Normally Midgar would have been a 10 hour game max. This one looks to be a much much longer game. And not because they grind it out. but because they put much more in it. And we have seen this already in the new Trailer

You're making that sound much easier than it is. And actually has been attempted in various media in the past.
Badly received, mostly (Especially on this or a similiar scale). More stuff is not equal to a better story or even benefical to its pacing. As an example: Most common and well known problem here is short and sweet and all that.

I'm skeptical from experience here. But if you have that much faith in Square Enix. You do you.
I personally just can't see it going that well.

Last edited:

Dunki

You're making that sound much easier than it is. And actually has been attempted in various media in the past.
Badly received, mostly (Especially on this or a similiar scale).

I'm skeptical from experience here. But if you have that much faith in Square Enix. You do you.
I personally just can't see it going well.
Do you honestly believe that they will sell a 10-15 hour game as part 1 for Midgar as a full product? Even after they told you that they will not disappoint people? Honestly SE earned a lot of faith with yesterdays presentation. Everything they have shown and done with this game was perfect. The way how they presented it, they way hey talked to the people, showed the gameplay etc. They know exactly what they are doing with this.

Also let us not forget that storytelling in video games changed drastically and has become much much better since FFVII was released

sublimit

Banned
If this game bombs, they’ll just stop making more. They invested a huge amount of money in this - no way they go through that again without financial incentive.
How can they "stop making more?" What will they say to the people who bought the first part(s)?

Teslerum

Do you honestly believe that they will sell a 10-15 hour game as part 1 for Midgar as a full product? Even after they told you that they will not disappoint people? Honestly SE earned a lot of faith with yesterdays presentation. Everything they have shown and done with this game was perfect. The way how they presented it, they way hey talked to the people, showed the gameplay etc. They know exactly what they are doing with this.

Also let us not forget that storytelling in video games changed drastically and has become much much better since FFVII was released

Do you..... even read my posts?

Again, not talking about video games alone. Instead I've been talking about pure principles of writing. What is easy to do and what isn't. Why *putting more stuff in* doesn't automatically make for a better story.

And my skepticism is faaaar from an insult to Square Enix. It's hard.. An amazing amount of respect if they can pull it off without losing any quality.

Last edited:

Myths

Everyone’s biggest concern was the first part being strictly Midgar, it’s shaping up to be that way isn’t it? But they have three quarters a year left, who knows what they can must up between now and then.

It’s very likely to be the case it ends just there unless the World Map and Progression gets a complete overhaul to keep us sort of on-rails to the next town.

But I see no better way to cap Midgar part 1 with their hallmark pre-rendered CG of Cloud and gang looking out past Midgar to the world for the next major objective. Bet on that one for sure ..

Dunki

Do you..... even read my posts?

Again, not talking about video games alone. Instead I've been talking about pure principles of writing. What is easy to do and what isn't. Why *putting more stuff in* doesn't automatically make for a better story.

And my skepticism is faaaar from an insult to Square Enix. It's hard.. An amazing amount of respect if they can pull it off without losing any quality.
SE does this all the time. with Kingdom hearts for example. I will be honest the whole Shinra part felt a bit rushed and they can play a much much bigger role this time as main villain of Episode 1 which Sephirot having several cameos

greyshark

How can they "stop making more?" What will they say to the people who bought the first part(s)?

I don’t think the game will end with a ‘To be continued’ - I think it will have a reasonable enough conclusion that the game can stand alone. Either way if no one buys the first game I doubt you’d see a huge outrage for a lack of a second.

Teslerum

SE does this all the time. with Kingdom hearts for example. I will be honest the whole Shinra part felt a bit rushed and they can play a much much bigger role this time as main villain of Episode 1 which Sephirot having several cameos

They... never did that?

I mean, the closest I can think of is Final Mix versions and they usually only have a few additional scenes as well on the scale of dlc.

We're not talking +50 hours of story related content here.

Or did they re-release KH and splitting it up to three different games when I wasn't looking?

Otherwise all Kingdom Hearts games, while connected by an overall arc have their own structured stories with a beginning, middle and end.

(And even then, overcomplication IS actually one of KH's biggest critisims in the community, so I don't really get your point there)

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I don’t think the game will end with a ‘To be continued’ - I think it will have a reasonable enough conclusion that the game can stand alone. Either way if no one buys the first game I doubt you’d see a huge outrage for a lack of a second.
Of course it will have a reasonable conclusion but everyone who buys the game knows that the story continues. By buying the first game the people are making an investment that the rest will follow. They can't just cancel the rest of the episodes and call it a day.
Now the question is what they will do if SE's expectations are for each part to sell 10 million copies for example (the number is just an example but keep in mind that SE is known for having crazy sales expectations) and the game sells 5 or 6 million. How will that affect the rest of the parts?

Bakkus

Having a remake for a 22 year old game be episodic is pathetic by itself. I have no idea how anyone can even defend this 1%...

Dunki

They... never did that?

I mean, the closest I can think of is Final Mix versions and they usually only have a few additional scenes as well on the scale of dlc.

We're not talking +50 hours of story related content here.

Or did they re-release KH and splitting it up to three different games when I wasn't looking?

Otherwise all Kingdom Hearts games, while connected by an overall arc have their own structured stories with a beginning, middle and end.

(And even then, overcomplication IS actually one of KH's biggest critisims in the community, so I don't really get your point there)
Not counting the 3 main games there are tons of games that actually looked like they were just mingled in to make some money. They are all over the time line but they all make sense in the end. Also I do not quote Era comments very often but this one nails it.

Midgar isn’t just A city. It’s essentially 8 large towns, filled with people, lives, stories, plus a massive ‘underworld’ that encompasses the circumference of the city. You can see the depth in the trailer zoom-out of just the upper plate; it’s large enough to have freakin highways running through all the sectors and we know a complex train system covers both upper plate and slums. There is potential for so much exploration; seeing this place as an actual living, breathing culture and not just a series of pre-rendered backgrounds with NPCs in the slums harping on how bad ShinRa is.
The Midgar opening of VII was always a ‘resistance vs evil corporation/politics’ plot that, in hindsight, always seemed pretty detached from

You have the entire ShinRa corporate hierarchy (President ShinRa, Rufus, Heidegger, Palmer, Reeve, Scarlett, Hojo) that can be expanded on. You have the Turks as a compelling (and even gray area) threat. You have Avalanche. You have a mob boss like Don Corneo. All of that and then you have either brand new characters or factions OR cut content that Nomura/Nojima remember from the original production.

Last edited:

greyshark

Of course it will have a reasonable conclusion but everyone who buys the game knows that the story continues. By buying the first game the people are making an investment that the rest will follow. They can't just cancel the rest of the episodes and call it a day.
Now the question is what they will do if SE's expectations are for each part to sell 10 million copies for example (the number is just an example but keep in mind that SE is known for having crazy sales expectations) and the game sells 5 or 6 million. How will that affect the rest of the parts?

Yes they can. If the first game loses a ton of money they’re under no obligation to make more. Why would they want to throw good money after bad?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
How exactly are the going to scale character levels, matteria and all that to keep the games feeling consistent and whole? Level caps? Are are they just going to say fuck it and it not so carry over progression and each part starts fresh...

Especially thinking that they dont know how many parts their will be, there is absolutely no way for them to balance things for the whole series.

Last edited:

Nethernova

Resident evil 2 remake was based on a small enclosed area for the most part and took 3 years iirc?

FF7 is fucking MASSIVE-to expect it in one game, in like, 5 years, is asinine and unrealistic.

Teslerum

Not counting the 3 main games there are tons of games that actually looked like they were just mingled in to make some money. They are all over the time line but they all make sense in the end. Also I do not quote Era comments very often but this one nails it.

That quote says that there is a lot of stuff in Midgar. Not really anything about my concerns or how narratives work.
Again, issue is not *new stuff to draw from* its how that stuff impacts quality and pace.
And those tons of games, again have their own story written for them as superflous as they may be considered.
They do not consist of one already written story being split up and expanded. That is a different thing.

Anyway, as I've already said: I have my concerns. No need to beat this horse even more to death, especially as we don't seem to be on the same wavelength with what we're saying.

Dunki

That quote says that there is a lot of stuff in Midgar. Not really anything about my concerns or how narratives work.
Again, issue is not *new stuff to draw from* its how that stuff impacts quality and pace.
And those tons of games, again have their own story written for them as superflous as they may be considered.
They do not consist of one already written story being split up and expanded. That is a different thing.

Anyway, as I've already said: I have my concerns. No need to beat this horse even more to death, especially as we don't seem to be on the same wavelength with what we're saying.
Here is the strange part. I was not evena fan of FFVII after disc 1 but I am already hyped a LOT for this. Kotaku also wrotes another articles. Examples

Jessie, a member of Barret’s Avalanche eco-terrorist group, has more dialogue in the 30 minutes of footage I saw today than she does in all of Final Fantasy VII on PS1. Wedge and Biggs have more personality. There are cut-scenes around every corner. It feels like a completely new game.

I just think we should trust SE here a bit. I really do not like the negativity because gamers have been betrayed by EA and Co with games like Anthem or Fallout 76. SE deserves some kind of trust here IMO

Psajdak

Banned
Personally, I don't mind it, no matter how many years pass, besides it's not like I'm in a hurry to play even Part1, what with countless other wonderful games being available.

Btw, the more I hear about this remake, the more I believe there will be a way to save Aerith but most likely after she dies, just for emotional impact, so like a resurrection sort of thing, which means ending will be different in some ways.
Or maybe they will outright just ignore her dying in original game, and just put her in a hospital for a while, like it was with Cloud, if I remember correctly.

Remember, this isn't a 1:1 remake, and they don't owe it to anyone to follow the original script completely.

I could be wrong, but I can see Aerith being well received by newcomers, or even older players, maybe even more than original one, that S-E simply won't sacrifice such popular character, especially considering this remake will possibly be made for years.

Dunki

Personally, I don't mind it, no matter how many years pass, besides it's not like I'm in a hurry to play even Part1, what with countless other wonderful games being available.

Btw, the more I hear about this remake, the more I believe there will be a way to save Aerith but most likely after she dies, just for emotional impact, so like a resurrection sort of thing, which means ending will be different in some ways.
Or maybe they will outright just ignore her dying in original game, and just put her in a hospital for a while, like it was with Cloud, if I remember correctly.

Remember, this isn't a 1:1 remake, and they don't owe it to anyone to follow the original script completely.

I could be wrong, but I can see Aerith being well received by newcomers, or even older players, maybe even more than original one, that S-E simply won't sacrifice such popular character, especially considering this remake will possibly be made for years.
No the main points will not be changed. Kitase already confirmed this.

Bkdk

SE did say they’re treating this as the final fantasy 16 project so there will be at least 3 parts like ff13, they’re also gonna add some extra content for the story within the ff7 universe which will become ff16. This type of game development philosophy will become the norm for nearly all AAA developers/publishers. Creating new characters and new setting plus lore is far too big of a risk and will take too much time, which is just not worth it for most devs anymore.

greyshark

Are are they just going to say fuck it and it not so carry over progression and each part starts fresh...

This is my guess. I think this will be ‘paced’ like the MCU - each episode able to stand alone. Will be interesting to see how they develop the later episodes, they’ve never done anything like this before. I guess you could look at XIII as a possible blueprint for how they handled the story. We could see episode 3 or 4 have Tifa being the main character.

Fbh

That's really worrying.
I can accept the game being split up but this lack of planning and "we'll just figure it out as we go" approach doesn't inspire confidence. It's the same sort of management that got us The Last Jedi (and at least they knew it was going to be 3 movies)

greyshark

There’s enough lore in Midgar that I could see them making a full game out of it. Rufus could easily pass for an endgame boss fight. And an earlier post seemed to clarify the quote in the OP that contradicts the idea that they’re just making it up as they go along.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

They fucking nailed the characterization.

Cloud is NOT an emo like in Advent Children or Kingdom Hearts. He is a a dick.

D.Final

Banned
I'm willing to bet that there was a "slight" translation error.
(as often happens, in very rapid interviews)

The speech will have been centered on
"how many parts will Final Fantasy VII Remake have?"

And the answer was:
"we have not yet decided on the final plans of the project"

What does this mean?
That Final Fantasy VII Remake will have multiple parts, based on how much content, including the expansion of the plot, will be made.

And that therefore could be 3 or even more, at their narrative discretion.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm willing to bet that there was a "slight" translation error.
(as often happens, in very rapid interviews)

The speech will have been centered on
"how many parts will Final Fantasy VII Remake have?"

And the answer was:
"we have not yet decided on the final plans of the project"

What does this mean?
That Final Fantasy VII Remake will have multiple parts, based on how much content, including the expansion of the plot, will be made.

And that therefore could be 3 or even more, at their narrative discretion.

how is that any different then "we dont know yet"?

D.Final

Banned
how is that any different then "we dont know yet"?

Reading, and writing a message (or an interview in this case) is important in writing of any type or form of language.

This journalists know this very well.
For this reason this skill can also be used in a certain way, at the discretion of the user, to convey the messages that a journalist wants to give to his readers.

In any case, it is not so much the gist of the discourse, which does not change, but it is how much media value will be conveyed by a potential message that, in terms of concept, makes perfect sense.

Since Final Fantasy VII Remake will have something like, more than triple the contents of the base game, probably at the end of the work.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder what will happen if the sales of the first or second part don't match SE's expectations. Will they rush the subsequent parts?Will they lower the production values? This is one aspect of this particular business model that scares me. Especially when it looks like they don't have a solid plan that extends from start to finish yet.

for sure the reason I was hoping for 2 parts. We know part 1 will sell gang busters. But if part 2 doesnt because it takes to long and hype fades, we are going to see part 3 (and potentially 4's) quality suffer to the extreme.

Ps5 complete edition will be a thing. 100gb blu rays will help too.

This episodic release thing games like hitman and re revelations started is just b.s..

Yumi

I may be in the minority of preferring this. I personally don't want to play after midgar on my base ps4. Midgar seems feasible to me on current gen. The amount of work they put in the first boss alone makes anything after midgar seem impossible. Summons alone, we know we wont get in the first part cause they come after midgar.

When I play ff7 today I still think, how was this possible back then, and the remake has to achieve that. Everyone is expecting them to cut corners to achieve the scale of the first game. They have a ton of work ahead of them.

That said, if the last part comes out on ps6...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I want to see the Midgar Zolom on PS5, so 1) Take your time 2) 3 games sounds great to me. Just make 2 the biggest.

"We'll just keep going until we finish. If it ends up being 7 parts, well that would be fine because it's Final Fantasy VII after all."
- Yoshinori Kitase (in his head when answering this question)

Pagusas

Elden Member
I have to wonder if they’ve even designed Vincent and Yuffie at this point. Lol

Guaranteed key art has been produced for every major character and location in the game (all parts). It would have been part of early planning and initial asset generation.

They have summon DLC so we’ll probably see regular summons in Midgar as well.
Sad that Choco Mog won’t be the first summon anymore. It was a nice way to introduce the Chocobo ranch. That location is going to be weirdly empty now if they don’t come up with some other reason to initially visit it

Last edited:
Top Bottom