• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase doesn’t know how many games FF7 Remake will be

Aggelos

I mean just look at the bright side of things. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Back in the PS3 gen era we had to make to do with a tech demo only.
Now we're getting a ginormous-vast Midgar episode-story of the FFVII world

Last edited:

SonGoku

giphy.gif

Im going to have to wait a decade before i can play the full game, won't I?

Last edited:

BunzLee

This release is going to be a mess. I'm just saying.
I'm actually a bit sad for all the fans (I don't care much for FF7 myself) because they were waiting for so long, but this doesn't really show a lot of confidence for a decent and timely release.

sublimit

Banned
Probably, but the engine is in place and that's usually a large chunk of dev time.
Update 6:20 p.m.: Game Informer reports Kitase saying that he does not believe development on further entries in the remake project will be much shorter than development of the first game.

According to Kitase, while characters and such are done, which will make some things easier, new environments will likely still take some time. “I do not expect it to be dramatically shorter,” he said.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing stretches across 3 generations of consoles.
Part 1: PS4/XB1-PS5/XBoxScarlet
Part 2: PS5/XboxScarlet
Part 3: PS5/XboxScarlet-PS6/XboxNext
Complete Edition: PS5/XboxScarlet-PS6/XboxNext

Last edited:

Senhua

Just quoted myself from another thread
LOL. Just like I said before, It's FF XV disaster all over again.

This is a series of games, not a single game broken into chunks. This is not the original FF7. So they can ended the episodes whenever they want if it's not sustainable or expect a decade until we get the final battle episode from the original.

It might be better if they change title of this game to be not misleading for newcomer and veteran alike.
"Final Fantasy VII episodes - MIDGAR" would be so much better than "Final Fantasy VII remake - part 1"

FranXico

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing stretches across 4 generations of consoles.
Part 1: PS4/XB1-PS5/XBoxScarlet
Part 2: PS5/XboxScarlet
Part 3: PS5/XboxScarlet-PS6/XboxNext
Complete Edition: PS5/XboxScarlet-PS6/XboxNext
That's 3 generations. But I think so too. Square Milkix would do that.

Last edited:

sintj_

Neo Member
I call it: even though the mechanics and the gameplay will be top tier, they're gonna screw the entire pacing of the original game, and knowing their disastrous project management i'd be no surprised if they take 3 years for each and milk us with boring and stupid ass DLC on each episode. Just think on how will they managed the consistency (even storywise) about the party being on level 1 at the beginning of each full game (because if they are really full games there's no motivation to put limitation on grinding). Like WTH?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Expect a game(s) + season pass expansion type model for this.

The balance between base and expansion content is probably the big question mark as if you look at the original FF7 as a base text to be adapted, there are pieces that could easily be sectioned off as add-ons.

For example, Yuffie's story could easily be partitioned off as an expansion pack.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not counting the 3 main games there are tons of games that actually looked like they were just mingled in to make some money. They are all over the time line but they all make sense in the end. Also I do not quote Era comments very often but this one nails it.

This game is shaping up to be great! I can feel it.

Enjay

Banned
What happend to Square? :/
They lost it at the end of the ps2 era. They were barely able to finish Kingdom Hearts 3 in 13 or so years. This is gonna be a long slow money grab as it is the last guaranteed cash cow they have barring something like a crossover final fantasy fighting game by arcsys.

Oh and wow there goes a $330 collector's edition just for episode 1.

Last edited:

Dark Oni

:messenger_neutral: great why even start a project if you don't have a clear plan on how to finish it
instead of this remake they should have started on ff16 at least it would've been a complete game from start to finish when released
now they have 15% of an old game done with no idea when it will finish and how many parts

Pagusas

Elden Member
:messenger_neutral: great why even start a project if you don't have a clear plan on how to finish it
instead of this remake they should have started on ff16 at least it would've been a complete game from start to finish when released
now they have 15% of an old game done with no idea when it will finish and how many parts

Uh huh... just like FFXIII and FFXV were complete on release... oh wait they weren’t anywhere near complete! FFXIII took two additional games, FFXV took another year+ to see its story completed through patches and dlc.

FFVII is a money maker, a golden goose and they know it. I agree it was insanely stupid of them to start it without a clear plan, but that just seems to be modern Square, they say fuck it and do whatever without thinking about it.

Last edited:

kegkilla

Banned
By the way, is the materia that they're packing in with the $330 only attainable through pre-ordering it? If so, get fucked SE.

Dark Oni

Uh huh... just like FFXIII and FFXV were complete on release... oh wait they weren’t anywhere near complete! FFXIII took two additional games, FFXV took another year+ to see its story completed through patches and dlc.

FFVII is a money maker, a golden goose and they know it. I agree it was insanely stupid of them to start it without a clear plan, but that just seems to be modern Square, they say fuck it and do whatever without thinking about it.

FFXIII I can't comment on as i only played 10 hours and hated it but FFXV was much more complete then this mess at least it had a start to finish story in one go sure the dlc and patches made it more complete but they only took 1+ year to come out with those which is not so bad

compare it to this u get pretty much only the beginning of the game half of ur party is missing, villian is missing, story is just starting and the next part won't be out for probably another couple of years and who knows how far that part will cover the main story

its not going to be a money maker for long if square's screwing FF7 fans like this

danielberg

Neophyte
So if this doesn't sell well, which I assume it will, but if it didn't, we'd be living with an incomplete FFVII game.
It appears all the good stuff remains incomplete for decades berserk, hxh, a song of ice and fire so just add another one to the pile lol
But yeah you have a better chance playing the lottery than betting on FF7r not selling well.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
They could even go full squeenix and charge $80 for the base edition (which they should) and it'll sell well.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I hope the gameplay matches the pedigree and ambition or I for one will be mildly disinterested but still probably complete a couple entries.

Top Bottom