• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima to Jaffe: "I want the God of War team to make Castlevania"

Porridge

http://wham.canoe.ca/news/2005/07/20/1139926-dcs.html

“Here I am, this kid that grew up just absolutely loving video games and somehow or other my passion for that medium has brought me to the stage of the Hollywood Bowl and here I am talking to tons of video game fans,” Jaffe said in an interview. “That was a really moving experience for me.

“And then, after that, I got to meet my idol (comic book guru) Stan Lee, who I’ve loved since I was a kid and I got to meet (Metal Gear Solid creator) Hideo Kojima.

“And what was really cool about that is that he says to me, through his translator, that they not only played God of War, which blew my mind that someone as amazing as Kojima would have played a game that I directed, but he says he loves it and he says ‘I want to work with you on a game and I want the God of War team to make the next Castlevania (game).’ “

must be the drugs :lol :lol :lol

“There were days where I thought we were working on the next big thing. And there were days where I thought ‘you know what? It’s average. It’s like a four or five out of 10 on the rating scale and it’s going to kind of end my career.’

at least he got one part right

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
impossible yes but....

believe!

SolidSnakex said:
See now Iga is going to kill Kojima. :/

Iga is good with Castlevania on 2d, he is a whole different story making 3ds Castlevania. so yes let Jaffe mess with Castlevania I don't mind :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
hell yeah. i actually just finished god of war a couple hours ago. awesome game.

do it jaffe

IGA = owned

Poor guy. All people want him to make is another console SotN-esque game. Guy makes one lackluster 3D Castlevania (well, there will be two by the time this year's up) and even Kojima is trying to get someone else to bring some fire to the series. :lol

...actually, I don't know why I'm laughing. It's kinda sad...

mosaic

go eat paint
I'd like Jaffe to make the next Mario game. Imagine how epic a battle between Mario and a couple giant piranha plants would be... and the mini-game where Mario gets it on with a pair of Mushroom chicks.

Porridge

Iga seems like a cool guy, but he hasnt quite made the 3D Castlevania that I know is possible

I wonder though if Kojima was just kiddin' the Jafster

Tellaerin

The Faceless Master said:
must be the drugs :lol :lol :lol

Oh, please. Judging by what he accomplished with GoW, Jaffe's more than capable of doing the Castlevania franchise justice in 3D, something Iga's failed miserably at. Hell, GoW was a better Castlevania than LoI was. :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Could this be the beginning of the end of metroidvania as we know it? That would be a great middle finger to Iga's console CV efforts.

I remember first playing Devil May Cry 1 and thinking "hot damn... this is how a 3D Castlevania should be!"

Haven't played GoW yet.... *awaits mobs with broken bottles*.... but it's highest priority, I assure you! :D

Shaheed79 said:
Could this be the beginning of the end of metroidvania as we know it? That would be a great middle finger to Iga's console CV efforts.

I wouldn't say that its the end of Iga's console CV's, but its not exactly good news to know that the biggest name at your company wants someone else making the series that you became known for.

Varian

It all makes sense, the God of War swings his weapons round like a whip.

I want full analog control of my whipping.

amodf

SolidSnakex said:
I wouldn't say that its the end of Iga's console CV's, but its not exactly good news to know that the biggest name at your company wants someone else making the series that you became known for.

David Jaffe presents Tokimeki Memorial 4?

Docpan

IGA is a fucking hack and the God of War team is just what the franchise needs to breathe some new life into it.

IGA-lovers, deny it all you want, but you know it's true. The series is fucking stale as hell, every single 3d outing has been mediocre at best, and the upcoming title for ps2 looks just as miserable. Bottom line, KCET sucks at 3d. And as for the 2d games, all I have to say is rehash, rehash, rehash. Yes, Symphony of the Night was a classic. The first time, that is. Time to try something new.

Oh and BTW, IGA was only part of the team for half of that project (symphony), so in my eyes he's done absolutely nothing worthwhile. The man loves to brag, yet he can't deliver. He's been burying my favorite series for years, so yes I am quite bitter.

shuri

Banned
The castlevania series has been incredible stale since SOTN. I mean, they are good games, fun to play and all, but they feel like mission packs.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Docpan said:
IGA is a fucking hack and the God of War team is just what the franchise needs to breathe some new life into it.

IGA-lovers, deny it all you want, but you know it's true. The series is fucking stale as hell, every single 3d outing has been mediocre at best, and the upcoming title for ps2 looks just as miserable. Bottom line, KCET sucks at 3d. And as for the 2d games, all I have to say is rehash, rehash, rehash. Yes, Symphony of the Night was a classic. The first time, that is. Time to try something new.

Oh and BTW, IGA was only part of the team for half of that project (symphony), so in my eyes he's done absolutely nothing worthwhile. The man loves to brag, yet he can't deliver. He's been burying my favorite series for years, so yes I am quite bitter.

*claps*

We really don't need Iga's team to take the series into the next generation...they are still learning the basics of 3D gaming design. :lol

243901.jpg

Never forget, never forget

Move Iga and his crew over to the handheld division. Let them work on PSP and DS games, but they missed the boat on learning how to make a solid 3D action title. People can deny it all they want, but Capcom made the definitive 3D Castlevania game about four years ago...

Yusaku

Shaheed79 said:

Iga doesn't seem interested in making a 3D metroidvania. Either that or he sucks at is.

Cheerilee

The Castlevania series was better back before they tried to give it leadership and a cohesive vision. Also, Kojima was better back before he became an MGS factory.

If Kojima wants to mix things up and get involved in a new Castlevania game, I say "Yay!"

Although, we all know what will happen here. Kojima will get the God of War team to port Lament of Innocence to the Xbox360, with "newly directed cutscenes". And then right before the game comes out, Kojima/Iga will announce the "real" next Castlevania game, "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 2", starring Alucard, not that gay-assed Soma Cruz, and made by the "real" Castlevania Team (which will be the MGS4 team, headed by Iga/Yamane/Kojima), exclusively for the PS3. The Xbox360 port of LoI will be completely lost in the media flurry for SotN2, so the game will bomb, and the God of War team will nearly be run out of the industry, at which point they'll start making games for Sega, before getting bought up by Nintendo.

It's plainly obvious. :lol

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I don't mind the GoW team working on a Castlevania - as long as music, art direction (character/enemy design) is handled by the better qualified: Ayami Kojima and Michiru Yamane. Perhaps that gives Igarashi and his team the time to FINALLY drop the old sprites and backgrounds they've been re-using for decades and start building a new library of sprites for a new generation of 2D Castlevania's. Probably never gonna happen, cost truckloads of money and change the Castlevania team in suicidal corporate slaves, but I'd love it.

SKOPE

Varian said:
I want full analog control of my whipping.
David Jaffe, are you reading this?

The entire time I played God of War, the only thing I thought could have made the game even better was if Kratos's blades had been controlled with the right analog stick instead of the square and triangle buttons.

Actually DMC3 is more of a Castlevania in 3D done right clone moreso than DMC1 due to the level-up and more focus on RPG aspects. (style system leveling up and such)

Also, why is everyone on the hate wagon for Curse of Darkness?

If you've read the same damn blog, you'll see Jaffe thought COD was a great game (from teh demo played at E3) and conversely a game that he's a "fanboy" of (take the term lightly yo) --Onimusha 4--, he said he didn't like it. Mostly due to the fact that he likes games with automatic cameras (thus why he likes DMC and why God of War had an automatic camera).

And I agree, I don't like action games with manual cameras. Just give enemies auditory telegraphed attacks and you don't need a perfect camera, I'll take a functional stylistic one.

AND FINALLY--IGA is a producer. Some producers are more hands on than not, but what is IGA (as an acting producer supposed to do) when his job is to make a AAA game when the predecessor was only able to ship 500,000 units worldwide? That's a good number--yeah, but not enough to surpass a DMC budget and certainly not a God of War budget.

SantaC

Naked Shuriken said:
The castlevania series has been incredible stale since SOTN

ok so that's why everyone praises AoS, and why DoS are so anticipated?

ruby_onix said:
Although, we all know what will happen here. Kojima will get the God of War team to port Lament of Innocence to the Xbox360, with "newly directed cutscenes". And then right before the game comes out, Kojima/Iga will announce the "real" next Castlevania game, "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 2", starring Alucard, not that gay-assed Soma Cruz, and made by the "real" Castlevania Team (which will be the MGS4 team, headed by Iga/Yamane/Kojima), exclusively for the PS3. The Xbox360 port of LoI will be completely lost in the media flurry for SotN2, so the game will bomb, and the God of War team will nearly be run out of the industry, at which point they'll start making games for Sega, before getting bought up by Nintendo.

It's plainly obvious.

woah, easy now junior

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is a good idea.

Iga should just stick to 2D. Creating 3D games based on 2D franchises is entirely possible and many teams have done very well doing just that. Iga's group, however, does not understand the 3D game and should just stop. If this new CV game ends up like I'm expecting, that will be strike three(dee).

I know that the whole Twin Snakes thing didn't go all that well, but perhaps Konami could work something else out? I think a CV game from the creators of God of War could actually do well. They'd have to really work on platforming, though, as GoW did not handle it all that well (jumping was VERY loose).

They just need to make certain that Michiru Yamane is involved with the soundtrack. :D

belgurdo

Banned
Naked Shuriken said:
The castlevania series has been incredible stale since SOTN. I mean, they are good games, fun to play and all, but they feel like mission packs.

Well, then again, that's pretty much all that people want out of the series anymore so you can't really blame iga

SantaC

dark10x said:
This is a good idea.

Iga should just stick to 2D. Creating 3D games based on 2D franchises is entirely possible and many teams have done very well doing just that. Iga's group, however, does not understand the 3D game and should just stop. If this new CV game ends up like I'm expecting, that will be strike three(dee).

I know that the whole Twin Snakes thing didn't go all that well, but perhaps Konami could work something else out? I think a CV game from the creators of God of War could actually do well. They'd have to really work on platforming, though, as GoW did not handle it all that well (jumping was VERY loose).

They just need to make certain that Michiru Yamane is involved with the soundtrack. :D

I agree. IGA makes very good 2D games, and he should stick to that and let someone else handle 3D.

Belfast

ruby_onix said:
The Castlevania series was better back before they tried to give it leadership and a cohesive vision. Also, Kojima was better back before he became an MGS factory.

If Kojima wants to mix things up and get involved in a new Castlevania game, I say "Yay!"

It's plainly obvious. :lol

Boktai and ZOE must be figments of my imagination...

Joeholley

TheJollyCorner said:
I remember first playing Devil May Cry 1 and thinking "hot damn... this is how a 3D Castlevania should be!"

I remember thinking the same thing - 'All this needs is whips'. Then Rygar came out, and I found the level of play mechanics I wanted in my 3D CV game. Seems like everyone in this thread has forgotten Rygar!

tetsuoxb

Im getting sick of Jaffe, and if Kojima thinks that Twisted Metal and God of War are enough of a resume to make Castlevania, it makes the other batshit insane rumor I heard about Kojima Productions seem even more real.

Gattsu25

Banned
Pakkidis@hotmail.com said:
I guess I was the only one who thought the castlevania game for N64 was pretty good then
No...you're not the only one. The games have a niche following but I'm not a part of that...the games felt overly floaty to the point of being a major distraction.

Pimpwerx

A good 3D Castlevania would definitely bring me back to the series. I haven't played a Castlevania game since the first sequel. :( PEACE.

Top Bottom