• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima to Jaffe: "I want the God of War team to make Castlevania"

DCX

DCX
Konami are you listening, your fans are speaking...listen well take notes and give us what we want STAT!

DCX

I remember first playing Devil May Cry 1 and thinking "hot damn... this is how a 3D Castlevania should be!"

I remember first playing DMC and thinking, "So this is what happens when you use the RE engine in an action game." :/

I would hope a new, because the existing one already does, 3D Castlevania would not have a shit fixed camera like the DMC series.

Give the GoW team a crack at it. They can't do any worse than Konami has thus far.

Yeah i agree with the DMC comment, i actually thought that this is Castlevania in 3D, i havent played DMC3 though.........regarding GOW comment by kojima, as long as the art department isnt handled by the same team of GOW seems ok by me.....

He said almost the same thing on his blog, minus the Catlevania part. I think he mentioned it as "something he can't mention yet" or something that effect. So I guess now he can mention it. :)

Goreomedy said:
The thought of Kojima and Jaffe working together makes me hard. Now get back to work, the both of you.

just like Kojima saying he wanted to team up with Mikami and make a more expansive Resident Evil Online?

Next week Kojima will say he wants to do a Final Fantasy, then a Surfing H30-2... fucking drunkard!

ourumov

People here is right. IGA is the shit when directing 2D castlevania but he has proven that he sucks at the same level the Castlevania 64 staff sucked if not more...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Warm Machine said:
Why would this guy want to slum with Castlevania after creating a new franchise?

How about being credited as the Director of the best incarnation of a classic series? I would go for that If I were him :)

Future

---------------
The entire time I played God of War, the only thing I thought could have made the game even better was if Kratos's blades had been controlled with the right analog stick instead of the square and triangle buttons.
---------------

Really? Only action game I've played with analogue attacks is Jedi Knight, and something like that would seem too slow and awkward for God of War. Wouldn't mind analogue related stuff though, like latching on to guys and rotating around them or swinging them around.

BirdySky

Took the "insider" bait.

:) -Cue Damage control \/
I realised he was not an insider, considering how high up at Konami I am.(-Hideo-)
I was merely curious as to what madness MGS fans have been coming up with now.
Time travel, gay action stars, phoenix from the flames chicks called Mryall...

I'm off to play my private build of MGS4, have to write down some suggestions for Kojima-San. Guy depends on me. I'm his rock.

Varian

SKOPE said:
David Jaffe, are you reading this?

The entire time I played God of War, the only thing I thought could have made the game even better was if Kratos's blades had been controlled with the right analog stick instead of the square and triangle buttons.
If you're still there David Jaffe, I have a great idea for God of War DS, where you control the God of War's blades with the stylus!

Please pass this on to Kojima/Iga next time you see them. I'll do the proof of concept in Flash.

Tellaerin

Mejilan said:
Uhhh, what? Jaffe handling Castlevania? Good lord no. Please.

Yeah, better leave the 3D incarnations of the series in Iga's hands. Because, you know, Lament of Innocence and Nanobreaker looked and played so much better than God of War. Man, that Iga... he's a regular master of the 3D action genre. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tellaerin said:
Yeah, better leave the 3D incarnations of the series in Iga's hands. Because, you know, Lament of Innocence and Nanobreaker looked and played so much better than God of War. Man, that Iga... he's a regular master of the 3D action genre. :p

Don't remind me. -_-

Doesn't mean I want Jaffe heading it up, however.

I started playing God of War today for the first time, HOLY SHIT it's awesome. The graphics are absolutely wonderful too, and the Sound FX and music ROCKS.

donny2112

I haven't played any 3-D Castlevania games, and the last two non-remake Castlevania games I played are Castlevania IV and Aria of Sorrow. Both when they came out, so I obviously missed a lot of Castlevania games.

That said, I really like Aria of Sorrow (and Castlevania III and IV) and am really looking forward to Dawn of Sorrow. I still think Super Metroid is the best Metroid and one of the best games of all time, so that may be why I liked Aria of Sorrow so much (*people keep referring to it as Metroidvania* ...). If IGA gets dishonored/insulted from this slap (deserved or not) at Konami, I really hopes he decides to join the Intelligent Systems team at Nintendo. I think they'd be a really good fit, based on the games I've played of both.

I'd be fine if he stayed at Konami and continued to make some great games, too. I just don't want his obvious talent (even if it is just in 2-D games) to not be appreciated at Konami due to a Kojima comment.

G-Fex

I'd never want castlevania to be like DMC, they're very different. It's just a action game made by the RE team and castlevania is it's on genre now with it's rpg like elements and no longer a linear game. Too bad they tried to make CV like DMC with LoI.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mejilan said:
Don't remind me. -_-

Doesn't mean I want Jaffe heading it up, however.

How about Tri Ace? Maybe Motoi Sakuraba will start making games too! That'd be like, your favorite game ever.

Mejilan

dark10x said:
How about Tri Ace? Maybe Motoi Sakuraba will start making games too! That'd be like, your favorite game ever.

Actually, I'd love Sakuraba to try tackling a CV soundtrack.

Not really sure what you meant by your comment, however. Still bitter than Star Ocean 3 sucked, and had a crap soundtrack compared to Baten Kaitos? ;p

In 3d my favorite Castlevania titles are:
God of War, Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden, and Onimusha 3.
Lament of Innocense isn't much of a Castlevania, although technically among those listed it's the only true Castlevania; still, the others listed carry on the spirit of the 2d Castlevania's gameplay into 3d, and are much better.

Grizzlyjin said:
*claps*

We really don't need Iga's team to take the series into the next generation...they are still learning the basics of 3D gaming design. :lol

243901.jpg

Never forget, never forget

Move Iga and his crew over to the handheld division. Let them work on PSP and DS games, but they missed the boat on learning how to make a solid 3D action title. People can deny it all they want, but Capcom made the definitive 3D Castlevania game about four years ago...

HAHA, I just bought that game from GameFly for $10.00

$10.00 and 10 minutes of my life wasted.

FightyF

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Why don't they just make a slide-scrolling castelvania with 3D graphics?
Wouldn't that solve everyone's problem?

I posted that idea years ago here...forgot what the response was like. But basically, if you see a hallway or doorway in the bg, you can push "up" to change the whole view to be perpendicular to what it was, and then go side scrolling down that hallway. So you'd have a huge 3D Castle (and of course you'd need a 3D map) to play in.

TheDuce22

Banned
I dont think a Castlevania game should go really deep into the whole combo system. It should be more along the lines of shinobi and nightshade.

tetsuoxb

BirdySky said:
:) -Cue Damage control \/
I realised he was not an insider, considering how high up at Konami I am.(-Hideo-)
I was merely curious as to what madness MGS fans have been coming up with now.
Time travel, gay action stars, phoenix from the flames chicks called Mryall...

I'm off to play my private build of MGS4, have to write down some suggestions for Kojima-San. Guy depends on me. I'm his rock.

Actually it was a staffing rumor as to who has replaced Scott Dolph. No one has been able to confirm or deny it so far, but the prevailing sentiment is that it was a fake.

ourumov

Actually, I'd love Sakuraba to try tackling a CV soundtrack.

Not really sure what you meant by your comment, however. Still bitter than Star Ocean 3 sucked, and had a crap soundtrack compared to Baten Kaitos? ;p
I wouldn't...All Sakuraba stuff sounds the same...

Mejilan

G-d damn it. Now I can't help but gasp at the thought of Sakuraba versions of Beginning, Vampire Killer, Illusionary Dance, Bloody Tears, Requiem, Aquarius, Heart of Fire, etc...

Damn it!

ourumov

Michiru Yamane, Sota Fujimori and Akira Yamaoka is all you need :)

Holly crap at the job Fujimori did with the X68000 remake for the PSX ! His remixes sounded awesome :)

Gc-Freak

Banned
God of War was in fact a great game. I think it could give the Castlevania series a new style, like Resident Evil 4 did it to the Resident Evil series. So lets see what will happen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Joeholley said:
I remember thinking the same thing - 'All this needs is whips'. Then Rygar came out, and I found the level of play mechanics I wanted in my 3D CV game. Seems like everyone in this thread has forgotten Rygar!

True, Rygar did many many things right in that respect. Also some of the Jacque sections in Onimusha 3 would work well in a 3D Castlevania.

Mejilan

OK. I'm certainly not GoW's biggest fan, but Rygar was just plain ass. The assiest kind of ass, and that game only cost me $5. It was such ass that I still felt ripped off. I think I actually could stand to put LESS time into that than LoI. Argh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mejilan said:
OK. I'm certainly not GoW's biggest fan, but Rygar was just plain ass. The assiest kind of ass, and that game only cost me $5. It was such ass that I still felt ripped off. I think I actually could stand to put LESS time into that than LoI. Argh.

I figured the beautiful music and incredible scenery would be enough to push you into the game somewhat...

It's not like it played all that badly...

Drek

Why would this guy want to slum with Castlevania after creating a new franchise?
Jaffe, from all I've ever heard anyways, is a long time gamer, I'm sure Castlevania was a personal favorite series of his what with them being so awesome up until the N64 incarnations. I don't know, restoring glory to a former great franchise as well as getting a fat paycheck AND getting to work with Hideo Kojima, kinda sounds like a dream job wouldn't you say?

Do you just not even like action games? Seriously, Rygar and GoW are great action games (great may be a little strong for Rygar, but its a very good game at least). LoI is pretty good in its own right.

Why don't they just make a slide-scrolling castelvania with 3D graphics?
Wouldn't that solve everyone's problem?
It'd solve the hardcore fans gripes, sure, but Konami probably wants the game to actually sell well, not just a few 100K that recoup costs.

I was unaware Kojima was behind Castlevania.
I'd say that Kojima can probably do most anything he wants with a Konami IP right about now.

Ranger X

Please listen to Kojima. Also ask him about how you should handle Suikoden because you clearly don't have a clue. tks.

I broke out Castlevania: HoD for the GBA and played the shit out of it this weekend on my DS. After a couple of hours I realized that it was just Metroid with a whip. There are worse things to be, but it chipped away a couple of levels of awesomeness for me...

This is surreal. I've voiced ever since GoW released that that game showed how Castlevania should've turned out when it transitioned to 3D.

Top Bottom