• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: GTA VI planned for Early 2025, could be delayed into 2026

Draugoth

Gold Member
e7517aecf72b00ea07c5b8d94dc756d1.jpg

Grand Theft Auto VI is likely one of the most anticipated games in history, with millions of players around the world waiting for any scrap of info or screenshot of the upcoming open-world crime simulator. However, as remote workers struggle with an unwanted return-to-office mandate from Rockstar Games, Kotaku has learned from sources with knowledge of the game’s development process that GTA 6 could miss its 2025 release window and slip into 2026.
Officially unveiled in December 2023 (after a massive 2022 leak) GTA 6 is the hotly anticipated follow-up to 2013’s GTA V. Over a decade after that game’s release—and its massive, still-growing sales numbers—Rockstar Games is hard at work on the sequel, which is set in Vice City, a fictional take on Miami, Florida. The game is set to come to PS5 and Xbox Series sometime in 2025, and internally that’s still the plan. Kotaku was told by sources with knowledge of the situation that “early 2025” is currently the goal.
At the moment, I’m told that Rockstar is still “aiming” for GTA 6 to arrive in Spring 2025. While an early 2025 release is the goal, sources say they aren’t sure if this will happen and a Fall 2025 launch seems more plausible and feasible. Meanwhile, delaying the game to 2026 is on the table as a sort of “fallback plan” or “emergency” option if needed.

https://kotaku.com/gta-6-development-2026-delay-rockstar-office-release-1851359831

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sounds to me like Rockstar forced its devs to come to work and crunch and they were told no.

It sucks but whatever. Id rather have a game that wasnt made by stressed out people working 16 hours a day. That just leads to more bugs.

Kabelly

They really cover their bases here. They want an early 2025 release but will delay it to fall because it seems more feasible but actually will delay it to 2026 instead.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I adore, like absolutely love, the complete lack of character, personality and most importantly sass in those blurbs. Like someone got all seven of them together and was like

Holy shit, y'all.

This ain't it.

Go make guides.

SUPER KAWAII NO DESU

Perrott

Gold Member
2026? Shut the fuck up, Kotaku.

Yes, early 2025 is the target, we've known that for a while since the time Strauss Zelnick promised the arrival of this game to his company's investors by March 2025. With that in mind, and T2's sort of precarious situation in the light of their lack of tentpole releases (Judas and BioShock Immortal just keep getting pushed back, Midnight Suns underperformed, Mafia IV and Civ 7 are still years away, etc), there's just simply no way that they're gonna delay GTA VI for an entire year additional year (delays have been piling up behind the scenes for half a decade now) just because developers are slacking off and trying to sell their managers on some totally bullshit completion timelines for their tasks:

If the target is early 2025, then how is it going to slip to 2026? They should be pretty confident at this point. Game should be fully playable start to finish.

Sounds to me like Rockstar forced its devs to come to work and crunch and they were told no.

It sucks but whatever. Id rather have a game that wasnt made by stressed out people working 16 hours a day. That just leads to more bugs.

Sure you would, Slimey. Sure. You want them crunching non stop and releasing it as soon as possible and next gen as possible.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
LOL what the fuck is this?

Planned for early 2025 but might be fall 2025 or maybe 2026? Yeah no fucking shit you arseholes. Just about the only date they it definitely isn't according to them is next week.

Kacho

If the target is early 2025, then how is it going to slip to 2026? They should be pretty confident at this point. Game should be fully playable start to finish.

Sure you would, Slimey. Sure. You want them crunching non stop and releasing it as soon as possible and next gen as possible.
Starfield got delayed almost an entire year. It’s not out the question a game as ambitious as GTAVI will suffer the same fate.

Quantum253

I'm suspicious of the timing and previous articles claiming Kotaku going from news to game guides and the relevancy/need for gaming news. Don't forget when you read "sources close to" could mean the guy sitting outside the building in a rant since it's a source close by.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I called this when people started that early 2025 stuff late fall 2025 or 2026 Rockstar is like valve time

People need to get back to work because they are getting paid to work. That salary and health insurance isnt charity. Lets stop this BS and make victims out of employees. Covid is long gone, get back to fucking work. Its not crunch, its people like this got so comfortable and are now thinking this is the new way the world operates but it isnt. You cant properly manage and direct 500+ people over just zoom meetings.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Who in the hell is not in the office in 2024? Covid was 4 years ago. Get your lazy asses back in the office.

Kerotan

I'm already expecting September/October next year and my goal is to clear the backlog before then. If it's delayed to 26 I don't even care at this point. My son will be like 4 my then. Crazy thought he could play it. I was in college playing GTA V.

Jayjayhd34

Might get play it in decade when the hospital get updated console the highest court in ghd land has deemed to much of a risk to general public so stuck in limbo at my just bought a nice house too...

I swear the people on ResetEra are so dumb. They’re jumping into the thread to celebrate the delay as if it’s confirmed, and saying things like “delay it until 2027 so they can keep working from home”. And everyone saying it never had a chance at releasing in 2025 anyway. WTF.

Personally, I predict September or October 2025. I would be quite surprised if it missed 2025 entirely.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I swear the people on ResetEra are so dumb. They’re jumping into the thread to celebrate the delay as if it’s confirmed, and saying things like “delay it until 2027 so they can keep working from home”. And everyone saying it never had a chance at releasing in 2025 anyway. WTF.

Personally, I predict September or October 2025. I would be quite surprised if it missed 2025 entirely.

Basically rockstar have history of annoucing release dates then delaying year. They also like to annouce games at end year and have a release date about year later.

So the pattern is off maybe they finally started being realistic with release dates who knows.

Delaying launch dates is in the DNA of Rockstar… An easy bet from Kotaku, also take your time Rockstar. Expecting a 2026 launch.

Top Bottom